076. Arcade.

Life As It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was close to midnight and Suga almost sent out a search party to look for Jungkook before Yujin said that she knew where the boy was and sent Suga up to his room.

 

She grabbed her oversized black hoodie and pulled it over her head. She took her keys and went to Jungkook's room, pulling out his drawers and took the first jacket she saw and left the house.

 

It was getting colder and she knew winter was coming.

 

So did Suga, and he was about to pull his hairs out when he realised Jungkook hadn't brought out a jacket to school that day and for whatever reasons, the school hadn't issued their winter uniforms yet.

 

Damn brat, if you want to freeze your pretty boy's out in the cold, do as you wish, just don't make Yoongi worried, dammit.

 

Yujin got to the playground and almost swore aloud when she didn't find him there. Just as she was about to leave, she heard a familiar sneeze coming from a very familiar direction.

 

The tunnel.

 

Very quietly, Yujin crept up the stairs, making sure her feet made no creaking noise. She crawled through the small playhouse, dodging poles and overhead structures.

 

She saw Jungkook's head of hair sticking out of the playhouse.

 

Just like that first day she found him there.

 

As silent as a cat, Yujin sat herself down at the opening of the tunnel. Jungkook was clearly awake, his breathing heavy and frustrated.

 

He shifted and put a hand under his head, accidentally hitting it on the side of the tunnel. Jungkook swore under his breath and adjusted himself.

 

"That's neat." Yujin stated.

 

Her unannounced presence gave Jungkook the shock of his life. He felt his heart freeze up and he jolted up to see who it was. Unluckily for him, he was still in the tunnel so his abrupt movement resulted in a painful slam of his head against the edge of the tunnel's opening.

 

The cracking sound was loud enough to make Yujin jump. As Jungkook crouched down in the tunnel with both hands over his hurt head, Yujin went closer to him.

 

"!" Jungkook cursed when the pain intensified.

 

"Yah, are you okay?"

 

"Do I LOOK like I'm okay?!" he yelled, not fully registering who he was talking to.

 

Yujin paused for a moment before she sat back down again. When Jungkook showed no further signs of standing up, she glanced at him again. His shoulder were shivering.

 

"Are you, cold?" she asked but when she went closer, she almost laughed. "-YAH! ARE YOU CRYING??!!"

 

"I'M NOT!!" Jungkook shouted but when he looked up, Yujin saw the glistening layer over his eyes.

 

Yujin bit her lips. "So-rryyyeeeheeee.." she said while laughing.

 

"Ah seriously, leave me alone!" Jungkook grumbled. "-what are you doing here?"

 

"You pulled the radio silence card. Yoongi almost threw out a search party card." Yujin said. "-why didn't you answer his phone calls?"

 

Jungkook patted his pockets for his phone and took it out of his blazer pocket. "It's dead."

 

"Oh for Yoongi's sake, Jeon Jungkook." Yujin rolled her eyes. She took her phone out and passed it to him. "-call him before he freaks out."

 

Jungkook took the device from her, scrolled through her contacts, missing the contact 'damn brat Jungkook' and finding Suga's contact saved under 'Yoongi'.

 

He called and Suga picked up.

 

"Hello?" Suga asked when he picked up the call.

 

"Hyung, I'm okay." Jungkook said.

 

There was a short silence before Suga spoke again. "....Jungkook-ah?"

 

"Yes, hyung?"

 

"Oh!! I was wondering who called." Suga laughed.

 

Jungkook raised a brow.

 

"-anyway, you're okay right? Yujin went out to look for you. I'll tell him you're fine."

 

"I'm.. with him now."

 

"Oh? Really? That's good then. See you at home." Suga said.

 

"See you, hyung."

 

Jungkook ended the call with a confused face. Yujin noticed it.

 

"What's wrong now?" she asked and took back her cellphone.

 

"Does Suga hyung not have your phone number?"

 

"Hm? Of course he does." Yujin said.

 

"Then why did he sound like he didn't recognise the number-" Jungkook paused and glanced at her phone right before it entered her pocket. "-did you change your phone?"

 

Yujin raised a brow and very quickly while her hand was still in the pocket of her jacket, she gripped it and her heart went cold.

 

She let him use her spare cellphone.

 

"No I didn't. What are you saying now?" she asked as naturally as possible and took her hand out. "-but seriously, can we go back now? Winter is coming. You're gonna die out here in the cold like this." She stood up and stretched.

 

Jungkook looked away and refused to come out of the tunnel.

 

"-Yoongi's not gonna let me into the house if you're not with me." she stated.

 

The boy made no attempts to get up and the girl made no attempts to leave as well.

 

Yujin leaned on one of the poles, looking mindlessly at the traffic on the nearby road. Jungkook breathed out slowly and saw that she was still there. He glanced up and saw her back facing him, jacket tugged closely to her body. Her shoulders shivered slightly when a small cold breeze passed.

 

Out of annoyance, Jungkook stood up, this time careful not to hit his head again. He jumped off the playhouse from one of the openings. Yujin heard it and turned around to find the tunnel empty and the boy already walking away, in the direction of home.

 

"Yah, aren't you cold??" Yujin asked as she caught up to him.

 

"No."

 

But he sniffled.

