086. Honey over Toast.

Life As It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cold, crisp winter wind blew against her cheeks violently as she sped through the night. Her heartbeat raced along with her steps but she was relentless, allowing her footsteps to disrupt the serene peace of the neighbourhoods she broke pass.

 

Yujin was not impressed that she had to put on such an old outfit, but her gut feeling told her that it was absolutely necessary. At least for tonight.

 

Jeon Jungkook, you better not be there.

 

Once she got pass civilised areas, she started slowing down.

 

There was still a short walk to where her destination was, but her steps fell into an aloof pace.

 

The more steps she took, the more her expression dropped. Her once heavily beating heart calmed down. The wind tousled her wig behind her ears and she let out a long breath, seeing it vaporise in front of her. Her fingers intertwined in her pocket and brought out her black mask. She hooked both sides around the back of her ear and brought up her hoodie.

 

It’s fight night.

 

She approached the abandoned warehouse in the middle of the weed infested field with shrubs and trees growing around.

 

The men hanging out in front of the closed entrance spotted her and got up. She neither paused nor slowed down.

 

“Yah, stop right there.”

 

Yujin only halted when one of them blocked her way. She keep her gaze straight ahead, not meeting the man’s gaze, who was towering over her small frame.

 

“What’s the code?” a second guy asked.

 

“Break the night.” Yujin stated.

 

The men exchanged glances. “That’s the old code, what’s the new code?”

 

Something must have happened again for them to have changed the code..

 

“Yah, small girl, tell us the new code, or you’re leaving.”

 

Yujin stood where she was, as though they were supposed to let her in.

 

They exchanged glances again and nodded at each other. The man directly in front of Yujin took a step forward. “If you’re not gonna leave,” He put a hand on her shoulder. “-we’ll drag your bloody body-”

 

A gust of ice cold wind blew past and a sudden chill ran up the man’s spine. He retracted his arm in reflex.

 

“Who’s body is going to be bloody if this continues?” she asked in a collected voice.

 

“Y-you!” he stuttered before he hurriedly signalling the others to allow her entry.

 

Loud noises erupted once the doors were pulled open. No one from the inside noticed her entry and Yujin stepped in to familiar grounds. The place didn’t change much. However, that wasn’t the reason why she was there.

 

She scanned the crowds, hoping to not find the face she was looking for.

 

Yujin took her time, walking pass the whole area, sweeping across the parameter as fast as she could. She carried presence, and she knew that. The longer she stayed in that place, the higher chance she wouldn’t get out easily.

 

Everywhere she walked, people hushed down into whispers. Some knew who she was, and those who didn’t could feel her intimidating presence and they all made way for her, not wanting to needlessly get involved with her.

 

Jungkook was no where to be found.

 

Relief rush over her and she was ready to leave.

 

She noticed how quiet it had gotten compared to when she first stepped in.

 

Someone stood right in the middle of the parted walkway, obstructing her exit. “Who are you?!”

 

Yujin kept her gaze slightly lowered, her hoodie partially blocking her eyes. She did not recognise that voice and if he had to ask who she was, he definitely came after she left.

 

Small fry.

 

She kept walking and walked past her confronter.

 

Not letting her go, he turned to grab her shoulder.

 

At the very last second, Yujin dodged and moved to the side. The boy glared at her in shock but could not meet her eyes as she wasn’t looking in his direction.

 

“Haven’t you heard?” Yujin’s voice sounded low but clear. “-be careful of the cold winds,” she lifted her head and her deadly gaze met his. “-especially at night. Small kids like you should stay away.” she smirked. “-you’ll get eaten up.”

 

“YAH!!” he charged at her.

 

At the first attack, the crowd instantly created a fighting space.

 

Yujin dodged his fist and easily avoided the rest of his attacks.

 

“-WHO THE HECK ARE YOU??!!”

 

“I’m not here to fight.” she stated and took a dive as he swung his legs over her head.

 

“That’s bull!!”

