Chapter 32

A New Beginning

Ari POV

“How was your day?” I hear someone knocking and before I hear Chung walking in, I open my eyes, turn my chair and he is already sitting opposite of me

“It was okay, I had a lot of thing to take care of today, how was yours?”

“The same” He lets out a sigh and seems he remembers something “I just received the responds of our wedding arrangement and we have the approval. So, we can let the couple know, that they can hold their wedding here”

“Aah that is great news, I will let her know immediately” Chung seems surprised and I explain to him that I know Laurian.

“Ooh you two used to be close then?” I nod and send the email to her

“We used to be close. But we time has driven us apart and maybe also a bit of stubborn ness.” He chuckles and nods, seems like he has notice how stubborn I can be

“Do you know her fiancé?”

“I don’t. Seems like she must have met him when we weren’t in touch anymore” He checks up the name and he looks questionable at me “Or maybe she didn’t have a choice.” I nod and he sighs “Well we can do our best to make it her wedding as much as possible.”

“We can and we shall.”

 

I arrive back home and I quickly take seat on the sofa… Aah I am exhausted… I have so much to do, but with little to no sleep everything is ten times harder to solve. I take out the file I received this morning and it contains some background information on misses Park. It seems that Stella and her go way back. I study the file some more, but it is awfully boring. I fill up a glass of wine and my phone gives me a beep.

Ari~ how are you? Do you want to meet up tomorrow? We can catch up and I think you can use a break! Hyukjae

“What a cutie he is” I can’t help but smile at his text and I would love to meet up with him, but I have to focus on this… I put my phone down, should I meet up with him? I doubt for some time, before answering that I don’t have time, but would like to see him soon. After sending the text, I can’t help but feel a bit awful. I did really want to see him, I miss him... I miss all of them…

 

“So I looked through Miss Park’s file” Chung and I are talking everything trough and he stops when the tea is brought “I guess you noticed the same thing as I did”

“That no one has any recollection of ever hiring her. That she was picked by Stella?” I nod and Chung points to something “Look she had been working by several hotels and by every she quite after a few months and so did a lot and lot of money. But here she has been almost for 10 years.”

“Meaning she is behind something big. That might also be the reason behind the theft here.” Chung nods as well and we go through some other files he has collected. We stop discussing theories when someone knocks on the door.

“Hyukjae?” I stand up and he gives me a nervous smile and holds up a bag what seems to be containing food “I know you told me that you were busy, so I gathered that you wouldn’t be eating. So I brought you this” He sets it down on my desks and he looks at Chung. They introduce themselves at one another and Chung politely mentions that he likes his music.

“Arian, I will be back after a while. I remembered that I have something else to arrange for the wedding” I try to object, but he politely bows to Hyukjae and also to me and leaves.

“Are you holding a wedding here?” I nod and I walk towards my desk and look into the bag

“Did you bring enough for two?” He nods “I thought you might be working late, so for dinner you can also” I take out what he prepared and open on of the containers

“You made this yourself?” He nods again and he seems to be turning red “Well I should be going. I will see you soon”

“Where are you going? Didn’t you say you brought enough for two?” He nods and he smiles when he understands what I mean, he walks back to me and explains to me everything he packed.

 

“You haven’t been sleeping well, have you?” We are done eating and after some chitchat he is finally expressing his concern. The entire time he has been making sure that I eat the healthy things. That I get enough vitamins. What is extremely sweet of him, I am just not sure to what I deserve it for.

“I haven’t…there has been just a lot of stress lately. Lot of things to plan.”

“Is that really all?” He gives me a knowing look and I let out a sigh “Part of it.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” I shake my head and he nods “So tell me about Laurian” I stare at him for a small number of seconds and then start to explain how Laurian is. But I keep on thinking on why he is still here, still besides me, still holding out for me, after the way I have treated him. He is still here making sure that I am okay.

“She seems nice, a lot like you exactly” I nod, she is a lot like me. “When is she coming here?”

“I believe in a week, maybe sooner. “

“Are you nervous to see her again?”

