Confusion

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Lucky number 6! Hehe. And for those asking why Yifan didn't go after Yixing, your answer is here. :)

 

"Leaving so soon, Ms. Kim?" Chanyeol called. And what did she want? A reward? He fought the urge to smirk. He didn't know why he had to be indifferent but he can't help himself. Growing up, there were a lot of people trying to befriend them if not for money then for power or fame. He was getting sick of it. In school, their classmates didn't know who they were but they came to them for assignments or projects. It was annoying!

 

Baekhyun froze in the doorway. She pasted a genial smile on her face before she turned around. "Oh, yes. I have a lot of things to attend to before I go back home." She was dying to leave. The stare he was giving her was making her uncomfortable.

 

"Is that really urgent? Can't you stay for a bit and chat? I want to get to know you more." And why did he have to keep her? He heard Woobin cleared his throat.

 

"I have to go check something. Can you stay with Chanyeol for a bit? If it's is not so much of a burden, that is." Woobin was ready to leave and he winked at Chanyeol when Baekhyun was not looking.

 

"N-Not a problem. Go ahead." She found herself talking to his back. She sighed. She was about to occupy the same seat she was given earlier when he spoke. And why did she have to stay? It's not as if they can't send a battalion of nurses to entertain him!

 

"Can you sit here?" He motioned to the high backed chair beside his bed. "You don't want us to be shouting at each other, do you?" He smiled. He watched her as she walk in daze beside him. Same old story. People got fascinated by looks and money easily. He groaned inwardly.

 

She wanted to yell at him and tell him that she didn't have any plans of talking to him let alone being friends with him but she didn't. His smiled gravitated her. It was so confusing. Was she fraternizing with the enemy now? She wanted to slap herself. She sat on the chair absentmindedly. She focused her eyes on his leg cast.

 

"Have you been racing for long?" He decided to start a conversation. Maybe cat got her tongue.

 

She nodded. "I do. Since I was in grade school. But not competitively." If she didn’t pull some strings, she won’t be able to get in. Screening was very difficult.

 

"I wasn't given a chance to thank you properly yet. You could have won, you know." He jested playfully and he was confused when something foreign crossed her eyes. Was it guilt?

 

"I-I just felt it was my duty to. . .to stop." One look at him and she knew that he was not convinced. She kicked herself mentally. Why did she ever show her face here?

 

"That is very nice of you." He replied in exaggerated delight. "You said you are going home. Where's home?" He can't detect any accent from her speech other than neutral English. Must be a Korean who grew up somewhere.

 

"Home for me is wherever my family is together." It’s unnecessary to reveal things about herself. They won't be seeing each other after this anyway.

 

"How profound. So, where are they?" He beamed.

 

Baekhyun was about to say the name of the first place that came to her mind when the door flew open and a stunning middle-aged slender woman entered and darted to Chanyeol's side. Must be the mother. Behind her were the gods of Olympus, er, the people on the report Edward Ou submitted to her. In the flesh. She went rigid in her seat. The last one to enter was a middle-aged man and beside him's Choi Luhan.

 

"How are you?" Hankyung checked Chanyeol's vital signs.

 

"I am sorry Ma, I got you all worried. You didn't have to come, you know." He said and gave Hankyung a hug.

 

"What are you saying? Can I bear not seeing you after what happened?" She reprimanded.

 

They didn't seem to notice her as she slowly walked towards the door as they all crowd over Chanyeol, asking how he was and what happened. She took advantage of the situation to escape. She was about to turn the knob when his mother asked.

 

"And who is this lady?" She was asking no one in particular. Baekhyun winced. She turned slowly after displaying a fake smile on her face.

 

"Oh, I am sorry. Everyone, I’d like you to meet Kim Baekhyun. She was the racer who stopped to help me. And Baekhyun, these are my parents and my brothers, Joonmyeon-hyung," He indicated to the serious-looking man seated on the chair that she occupied who nodded. "Yifan-hyung," He tapped the one busy checking the medicines on the bedside table that turned to her briefly and smiled.”

