Adumbration

A Blessing or A Curse

While they were all frantically reviving Hankyung, Luhan entered the room. He had a somber expression. "Jongin was shot while on his way to the Athens office. He's in critical condition." He dialed his secretary's number. "Cancel all of my appointments for the week and alert the Learjet staff. We are flying to Athens in two hours." He ordered.

 

Sehun sat on the couch weakly. She could feel her knees trembling. After recovering from shock, she went upstairs to her room and took a small suitcase under her bed. She entered her password combination and checked if everything was still intact and closed it again.

 

"Where do you think you are going?" Luhan asked her when he noticed her coming out of her room with a suitcase. "The plane's leaving in an hour."

 

"I can't wait for the jet. I'll see you all in Athens." She told him.

 

"You've got to be kidding me! Come back here! Choi Sehun!”

 

********************************

 

"They can't get so lucky for so many times! You are all stupid! First, you underestimated a little girl and now, you didn't make sure he's dead before you left him! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! You're all bunch of useless trash!"

 

"We're sorry, Boss." There was no use arguing with the Boss now. The Boss might get really pissed and kill all of them. "We are ready to commence with the new plan as soon as you give us the go signal." The leader of the team spoke.

 

"You really are stupid! Of course, Choi Siwon is on alert now. We need to lay low for now. I've waited for this all my life. Don't you dare ruin it again or I'll shove this up in your ." They were holding the Colt Single Action Army, a gun straight from an old cowboy movie. "Get out of my sight before I put all these bullets in your useless heads!" All of five of them exited the room with heads bowed down.

 

*************************************

 

She spotted Joonmyeon sitting on one of the benches outside the hospital's presidential suite. His feet on the bench, his head buried between his knees. Anyone could tell that he had not gotten enough sleep. He looked haggard and cold. She walked towards him and sat beside him.

 

"Oppa..." She called and placed her tapped his shoulder. He lifted his head and looked straight into her eyes and she nearly burned. She looked at her feet and tears started to roll.

 

"I am sorry." She said in a gruff voice.

 

“Go ahead and see them." He replied. Before she could enter the room, Yifan came got out wearing his white coat and he looked no better than Joonmyeon. He noticed her presence and he stared at her for a long while. She winced inwardly when he walked passed her and went straight through the long corridor without giving her another glance.

 

She opened the door and saw Chanyeol looking outside the window, his arms crossed in front of his chest. Luhan's tapping away on his laptop seated in one of the ambassador chairs in the receiving room. He looked up when she entered and went back to his laptop a second later without saying anything. Her father was seated in the couch. Siwon's elbows were on his knees and his fingers buried on his hair. She entered  Jongin's room and saw him helplessly lying on the bed with a number of IVs breathing him to life. Their mother asleep beside his bed, her fingers entwined with Jongin's. She could not stop the tears from falling upon seeing his brother's condition.

 

"Oppa, what is your greatest fear?" She looked at her brother while playing with the water under her feet. Her face smeared with dried tear marks. He took her to the lagoon inside their property when she was crying badly after Chino had been put to sleep. Chino's their family's dog. Like the First dog in the White House but Chino's a lot cuter and a lot wiser and the list would go on and on and on. She was three and a half when Chino was diagnosed by a con anomaly and the only option the vet gave them was to put him to sleep so as not to prolong his agony. That was barely a week before Jongin and Chanyeol left for British boarding school.

 

She was crying nonstop because she felt like she was being left alone. Even Chino's gone. All her other brothers were also either in London or in Massachusetts. Even if her mental capacity was superior to most children, no school in Seoul would accept a three year old brat who can solve middle school Math and can speak three languages fluently.

 

"Why do you ask?" He returned the question without looking at her.

 

"Because I just discovered mine." She stated sadly and tears came falling again. Jongin hugged her and let her wet his shirt with tears. When she was pacified, she heard his soft voice.

 

"I fear the day that I won't be able to do what I like to do." He looked at her and smiled.

 

"What is it that you want to do?" She probed with so much curiosity in her swollen eyes.

 

"Uhm...this." And he tickled her nonstop until they both fell into the water making all koi swim in different directions. Their giggles echoed through the peaceful forest.

 

*********************************

 

The bullet missed his heart by a couple of centimeters. He was moved in here this morning and Hyung said if he does not wake up today, we do not know..." Chanyeol's small voice trailed off.

 

"No!" Sehun screamed but no sound came out. Chanyeol hugged her and dragged her outside. He didn't want to wake his mother up. She didn't get any sleep since they arrived in Greece. She even refused to eat anything and insists to stay beside Jongin. Not even the nurses cannot send her outside ICU. Her frail body just gave up while talking to Jongin's catatonic state.

 

Two days ago was the first time he saw his mother lost all her poise and all her manners while talking to the doctors taking care of his brother. She just broke down when they told them they were giving Jongin up to tonight to wake up.

"You have no right to say that!" Hankyung screamed at Yifan. "Are giving up on your brother? We did not send you to the best schools just to give us that crap! I will fight with my son 'till the end! Let us fly him to Japan. To the US! Anywhere! This is so unfair! God couldn't be that cruel, could He?" Her voice lowered by a few decibels. God could not just let him die like that! Siwon, Siwon-ah, tell me that you are going to do anything to save my son!" She begged to their father who can only hug her helplessly.

 

"Mei, we were so worried about you. What you did didn't help a bit." He said in a reprimanding tone.

 

"It's not just anybody else. It's him." She said. She knew she's being unreasonable for putting her family in a ten fold stress for not showing up until three days later. She had to do something and she knew exactly what to do.

 

"You promised me. Us." He said, looking directly at her tired eyes.

 

"I know. But promises are made to be broken. I would not hesitate to break it again if it's because of the people I love." She responded determinedly. She could see that her brother was chafed but for a moment she saw pride in his eyes too. He hugged her again and held her for a long moment when they heard a commotion inside Jongin's room and soon after, half a dozen people including Yifan came rushing inside and everyone except the doctors and nurses were sent out.

 

************************

 

"Hello?" She answered cautiously. She checked the caller ID before taking the call and it was not a registered number. Who could it be?

 

"Hunnie, it's me." She heard Seohyun's voice on the other line. "How is he?" Of course, Seohyun will be checking on Jongin.

 

"He just woke up last night. His condition is stable now. Thank you for asking. How about you, where are you?"

"That is good to hear. I was worried when I heard the news from Taemin. I'm in El Paso. I think I have to take Jane to Seoul. I'll be staying in Seoul for Amare and I can't afford to be flying to and fro South Korea and Texas all the time." Amare Per La Musica's Seohyun's music school that’s due to open next fall. True to its name, the school was a proof of Seohyun's unwavering love for her craft.

 

Her hunch was correct. She gritted her teeth. "What did she do this time?" She asked in a stern voice. Jane was Seohyun's five-year old sister from her mother's fifth marriage. She practically abandoned her best friend even before Seohyun stopped wearing diapers.

 

"Jane was kicked out of her school. And I do not know where Mom is right now. The nanny called me and I came immediately after that. I am sorry I can't be in Athens right now. I can't leave Jane at this time. When are you going back to Seoul?" She explained fully. She could tell she's trying her best to change the topic.

 

"Kicked out of school?! Why? What happened?" It was horrendous to say the least. How could a five-year old child be kicked out of school?

 

"She had a fight with a classmate and they wanted the parents to appear. Well, to make the long story short, nobody appeared. Jane wouldn't tell her nanny either so when she finally learned about it, the one week ultimatum that the school gave her is over." She heaved a burned out sigh.

 

"It would be a good decision to take her home. We can take care of her better. We'll be coming home as soon as the doctors would allow it. I'll be seeing both of you when we get back. Do kiss Jane for me and have a safe trip home, alright?” Seohyun needs support now more than ever.

 

"Thanks. You take care as well. I have to go now. See you!"

 

******************************

 

"Are you okay?" Yifan was wheeling Jongin to the airport VIP lounge. They’re on their way home after he was given clearance for discharge. All of the doctors who attended to him including Yifan believed it was a miracle that he survived. Hankyung woke up from a faint sound coming from him and a very weak movement from his fingers. He woke up from the coma after almost four days.

 

"Yes." He said though physical pain was still visible in his handsome face. He thanked Yifan after he settled on his seat. The family's private jet will bring them home. He wanted to recuperate at home. He felt a lot safer there. He was driving when a motorcycle cut him off in a blind curve and the rider shot him. He remembered going into a ditch before everything went black. He could only think of two reasons why somebody would try to kill him. If it’s not related to Choi Airways, it was because of his former Marine duties. "Were you able to get the reports, Appa?"

 

"They’re still working on it." Siwon lied. He received the reports the day after they arrived in Greece. But he did not want to worry his wife and kids. It turned out that it was an inside job. It was related to the Han Airways issue, yes, but the unidentified mastermind was also from Choi Group. One from the upper management to be exact. He had an appointment with the investigators handling the case after he received the detailed report. The marksman was arrested in less than twenty four hours after the incident but he was found dead the day after. He hung himself inside his own cell and the police scrapped the angle of foul play. Now they were on a dead end. Whoever it was after his family or the business, the person would surely lay low for now.

 

"What? It's been a week!" Jongin coughed from the forceful speech. Every movement had an equivalent amount of pain. He almost forgot that he's still nursing a wound.

 

"Jongin. Do not stress yourself too much. You're not fully recovered yet." Yifan reprimanded him.

 

"We are doing everything we can to put them in jail. Now, your only duty is to get well." Hankyung said in a stern voice.

 

Then Jongin noticed something . . . or someone. "Hey Princess, aren't you supposed to be working? Surely, you cannot tell them you went to Greece because I was shot, right?"

 

"You’re more important. I can buy HanTel if I want to anyway." She joked and soon they were all laughing including Jongin who had tears in his eyes from the searing pain.