“A little bit, I guess I never thought we would be meeting again like this.” We talk a little more about Laurian and about the coming album. It does seem that Hyukjae is nervous about enlisting in the army.

“Hmm I have to go” Hyukjae phone goes off and when I look at mine, I see a ton of messages… I let out a sigh and Hyukjae sees how many messages I have received “Ooh boy you are really busy” I walk with him to the elevator and I can feel Hyukjae’s gaze on me. When I catch it, he quickly looks away and even blushes a little.

“Hyukjae it was so sweet of you to do this, you really didn’t have to”

“I know I just wanted to” He smiles and his lift arrives “Ari, please eat well. Sleep well, don’t let everything eat at you. You can always talk to me.” I give him a hug and he quickly gets into the elevator before it leaves. I wave at him and thank him again as the door close and he is out of sight.

 

Hyukjae POV

 

Back at the dorm, I see Jungsoo waiting for me and he is already eating something “Yo I taught we were going to eat together, where have you been?”

“I brought Ari some food”

“Aah” He sits up and wiggles his eyebrows at me “I thought you two were going to meet up another time”

“We were” I sit down next to him “She is really busy, so I knew she probably wasn’t going to be taking breaks for a meal.”

“so… you brought the meal to her” Jungsoo nods and tries to hide his smile

“What?! I was just being a good friend”

“Yeah sure, a good friend” He coughs and I hit him “Stop it, she is really busy and she only just sorted everything out.”

“A great time to make move, I would say”

“No, it isn’t…” Jungsoo raises his eyebrow “Something happened between Donghae and her, sure they got back together and recently they parted again.” I think back to when Donghae told us, he really didn’t want to think or talk about it. He seemed really upset and today when I saw Ari. “They are both wrecked. She looks like a ghost. She is so pale, she has lost so much weight, it is almost unbelievable.”

“I guess Donghae didn’t tell us everything than”

“Yeah, I guess so… But it was already clear that he didn’t want to talk about it. So, I think we should just give them space and just…” I sigh and I lean my head back. My timing is always off, every single time I have the courage to follow my feelings it just leads to nowhere. It is always the wrong time.

“It will all work out Hyukjae, just wait.” He stretches out and looks a bit contemplating “We need to talk about d&e…” I know what is coming…

 

“You all right?” Donghae and I are both exhausted from practice, but his head isn’t with us. Hasn’t been for quite some time… He just nods, but I know he isn’t, it is so easy to see. “You can talk to me” He shakes his head and just looks down

“There isn’t really much to say.” He stands up and walks away. I look as he leaves and I can’t blame him, I haven’t been the greatest friend to him lately. We have been working so much together I guess I lost sight of our friendship a little. I have been turning him down when he wanted to hang out, chill and when he wanted to talk I have been distant, business like.

“Just give him some space.” Siwon sits down next to me and we both look at Donghae who seems to be looking at something on his phone. “Right now, he is just having it hard with Ari.” I nod and it seems that Donghae’s expression is only growing gloomier the more he stars at his phone, perhaps looking at pictures of the two of them.  “Also, you have been a bit more like “

“Business with him?” He nods and I sigh “I know, we have just been working together so much for d&e, that I just kind of lost sight of like our friendship, but that is okay… Jungsoo already shook be together and I also started missing my friend.” Siwon looks happy at me saying this “Great, we all also kind of missed you two being weird”

“Thanks…” We laugh and continue to talk a little, but I can’t help but get Donghae’s sad expression of my mind. “Siwon just a sec” I look for Donghae and yes he is still standing there, just looking at this phone.

“Yo, want to grab something to drink?” I wrap my arm around his shoulder and he seems surprised by me showing up. “don’t y-”

“No, lets go” I slur him with me and I can see a smile already forming on his lips. I guess he missed me just as much as I missed him.

 

 

Ari POV

“It is kind of weird isn’t it” I whisper to Junmyeon and he nods “but better now than later” I nod and we awkwardly stop talking when the guy comes back and confirms with us that we are here to cancel the house that we wanted to buy. Junmyeon takes the lead with conforming and I do have to admit, it is nice to meet up with him again. We have been spending a few minutes, one – two hours a day with one another and my dad has also been pleased by it. But I also have been enjoying his company.