 

"I am Jongin." The one with y dark skin and intense gaze shook her hand. "And that is our Luhan-hyung." Luhan winked at her and smiled a heart- melting smile. No wonder her sister was hooked. Line and sinker. She felt her blood boil instantly. It was so unfair that he looked so happy and Minseok's miserable. She wanted to kick his gut. Good thing she was standing far from him.

 

"Nice to meet all of you. Sir, Ma'am." She bowed slightly to his parents. As she took a good look at Hankyung and concluded that Minkyung got most of her features from her and from Luhan. Especially the eyes. The old woman’s eyes were the lightest of brown just like her niece’s. She groaned in frustration. How could this bastard deny Minkyung? She didn't even take anything from them. Not even from Minseok.

 

"Nice to meet you, too, Sweetheart. Thank you so much for what you did." And to her horror, Hankyung hugged her tightly. Her eyes were wide. She swallowed several times. The woman released her and guided her beside Yifan. "Why are you leaving so soon? We do apologize for our manners, we got preoccupied. Baekhyun, it's Baekhyun, right?" She checked and Baekhyun nodded. "We are so thankful for what you did. My daughter told me you could have won but you stopped. And speaking of my daughter, where is your sister?" She turned to Chanyeol.

 

"She went home, I guess." Chanyeol responded.

 

"You look familiar, young lady. Have we met before?" It was Siwon. He was sure he hadn't seen this girl before. It was not always that he mingled with young people aside from his kids but something was vaguely familiar with her.

 

"No, Sir. I don't believe so." She replied instantly that she was afraid she sounded defensive. She hadn't seen them all but she didn't know if any of them can read minds. She wanted to laugh at her own private joke but couldn’t. "And if you will excuse me, I just checked if he's okay. I really have to go." She stood and bent her body in half, afraid to meet their eyes.

 

"Oh. Alright then. Thank you so much again Baekhyun. Jongin, honey, can you send her home?" Hankyung turned to Jongin.

 

"No problem."

 

"You don't have to!" She almost yelled. Both of them spoke at the same time and Baekhyun got questioning looks from the rest of the people in the room.

 

"I mean, I brought my car with me and I can perfectly find my way out." She almost fidgeted because of the stares they were giving her. Now this really was embarrassing. "Get well soon." She gave Chanyeol a parting glance and darted out of the room. Her knees were trembling.

 

"What did you do to that girl?" Hankyung gave Chanyeol a stern look.

 

"I didn't do anything!" Chanyeol said defensively.

 

"Auntie, you mean she made it alive?" Woobin entered the room, a knowing smile on his face.

 

"Woobin-hyung!" Aside from Yifan, Luhan's the second closest person to Woobin. He gave him a hug. "It's good to see you!"

 

"Good to see you too. It's been a while." He beamed and his eyes searched for one person. "Hey, buddy! How have you been?" Yifan just laughed and hugged him.

 

"Thank you for everything." He whispered. They were from the same boarding school and they became inseparable since then.

 

"Don't mention it. Everything's okay now, right Uncle?" He turned to Siwon.

 

"Yes, yes. Thanks to you, Woobin-ah." The other day, Siwon received a message from Woobin that Trinity agreed to every condition for the fear of scandal.

 

"Woobin-ah, thank you so much for looking out for Hunnie." Hankyung gave him a hug too. "I missed you a lot. When are you going to visit again?"

 

"Auntie, Hunnie's my sister." He said instead. "And speaking of the she-devil, I have to go summon the two hiding rats.” He laughed and went out of the room again.

 

*****************************************

 

"Kim Baekhyun, you're dead." She muttered to herself. She was struggling to open her own car with her trembling hands. "You're really dead." But she can't forget the friendly and inviting smile of Luhan. She settled on her seat but did not start the car. If she'll drive in her condition, two things: One, she'll definitely going to kill someone. Second, she'll definitely kill herself. She took consecutive deep breaths to calm herself.

 

Yesterday, she decided to scrap her plan of revenge. She even thought it was pathetic. But seeing that Luhan wasn't even bothered that he fathered a child somewhere around the globe infuriates her to the core. "Back to plan A." She said out loud. Now that she's already introduced to Chanyeol and somehow, he owed her something, it should be easier. She then remembered the charming remarks and his subtle flirtation. She wanted to puke. What a jerk. Not even fully recovered and yet. . . She narrowed her eyes to the pavement. She was actually contemplating on planting bouncing Betties in the hospital grounds.