 

Yujin continued dodging and it only took a few more missed attacks for the boy to visibly get tired. Sick of the pointless fight, she easily spotted an opening. The boy swung his feet again. She bent her body back and his feet swiped just above her face. Once he was in an unstable stance, she threw a kick on his back, sending him flying across the floor.

 

Her one hit caused him to sprawl over, unable to get up for a short while. Just as he was about to charge at her again, a bell sounded.

 

A lady in the crowd stepped forward. She was neither hostile nor intimidated by Yujin’s presence.

 

“It’s pretty damned obvious who won the match, wouldn’t you say?” she asked and turned to glance at Yujin. “-Wind of the Night?”

 

At the sound of her name, a wave of hushed whispers spread through the hall.

 

“I wasn’t here to fight.” Yujin replied nonchalantly.

 

“Surely there must have been something you’ve wanted if you were to appear here after so many years?”

 

Yujin refused to answer. If her name hadn’t been heard in such a long time, surely Jungkook’s wouldn’t have been around either and she didn’t want to spark any mentions of his name around here if he hadn’t come.

 

“I’ve seen what I have to see. I’m done.” Yujin stated and walked towards the door. Just before anyone managed to prevent her from leaving, she spoke up, “-and don’t try to stop me. I’ve took part in a fight. I’m free to go.”

 

The lady smirked and nodded at those who wanted to stop Yujin. They made way and Yujin walked towards the exit.

 

She was barely near the entrance when it burst open and someone barged in.

 

“YAH!! I SAW JUNGKOOK!! THAT JUNGKOOK FROM BACK THEN WHEN THE WIND OF THE NIGHT WAS AROUND-”

 

The boy paused when he saw Yujin. His eyes doubled in size. “-M-Minyu!”

 

Yujin tilted her head to one size slowly. “Minyu?”

 

“I-I-I me-mean-!!”

 

He was definitely from back then. Everyone then knew better than to call her by that name. Only Jungkook was the one that could call her that no problem.

 

“-J-Jungkook is out at the back. We spotted him.”

 

***

 

Jungkook tossed and turned in his bed. He heard Yujin’s muffled conversation with Suga and he heard them left the house.

 

He couldn’t sleep.

 

In frustration, he flipped the sheets and sat up.

 

He stood up and took a deep breath.

 

“Get your act together, including today there’s three more days left.”

 

“-you promised.”

 

Jungkook ruffled his hair. It was bothering him. Yujin’s reminder was bothering him too much.

 

He thought he could drop his friends and not care.

 

It was taking way too much effort to not care than to put in effort to defend his friends.

 

But what are you going to do? Go back to the main house?

 

Over my dead body, it took you so much effort to get out.

 

While he contemplated his options, he glanced out the window.

 

He swore a vein popped when he noticed the men camping across the street.

 

“Wow!! I love kimchi stew!!”

 

Something clicked in his mind.

 

Both Suga and Yujin knew.

 

This has to end.

 

Jungkook pulled open the curtains and aggressively threw open the windows, causing it to slam open and alerting his father’s men. He had one leg propped up on the window ledge and one arm supporting himself above his head. He stared the men down before climbing the tree and dashing off into the night.

 

The men were chasing after him. He could hear them.

 

Where should he lead them to?

 

One place.

 

There.

 

Jungkook sped up and took sharp turns and ended up in front of the Den.

 

The people around the entrance recognised him almost immediately. Ignoring them, he noticed that his father’s men weren’t behind him. They hadn’t caught up yet. He went to the back of the building and looked up. There was someone keeping watch on the second floor. He made eye contact with the guy. Sending his message across, he leaned on the building wall and waited for them to find him.

 

The men reached the place and they instantly spread out. There were eyes watching everywhere and the people who were hanging around outside the Den became more on guard at their unfamiliar faces and behaviours.

 

They ran to the back of the building looking around, but not noticing Jungkook because he had his black hoodie and black tracks on.

 

Jungkook watched them scout the area and scoffed at their incapability to see him.