“So I will see you tomorrow than I suppose?” I open the door to my car and he seems to hesitate “Or would you like to get something to eat?” he nods and I nod for him to get in “Lets go”

“Chung!?” we are eating in my office when he barges in, he seems to be really happy about something “She cracked and now we have the solution”

“You finally used her sister?” he nods and I look at Junmyeon, we are almost done, but I don’t want to chase him out and I also don’t’ want him to hear this “Ehmm We can go to your office” I tell Junmyeon I will be right back and he kindly tells me to take my time.

 

“Is he here?” I push past Kangin and I can see that some of the other guys are also here “Ari, calm down, why are you here?” he blocks my view and I see Cho here as well.  “Don’t touch her” John is standing behind me and holds his hand against Kangins chest. He finally backs off and John heads in first “Where is Chul?” John asks

“Why are you looking for him?” Kangin asks and I simply ignore him, following John he is already looking at me and he nods. So he is here “Why are you looking for me?”

“He isn’t, I am” I see him going blank and I take off my gloves “How have you been Chul?” I pause a little, but as soon as he wants to answer I start to talk again “Anyhow, I was just wondering how close miss Park and you were”

“Not.. ehm.. Why do you ask?”

“You don’t want to tell me?” He is still looking confused and I hear Chung already walking towards us “Will you tell us after seeing this?” Chung holds up pictures of the two of them together and he holding a bag of stolen goods “How?”

“So it is you?” he is stammering and I can’t help but chuckle “You ungrateful bastard. We tried to give you a chance to tell us, but since you are more inclined to keep your silence it will be out of our hands now”

“You called the cops!” He storms closer to me and John swiftly takes him out “Try that again.” The cops come in to take him away and Chung leaves with them.

“Are you alright Arian?” I nod and thank him for protecting me

“Did you have to that?” John quickly stands before me and Kangin quickly backs off “Kangin, don’t test me.” I put on my gloves again and we leave after telling them a goodnight.

 

Donghae POV

I listen to her leave with John and I finally open the door “And where were you hiding! Couldn’t you help, huh!” Kangin burst out an I shake my head “Not my business”

“He is my friend you could have helped”

“Exactly, your friend. Not mine” I take my coat and leave as well, I am so done with this situation.

 

Going back to my flat it does feel a bit weird, the feeling still hasn’t gone away. The feeling of emptiness. I sit down on the couch and I can’t help but look at the piano. Are those? I take a closer look and some music sheet of Ari’s are still here. With a sticky note on the second page. I can’t help but laugh at the notes she made. I put them back down, it does make me sad. All these reminders around me. Making it harder to move on.

 

I take out my phone, I want to text her. I want to text her so badly. I start to type but quickly erase it. My heart skipping a beat when I see the typing dots from her on the screen. I guess she misses me as well. As much as I do. As much as I have been over the past days.

 

Hyukjae POV

“Ari?” I walk inside and she is sitting on the couch again, watching some weird reality tv show “I heard what happened” She glances over to me for a second, but than focuses back onto the screen “You also think I did wrong I suppose”

“I think you could have done it in a other way, but…Are you okay?” She stands up to get another glass of wine “Don’t” I grab her arm and she stops “What do you want Hyukjae”

“Just be real, we can all see that you are hurting, just be real.”

“I am fine…” She removes my hand off her arm and she walks towards the kitchen, I can’t give up now, she has to just give in…

“Look everyone gets hurt, everyone tries to shut it out, but that isn’t healty, look at yourself. You haven’t been you, you are acting all out. Doing weird things, just… Talk to me. What is going on. What are you feeling, why are you like this?”

