Park

My Unlucky Girl

 

Jaejoong’s POV

For the following days, Nam was actually ignoring me.

Okay… I know she’s smiling and answering whenever I’m talking to her, but that’s all. And about being my maid, well, she visits the condo unit whenever I’m out or something and I think she’s doing it on purpose, so she won’t see me. Aissh! I’m trying everything I can to get some more time with her. But she keeps dodging me. What’s going on?

I headed straight home after one of the tiring shooting. Ahh… It’s all right, the shooting will end soon. Maybe about one week more?

When I opened the door…

*Aigooo! Finally, she’s still here. Maybe… cleaning?*

“Yah, maid. You’re still here.” I said, unintelligently when I saw her.

“Oh, uhm… deh.  Jaejoong-sshi? I have something to tell you… can we take a walk somewhere?”

……

We walked to the nearest park, which she picked. It was deserted since it’s already late. Park. She was as always childish…

She headed straight for the swings smiling as she sat down on it. I sat beside her, hesitant.

“Jaejoong-sshi?” she whispered.

“Hmm?” I answered, looking at her. She smiled staring straight ahead as she swung.

“I’m really grateful for the things you’ve done for me.” She said.

“What’re you talking about? I’m not doing anything for you… And, why are you telling me this… as if you’re going away.” I replied.

“I think you’ve done so much for me, you know. Gomawo, Jaejoong-sshi, for everything.”

I sighed, “Okay… You’re welcome.” Then we fell silent, the squeaking of the swing was the only sound in the park.

I cleared my throat lightly, “Maid?” I said softly looking at her.

“Deh?” she answered, still not looking at me but at the stars above.

“Is there something wrong? Uh…you seemed different from the time that you lived in that apartment.” I said.

She laughed softly, “Nothing’s wrong, Jaejoong-sshi. Everything’s okay.” She answered, but her voice doesn’t even sound okay. But I nodded.

“You know what Jaejoong-sshi? There are some things in this world that one cannot have.” She said suddenly, looking at the dark sky.

“There are some things that no matter how you want it, there’s always something that’ll be there to stop you from having them.” She continued.

“I know.” I replied softly. The bright moon above was our only light in the park.

She smiled. “But maybe… even from the beginning it doesn’t belong to you, right? Maybe you are not destined for each other.” She stopped her swing from swinging.

“But… what if you’re truly destined for each other?” I said, softly. The smile on her lips faded, stunned at my answer.

“Would you give up that easily just because something comes in your way? Would you?” I whispered.

She beamed then, looking at me for the first time when we came in the park. She smiled, but it doesn’t seem like a smile to me.

“We should go home.” She said standing up and started walking.

I stood up too. “You didn’t answer my question.” I said. She stopped in midstride, not turning back.

I stepped closer to her. “Would you? Would you give up?” I asked again.

She answered with the saddest voice I ever heard, “I don’t have a choice…Jaejoong-sshi.”

She turned, “I should go now… I’m sorry for bothering you.” She bowed and started to walk away.

But then I strode towards her and grabbed her hand, stopping her.

“You shouldn’t do this.” I said, her back turned towards me.

“Jaejoong-sshi… I really have to go.” Her voice broke.

I pulled her hand and brought her to my arms, her head on my chest. I can smell her sweet scent.

“You don’t have to hold it back. You don’t have to hold back anything to me, Park Nam.” I said. For the first time saying her name. “I don’t care if you cry on my expensive clothes. Just… Nam, don’t hold back your tears in front of me.” I whispered.

And then, she began to cry.