Goodbye

My Unlucky Girl

 

Nam’s POV

“Annyeonghaseyo!” I greeted as happily as I could manage, as I held the wireless phone in Jaejoong-sshi’s living room.

“Nam? Is that you?” she asked, sounding concerned.

“YuRin-ahh.” I smiled, tears coming down my cheeks. I wiped them hastily.

“You’re crying aren’t you? Are you okay? What happened?” she asked. I really missed her a lot. I missed my best friend.

I told her everything about Sunyi and the guy I like. I never told her his name, and she still understands me. It’s for her own good too.

“Poor, Nam-ahh. Don’t worry I have a friend who owns a small apartment there at Seoul. You can go to that place and I’ll just call her later, okay? And for the debt that you have with this guy… I can loan you my savings too. It’s not too much. But I think it will cover your debt. You can pay me if ever you had the money… or wait, just don’t pay me at all but just treat me for an ice cream, arasso?” She said, and I can feel her smile kindly at the end of the other line. I started to cry again and smile at the same time

“Gomawo, YuRin-ahh… You’re really the best.” I said, wiping my cheeks.

“Aww…You’re the best too, bestie…You really like this guy, don’t you?” she asked, gently.

“Y-Yes, I think I do.” I said, now sure of my feelings. “And I know it’s wrong, and I’m going to stop these feelings.” I said.

“You know, Nam? I know you are hurting, but you can’t ignore these feelings…” she said softly.

“I know. But I really should, YuRin-ahh. I really should.”

Jaejoong’s POV

“Maid?” I called. She went out of her room.

“Oh, you’re home, Jaejoong-sshi. Are you okay? You’re sweating a lot.” She said.

“Uh…yes. It’s just hot…Are you okay now?” I asked. She looked healthy to me.

“Okay?” she asked confused.

“Sunyi said that you were not feeling well.” I said, almost as confused as she is.

“Ahh… deh. I-I felt a little sick earlier but I’m okay now.” she confirmed, uncomfortable, not looking me in the eyes.

“Maid?” I said, stepping closer. “Are you hiding something from me?” he asked, arms crossed.

“Uh…Of course not.”she faked a smile, stepping back. “Ahm… Should I cook you some food?” she said, changing the subject.

I shook my head.

“Oh…Okay.” she said.

Then, I noticed it. “What that? In your wrist?” I held her wrist gently. The bruise was new, still fresh, it covers her wrist. She flinched when I touched it.

“Where did you get this?” I asked her.

She suddenly pulled her hand back. Then smiled. “Oh, nothing.” She replied, keeping her hand  on her back.

“That looks nothing to me.” I said.

“I-I just bumped it on the wall, accidentally. It happens all the time.” She explained.

“All right.” I said, even though I am actually not convinced.

 “Jaejoong-sshi, about me renting an apartment…Well, I finally found one.” she smiled again, still not genuine.

“You did?” I asked, seating on the couch.

“Uhm… Yes, and I just finished packing.” she said, pointing on the luggage beside the door. I frowned. I didn’t notice them when I came in.

“Do you really have to go? You know, you can really stay here.” I suggested.

She shook her head. “I’m very grateful that you have been very generous to me. But… I can’t stay.”

 “Well then, if that’s your choice.” I said, standing up. “Then I’ll just drive you there.”

“Oh… all right. Thanks.” She said. The smile she has given me from the moment that I came in was really forced.

We arrived at her small apartment after a couple of minutes. I helped her carry her bags in.

Then… The moment I was dreading came… It was time to leave.

“Thank you for everything.” She said, uncomfortable again.

“You’re always welcome.”

Then silence. “I should probably get going.” I said, “ I’ll come by here tomorrow so we can go to the shooting together, okay?” I said.

But she refused, “No, it’s fine. I’ll just go by myself.”

“All right then. Uh… Be careful here okay? Don’t burn the house down.” I said. She smiled this time, reaching her eyes. I will take that smile home with me.

“Goodbye.” I said.

“Goodbye.” She replied.

I was at my car when I realized that her goodbye felt like it will be forever.