 

When she was a lot calmer, she called home and informed her father of her plans of returning home soon. She's all packed and her ticket's ready. She was just waiting for Sehun to arrive. In Korea, she can plan her moves towards Chanyeol better.

 

*****************************************

 

"I don't know.--I don't know.--I don't know." Amber rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. "Why don't you see for yourself?--Yeah right.--Don't call me again.--Bye!" She shut her phone off and threw it on the bureau. Sehun raised an eyebrow. The phone almost shattered to pieces.

 

"'You, alright?" She asked. "Who's that?"

 

"My brother." Amber replied shortly and Sehun didn't ask anymore. She shunned every information there was about Amber's brother. They had what you call the personality clash, she figured. They're both stubborn, both had strong personalities and both wouldn't bend to anyone. She continued chopping onions for their lunch.

 

"Hey, you seem like cooking a lot." The ingredients didn't look like for two people. "Is Yongguk coming over?"

 

"Oh." She totally forgot Baekhyun left the other day. Goodbyes were an emotional one. She still had the separation anxiety she developed during her younger years. "I," She swallowed, "Forgot it's only the two of us now." Her family left a day before Baekhyun did. She was feeling guilty she had to hide her real identity from Baekhyun but it was for her own good. Amber walked towards her and wrapped her arm on her shoulder and shook her slightly.

 

"Cheer up, buddy. If you don't, I'll ask Yongguk to come over." Amber laughed and Sehun's face scrunched up. Yesterday, when everything was over, Sehun challenged Yongguk into a sparring and beat him up to a pulp. It was for turning her in to Gen. Raymond.

 

"That traitor." She gritted her teeth. "He won't have my cooking in the next hundred years!" She declared. The bruises he incurred from their sparring yesterday wouldn't disappear in the next few days.

 

Amber laughed heartily at her childishness and changed the topic. "I think I would have to reveal who I really am soon. To Baekhyun's family at least." Amber added the last sentence hastily when her head jerked up. Amber was still wondering how Sehun could chop vegetables while looking another way or enumerate all the ingredients of a certain dish just by merely tasting it. It scared her more than ever that the butcher knife that she was holding was gliding ever-so-smoothly on the celery stalk that she was chopping. "Can you pay attention to what you are doing?" She shrieked.

 

"I am paying attention to what I am doing. Now, care to tell me why the sudden decision to reveal yourself?" Sehun finished the mirepoix that she was chopping in no time.

 

"I was just thinking, if both Gege and I would be godparents of Minkyung, it was just proper that Minseok knows to whom she trusted her child to, right?" She made puppy dog eyes at Sehun.

 

"We just have to cross the bridge when we get there. If you are going to reveal yourself, you're not only endangering your lives but my team's as well." Sehun said matter-of-factly. She loved Amber but she can’t agree with what she was thinking.

 

"But you trust Baekhyun to hide it, right?" She was as persistent as ever.

 

"How about her family? It's not that I don't trust them but Huang Zian, you have to understand that we're just following orders. But just to give you a fair fight, I'll ask my boss about it." She dismissed but Amber won't let her go easily.

 

"Surely, neither Gen. Raymond nor my brother would allow just the two of us to go to Busan. How would you explain the army of bodyguards that we are going to bring?" Amber smiled in triumph when she stopped mixing the vegetable soup on top of the stove.

 

"Amber, you are no help here in the kitchen, I figured that out long ago but I didn't know that you really have a talent to become a pest. Now, shoo! Go set the table!" She pushed her out of the kitchen, refusing to give her a definite answer. Amber was laughing merrily, believing that she really got her thinking.

 

***************************************

 

"Hi. . .It's me. 'Haven't heard from you in a week. Call me once you are back, okay?"

 

"It's me again. . .It's been ten days. . .I," He heard her took a deep breath. "I'm getting worried. Can you call me right away after you receive this?" He heard the underlying plead in her voice.