 

“Nice place for you guys to be, no?” he finally spoke up.

 

The men spun around in surprise.

 

Jungkook pushed himself off the wall and glanced at them. There were three of them at the place. He remembered seeing four of them camping out and he was certain all four of them followed him. One of them must either be hiding or got left behind.

 

“-why the surprised look?” Jungkook asked. He was well aware that he was taking on Yujin’s way of speaking, but figured it was the only way he could keep his cool. “-you were supposed to monitor me 24/7, so keeping me in sight only makes sense yes?”

 

Seeing how the way they stood like they were ready to fight, Jungkook breathed out a laugh. “-okay, there’s no talking to you guys. Come at me. I need to send my father a message anyway.”

 

The men exchanged glances with one another before approaching the boy.

 

Unbelievable.

 

Jungkook ducked the first attack and landed a clean hit onto the man’s torso. He had no time to rest as the next man swung his fist at him.

 

He was outnumbered. The men he was fighting were trained in martial arts. Jungkook started getting breathless and took a few hits from them when he was unable to dodge in time. Adding to that, it had been a while since he last fought. By the looks of it, he was the only one who was getting tired. they were still perfectly fine apart from the few hits he managed to get in.

 

, I can’t hold up much longer-

 

Jungkook saw one of them aiming a punch at his face. His body couldn’t dodge on time and he shut his eyes, ready for the impact. At the very last moment, a hand pushed him away and he heard a grunt from his initial attacker and the sound of him falling down.

 

Jungkook stabled his footing and turned back.

 

His eyes slightly widened at the familiar back facing him.

 

“Yah, you damned brat, pick someone your own size.” she said and turned to him. “-don’t fight so many if you can’t.”

 

“You damned brat, pick someone your size.”

 

Jungkook recognised those words. It was the first few words Minyu spoke to him when they first met. He noticed the man on the ground clutching his stomach.

 

His father’s men were temporarily stunned at the appearance of a new character and they were hesitant to continue the fight. That gave Jungkook more than enough time to gain his composure.

 

The girl was extending an olive branch to him. It was up to him whether or not he would take it, at least for now.

 

Yujin continued staring at him. He stared right back before a slow smirk worked up his face.

 

“I do, whatever the heck I want.” he replied with the exact same words he told her on their first meeting.

 

Yujin smirked behind her mask and charged in the opposite direction.

 

There was a new found energy within Jungkook that increased with every punch and every kick along with every hit he dodged. Every time he ducked, an arm would swing past him from behind and hit his attacker. Even though they’ve been apart for so long, the both of them still had their chemistry.

 

The legendary Minyu and Jungkook combination. Every time she dodged and he attacked and they switched places, it got him even more excited. He missed fighting alongside the girl.

 

Jungkook gave one last hard punch and the last of them went down.

 

He turned to give Yujin a victory smirk but he got a shock when he saw her charging in his direction. Out of instinct he almost flipped her over but she pushed pass him and threw a flying kick at the man who was about to hit Jungkook with a plank.

 

Yujin twisted his arm behind his back and kicked the back of his knee so that the man fell onto his knees.

 

“Attacking from the back after hiding in the shadows for such a long time?” she asked. “-that’s dirty, no?”

 

Jungkook came up to the man being held down by Yujin.

 

“Tell my father, stop following us around. If you do this even more, don’t regret it when I lash back at him.” Jungkook said.

 

Yujin raised a brow.

 

“-lay a finger on any of my friends again and he’ll regret ever threatening my position in the family.”

 

When he was done delivering his message, he grabbed the collar of the man and swung his fist across the man’s face.

 

The fight was over and Jungkook relaxed. He glanced over at Yujin and the girl dusted her hands.

 

“-good fight.” Jungkook stated.

 

“‘Good fight’ my .” Yujin replied. “-taking on more than you can handle again, you damned brat. What’d I expect of you.”

 

Jungkook breathed out a laugh and after grazing his eyes over his father’s men on the ground, he turned to leave. He expected Yujin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter