Chapter 10

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 10

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“I’ll be back in a bit!” I told the boys as I walked out of the practice room. As usual, they’re busy rehearsing for the same song over and over again that it’s getting pretty tiring even to my own ears. I decided that it’d be better to just behave myself in my personal hideout than to have them suffer with my temper.

 

And so that was where I was heading – the rooftop.

 

I was waiting for the elevator to come – stomping my feet on the floor and humming to myself merrily – when it opened, revealing the person I was least hoping to see.

 

The new CEO.

 

“G-Good morning, Sir,” I greeted, bowing my head automatically.

 

Ever since this company was transferred under his leadership, everything became different. There were still peace, order, and the performance of the company was still the same as ever but the joy and merriment inside this place obviously dimmed out – everything just seemed to run out of life.

 

So all the employees still do their job – the trainees train, the idols perform, the managers assist their assigned artists, etc etc – but you could feel that they’re less than happy in doing their jobs.

 

The new CEO had been nothing like his father. Everything about him feels cold and shut out. If before, all the people in this company do well in their jobs because of their strong passion and love for the CEO, now, almost everyone just do their job in fear of getting on the new CEO’s bad side. All the joy and liveliness and merriment in this company were suddenly replaced by intense fear towards the new CEO’s strict and perfectionist rules.

 

“Good morning, Hanna,” he answered stiffly. “Where are you heading?”

 

If only the old CEO would still be here, I’m sure he won’t ask me that kind of question, I thought to myself.

 

“T-To the restroom, Sir,” I lied knowing that if I told him the truth, he would only ask me to go back to work and stop wasting my time out of nonsensical businesses.

 

He nodded his head in understanding.

 

“Well, I’m on my way to check if EXO’s practice is going well,” he explained.

 

Of course you are, I thought again.

 

Nothing’s particularly new with this. Ever since he arrived, he would constantly monitor every idol’s movements – their practice, what they do during their free time – I wouldn’t even be surprised if one day he’d just start guarding us even when eating. This habit of his made the boys more pressured in their job. If they’re working so hard before, they’re doubling their efforts now. There were times when I had to beg them to rest but their evil choreographer would just lesson me about the new CEO’s rules and all I could ever do is shut my mouth up.

 

Just when I thought he’d be leaving me alone and head off to the practice room, the CEO spoke again, “Ah, tomorrow’s going to be your first day in Inkigayo, right?”

 

I eyed him warily.

 

He even monitors my own schedule now.

 

“Yes, Sir,” I answered confidently.

 

“Goodluck, then. I hope you do well,” he said, giving me a faint smile before leaving.

 

I stared at him as he goes.

 

I wish the old CEO would come back quickly, I thought, shaking my head regretfully.

 

 

***

 

 

“Ahh, I’m so tired,” Baekhyun exclaimed as he plopped down on my bed. He crawled over and rested his head on my lap, My hand automatically went to his hair, ruffling it carefully. It felt soft and smooth to the touch.

 

“You shouldn’t have gone here if you’re tired,” I murmured, continuing the slow and careful . “You should’ve just continued sleeping.”

 

He yawned and shook his head, cuddling a little closer.

 

“You know I can’t sleep without you by my side, Hanna,” he whispered, his eyes already closed. “It’s almost like a normal thing to me – a habit, a need. I’m already too well adjusted to this.”

 

 I chuckled quietly.

 

“Well, it’s a good thing Chen oppa still hasn’t noticed,” I spoke.

 

Baekhyun and I had been doing this early-morning-sneaking-habit for months now and fortunately, we still haven’t aroused any suspicion to the members especially Chen.

 

Baekhyun scoffed.

 

“You know how he sleeps. He won’t wake up even if this whole house is burning down,” he answered, laughing lightly.

 

I gave him a playful smack in the arm, laughing too.

 

“Ya, why are you always bullying Chen oppa like that,” I scolded though I didn’t really mean it.

 

Baekhyun only chuckled.

 

“Well, it’s just the way it is,” he said, his voice muffled by another yawn.

 

“I think you should sleep now, Baek,” I ordered, trying to remove his head from my lap. He resisted and laid back down again.

 

“Let me sleep in this position,” he murmured, wrapping his arms around my thigh.

 

“How am I supposed to sleep, then?” I demanded, feeling a bit sleepy myself.

 

“You could lie down,” he countered, his voice hushed.

 

I only shook my head.

 

Just how could I resist him if he’s being like this?

 

Baekhyun was quiet for a few moments I almost thought he’d already dozed to sleep. But then he spoke, “Hanna?”

 

“Hmm?” I murmured, going back to ruffling his hair again. I know doing this makes him fall asleep quickly.

 

He remained silent again, probably pondering about what to say.

 

“Do you notice something weird about Kris hyung?” he asked all of a sudden.

 

I felt myself tense, my hand frozen in his hair.

 

“H-Huh?” I stammered. “W-What do you mean?”

 

Baekhyun shrugged but kept his eyes closed.

 

“Nothing.” he answered and explained, “I just noticed how strange he’s been acting these past few days. It’s like there’s always something that’s bothering him – like there’s something he’s not telling us.”

 

I noticed that too, I almost said but had to stop myself.

 

There’s already been a lot going on in the company and to the boys. I know how tight their schedule is and how much this whole comeback had exhausted and tired them out. I don’t want to add up to their worries just because of my stupid hunch.

 

“What do you mean? I don’t notice anything wrong with him,” I lied.

 

Baekhyun shrugged again.

 

“Maybe I’m just overreacting,” he muttered.

 

If you only knew you were right, I thought, already feeling bad.

 

I leaned down and gave him a light kiss on the forehead.

 

“Just free your mind from worries for now and go to sleep, Baek. We still have a long day ahead of us tomorrow,” I whispered to him.

 

A faint smile tugged on his lips.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter