Chapter 48

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 48

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

I looked at my reflection on the mirror one last time before leaving the rest room. These past few days, with Baekhyun by my side, I was able to get plenty of sleep. My dark circles have begun to subside. I washed my hands on the faucet and left, wiping them with tissue as I go.

 

“Ow!” I blurted, bumping into someone again. I looked up and saw Myungsoo staring open-mouthed at me. You again? I almost said to him.

 

“H-Hey,” he stammered. I noticed how his cheeks turned pink.

 

I gave him a slight bow but didn’t answer. I stood stiffly, biting the insides of my mouth.

 

“Y-You ran away from me yesterday, Hanna-ssi,” he spoke in a whisper. I noted how his voice sounded low and husky. I blinked to clear my thoughts.

 

“I did?” I asked. I cleared my throat and continued, “I’m sorry, sunbaenim.”

 

He laughed awkwardly at this and scratched his head.

 

“It’s kind of weird hearing you speak like that,” he noted.

 

I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

 

“You can talk to me casually, Hanna-ssi,” he offered kindly.

 

I smiled at him and answered, “Well, I think you should do the same to me too, Myungsoo-ssi.”

 

He beamed.

 

“Hanna,” he said, trying the words on his mouth. I stared at him in awe. This guy’s visual isn’t joking.

 

“You can call me oppa, Hanna. If that’s okay with you,” he spoke again, clearing my reverie away.

 

“H-huh?” I blurted, unable to absorb what he said.

 

He smiled a shy smile and repeated, “I said, you can call me oppa. That is… if you only want to.”

 

My mouth remained hanging open for a while before I could answer, “S-Sure, oppa.”

 

This time he smiled – really smiled.

 

“I really want to be friends with you, Hanna,” he admitted, ducking his head in embarrassment. His cheeks turned bright red.

 

“I… I won’t mind… oppa,” I answered reluctantly. Am I doing right? This isn’t some form of betrayal, right?

 

“You sure?” he asked, raising his head a bit. He looked like he’s hoping, like he’s really wishing I’d say yes.

 

And so I did.

 

“Yes, oppa,” I answered more surely this time.

 

Myungsoo remained to stare at me. By the time he was about to speak, someone arrived, interrupting us both.

 

“Myungsoo-ya!” Sungyeol came out of nowhere. I recognized him immediately just by his staggering height. He stopped when he saw the two of us, his eyes darting back and forth. “Wha---“

 

“Sungyeol, this is Hanna. Hanna, this is my friend and co-member, Sungyeol,” Myungsoo spoke almost instantly, stopping Sungyeol from anything he’s about to say.

 

Sungyeol’s mouth dropped open.

 

He stared at Myungsoo wide-eyed.

 

“Aren’t you going to say anything to her?” Myungsoo demanded, raising an eyebrow at him.

 

Sungyeol seemed to snap out of his reverie. Clearing his throat, he turned to me, “H-Hi-, Hanna-ssi.”

 

I smiled faintly. “Hi, sunbae,” I greeted back, giving him a bow.

 

He turned to face Myungsoo again. His brows furrowed. I think he has a lot of questions to ask his friend.

 

Another person joined our small circle, I had to take a double-turn before finally recognizing who it was.

 

“Baekhyun,” I whispered in surprise.

 

He was staring at Myungsoo and Sungyeol. His eyes, when they reached mine, were filled with both confusion and hurt.

 

I gulped.

 

“Are you going to use the comfort room?” Myungsoo kindly asked him as he stepped away from the comfort room’s door.

 

Baekhyun shook his head and smiled at him gently. “No, hyung. I’m here to fetch Hanna.”

 

Myungsoo’s eyebrows rose at this.

 

Turning to me, he spoke, “Oh yeah, right. You’re supposed to perform now, aren’t you? I’m so sorry for holding you up, Hanna.”

 

My breath hitches. Suddenly, with Baekhyun around, I don’t know how to speak to him.

 

“It… It’s okay, sunbaenim,” I spoke, returning the formalities. “I think I better head first now.”

 

I gave Sungyeol and him a polite bow as I walked away. They both wave their hands at me in goodbye.

 

Baekhyun remained quiet as he followed me from behind.

 

My palms began sweating.

 

I wished he’d just say anything.

 

“I’m going to forget about what I saw and think it was a mere coincidence that I found the three of you together,” he said in a low voice.

 

I didn’t respond.

 

I ducked my head and walked faster.

 

I need to be with the other members. I need to be with Manager Song. I can’t think clearly with Baekhyun hanging around me like this.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“And… there goes another one!” I heard Manager Song announce. I hurriedly wore my sweatshirt and went out of the changing room, curious about what’s going on.

 

“What’s happening, Manager?” I asked, tying my hair into a messy bun.

 

“You’ve got another admirer, beautiful,” she said, wriggling her eyebrows at me playfully.

 

I stared at her, my face contorting in disgust. Seriously, what’s wrong with her these past few days?

 

“Who is it this time, Manager?” Kyungsoo asked from his seat on the couch. Baekhyun’s sitting beside him – I could almost feel him glaring at me.

 

“BTOB,” Manager Song answered indifferently. “Yook Sungjae, mainly.”

 

“But Hanna’s older than him, right?” Sehun spoke as he languidly gulped down a glass of soda.

 

Manager simply shrugged. “Don’t you guys usually fall in love with girls older than you?”

 

Baekhyun and I’s gaze met. I looked away almost instantly, flushing.

 

“Not everytime, Manager. But it’s surely more ideal to love an older girl,” Suho spoke, taking away the second glass of soda Sehun’s about to drink. “Enough carbonated drinks, Sehun.” he scolded him.

 

Sehun pouted and flung himself on the couch.

 

“What are you going to do if some Idol courts you?” Manager Song asked out of the blue. At first, I thought she was speaking to one of the boys. But by the sudden quietness in the room, I realized that she was pertaining to me. I looked at her wide-eyed.

 

“M-Me, Manager?” I stammered, pointing a finger at myself.

 

She nodded. “What would you do?”

 

I was wrecking my head for an excellent answer when Luhan suddenly spoke.

 

“She’s still not allowed to be in a relationship, Manager,” he said, his voice low and serious. He turned to Xiumin, “Right?”

 

Xiumin immediately took the chance to back-up his friend. He crossed his arms and added, “Luhan’s right, Manager. We won’t let Hanna.”

 

Manager Song chuckled under her breath. “Why not?”

 

“Just… no,” Kris spoke this time. “Hanna’s still a baby.”

 

The other members began to laugh but my eyes immediately shot to Baekhyun. His face was serious, blank. His eyes met mine and I knew he understands.

 

This road’s not going to be easy for us.

 

 

***

 

 

Saturday

 

 

“Five minutes left ‘til we begin, Ma’am. Please standby,” one of the staffs told me. I put my phone away and stood up. I’m already here on the building where the variety show’s supposed to be filmed. Since last night, all Baekhyun ever did was to comfort and cheer me up. I felt better then. But I could already feel the nerves coming back now.

 

I bit my lip and closed my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter