Matchmaker

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: I want you guys to know that nothing can stop me from writing TaoHun.

 

"Your Majesty, Shixun-xiao jie is asking for audience." Zhou Mi, the head of the Emperor's servants was at the door of his private office, head bowed down. The Zhous served the Huang Dynasty since the reign of his grandfather Emperor Qin and they were the most trusted servants in the palace.

 

"Let her in." He said without looking up. He was busy berating his heart and willing it to be still. So, she's back. After telling him that she can't promise him anything. After thinking about it, he thought that they were in the same boat. Bound by their familial obligations and pressures the society had given them. He wished that life could be simpler.

 

He was stumped to find her in a hanbok, performing the ceremonial bow. He ordered the Imperial maids to give them some privacy and as expected, she was back to her usual arrogant self the moment they stepped out. He almost rolled her eyes. She sat on his swivel chair without invitation.

 

"So, how are you, Your Majesty?" She asked, almost mocking his new title. She was lucky it was still giving him creeps so he let it pass.

 

"Doing okay until you came." He replied haughtily.

 

"Chill. I am not picking a fight." She looked at him for a long moment without saying a word that he was starting to get conscious.

 

"What?"

 

"You knew I arrived yesterday and I was thinking you're going to invite me over but I guess I could've waited in vain." She tsked.

 

"I was busy. What are you doing here anyway?" He steered clear of what she was trying to point out. "You told me you're not coming back."

 

"If I remember it correctly, I didn't tell you that I wasn't coming back. I told you I won't promise you anything. But to answer your question, I am here to patch things up with Amber which I already did so I am now here to bother you." She chuckled and his heart skipped a bit.

 

"I have more important things to do; like rule a nation, in case you didn't notice." He retorted.

 

"You're too cranky for the taking." She grinned. "I just want to know why you wanna throw your sister out of the palace at this point in time?" He was taken aback from the sudden change of demeanor.

 

"What do you mean?" He decided to play dumb.

 

"Don't you dare play this hackneyed game with me, Huang Zitao. I just want to know why suddenly, a matchmaking date was thrown and Amber was being forced into marrying this enemy of the state."

 

"Is that what she told you? That Henry’s is an enemy of the state?" He snorted. He didn't know his sister could resort to that bull.

 

"Well. . .not exactly. But still! Hmn? Why?"

 

"Because like what you said, I want Amber out of the palace the soonest possible time." He went straight to the point. It was difficult enough to pick the pieces of their lives after losing their father and being left with a country to rule over and the responsibility of making sure the same incident won't happen again, he had to resort to drastic measures.

 

She was staring at him like he had grown two heads. "The same old tactic? Don't you think this plan would backfire again? Sending her somewhere else instead of letting her know what the real situation is? Do you really think Amber is that dense? She's a lot more than what you give her credit for."

 

"I am the one who lost a father. Not you. You don't how it feels." He said harshly.

 

"Amber lost her father too." She pointed out. "You don't have to carry the cross alone."

 

"But I'm afraid I'll do something unforgivable if ever anything happens to my family again. If I can drive all of them out of this god forsaken place, I'll do it. Even if that means I have to live alone."

 

"Is that the real reason?" She asked in a small voice after a long moment of silence.

 

"What other reason would there be?" His voice raised a fraction. "The only way Amber will be forced out of this place is if she marries. And I can't think of any other person who can take care of her aside from Henry." He saw her considering what he said for a moment, he watched as her face changed into different peculiar expressions.

 

"Give me Henry Lau’s number." She ordered after a while like he was a mere fly. He was scandalized.

 

"What?! Why would I do that?"

 

"I know what you're thinking and let me tell you for once that I don't like it." She narrowed her eyes and he fought the urge to squirm. "I understand that you wanted to protect Amber and I want to help you out. But first, I want to see for myself what kind of person he is before I could entrust my friend to him."

 

"So you're going to call him and bother him? No." He said firmly.

 

"Ben dan. . ." She whispered but he still heard it. "Do you want my help or not?" She asked in a stern voice and he found himself fishing for his phone.

 

"Do you have a fool proof plan?" He managed to ask.

 

"Trust me. That two will fall head over heels in love with each other in no time. If, and only if, that guy is good enough." Her voice was laced with sarcasm, clearly sending him the message that she didn't have any confidence in his choice. She bowed and exited his office in graceful backward steps. He shook his head and sighed in relief. The tornado just left.

 

******************************************

 

"Let me get this straight. You guys are offering me your jobs?" She asked unbelievingly. Two heads nodded in agreement.

 

"We thought you're the best person for the job, honey." Amber grinned. Even if it's against her will, she had to delegate her Global Cool Foundation duties to someone. And Baekhyun's passion for charity came up. Sehun thought it was next best thing since strawberry shortcake.

 

"C'mon, do you really have to think about it? You know you can do it." Baekhyun's part of Global Cool too but she chose to be a silent figure and manages the Children's Fund Division of the foundation.

 

"But. . .does that mean I have to stay in either New York or London?" Reluctance in her voice was apparent.

 

"Ohhhh. I think I know what the real problem is." Amber winked at Sehun and Baekhyun was already as red as a tomato.

 

"You guys ." She pouted.

 

"What? We didn't say anything." Sehun asked in feigned innocence. Amber chortled like a kid.

 

"Your honey's a son of an airline magnate, in case you forgot so he can be with you anytime." It was Amber, followed by a hearty laugh. Baekhyun wanted to strangle them both.

 

"That's not what I mean, okay? Unnie's the only one to take care of the business if I leave."

 

"You can choose where your headquarters would be. It doesn't matter. If you want it in Busan then we'll move it to Busan. What's important is you're there to oversee the whole operation."

 

"If that's the case then I guess I'll accept it." She smiled.

 

"Took you long enough!" Amber sighed in relief.

 

"Be ready for the presscon tomorrow." Sehun turned to Amber. "Are you coming with us?"

 

"Yes. I already asked for permission." Amber didn't tell them that she was dying to get out of Beijing. She can still remember every gory detail of the matchmaking. She can't believe her family resorted to underhanded techniques just to get her a husband. And Henry Lau too!

 

"Chen-xiaojie from the Palace of the Empress Dowager wishes to see Your Highness." Her imperial maid announced from the doorway and her mother’s assistant was escorted in when she gave the go signal.

 

"Yanxi-jie." It still makes her uncomfortable but she won't be talked out of it. Yanxi bowed and occupied the seat she gestured.

 

"How are you doing, Your Highness?" She asked politely.

 

"Getting by. My favorite cousin's here so that helped a lot."

 

"It's good to know. I met Prince Yalun the other day. Such a charming person."

 

"Don't let him hear you addressing him as Prince, he'll be mad." She giggled. "By the way, what brings you here?"

 

"The Grand Empress Dowager and the Empress Dowager would like to invite you for a tea party at the Empress Dowager's palace this coming Saturday and I was tasked to help you prepare."

 

"Tea party? And how grand is this tea party, Jie?" Her mother doesn't really host grandiose events just for the heck of it. Her father always said they had to be careful in spending money. Even if the Huangs were already very rich when her great grandfather, the first Emperor of their dynasty took over, the people still had this impression that they're spending the people’s money instead of their own. But for her mother to ask her assistant to help her prepare for it then it must be special. Which was very unlikely for Ziyi. And besides, they just burried her father. Who wanted to socialize at this point?

 

"It's just a simple tea party, Your Highness." Then she noticed how Yanxi avoided her gaze by bowing her head down. Something was terribly wrong.

 

"Then why would she ask you to help me out? I have my maid to do that." She decided to push her luck. Chances were, if they were really planning something creepy, she'll blurt it out. But Yanxi sure was a smart lady.

 

"Ling-xiaojie 's being sent to the guesthouse to attend to your guests instead, Your Highness. And I was just following Her Majesty's orders." She said in a firm tone.

 

"Fine then, Jie. Be here Saturday morning and we'll talk about it." She forced herself to smile.

 

She was surprised to find the vintage blue hand-embroidered cheongsam she wore for her eighteenth birthday waiting for her early Saturday morning. Why in the world she would wear the special qi pao she inherited from her grandmother for a simple tea ceremony? It was a must to wear traditional clothing inside the palace but for her, wearing one would mean you stay in the shadow of the men as you walk behind them. May it be your father, brother or husband. It hinders not only freedom of movement, the narrow skirt slows your steps dramatically too. Which symbolized the suppression of any woman's ego. She would definitely not wear this. Not today.

 

Yanxi was already outside her palace, waiting for her to bade her enter. She went through her enormous walk-in closet to look for an outfit. Then she found Sehun's last Christmas gift for her. She didn't have the chance to wear it, not even once. She smiled to herself.

 

She put the black long-sleeved ribbed body hugging dress on. The turtle neck emphasized her swan-like neck. Then threw the kimono style gray wool coat over and rummaged through her collection of obi belts. She found a black glossy one with a matching clutch. She took her favorite winter boots from the man himself, Jimmy Choo. The hem of the shirt only reached half of her thighs but the boots reached above her knees. She tied her hair up in a bun and finished it off with a dainty silver comb. She was panting after applying a subtle make up and opening the door herself. An army of maids were ready to force their way in when she refused to give them permission. But Yanxi's stupefied expression was priceless.

 

"Do I look that bad?" She asked. Yanxi shook her head frantically.

