Connections

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: No excuse for not updating sooner. But yeah. Life get in the way sometimes. How are you guys doing by the way?

 

“I want blue and white geraniums for my bouquet and blue and white tulips for the church and venue decorations. I thought since we both favor blue out of all colors, it shall be the theme of our wedding. By the way, I already told Harold that he should clear your schedule for the fitting next week. Representatives from Brioni will be here on Thursday to get your measurements and—hey, are you listening?” Baekhyun felt like she was talking for hours but Chanyeol wasn’t even paying attention.

 

“Huh, yeah. Of course. Brioni flowers? Okay. Good.” Baekhyun sighed. She felt insulted. She understood that men really didn’t have any interest in planning a wedding aside from opening their wallets and swiping their cards but her fiancé was so out of it that she can’t help but feel there was something wrong.

 

“Okay, tell me what the problem is.” She put away her things and sat up straight. If they were not in a public place then she will surely let her temper get the better of her but they were. Gladly, they were in a much secluded table inside their favorite Italian restaurant and they were ways away from other patrons.

 

“What are you talking about?” He didn’t dare look her in the eyes. He kept twirling the noodles with his fork without eating them.

 

“Then why do I feel that you’re elsewhere even if you’re here with me?”

 

It was Chanyeol’s turn to heave a sigh. “Work is just crazy.” He said dismissively, hoping Baekhyun will just leave it at that.

 

Baekhyun wanted to say that she’s working for their company, too, on top of taking care of the wedding preparations but chose to keep mum lest they lash out on each other right in the middle of everyone’s peaceful dinner. They ate in silence after that. She didn’t feel like discussing anymore wedding details if nobody’s going to listen. Chanyeol continued to space out and when she cannot take the silence any further, “You’re not having cold feet, are you?”

 

“Are you?” He retorted, looking up from his now cold pasta for the first time. She noticed how the tip of his ears turned red, his jaw tightening.

 

“Chanyeol, it’s not what I mean.” She retracted, knowing she crossed the line this time. “You know that you can tell me anything. If there’s anything that’s bothering you, I want you to tell me.”

 

“Then let me tell you that you’re bothering me with nonsense questions.” His tone was indifferent and Baekhyun was taken aback. Chanyeol pushed his plate away. “I have to go back to the office. I’ll go settle the bill. You can use my car.” For appearances, he kissed her on the cheek before walking out of the restaurant without so much as a glance.

 

********************************************

 

Everything was weighing him down. From the day Luhan gave him the report he found in Baekhyun’s study, everything changed. No matter how much he told himself that Baekhyun won’t do anything to hurt him, it still turned his world upside down. It was eating every bit of his being. Whenever he was with her, he kept wondering if she was being true to him. If everything she was doing was part of the plan. If everything she’d told him was real. If they were real. 

 

When he revealed to his family that he’s proposing to Baekhyun, everyone except Luhan was in glee. His sister was very happy to have one of her best friends become an official member of the family. Luhan told him upfront he won’t be part of any attempt to hurt himself further but he was thankful he didn’t say anything to anyone. But he knew their mother had to say something when he didn’t go to his engagement party.

 

Another thing plaguing his thoughts would be his sister. There had to be something wrong with her. She was pretty quiet most of the time except around the people she liked but now she spaced out a lot even in between conversations. There was just too much excitement with Minkyung’s arrival and his recent engagement that most of them didn’t notice. She often locked herself inside her room with the excuse of writing her new book. Sometimes she disappeared for days on end saying she’s researching and doing leg work, again, for her book.

 

But Chanyeol knew otherwise. She’d been hanging out a lot with Kim Himchan, one of the newly appointed directors for her foundation. She stopped going to China when everybody knew Amber was also planning for her wedding. In fact, their wedding days only had few weeks in between. He can’t help but suspect that something happened when she was in China.

 

That damn Emperor wore his heart in his sleeve and he knew it was only a matter of time that he made a move to his sister. He completely trusted Sehun’s judgment but he was wary of the men vying for her attention. He’s aware that were a lot of men who wanted to get her not because she’s Sehun but because of the fame and fortune that came with being a Choi.

 

Then there’s the axe looming above everyone’s head in Han Car’s Middle Eastern arm. United Arab Emirates, the center of their operations in West Asia had just announced that the government was contemplating to start imposing taxes among its locals and expatriates. Since the locals were only ten percent of the total population, a mass migration was predicted if it will push through. The projected loss was staggering and he won’t be able to save the thousands of people they employ in Dubai alone if it happened. It was more cost effective to build an assembly plant in Dubai than transport all the cars halfway around the globe. If they won’t be given much choice, they had to shut down the plant and move the business back to Korea.

 

And it was really unfair for Baekhyun to be giving him the attitude when he was trying his best not to fall asleep on his feet from exhaustion. Earlier at the restaurant, he really wanted to confront her. But he didn’t have the balls to. He didn’t even have the courage to ask her about Minkyung. Was it true that she knew who her father was all along? If she did, then why did she choose to hide it from him? They’ve been together for over two years now but not once did she drop a hint. If she did confess, will he still have it in him to marry her? He really wanted to know the truth but he didn’t know if he’ll be able to bear it.