“Hyukjae you are wasting your time, I am fine” Her voice is wavering, but she is still standing strong. I can try to push her a bit more but I don’t think that will do any good…

“It is about Donghae isn’t it” I can see by her reaction that it is and to be fair it hurts me a bit to see her being like this because of him. She is in so much pain because of him… “It is always about Donghae” I whisper the last part and luckily she doesn’t seem to hear it “Ari, he is also in pain. Just as much as you are” I leave, but when I close the door behind me, I hear Ari throwing her glass against the wall. Pieces shattering everywhere

“You …” She keeps on repeating it and before I know I can hear her crying. Trying not to, but she can’t hold it back anymore.

“Are you hurt?” I walk back inside and kneel down beside her, helping her up. Tears streaming down her cheeks… “I don’t want to..Ehm..” She mumbles something, I cup her cheek, but I see that she has cut her arm “Here sit down” I help her sit on top of her kitchen table and I head towards the cabinet to take out the first aid kit.

“Sit still” I put some alcohol onto her wound and I can see her shiver a bit “I am sorry” She apologizes and I raise my eyebrow at her “For what?”

“This, letting go of control”

“I am happy that you did. Talk to me”

“He said that ehm…” She pauses and her expression falls “We never talked about the relationship between him and I, how we ended, why we ended” I put on some band aid on her wound and she is looking in the distant “He had it all figured you know. What he wanted, but… He simple said that I didn’t. I was never his, although that is how he felt”

“Do you agree with him?” I soflty wipe her tears away and it is clearly to see that his words have hurt her like hell. “I haven’t thought about it yet”

“What do you mean?”

“Like you said, I don’t want to think about it. I have been putting this moment off for weeks.”

“what he said wasn’t right, he” she carefully shakes her head and looks straight at me “He was right to do so. He told me his feelings, he shouldn’t have kept them boiled up. He has done that for such a long time. He just finally told me how he truly felt. And that hurt like hell.”

“You shouldn’t keep it boiled up”

“I don’t want to think about it, because everything he said… I don’t..” I give her a hug and she wraps her arms around me as well. “Just let it go, you can’t keep on fighting it” She tries to hold it in for a bit longer, but slowly she gives in and I hug her as tight as I can, the only thing I can do right now is just to comfort her.

 

 

Donghae POV

“Hey man, you all right?’ Hyukjae is looking awfully concerned at his phone and he nods but does take me to a more secluded place. “When are you finally going to admit that you still love her? Cause she is breaking more and more”

“It is not that easy” he shakes his head and simply says that is it “ If you are waiting for some sign I hope it comes soon.”

We walk back to the group and Heechul suddenly gets up, surprised by something he is reading on his phone.

“Have you heard, they are holding a ball. A ball!” Heechul is scrambling on and I sigh “Who is?”

“Arian is, well her family is” they go one to explain that they hold one every year and this time it will take place here. “do you think we would be invited?” Heechul keeps going on and  “Have you Siwon?”

“Well… My family has yes, but I am not sure I will be going”

“Why on earth not! It would be so nice to go.. Dress up”

“Yes between some stuck up rich people, so much fun” Siwon remarks and I can’t help but chuckle a little. They all go back into there own conversations and Siwon leans a bit more towards me “Did you receive an invite?” I haven’t checked yet.”

“Do you want to?” I look down “I am not sure. I… I miss her, more and more it seems. But I don’t think going to the ball is wise”

“Only thing I can say is, she loves you. You love her. If you miss her, why don’t you try to work it out?”

“I just.. We have tried it.. I..”

“The ball isn’t tomorrow, you have time to decide.”

 

I get home and the first thing I notice when going trough the mail is an envelope  with a note etachted to it.

‘Donghae, when learning of your relationship with my daughter I didn’t take kindly to it. I forced my daughter to be with someone else, not giving you a thought. I am truly sorry for that, I learned over the past months that my daughter truly is in love with you and you are with her. And with this invite I am giving the two of you my blessing.”

I open the envelope and I see the invite indeed. “You are here by invited..” I turn it over and it seems to be an mascaraed ball.  I guess I have finally found my sign. Everyone was right.. I lay down onto the bed and hold the invite close. I hope she wants to talk to me.

