Playing with Fire

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Purely FanXing for this chapter

Yixing asked the driver to just drop her off at the main entrance of the gigantic edifice. After putting on her glasses that almost covered half of her face, she entered the building and unlike the first time she came to Seoul Trade Tower, she took her time to appreciate the exquisite interiors. It was magnificent on the inside as it was captivating on the outside.

 

She saw Victoria waving at her from across the lobby. “If you are ready, let's meet the people that will make you a rich woman, Zhang Yixing.” She said when she was close enough. Victoria flew from Italy to personally meet the HanTel representatives.

 

"I am Anthony Lam." The friendly looking guy shook their hands. He turned to Victoria. "I believe we spoke on the phone, Ms. Song. Nice to meet you."

 

"The pleasure is mine. This is Lay." Victoria introduced.

 

"It is good to finally meet you. We are looking forward to be working with you." He smiled. "By the way, these are the men behind the success of HanTel." Anthony gestured his hand to a guy in a dark suit, his face serious and his hair not a strand not in place. "This is Lee Onew, our general manager." Onew shook their hands and when he smiled, his whole face lit up. "The one beside him is Lee Taemin, our Creative Consultant and resident photographer." He pointed to a long-haired guy, the only one wearing casual clothing. He looked juvenile and almost girlish in sneakers and jeans.

 

Of course she knew about Lee Taemin. To be photographed by him was one of the most coveted status symbols in the fashion industry now. Yixing did not imagine that he was very young. Taemin smiled and saluted. "And of course, our President and CEO, Choi Luhan." Anthony was referring to a very handsome guy wearing a gray suit. He had a playful glint in his eyes and an accommodating aura that made them instantly comfortable. He shook their hands and he pulled a chair for Yixing like what Anthony did for Victoria.

 

"Nice to meet you, ladies. I do hope you'll agree to be the next face of Han phones." He turned to Yixing. She had to smile at that. She won’t be doing this if she had a choice but stupid Choi Yifan was not making this easy for her. Now, she’d love to see his reaction.

 

"You could go over the contract again before you sign it. We made a little modification just to make sure you won't say no to the job. You see, the launch of the new SH phone series is in three months time and the ad campaign should start as soon as possible. We are running out of time." It was Onew.

 

Yixing read the contract thoroughly and her eyes widened when she saw how much she'll be paid for it. She knew this would be a big project but she never expected it to be this big. She was almost not able to stop herself from whistling. The international fashion world had been really kind to her. When she was scouted in Florence, she was immediately offered to move to Milan, the center of Italian Fashion and she had no way to go but up. She managed to do what only a few Asians can do in Europe. She had walked for the biggest names in fashion like Ralph Lauren, Christian Dior, Oscar de la Renta and had graced hundreds of magazine covers. And the most recent addition to her portfolio was a two-year contract with the global fashion giant Prada.

 

"Is the amount not enough? You can name your price." Luhan knew Lay was a top model and it will be good for HanTel if she becomes the face of SH Phones.

 

Are you kidding me?!  She then shook her head. "No, Mr. Choi, it is more than enough.” Besides, I’m not in it for the money. “Thank you very much. May I borrow your pen?" She asked.

 

He looked confused for a second and then, "Oh. Sure." Luhan pulled his gold fountain pen from his pocket and gave it to her. She signed the contract and gave him a smile that he returned. She could feel her knees melting. It must run in the family. She thought begrudgingly.

 

"Thank you very much. You are a real life saver.  Your will be working closely with Taemin for this project. Half of the amount will be deposited to your account on the first day of the photo shoot and the rest on the first day of the ad campaign." Luhan briefed. "So, shall we seal this deal with an early lunch?"

 

"Sure. By the way, it was mentioned in the contract that I will be the other half of the ad campaign, may I know whom I’ll be working with?"

 

"You will be working with my brother, Ms. Zhang. I apologize he was not able to make it today. There's a conference in New York that he can't miss but he'll be back in time for the photo shoot."

"I guess it will be Choi Jongin, correct? He is the only one into modeling if I'm not mistaken." Victoria probed.

 

"Oh no. Not this time. He had prior engagements. It will be my--our," He gestured Taemin and Onew. "..boss, my eldest brother, The president and CEO of Han Group."

 

Yixing can’t help herself but smirk.

 

****************************************

 

“What made you change your mind about this project?” Before Yixing left for Korea, Victoria asked her again if she’d reconsider but her answer had been firm. But after a day, she called her to say she might have to extend her stay in Seoul and therefore would like to say yes to the HanTel offer.

 

“A very stubborn piece of .” If Yifan would play hard-to-get, she’d play dirty.

 

“Come to think of it, you didn’t even tell me why you have to go to Korea all of a sudden.” During the last three years, Yixing will dodge every offer to work in Asia. Victoria wasn’t sure why since they’re both Chinese but she kept mum about it. It was not in her position to ask and she was sure Yixing wasn’t ready to share. Also, the offers from Europe and US alone were already too much that they can’t accommodate them all.

 

“The less you know the better.” She replied mysteriously. Victoria had been nothing but a good friend and agent but there were things she was not ready to tell anyone.

 

“If you say so.”

 

**************************************

The receptionist ushered them to the huge studio. "Lay-ssi, Victoria-ssi!" Taemin shook their hands when he saw them. “My cousin is already in our makeshift dressing room. You'll be occupying the one on the left. You see, the real studio is under renovation at the moment and all the things were temporarily transferred here.”

 

"Thank you very much. We are going to go get ready then." Victoria said and pushed Yixing towards the dressing room.

 

Yixing was being made up when they heard some yelling and she won’t admit but she can still recognize that voice anywhere, anytime "Gah! What are you doing?! And what is that?!"

 

"I’m just curling your lashes, Sir."

 

"I am sorry. Do we really have to do that? I thought you’re going to curve my eyeballs out." He heaved a sigh of relief. Yixing found it incredulous. How on earth Yifan signed up for this was still a mystery. He was the last person Yixing thought would gladly put himself in the limelight. As far as she can remember, he wasn’t even fond of taking pictures.

 

She decided to wait outside when she was ready. She walked outside and saw Taemin and Luhan talking to a young girl. Luhan noticed her presence. “There you are. I’d like you to meet some people.” He fondly wrapped an arm around the girl’s shoulder. “This brat is my sister, Choi Sehun.” She saw the girl playfully elbowing Luhan but smile to her sweetly, eyes crinkling into crescents.

 

“The phones are named after you.” She blurted stupidly. She shook the hand that was offered. She had never met any of Yifan’s family until the day she signed the contract but she probably knew them all by heart.   

 

Sehun chuckled. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Lay-ssi.” Sehun was watching her intently and she wanted to squirm.

 

“And that woman behind you is our mother,” She stiffened in her spot. Meeting them all in a day was just too much. When she turned, she saw a very regal middle-aged woman. She was wearing a canary yellow sundress and strappy sandals, no jewelries, no watch even. But everything in her slender frame screamed class and unmistakable elegance.

 

"Lay-ssi." And the woman kissed both of her cheeks and she stood motionless in her spot. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Hankyung spoke in Mandarin. She already knew their mother’s Chinese, coming from one of the richest families in Northeastern China. “Ah, here he comes! Lay-ssi, meet my son, Dr. Choi Yifan."

 

******************************************

 

When Yixing turned, his whole world stopped. He saw the very person who’d been bugging his sleep one night too many. She smiled Cheshirely. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Zhang." Calling her Ms. Zhang had a bitter taste to it. He was about to offer his hand for a customary handshake but she tiptoed and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“Ooops. Sorry.” With a teasing glint in her eyes, she rubbed the bit of lipstick that stuck. His face mirrored those around him. The gesture was too intimate and he was sure he will have a hard time explaining everything to his family, especially to his mother.

 

"I look forward to be working with you, Yifan-ah." He was trying his best to hide the anger that was building up inside him.

 

"Hyung, if you are ready then I think we should begin. Lay-ssi?" It was Taemin, clearing his throat to diffuse the awkward atmosphere, already geared with his expensive-looking camera.

 

****************************************

 

"I am ready." Yixing said and walked towards the backdrop. Her knees were wobbly and deep inside she really wanted to run away.

"Okay." It was amazing how Taemin's demeanor changed from nonchalant to business-like. "We are going to take individual photos first and then both of you. We only have two costume and make-up changes for today.”

 

Yixing volunteered to be shot first. She wanted this to be over and done with. She smoothened her top. She was wearing a black off-shoulder long sleeved top and dark pair of jeans.

 

The photographer's words and guidance made her a bit at ease albeit the presence of the people she didn’t want to associate herself with. She had worked with the best photographers and had done unimaginable photo shoots—from hanging upside down on the slopes of the Grand Canyon to lying half- at the Pamukkale’s Travertine Pools—but she was still impressed with how Taemin worked with just a simple chroma keying. He knew exactly what he's doing and was very good at it.

 

In less than an hour, all her individual photos were taken and she was called by an assistant to join the other members of the Choi family on the other side of the room. A table was laden with different kinds of food. Dim sum, Chinese take out, pasta, sandwiches, burgers and lots and lots of sweets.

 

"Which would you have, Lay-ssi?" Hankyung asked her ready to dote like she's her daughter. Yixing smiled in satisfaction. If she stuck to the plan, she’ll have Yifan begging for her to let him sign the divorce papers in no time.

 

****************************************

 

She was coming back from the restroom when she was snatched to a supply closet. “What the do you think you’re doing?” Yifan hissed, his grip on her arm will leave a bruise for sure.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She struggled to free her arm from his hold but to no avail.

 

“Don’t play dumb with me!” His voice was menacing but calculating, careful not to be heard by anyone who could be passing by. “What are you doing here? You were dead set on divorcing yet you’re here being friendly with my family!”

“Would you like it better if I’m rude to them?” She smirked although she didn’t think he can see inside the dim and stuffy closet. “This should be nothing personal but you’re forcing me to do otherwise. Let’s see how your family will take it if they learn you married without them knowing seven years ago.” She stomped on his foot and left him inside the closet.