 

"I don't know if you've received all the messages that I left for you but wherever you are, I really hope that you are okay. Call me. . .if you can."

 

That was the last message from Kyungsoo. Jongin turned his personal phone off again. He didn't know if it was an intelligent move that he didn't give her his business phone number. It had been almost half a month since he had last seen her. He deliberately didn't contact Kyungsoo since he got to New York. From seeing Chanyeol in London, he flew nonstop from UK to Seoul to drop his family off and then to New York again to work on a Choi Airways matter. But that matter was settled long ago. He just chose to stay behind. He was desperately trying to sort things out. Trying to sort his feelings out. Being so close to Kyungsoo these past few months felt heaven. He even thought he felt something even more intense for her than what he felt for Krystal before. And it scared him so much. Way too much. He picked the secured phone and used it to call Kyungsoo.

 

************************************

 

Kyungsoo heard her phone ringing but when she picked it up, she didn't see any number on the screen. She decided to ignore it. She learned from experience that taking calls from random strangers can be annoying if not dangerous. After fifteen rings, it stopped and she was half-expecting that whoever it was would call again but they didn't.

 

********************************************

 

"Kyungsoo, let's go." Nancy caught her arm and almost dragged her to the car.

 

Kyungsoo felt utter disappointment. Graduation rites were over and she didn't even see any hint of Jongin. Months ago, he stopped contacting her for a reason that she didn't dare ask. She just learned later that his brother got into an accident in London and he had to attend to the latter's duties in New York. She was really upset that he didn't make any effort to communicate with her to think that she almost died worrying. She wanted to go to his office to ask about him but she thought she had no right to do that. She replayed everything in her mind over and over to see if she said anything that offended him or appalled him, a reason for him not to contact her at all.

 

But he came back and it went back to normal. And she didn't ask anything. She was afraid to. Jongin might think that she was being too clingy and Sungjong told her that men loathed clingy women. And she didn't want him to have any reason to end the relationship. At least not yet.

 

She already reconciled the truth that men like him won't really consider dating someone like her. Maybe he was just being kind or he was just compelled to protect her. Everything started with a joke and she knew someday, the joke will reach its punch line. She just wanted to enjoy everything while it lasted.

 

"Congratulations." She almost jumped up when she heard that oh-so-familiar voice. A smile crept up on her face. She turned slowly towards the voice.

 

"You're late." She accused softly.

 

"I witnessed it from start to finish. I just didn't want to steal your moment, that's why." He smiled sheepishly. "Auntie, can I have Kyungsoo for the rest of the evening?" He turned to Nancy. Nancy rolled her eyes but smiled.

 

"You have to take her home safely, okay?" She said and got into the car. Myungsoo already took Sungjong away to celebrate, too. "I can't believe I have to celebrate all by myself tonight." She tsked and both of them laughed. They waited for her to drive away before Jongin guided her towards his car.

 

"Come on, I have two gifts for you."

 

"Why two?" The creases on her forehead sent him laughing.

 

"Indulge me this time, okay? It's your graduation gift." He focused his eyes on the road. Soon enough, the car was pulling in what looked like a private hangar. Kyungsoo saw the Cessna plane right on the base of a private runway. "This is the first gift. The other one's waiting for you at home and I already asked your aunt to take care of it for me."

 

"Are you giving me a Cessna?" Her eyes looked like they would pop out o f their sockets.

 

"I am not that rich yet." He beamed. "Let's go." He guided her out of the car. Uniformed personnel were waiting for them at the foot of the plane.

 

"Young Master. Miss." He acknowledged and bowed.

 

"Everything's ready, Young Master. I've arranged for refueling in case you'll need one."

 

"Thank you. We'll go ahead then." They boarded the plane. She sat on one of the comfortable seats when she saw him shaking his head. "Hey, don't just sit there. You’ll be my co-pilot" He chuckled when he saw her baffled expression and dragged her to the cockpit.

 

"Co-pilot? Are you kidding me? And where are you taking me anyway?" She followed him towards the front end of the small but sinfully expensive plane. Everything that her gaze fell into was grandiose—to the soft upholstered seats to the state of the art entertainment console for each passenger. There were no more than ten seats around and it looked more like a game room than a plane.