 

Yujin rolled her eyes and threw the jacket she got from his drawer over his head. "Don't catch a cold please. I won't take care of you as well as you did for me when I wasn't well and I won't have a repeat of everyone falling sick and staying together." she mindlessly said and walked on, not noticing that Jungkook had stopped in his tracks.

 

When she did, she turned back. Jungkook was caught up in his thoughts about the times the eight of them were sick and many other memories.

 

"Jeon Ju-"

 

"Why are you all still friends with me?" Jungkook asked, taking Yujin by surprise.

 

She stared at him for a while, her face honestly blank. She bit back the sarcastic remark that threatened to slip

 

"What now?" she asked.

 

Jungkook fisted the jacket in his hand, not putting it on.

 

Yujin sighed and rubbed the back of her neck, letting her hang from her neck. "-what happened to you, exactly?" she asked. "-ever since the gala Yoongi's household held, you've been acting weird. Being friendly and then turning hostile. Hanging around us then suddenly ditching."

 

When Jungkook offered no response, Yujin shoved her hands into the pockets of her jacket. "-I'm going back now. It's too cold for me out here." she glanced at Jungkook one more time as she got ready to walk. "-I'm going to visit Kim Taehyung again tomorrow morning. Coming?"

 

"I don't deserve to be his friend."

 

Those words halted Yujin's steps and this time, she faced the boy straight on. "Jeon Jungkook stop being so indecisive and doubtful about the friendship you have with the other guys because we're not gonna start talking about this topic over and over-"

 

Jungkook snapped and threw his jacket onto the ground. "MY FATHER WAS INVOLVED WITH TAE'S CASE! ALRIGHT?" he yelled. "-now, TELL me, how?? HOW am I supposed to face him??!!"

 

Yujin was stunned for a few seconds. A small frown was embedding itself between her brows.

 

"..what.... do you mean, your father was.. involved?"

 

Jungkook raked his hair a few times in frustration and Yujin swore he could have cried in anger.

 

"That guy who gave the envelop to that JYP guy this morning!" Jungkook said through gritted teeth. Yujin could tell he was using a lot of energy to prevent himself from throwing punches to release his frustration.

 

"-he's my father's secretary. He gave money to the JYP guy and ASSURED that his suspension will be off records. That man, he- AAARGGHHHH!!!!!!"

 

Yujin stood there as she watched Jungkook step back and swung his hands, punching the air, showing how much frustration he had pent up.

 

As Jungkook paced around with a perplexed frown on his face and constantly raking his hands through his hair upwards (Yujin was still certain he was about to cry), she picked up his jacket and dusted it. When he faced her, she handed it to him.

 

"Winter is coming." she stated.

 

Jungkook saw her as a lost cause and talking back to her was the same as setting himself on fire. He snatched it and took off his blazer, put on the jacket before layering his blazer over it, all done with much strength because he had yet to calm down.

 

"-having that much anger in you is gonna kill you." Yujin said. "-wanna go let off some steam?"

 

The first thing that popped up in Jungkook's mind was the Den. It was the only place he knew off that could let him release his frustrations. However, he pegged Yujin as just a normal person without knowledge of the place since he saw her wondering around that area before without a single hint of fear.

 

"-I know of an arcade that still opens at this hour." Yujin said.

 

When Jungkook didn't reply her, she took it as an 'ok' and went ahead.

 

***

 

Yujin reached earlier and as she waited for the slow poke to take his time, she folded her arms and stood in the middle of the entrance way, not minding the curious glances she received from the people inside the place. Jungkook finally came and stood next to her, glancing up at the name board just like she had been doing. Yujin entered the place when Jungkook reached.

 

He followed her in and observed his surrounding.

 

It was an hour past midnight but the place was still bustling with life. High school students to young working adults were all over the place. It didn't seem as huge from the exterior, but it was spacious and Jungkook didn't know if he saw the end of the place.

 

"Yah, pretty boy idiot."

 

Jungkook responded automatically to that nickname without being upset. Yujin gestured him over with her head and he followed her further into the arcade. As he followed her, the few many people they passed by looked up from their games, some even halting and pausing to take a good glance at Jungkook.

 

Maybe it was a coincidence or maybe it was intentional on Yujin's part to bring him a jacket with a hoodie. Before Jungkook had entered the arcade with her, he had habitually pulled it over his hair, masking his face partially from the side.

 

As they walked further in, Jungkook heard a loud slamming sound, followed by hoots and cheers from a crowd of people. He saw Yujin approaching the crowd and before he lost her, he ran up to her.

 

As though knowing Jungkook was coming after her, she stopped right before joining the group of people. Without saying anything, she wrapped her fingers firmly around his wrist. They weaved through the crowd with a little difficulty and when another smashing sound came, Jungkook saw the source of it.

 

Yujin smiled in satisfaction and turned to Jungkook. "How's this?"

 

Jungkook gave her an odd look.

 

"-why? Release your frustrations." she explained above the noise. "-besides, you're always fighting and throwing punches, you should be able to break the record, no?"

 

"Is there no one else to rival this record??" someone yelled.

 

"Oh, and if you get the best record for tonight, you get a free gift." Yujin noted. Jungkook's eyes wandered up to the highest record displa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter