Special Garlic Aioli

A Blessing or A Curse
 
A/N: The sorta SuChen chapter. And oh, Kaisoo! 

 

Day of the Choi-Kim Wedding. Hampstead, London, 5am.

 

 

When Jongdae was commissioned to do wedding photography, she wanted to say no. She didn’t do weddings and she didn’t think her style fitted the overall happy atmosphere of a wedding. She always opted for simple subjects with a little bit of drama.

 

But then, bills were piling up and she’d rather starve than ask Kyuhyun for help. And Eunji said it was a good way to think outside the box and challenge herself (and travel for free!). So she found herself in a London suburb in front of one of the most beautiful manors she’d ever seen. She paid the cab driver and stepped out of the car, still amazed with everything around her.

 

Parts of the red brick walls were covered in moss but it only added to the character of the house. Flowering vines climbed up the white perimeter wall that enclosed vast well-maintained greenery. From the huge wrought iron gates, a limestone pathway lined with an avenue or cypress trees led to a metal archway that framed the wooden double doors. Two pots of flowering vines stood guard by the archway created a canopy of nice smelling flowers. Add that to the early morning sun and foggy backdrop and you’ll have a place worthy of any architectural magazine.

 

Before she can lift the knocker, the double doors opened and she was welcomed by a beautiful statuesque lady with dark brown hair and the most alluring dimple.

 

“Hello! You must be Jongdae. I’m Yixing.” She shook her hand. “I was the one you’re talking to. Glad you’re able to make exceptions for us. Qian’s a good friend of mine.”

 

“B-But I was talking to—Lay?” She asked, confused.

 

“Oh! I’m so sorry! I used my old business email. I didn’t think the old signature was still there. That was the name I used when I was working as a model. Come in.” She opened the door wider to let Jongdae in.

 

The inside of the house was as beautiful as the yard. The pieces were few but well thought-of. “Do you need help with those?” She asked, gesturing to the bags and tripod she was carrying.

 

“Oh, no. I’m okay. Are you the one getting married?” Yixing chuckled.

 

“Nope. It’s a good friend of mine and soon-to-be sister-in-law.” She’s getting made up so if you’ll come with me upstairs?” They walked up the winding staircase, Jongdae appreciating the chic country interiors.

 

“This house is very beautiful.”

 

“Don’t tell the bride but she thinks this a loan from a friend but the groom bought this as a wedding gift.” She mock whispered.

 

“How sweet!” Jongdae almost turned green with envy. Two men in dark suits were standing outside the door. My god, who are these people? I’m not going to Pippa Middleton’s wedding, am I? Two men were already stationed outside. They opened the gates for her earlier and asked for identification and scrutinized her bags. 

 

The room was abuzz with several people moving around to either look for the lost gloves or to look for The safety pin! Where the are the safety pins when you need them! 

 

“Did you just arrive today? Do you need anything to help you with your jetlag?” Yixing, the ever gracious host, asked. 

 

“I arrived yesterday morning. I slept the whole day after that.” She smiled sheepishly. 

 

“That’s good! You need all the rest that you can get. We arrived a week ago but the list of things that needed attention is endless!” A slight woman in a plush lounging robe came over. “Hi, Baek! This is Jongdae, our photographer. Jongdae, meet your bride, Baekhyun.” 

 

"Hello! Congratulations!”

 

"Thanks! You’re highly recommended. I’m glad you’re able to squeeze us in.” 

 

"Thank you for the opportunity, Baekhyun-ssi. I’ll be setting up now, if you don’t mind?” She was itching to use her camera. She didn’t think weddings can excite her this much. There were lace, magnificent flowers, happy smiling faces—combination of her favorite things.

 

“Just go on ahead and do your thing, Jongdae-ssi! I trust you completely.” Baekhyun made a hwaiting sign and disappeared to get her hair done. 

 

"I might leave you here in a while to oversee preparations in the church. I’ll have one of the drivers drive you to church, okay?” Yixing left her after that and she didn’t see her again. 

 

She took pictures of the bride getting dressed and the people fussing around her. She also got to meet Baekhyun’s sister, the stunning Minseok and her father. When she thought she took enough pictures, she packed her stuff. She locked herself in the en suite bathroom to put in a new roll of film for her old-fashioned one and made sure her digital camera had enough battery to last her the whole ceremony and the reception. 

 

She was just training her eyes to see in the dark when she heard Baekhyun say, “I’d like to have a few minutes to myself. I’ll see you all downstairs in a bit.” Jongdae fumbled with her camera in trying to unload the films as fast as she can when she heard Baekhyun’s voice again, this time filled with a mixture or annoyance and was it fear? 

 

“Who are you? What are you doing here?” She asked sharply. 