 

"You'll see." He replied mysteriously. He guided her to the seat and fastened her safety belts. "You aren't nervous, are you?"

 

"No." Of course she was! But she was not sure if it's because of the impending plane ride or their closeness. She was sure she didn't see anyone in the plane aside from the two of them. Where were they going? How can he promise Nancy that he'll take her home early? It's already ten minutes past four! Kyungsoo enjoyed the plane ride from a pilot's point of view. Jongin was as suave pilot as he was a driver on land. She didn't feel any turbulence at all. It was already getting dark when she heard him speak in what she made out to be Japanese through the communication console and soon enough they were landing at the Narita Airport. "I thought we'll just have dinner." She pouted. She didn't even bring her camera!

 

"Yes. I figured authentic sushi and sake would be best to celebrate." A limousine drove them to a Japanese garden and a table full of Japanese specialties under the cherry blossom tree was waiting for them. She was stunned by the white-pink flowers that covered the whole tree. A distinct sweet smell dominated the air and when she looked further; she saw swans and scented candles floating aimlessly in a small lagoon. They looked graceful as they co-exist in the peaceful body of water. She was speechless for the better part of the moment. She just stood there and held her breath. It was as if a slight gasp would end the mirage.

 

"'Like it?" He was beside her. He wrapped a coat on her bare shoulders. She was still wearing the mini dress that she wore inside her graduation robe.

 

"It's. . .beautiful. Thank you." She was sure she would never find a place as beautiful as this one. She turned to meet his eyes and she hoped that her eyes could say what her lips could not.

 

"You're welcome." He raised his hand for a moment and a uniformed chef appeared and served their dinner. They spent the whole evening talking about nonsensical stuff. They even went shopping in Shinjuku. She was fascinated by the neon lights that wrapped the whole city. They were busy browsing from shop to shop when someone called Jongin's attention.

 

"Jongin?" Kyungsoo turned and saw one of the most tantalizing woman that she ever saw. Slender and tall, long haired, doe-eyed and cat-like. She walked like a dream towards them and she felt Jongin stiffen beside her. "It's really you." She smiled, exposing a perfect set of white teeth. Kyungsoo felt like a pauper beside the woman in jeans and button-down shirt.

 

"Krystal." He acknowledged. "It's good to see you again."

 

The woman he called Krystal gave Kyungsoo a genial smile and she was compelled to smile back. She glanced sideways ever so carefully to gauge Jongin's reaction. His face was passive and didn't indicate the goodness of seeing her again at all. Krystal looked embarrassed and withdrawn because of his reception.

 

"I thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw both of you walk out of YSL." She indicated the YSL store across the road. "God, it's been so long." She looked discouraged but still tried.

 

"Yeah. It's been what, two, three years?" Jongin replied noncomitally but deep inside, wounds freshened up. He remembered the humiliation he underwent after the much publicized engagement. Krystal smiled humbly and looked at Kyungsoo. Jongin got the hint. "By the way, this is Do Kyungsoo, my girlfriend. Kyungsoo, this is Krystal Jung or should I say Krystal Kang?" He taunted.

 

Krystal ignored him. "Hello Kyungsoo. Nice to meet you. You are very lucky to have this guy on your side. Take care of him." She shook her hand. Jongin smirked.

 

Kyungsoo smiled awkwardly as she was feeling the tension between the two. "Nice to meet you, too." She bowed slightly. Now she remembered where she first saw her. Krystal Jung was the first ever Asian Loreal model and was the cover of various magazines during her reign as the Supermodel of the World. And she was the rumored girl of famous steel mogul, Kang Minhyuk.

 

"Anyway, I just stopped to greet you two. I better get going. Bye Jongin." She looked up and Kyungsoo caught tears in Krystal's eyes before she turned and walked away from them.

 

"It's getting late. I think we better get going, too." He said and the dreamy atmosphere disappeared. Kyungsoo saw the limousine that she didn't even notice following them all along and let herself be dragged towards it. They rode in silence and they were already in the plane when she heard him speak again. "You can stay here and take a nap. It was a long day for you." He pulled some pillows and blanket from one of the overhead compartments and placed it on one of the comfortable seats and went straight to the cockpit without sparing her a glance.

 

She wanted to ask him but she can't bring herself to. She remembered Krystal's crestfallen face. She didn't know why her beauty haunted her. Could she be. . .? She pushed unwanted thoughts from her mind. But Jongin's reaction upon seeing Krystal was all she could think of throughout the whole trip from Tokyo to Seoul.

 

***************************************

 

Yifan was looking for a particular file inside the safe in his office. He lifted a couple of folders and extracted them out when a piece of paper fell. He stopped in his tracks and picked the paper up and came face to face with the familiar handwriting. He sighed and forgot all about the file he was looking for.

 

He sat on the wicker chair closest to the miniature water falls that he designed himself. It was a large water fixture that flows to a small lagoon. Yixing inspired the magnificent work of art. As far as he can remember, she loved the water. He remembered the day that he took her and Yixuan to their Eastern District vacation home. The delight in Yixing's face that day would forever be etched in his mind. To think that their resort in Eastern District was too modest for his family's taste. They have grander rest houses all over the world. How he would love to show her their Maldives property or maybe their Lyford Cay villa. Then he remembered the paper that he was holding. He'd read it a thousand times before. He read it again hoping against hope that the words would change.

 

Dear Yifan,

 

Do you remember the day that you married me? You said it was the only way you can protect me, the only way you can watch over me forever. I know you've been keeping tabs of me these past years. I remember each time I am in desperate need of help but no one to turn to in the foreign land, a person or a solution would miraculously appear. No person can do that except from you. You've always known that you were Yixuan's idol. But I never told you that you are my one and only Superman, my personal hero. I never had a chance to thank you for all you did for me, for Yixuan. I hope it was never too late. Xie xie ni.

 

But I really hope that this time, you can unburden yourself of your obligations. Of me. I have long wanted to set you free of that promise you made in Yixuan's deathbed. I left without a word seven years ago so that you can continue living your life like nothing happened. Since the day we met, I gave you problems, the most frustrating failure. I know you're still beating yourself up for her death when all the people around you knew you did everything you can. We're all headed that way and her time was up. She loved you and I know that wherever she is now, she still does.

 

I just want to ask a favor, please don't come after me. Nor send someone to follow me twenty four-seven. I know you mean well but I am not a kid anymore. I can very well take care of myself and I want you to do the same.

 

At the end of the letter was Yixing's delicate signature. The only favor she asked in return. How could he be so honorable to keep a stupid promise? The night he brought Yixing home to meet his family, they had the hugest fight. It was a favor he asked not to hurt his family's feelings. Especially Hankyung's. Yixing was really mad at him for putting her on the spot. He was desperate to calm her down that night that he said something that he will regret up to his next life.

 

"Okay, okay. You can ask any favor from me. Anything at all. Please?" He sent her a pleading gaze. She was panting, trying to control her anger. She didn't say anything for a long moment. His heart was thumping wild in his chest. He fought the urge to hug her and crush her in his arms.

 

"Anything?" She reiterated.

 

"Anything. What is it?" He asked.

 

"No. Not now. I might need that favor in the future. You have to promise me that you will do everything to honor that favor." She stuck her pinky out. "Or else I will never ever forgive you."

 

How could he be so dumb to agree? He can't believe that he was conned by his own words. She even highlighted the word FAVOR in her letter by writing it in English. She was never the person who forgets things. And promises. And a favor was a debt unpaid.

 

The speedboat was found in the Port of Naples. She even refilled the gallon of fuel she used for her trip. His men in Milan reported to him that Yixing was back in her apartment. It was before he ordered them to stop watching her. At least she was back safe. He already asked Woobin to send the divorce papers to her lawyer. And that was the last correspondence he had with her. He hoped that she would at least call him, to inform him that she got the papers or something. He was dying to see her, hear her voice. But her lawyer left a message for him instead. He wanted to contact her badly and break his promise but he was afraid that she really won't forgive him this time.

 

************************************************

 

"Are you sure this is what you want, Baekhyun?" Yesung asked Baekhyun before he took a spoonful of pumpkin soup. He eyed his younger daughter doubtfully. He had long given up on the idea that he will soon leave his chain of hotels and resorts worldwide to his two daughters. Minseok was the only one interested in business and was really up for the challenge of manning such a large company. Baekhyun was just interested in the arts and literature and charity. She's the chairperson of the foundation that the Kim Corporation sponsored and was busy travelling and enriching her knowledge by studying abroad. But to his surprise, she went home weeks ago, not very long after they left her in London saying she no longer wanted to continue her masters in Cambridge. She said she wanted to have a management training instead. Though he was happy that she finally discovered her interest in helping her sister, he was still quite skeptic about it.

 

"Of course." She beamed though her palms were sweating under the dining table. Minseok didn't say anything but was eyeing her suspiciously too.

 

"Alright. I will ask one of our executives to give you a job." He said dismissively.

 

"Papa, don't you think my training will be a little sloppy if I am going to train in our own company? The employees will treat me differently because I am the boss's daughter." She gave him a toothy grin. The one that she always does if she thinks she will win the game.

 

"And what do you want me to do, send you to a small struggling company? The skills that you will acquire there will not be useful when you get to manage ours!" He asked sarcastically. His company was tried and tested and had survived many financial storms.

 

"Not a small struggling company exactly. You are friends with the chairman of Choi Group, right?" Now, that was a product of a thorough research. She found it real preposterous that Luhan’s father was her father's college friend. She was sure Minseok didn’t know about it, too. She didn't even know that she knows who Minkyung's father was. Minseok coughed from drinking water when she heard the name of the company she mentioned.

 

"Unnie, are you alright?" She asked, pretending to be innocent. She just nodded profusely.

 

"Now you got me thinking. How did you know that Choi Siwon’s my friend?" Yesung asked.

 

"I believe you mentioned it to me once." She told him. She actually got the idea from the painting she found in her own room when she got back. It was a watercolor rendition of the Big Ben and it was signed by no less than Choi Luhan! It was beautifully wrapped along with the certificate indicating that all the money collected from the exhibit will be donated to her favorite charity, the Christian Children's Fund. She wanted to throw it away but Yesung will definitely be looking for it. It wasn't cheap anyway. It's not that it's not worth it; she must admit that Luhan's talent was exceptional. The short story behind the painting was written on a card that came with it. He painted the humongous bell tower when he was ten and was at a boarding school in London.

 

"But their office is in Seoul." She could hear the reluctance in his voice. She decided to push her luck.

 

"It's a lot closer than London. Appa, please? I will be a good girl. Please?" She pleaded like a five-year old. She saw that Minseok's eyes were wide in shock but she figured out that she will not dare go against it or their father would have the slightest idea of Minkyung's fatherhood. "Unnie, that's a good idea, right? I heard their company's always open to those who wanted to learn. I even met one of CEOs in London." She told them.

 

"One of its CEOs?" Yesung asked. "Who?"

 

"Choi Chanyeol." She answered readily. "We sort of became friends actually." She lied.

 

"Oh. That boy. I know him. If you're going to train under his command then I have nothing against it." Yesung wiped his mouth with the linen napkin and sort of noticed Minseok's demeanor. "Minseokkie, are you not feeling well, honey? You seem so not in the mood." He asked.

 

"No." She replied in a high-pitched voice. Good thing her father didn't notice the panic in her voice. "I am fine. I am just tired, I guess." She reasoned. "Baekhyun, we have a lot of friends here in Busan, why do you have to go to Seoul just for training? If you really want to train abroad, one of the owners of Hewlett Packard, Rahul Sood was my classmate in Harvard; I can call him if you want." She was trying hard to keep her voice even. There's no way in hell that she would send her sister to the lion's den!

 

"Choi Group's a lot bigger than HP." She retorted. "Besides, I know Choi Chanyeol and I don't know that Sood man."

 

"Alright, I'll call Siwon tomorrow but for now, excuse me ladies and I have to go play with my sweetheart first." He was humming a tune while on his way to Minkyung's nursery.

 

Minseok can't do anything but to sigh in defeat.

 

**********************************