 

"No no no no, Your Highness! I mean, you look beautiful but you can't possib--"

 

"Chen-xiaojie, don't let me change now, we'll be late! Nainai's wrath is not something to look forward to." She linked her arm on Yanxi's and dragged her to the waiting limo. Her mother's palace was just a few blocks away, in the middle of an ornamental and vegetable garden Ziyi tended to herself.

 

She noticed that her mother’s assistant was perspiring beside her. "Hey, Unnie. Relax. I'll take care of it."

 

"But I instructed your help to prepare your qi pao for you, Your Highness. You should have known it wasn't an English tea party but a tea ceremony!" She almost whined and she felt pity when she held her forehead like she was having a severe headache.

 

"I know. But this is what I want to wear." She said in a stubborn tone. But when they arrived at the venue, she regretted that she didn't listen to her. Her whole family was there, including her sisters and their husbands, her brother and Yalun, all dressed to the nines. Even her renegade cousin was wearing a changsan. And then at the other side of the room were the Lau family minus Jia. Henry and his parents and all the other elder members of the past dynasty.

 

Lau Xianhua or Henry to everyone would be Tao's counterpart if the past dynasty would still be in power. She recognized them through their faces but never by their names. She guessed she never really paid much attention. Jia was the closest to a friend she had within their family. Oh well, she knew Henry 'cause he used to pick up his sister all the time after spending most of the day playing or hanging out together. But he never really talked to her. Not even once.

 

She remembered that everyday, it would be the same boring routine. At exactly five pm, their limo would arrive at her pavilion. He will bow politely and would communicate with his sister through his eyes silently. Then they would say their goodbyes and he will her to the waiting car. If Tao or Yalun's there, they would exchange pleasantries briefly before they leave.

 

"Huang Zian!" She heard her mother's horrified tone. She performed a ceremonial bow for her family and for the Lau family. She noticed Henry passive face and his position in the front of the gathered. But it didn't escape her that his eyes lingered on her frame for a moment.

 

"Our apologies for my sister's lack of propriety." Tao spoke and the room fell silent.

 

Jin Suyi replied, "We understand, Your Majesty. Shall we start the ceremony?" Then she shot her a boring look. It wasn't news to her that she didn't like her. Jia was too honest to tell her that her mother even forbade her to befriend them. It was a good thing Lau Xiwei was an exact opposite of his wife.

 

All proceeded to washing their hands and their mouth in a stone basin just outside the alcove where the actual ceremony will be held. Henry played the host and escorted the rest in order of prestige or their position in the society. She noted that he didn't even waver a bit in his knowledge of the ceremony like he just performed it yesterday. Before escorting her in though, he handed her a small decorative wallet.

 

"What's this?"

 

"Towels." He replied simply and eyed her clutch. How could she forget to bring the special paper that they use to eat the sweets served at the tea ceremony? This was getting embarrassing every second.

 

"Xie xie ni."

 

"You’re welcome, Your Highness." He then took his designated spot at the center of the room and proceeded to the ritual cleaning of each utensil used in the ceremony and then the tea making itself. He served each and every guest in prescribed order. She thought she'll be able to breathe after the whole ceremony was over but was surprised to hear her grandmother inviting everyone at the Sunshine Pavilion, in one of the palace's receiving rooms.

 

"I heard that you've been sick, Aunt Suyi, are you okay now?" She started a conversation awkwardly. She saw that Suyi was surprised but answered her nonetheless.

 

"I've been good, thank you, Your Highness."

 

"Call me Zian, Auntie." She told herself she's doing it for Tao. She thought her face would crack though because of the fake smile she plastered on it.

 

"Zian," Her features softened a bit. "How are you coping up?"

 

"We are trying to live one day at a time. It was hard but we have to move on. Thank you for asking."

 

"I am sure you'll do well in the US after you and Xianhua are married." She heard Lau Xiwei spoke and she was sure her face lost color instantaneously.

 

"W-What?" She looked at Henry and she saw the silent question in his expression. "M-Married? What's the meaning of this?"

 

"You don't know that you're getting in to, do you, Your Highness?" He asked in a mocking tone. He eyed Tao who cleared his throat.

 

"Uhm, Huang Zian, this has been planned even before father. . .died. I have to carry on with the plan." That was all she heard before she lost consciousness.

 

"Are you thinking about your fiancé?" Sehun whispered in her ear, cutting her train of thought effectively that she jumped up in fright.

 

"Eh!? What are you talking about! I wasn't."

 

"Whatever you say. But we have to move now if you don't want the press to wait tomorrow." Sehun raised an eyebrow, emphasizing her lack of readiness to leave. The jet's already on its way.

 

"Oh. Yeah. I'll pack now, devil." She whispered.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing, nothing, nothing!"

 

****************************************************************************