 

“Abbassare la vostra voce!” The person hissed. Jongdae did not understand anything but she can sense that Baekhyun was in trouble. Her palms were sweating in fear. She was hearing a muffled conversation but she can’t make out anything. She looked around the bathroom for any possible escape route. She didn’t know why the bodyguards outside didn’t barge in yet. If she heard the person correctly, the intruder was a woman and surely, she can’t take down four burly Caucasians just like that. 

 

She heard a voice that sounded like it’s coming from a phone most probably, “Auntie!” And then nothing. 

 

She heard movement again, this time the same opening and closing of a window or a door. She didn’t dare move from where she was perched under the sink. She prayed hard that she’ll be able to go back to her father and aunt in one piece. 

 

After long minutes of waiting, she moved from where she was hiding and opened the door a sliver and saw that the room was empty. She ambled carefully downstairs and saw that it was empty save for a low conversation coming from what she figured out was the kitchen. Holding on to her camera bag like it was her lifeline, she dashed outside but not before someone was shouting behind her. 

 

"Hey!” 

 

******************************************** 

 

Jongin looked devastated. When Jongin’s sister-in-law Yixing dropped in to say, Hi! I’m so sorry to tell you that the wedding was called off. I trust that you won’t let anything go to waste. I’ll see you around, Kyungsoo-ssi, Kyungsoo took off to look for him. She found him on top of the hill overlooking the Heath Pond. 

 

From where they were, they can see people dismantling the huge canopy set up for the wedding reception. Others were busy clearing the flatware and china. She sat beside him wordlessly. Jongin didn’t even look up from uprooting clover leaves from the innocent ground. She knew she smelt of rotten mayonnaise and rancid oil from slaving in the kitchen for almost twelve hours but she didn’t care. 

 

She scooted closer to him and hugged him from the side. “I’m sorry.” She mumbled against his nicely-pressed suit. 

 

“Why is it so difficult to be happy?” He sounded foreign to Kyungsoo’s ears. 

 

"Because you have a lot of money. The bible said it’s not easy for a rich man to enter the gates of paradise.” She said in jest but she can’t laugh fully at the truth of what she said. 

 

Jongin chuckled. “Just look around you. For most people, this is paradise.” He raised his hand to intertwine it with hers around his torso. “At least for me, this is paradise.” He kissed the top of her head. 

 

Kyungsoo sat up suddenly, jolting Jongin from half-slumber. “C’mon! I need you to do something!” She pulled him by the hand and ran to where the makeshift kitchen was. The staff was all busy packing the food. “Are we done yet?” Murmurs of agreement were heard. “Great! Please load them all to the van. You know your way well around here, don’t you?” She asked him.

 

"Er, y-yes. Why?” He was handed the keys to the delivery van. 

 

“I need you to drive for me, come on! The food’s going to get cold.” She had the go-signal from Yixing to dispose the food any way she saw fit and she will do just that. 

 

“Where are we going exactly?” 

 

"Cannon Street Road in Shadwell, please.” 

 

“Should I use the meter?” He laughed. 

 

"I really have no money on me so can I pay you with food, Mr. Driver?” She pouted. 

 

“I just ate though but I’ll drive you up to Luxembourg if you kiss me, Ms. Hitchhiker.” 

 

She smacked him in the head. “Yah! Byuntae! Just drive!” 

 

“I’m a battered boyfriend.” It was his turn to pout. 

 

“Then you’ll taste so good deep fried with special garlic aioli.” 

 

****************************************** 

 

Children’s Home was one of the beneficiaries of Hankyung’s foundation so it was no surprise that the Headmistress personally welcomed them and gave them a short tour the moment they arrived. 

 

"It’s very nice to see you, Master Jongin. Can I help you with anything?” She asked graciously, tactically eyeing the disheveled woman hiding behind Choi Jongin. 

 

"This is Chef Kyungsoo. Sweetheart, this is Mrs. Klein. She’s overall in-charge of the orphanage.” He introduced, tugging at her hand to intertwine with his, knowing that the old woman was still watching them carefully. “We brought something for the kids, Mrs. Klein. It’s just 2pm so please advise your kitchen that there would be enough food for dinner. We just need to move them from the van and put them in the warmer.” 

 

Kyungsoo made sure that dinner looked like she’s serving Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s wedding guests. They not only brought desserts but food cooked by Wolfgang Puck himself. And when the degustation started, she was worried it might take forever to pry the kids off the ceiling because of too much sugar. 

 

For the first time since that afternoon, she went to personally see their diners and was surprised to see they’re not really small kids but young teenagers. Nostalgia washed over her, remembering her time in the orphanage. She held back her tears and offered everyone a huge smile. 

 

“Hi, everyone! Did you enjoy the food?” Happy agreements were heard. Others were even making noise with their flatware and glasses. 

 

"Yes! Is it Christmas yet?” One asked. 

 

“It could be.” She laughed. “My name’s Kyungsoo and I hope you’re ready for some serious dessert.” Jongin was watching her from across the room, a happy smile on his face. 

 

Today isn’t so bad after all. Jongin thought.