 

*****************************************

 

After a two-hour drive from the city, Jongdae arrived in a gorgeous villa owned by the Kwon family in the outskirts of Incheon. It took her moments to get over the magnificent view of the impressive structure. The villa was built on top of the hill and didn’t have any gates but before she drove up the cobbled driveway, two burly Caucasian guards searched her car thoroughly and someone had to call the main house if she was indeed expected by the family.

 

A house staff was waiting for her in front of the house where she was guided to a huge garage bay. There were several luxury vehicles parked and her second-hand Hyundai never felt so out-of-place beside the matte moss green Hummer.

 

The house wasn’t very tall but what it lacked in height, it compensated in breadth. Dara told her it was a weekend home that they built for when they wanted to escape the bustling city. And Jongdae wanted to say it had too much space for a weekend estate. Sprawling lawn lead to a front porch. The house façade was made up of Birchwood stacked stone walls, teak columns and white picture windows and the roof was of dark brown asphalt fiberglass shingles. A few meters away from the house, she can spot a view deck. She can see and smell the seawater even if she can see it. Overall, it was a prime property only the Kwons or the Parks can afford.

 

She researched quite a bit about her clients after their initial meeting and she learned that Dara was the same Park Sandara of Seoul Baking Corporation. Jiyong and Dara was a match made in heaven! Two gorgeous, funny and filthy rich people coming together to build a family.

 

“Hi, Jongdae!” Dara was waving at her from the front door, carrying a plump baby girl. They were in matching dresses in palest of pink. “Over here!” The older woman gave her a half hug. “Did you have a hard time looking for it?”

 

“Oh, no! Not at all. I just drove very slowly to enjoy the view. And oh my god, your baby is soooo cute! And your house is very beautiful!” She was gushing a thousand miles a minute.

 

“Thank you! Her name is Jinri.” She cooed at the half-asleep baby. “We spend a lot of time here nowadays. Come in.” She was lead to foyer and the same hired help took her coat. “Come with me to the kitchen, please.” There was quite a spread for a late breakfast on kitchen island and there were a few pots simmering on top of the stove. The kitchen was spacious and ultra modern. “Please help yourself, Jongdae.”

 

“Thank you! Did you cook all these yourself?” She can’t see anyone else aside from the one who hung her coat for her. She filled her plate with some salad. She was hungry from driving. “Your dressing is really good!”

 

“Thanks. I try to do everything when we are here. Both Jiyong and I don’t really care for a lot of people doing everything for us. We both grew up in that kind of household and we hated it.” She kept working in the kitchen with sleeping Jinri strapped on her back.

 

“You seem to be cooking a lot. Are we expecting a lot of people?” She was told she’ll be taking pictures of the baby and the family.

 

“Oh, yeah! I forgot to tell you that two more people will be coming over. They’re Jinri’s godparents. My best friend and Jiyong’s younger sister.”

 

“That’s perfectly fine. Do you want me to hold her for you while you work?” She asked out of courtesy.

 

“Really? Thank you!” She unstrapped the carrier and handed her the baby. Jongdae groaned inwardly. She was thinking Dara won’t take her on her offer because she had zero experience with babies. None of her close friends were married or had children and she was an only child. The only baby she held in the recent years was Brutus when he was a sickly puppy.

 

“Uh, she won’t fall, would she?” She was handed the baby and she was trembling.

 

“No, she won’t. Just relax.” Dara was laughing. She must have figured out her predicament. “You’re not married yet, are you?” She shook her head, visibly relaxing when Jinri didn’t wake up. She held her close to her chest and swayed on her feet.

 

“Where is Jiyong-ssi?” She asked to stir the conversation away from her non-existent love life. Before Dara can answer, the man in question entered the back door, he was carrying empty trays.

 

“Yeobo, the table’s done. Oh, hey, Jongdae-ssi! How was your trip?” He was wiping his forehead with a small towel. If only the media can see him, they’ll have a field day. Far from his usual expensive suits, he was in a khaki cut-offs and pale pink sports shirt.

 

“It’s fine. You have a beautiful place.” He muttered a thank you.

 

“Do you want me to get her?” He asked.

 

“No, we’re okay.” They heard a faint car honk.

 

“It must be Joon, he’s the only one polite enough not to come barging in.” Jiyong went away to open the door. She ignored the sudden thudding of her chest by the name.

 

“Jiyong’s sister is a little bit…eccentric—to put it lightly.” Dara laughed. “During our honeymoon, she showed up in the Bahamas and followed us around in fourteen different countries. I didn’t mind. Yuri’s a real gem but her brother was totally miffed.”

 

“Sounds like she’s a fun girl.”

 

“She really is!”

 

“I was supposed to be here yesterday but the investors from Bahrain came in yesterday.” Jongdae stiffened in her seat when she heard the familiar voice. She can’t mistake it from anyone else’s.

 

“Hey Joon-ah! Come, I’ll introduce you to a very pretty lady!” Dara hollered and not a second later, the man she was trying hard not to think of materialized in the Kwons’ outstanding kitchen. She held on to Jinri tightly, borrowing strength from the sleeping baby.

 

“J-Jongdae?”