 

 

I am glad that Siwon is coming tonight as well, making my nerves less obvious. “Don’t worry, just breath…”

Shortly after arriving I see Ari walking down the stars, beautifully dressed. I just can’t help but stare at her. I watch her walking down the stars. When she is finally down someone is already offering her arm and if I am right it is Chung

 

We are now all dancing, and I try to come little by little closer to her and now is my chance.

I carefully swoop in and take her hand and pull her closer for the dance “Don’t be scared, it is”

“Donghae?” She sounds utterly surprised at me and we part for a bit as part of the dance. “What are you doing here?”

“Your father send me an invite” she is looking surprised at me and before I realize it the dance is already over “My father send you an invite” She whispers and we walk a bit further from the crowd “Are you here together with Chung?”

“No, not in that way. It was just more convenient for the both of us. This way we both don’t have to go and search for a date.”

“So my father send you an invite?” I nod and I take her hand “I was confused as well, but”

“I am glad the two of you found one another” her dad asks us to join him and we are both surprised. We follow him, and he introduces us to some colleagues of him, I suppose. I see Siwon joining us as well and his father greets me warmly.

“Excuse me, I you don’t mind can I borrow Arian for a moment?” Chung gives me a slight nod and leaves with Ari. Her father continues to introduce me to all kind of business men.

 

Arian POV

 

“Chung what is wrong?’ he seems way to happy to be talking to me, I follow his gaze and it seems to be stopping by a girl, who is looking into his direction as well, not happy with the sight of me. “Aah that is the girl?” I remember when he told me that he family wanted him to marry her. “I know that you agreed to pretend to be dating me, but now”

“I offered and no nothing has changed”

“It has, Donghae is here. This is your guys’ second change.”

“And you deserve to have one.”

 

“Chung, excuse me, but your parents are looking for you” he thanks the guy and I take a deep breath “Show time”

“Mother, dad” he greets his parents and they are also very pleased to see me “Arian, always a pleasure to see you” I politely greet them and they introduce me to the girl “Chung we were looking for you everywhere”

“I am sorry father, I was”

“It should be me apologizing, I was keeping Chung busy” I put my hand onto his arm and I encourage him, he seems to give in and smiles warmly at me “Anything for you” his parents are looking confused and he coughs “Mom, dad, I am sorry for not telling you sooner that Arian and I are involved together.” They seem very happy with the news and I can see that the girl is pissed. I mean who wouldn’t be. Your change of marrying into a good family is just taken away. I turn around and I see Donghae looking at us, confused. “Please excuse me”

“Donghae?!” I try to softly call out for him and I can see that he is outside, taking the fresh air “I am just helping Chung wi-“ he takes my hand and nods “I know, don’t worry about it”  

 

“Why are you here Donghae? You said you di”

“I love you. I can’t stop loving you.” He cups my face and smiles at me “You know your dad is introducing me to all of his business partners”

“Oohh I guess he wants to turn you into more of a business man. I will talk to him about that’

“You don’t have to. I kind of like it. It also gives me a chance to really bond with your dad”

“But” he shakes his head again and yawns “I hope you don’t mind, but I will be going first. I am exhausted”

“I am glad that you were here” he nods and kisses my cheek “We will talk another time, all right?” I nod and he leaves.

 

Donghae POV

I  give her one last smile when looking back. I look for her father and I slowly walk towards him. Luckily his conversation seems to be over and excuse himself to talk to me “Donghae” I bow to him “don’t be to polite, if things go right with the two of you you will be my son in law”

“I wanted to thank you sir, for everything”

“No need. I should have done it way sooner” he gives me a slight smile and goes of to his next conversation.

 

“I never dreamed of it happening. Her dad gave us his blessing” I am relaying everything to Siwon and he seems to be happy for me. “Do you think that things will work out between you two?”

“I do. This time we will get it right. If everything works out at least” I pause and he asks me what is up “We have to go to the army soon, I am just worried that it might mess things up”

“I can see why you are worried about it, perhaps you two should take things a bit slower this time.”

I nod and he might me right. It might be better to do so. It is just that I don’t want to. I don’t want to slow done, I want to go full speed. But I know he might be right.