98/100 gwanshim - Pumpkin Spice & Everything Nice

The Library Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pumpkin Spice & Everything Nice
written by gwanshim
reviewed by Yeoniebb42

 

Title (10/10)
I love the title! It’s adorable and given the main antagonist, very well-suited for this story in every single aspect possible. I honestly really enjoyed all the pumpkin motifs present throughout the story from the pumpkin spice yogurt, to the actual pumpkin Kishin and then that fruit cart of pumpkins. Very nice.

 

 Plot (35/35)

       Originality (5/5)
       An intense battle between two barely coordinated youngsters and an evil pumpkin! Who would have ever thought of it? I was chuckling from the moment I read the foreword and still in that state even when I reached the ending. I’m not sure whether it’s because I’ve never watched Soul Eater before nor read any Halloween fics but I don’t think I’ve ever come across anything quite like this before. What was even nicer was that not only was the main action effectively there but so was the elegantly executed build-up along with the fluffy aftermath, the latter being like a gentle breeze flowing through long grass on a sunny hilltop.

       Believability (10/10)
       Well, of course I don’t think it would be entirely plausible for me to be casually strolling through the city in the middle of the night to see a scythe transform into a human boy and start duelling with a giant singing pumpkin which also happens to be continuously calling “Lero! Lero!” however, in this particular AU, I doubt that it’s anything out of the ordinary. I liked the way you would present each scene in a very realistic manner and judging by the way you’ve depicted the characters, their actions and reactions to various circumstances are fairly accurate. I think you’ve done a wonderful job here.
 
       Narration (10/10)
       The way in which you wrote the story was absolutely adorable! It gave off a friendly and relatable feel and I thoroughly enjoyed the way you provided descriptive details of various elements of the story. I know personally that writing action scenes is no picnic and I praise you for your successful attempt at that but can we talk about the way you described Vernon eating that quote, “god awful” pumpkin spice yogurt? You really emphasised that scene a lot and considering the events that later transpired, I can’t help giggling at the thought of it all.

       Setting (10/10)
       As if your plot score couldn’t get any better, you wow us with the setting! Why are anime fanfiction written so well?! Or is it just you~ Or me? I mean, seriously, the snoring moon? The illuminated surroundings as a cause of the discarded flashlight? But the thing that really blew me away: The town center. The fountain that was in the middle of it was catching the moonlight in the droplets of water, and it would’ve been serene just sitting there, watching the water flow - if not for the pumpkin chasing them.
The well-deserved marks of this category are indubitably yours. You painted such a pretty

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter