Double Trouble

A Blessing or A Curse

"Minkyung-ah!" Baekhyun exclaimed when she saw Minkyung's incubator being wheeled near the viewing window. The baby's awake and was staring blankly onto space. They knew she was not able to see anything yet. "Look at how gorgeous your granddaughter is, Appa." She turned to Yesung and saw that her father was shedding tears that he didn't even bother to hide. "Are you alright?"

 

"I am spectacular actually. She is so beautiful, Baekhyun-ah." His voice was full of emotion. He was looking intently at Minkyung. "Minkyungie, your father doesn't like you but don't ever think you'll be less of a person because of that. Imo, Omma and Haraboji would be here for you always." He was whispering as if Minkyung can hear. Baekhyun can't help but be touched.

 

Minseok was resting in her room and Baekhyun accompanied their father to see her niece. He just arrived last night from Busan. "You are right, Appa. We would love her to the point that she has no reason to ask for her idiot father."

 

"Baekhyun! I didn't raise you to be like that." Yesung in a reprimanding tone.

 

"Mianhe. I just can't help it." She bowed her head down. She was the only person who knew about Minkyung's father. For Yesung, it didn't matter.

 

"Let us forget about it. By the way, you look different." He stated, looking at her intently. "But it suits you." He smiled and placed his arm on her shoulders. "It must be your sister's nagging. I bet you raided all the shopping malls in London that Minkyung can't wait to join." He laughed.

 

"So you noticed, huh?" She beamed before her face became awkward. "But do I look okay?"

 

"As the song goes, you look wonderful, baby." He patted her head and messed up her tresses.

 

"Thank you for the vote of confidence, father." She pushed the buzzer and the nurse showed up from the other side. She made a thumbs up sign and the nurse wheeled Minkyung inside again. They went hand in hand back to Minseok's room. "Appa, I have to leave you now. I have to get home first. Amber will be driving today."

"Who's Amber?" He asked, the creases on his forehead gave away his age.

 

"Amber's her neighbor. She was one of the girls who helped us get to the hospital." It was Minseok. She was eating fresh oranges.

 

"Yup. We are carpooling to school so that we can save our precious energy from driving." She rolled her eyes heavenward. "Got to go!" She danced her way to the door that made Minseok and Yesung laugh.

 

"I am glad she found good friends in such a short time. And looks like you won her over. Finally. I was sure this was the reason why you wanted to join her here in the first place." He was shaking his head while smiling widely.

 

"You bet! The clothes Omma left in her closet are far better than what she used to wear! And I manage to throw her glasses." Minseok was smiling triumphantly.

 

"So you've closed my Swiss account, I suppose?" He asked playfully.

 

"You suppose correct, Appa!" Minseok shrieked that made them both laugh before Yesung became rather serious.

 

"Do you intend to stay here?" He asked, expression took a serious turn.

 

"No, Appa. I am going back to Busan as soon as Minkyung's cleared to go." She replied.

 

"If you are just thinking about me, don't. You can stay here if you really want. I'll just visit as often as I could. Besides, with technology, you can still do your work away from home." He was worried about her heart's condition. Even if she puts a happy facade, he knew his daughter's bleeding inside.

 

She just shook her head. "If you only knew how I miss home now. Busan is my home and I am not turning my back on my responsibility." She reassured him with a smile and hugged her father. "Thank you for accepting Minkyung and I." She said while swallowing intermittently.

 

"You don't have to mention it and besides, that bundle of joy is my beautiful granddaughter." He smiled upon remembering Minkyung's angelic face.

 

"I think I have to be wary of Minkyung being spoiled rotten." Minseok was more like noting it mentally.

 

"That is the job of a grandparent." He said.

 

*************************

 

Taemin drove up Trinity Road inside University of Cambridge. He slowed down a bit as the map he brought indicated that Clare College would just be around the corner. He planned to surprise his cousin. He arrived two days earlier because he wanted to spend a little time with Sehun before they both get crazily busy. His pending stint with Vogue UK would be the biggest leap of his career. He was invited to do a photo spread similar as the one released by Vogue Italia. Only, they would be using ordinary women with extraordinary talents instead of models with African origin.

 

He spotted Clare College's gate and parked his car. He went straight to the administration building and asked around.

 

"We do not have a student with that name. You can check with the university registrar instead of asking from college to college." The clerk suggested after checking his computer.

 

"Alright. Thank you." It was common for his cousin to use a different name while abroad to protect herself from their family's unknown enemies. Her failed kidnapping years ago brought too much agony amongst their family. But he didn’t know what name she was using this time. He dialed a number.

 

Hello? It was Chanyeol on the other line.

 

"Hey Dude! It's Taemin. Look, I believe Auntie told me Hunnie's with Clare College but I may have overheard it. Would you happen to know which college she enrolled? I've checked with Clare and they do not have her name on the list."

 

That is what you get for surprising her. You know she hates it. There was a gargle of laughter on the other line. She's with Clare, that I'm sure. Maybe you went to Clare Hall instead of Clare College. It's different. He said. He studied his masters and doctorate degrees in Psychology in Cambridge.

 

"This is Clare College. I am looking right at their crest." Taemin was getting annoyed. He was planning to surprise her and not the other way around. Then something caught his eye. "Nevermind...I think I know where she is." He hung up before Chanyeol could react. He went straight to the bulletin board and read the message on the large colored poster with different post-it notes stuck on it. It says: CONGRATULATIONS TO MS. SEHYUN HAN FOR BAGGING THE TOP SPOT OF THE ADMISSION EXAMS. CLARE COLLEGE WELCOMES YOU!  And then he read the notes: "Please visit the Royal Society Institute HQ and we'll be glad to welcome you as the new member.", "I love you, Sehyun Han!", "We'll be glad to have you at the Fencing Club.", "I am dying to date you, here's my number: xxx xxx xxxx.", "Want to be next Ms. Cambridge? Represent our college now!" And so on. Taemin didn't even know that his hands were balled into fists. He instantly felt protective of Sehun.

 

I wonder what she's up to this time. He thought and walked out of the college.

 

Meanwhile, Sehun was sitting at the Zen garden behind Trinity College, reading her three-inch thick book of Akhil Gupta's Culture, Power, Place for the nth time while waiting for Yongguk to arrive. He was enrolled in Trinity for this mission. Amber was in the Chinese Interdisciplinary Forum while Baekhyun was still in class. She didn't feel like joining any club at this point and decided to accept Yongguk's invitation. But he's nowhere to be found.

 

"Five more minutes and I'll definitely break your neck!" She murmured angrily.

 

"What are you doing talking to yourself, schizo?" He appeared from behind her that she almost jumped. For a big guy, he moved like a cat.

 

"About time that you show up, slacker!" She glared at him. "I've been waiting for an hour!"

 

"Let me tell you something. I am not as incredibly bright as you are leaving everyone in the dust during exams and I bought us some food 'cause I figured you don't want to eat at the university center." He grumbled while showing her the food bags. He was clearly not up to going back to school just for a mission.

 

"Hmpf." She made a face. Patience was the only virtue she's not familiar with. She held her hand out and he grinned while handing her the food. "You aren't going to eat?" She asked while examining the bags.

 

"That is...for both of us...Oh god." He snapped his fingers in the air when he remembered something. "I forgot what kind of a glutton you are." He winced. "Okay, I'm not eating. You can have it." He was gaping at the two large paper bags full of food sitting beside her.

 

"Don't be coy. I am just joking." She handed him a canister with ticky wacky salad. "Here, you can have this." She beamed.

 

"You really are a pig." He was shaking his head.

 

"You are the second person who called me that!" She snapped. "How was school?" She asked while munching on her chicken honey mustard sandwich.

 

"I'm getting used to it now though it was a lot different before I stopped." He said.

 

"Does being in the service change a great deal?" She looked at him briefly and saw that he had a far away expression on his face. Yongguk’s recruitment to the CIA was as interesting as hers.

 

"Yes." He answered briefly and she knew he didn't want to elaborate on that. "How about you, you are so grumpy these days, do you have a problem?"

 

"When did I ever run out of problems?" She shot back.

 

"I think you are in love." He declared bravely. Her eyes were suddenly wide; wide open, the last bite of the sandwich was caught up mid-air.

 

"What the hell?" She sent daggers to his direction.

 

"So, have you met someone?" He totally ignored her.

 

"You know what, now I know the reason why you’re still single. You’re so nosy!" She's irritated by his nonchalance.

 

"Don't change the subject you stinky little liar. I know the signs. Been there, you know." He narrowed his eyes at her. "I can keep a secret or lots of secrets for that matter." He grinned.

 

"I don't know what you are talking about." She denied further and kept silent. He didn't say anything as well and after long minutes, she surrendered. "Okay, okay. I've met someone who totally annoys me but I am not in love." In her mind, she's already strangling Tao and was imagining him begging for her mercy and smiled unconsciously. Unfortunately, he caught it.

 

"Annoying? Your smile says otherwise." He snickered and she immediately displayed a straight face. She glowered at him and he ignored her. "So, who's he? Oh no don't tell me it's a she? I know you have the potential to be a lesbian but please don't. I think I'm gonna puke." He was holding his throat. This time she was not able to control herself and whacked him in the head. "Aw!"

 

"You are in-cor-ri-gi-ble!" She yelled, stressing each syllable.

 

"I am suing you for physical injury!" He yelled back, caressing his head.

 

"Don't yell. This is a ZEN garden!" She was still shouting.

 

"You started it!" He snapped. "I see. You were annoyed because he doesn't like you, does he? What's to like anyway?" He was like asking himself, totally entertained. She counted from one to ten to calm herself. He hit a raw nerve. She chose not to say anything.

 

"See? You are totally upset because it's true." He assessed.

 

"I hate you.”

 

He ignored her. Again. "Wow. This is the first time that you actually lost in a verbal battle with me." He was grinning from ear to ear. "I should have brought a camera to document this!" He exclaimed and she was starting to shed her tears. "Oh come on! You are so sensitive! Everybody likes you! Be it you're Han Yi or Choi Sehun or Han Sehyun. I am just pulling your leg. Who is this guy? I am going to beat him up!" He sounds serious that she glanced up at him.

 

"He's Amber's brother." She said in a small voice and his eyes widened comically. "He's getting on my nerves!" She gritted her teeth.

 

"I think you’ve really lost your mind, Choi Sehun. Of all people, it had to be a bloody prince. What’s he like anyway?" He didn’t have a chance to meet him personally.

 

"A total jerk." She replied instantly.

 

"You’re attracted to him." It was a statement. He admitted albeit begrudgingly that the prince was as good-looking as the princess in very different ways.

"Of course not! And I can't believe I am having this conversation with you." She leafed through the pages of her book just to avoid his eyes.

 

"You at lying." He said. She wanted to explode at that moment.

 

"You abuse your skills, really." Yongguk winced in pain as he earned another jab from Sehun.

 

"It's because you would not stop!" She glared at him again. "Besides, I do not have time to think about nonsense. I have enough problems in front of me to even bother."

 

"When did your feelings become nonsense? You are just trying to avoid it or. . .” He trailed off, looking hesitant.

 

“Or what?” She prompted impatiently.

 

“Or you are still thinking about your first love.” The mention of the word him made him wary of her reaction.

 

“Of course not! I don’t even know where he is or if he’s still alive or not.” She replied instantly. Yongguk knew she was once deeply infatuated with someone ten years her senior.

 

“You know exactly who to ask.” He relaxed a bit when she didn’t go ballistic because of the topic.

 

“Why would I do that?” She asked.

 

“Just to test yourself if your heart will still go sky diving again just by the mention of he who shall not be named.” He referred to him like how Harry Potter referred to Lord Voldemort and she had to smile at that.

“I don’t know . . . I am not sure if I even want to know.” She threw her gaze at the distant River Cam. “My brother is already too caught up in this marriage fiasco.”

 

“I think Dr. Choi is right.” He said.

 

“Which Dr. Choi? There are seven doctors in my family, you know.” She rolled her eyes.

 

“Dr. Choi Chanyeol. You are involving yourself too much in the problems they are bound to solve themselves unless they ask for your help.” He explained patiently. Sehun shared the conversation she has with her brother a few days prior.

 

“I won’t if only it’s not affecting my mother too much.” She said defensively. “And why are you so into me being attracted to a jerk? Some friend you are!”

 

“Have you known him for long to judge him? It’s not you.”

 

“Alright, let us assume that I am attracted to Amber’s brother which I’m definitely not, isn’t that more complicated than me being infatuated with my brother’s best friend?”

 

“You are making it complicated.” He looked annoyed because of her lack of logic. “You mentioned he told Amber he doesn’t like you, yes?” She nodded and she didn’t know why it had to hurt. “Don’t you think it will be more complicated if he likes you too?”

 

She had to admit that he analyzed it correctly. She should give him credit for that. She nodded again and pondered more while he kept silent, too, giving her enough time to digest everything. After a long moment of companionable silence, he pulled a folded paper from his back pocket and handed it to her.

 

“What’s this?” She unfolded the newspaper and saw that it was the official publication of Trinity College.

 

“I thought you might want to see that. He pointed to an article at the lower right corner of the front page. Her eyes widened after reading the first paragraph.

 

“What the hell is this?” She was astounded. It was a malicious article insinuating that Han Sehyun was supposed to join Trinity instead of Clare. Two rumours: She was pirated by Clare in exchange for free education in Cambridge and; she was trying to do the same for Trinity in a deal of jumping ship. “I can very well pay for half of this stupid university!” She was just stating a fact.

 

“Yes. Maybe the writer didn’t even research about what kind of car you were driving.” His reaction was smug. Trinity was sourgraping that the number one student of the graduate school didn’t have any intentions of joining them. Being the largest and the most prestigious college in Cambridge, it was hard to accept.

 

“I am very sorry but I am suing your college. Or maybe I didn’t have to do that. My father will.” Maligning a Choi would be the last thing anyone would ever do.

 

“Suit yourself. If it’s any consolation, I am not enjoying my stay there myself. Dog eats dog.” He was disgusted. To think that a number of the greatest scholars that ever walked on earth were educated in Trinity. Bertrand Russell, Ernest Rutherford, and Sir Isaac Newton just to name a few.

 

*************************************

 

She was about to navigate the car out of the parking lot to pick Amber up from a forum she attended when she saw someone sitting on the trunk of her car from the rear view mirror. She muttered something unintelligible when she honked numerous times but the man refused to climb down. He was ruining her sports car for crying out loud! She went out of her car to give him a lesson but was surprised to see who it was. She was looking at him agape when he raised his camera to take a snapshot of her reaction.

 

“Gotcha!” He looked so happy sitting Indian style on her trunk.

 

“Oppa! I thought you’ll be here Friday?” She took a deep breath. Another complication.

 

“You don’t look too happy to see me.” He glared at her. She was taken aback.

 

"Ahm. . .Of course not! Why would I not be pleased to see you?" She was dead worried. If she failed to pick up Amber in the next five minutes, Julie would sure be calling her and she can't ignore her duty. Julie was guised as a student in Cambridge as well. A different college from theirs and her schedule was arranged by the director and was perfectly attuned to Amber's so that she can look after her when she's not around. Like now. And if Amber sees Taemin—well, Amber was the most curious person that she had ever met.

 

"I don't know. Maybe because you are hiding something?" He asked instead.

 

"Of course not!" She replied defensively.

 

"You've said that twice already and were not even together for five minutes." He was looking at her from under his thick lashes. She wanted to flinch. She must be thankful it was not Onew. It would be worse. They were even more protective than her brothers. If that was even possible.

 

"I am just surprised. That is all." She circled the car and motioned him in. But how about Amber? She's panicking inside and it was really difficult to keep a straight face. And then she could see Baekhyun approaching.

 

"Hi there!" She kissed both of her cheeks and Sehun went rigid. "Hey, are you alright? You look pale." She said and then noticed Taemin standing beside her car. She smiled a bit.

 

"I'm. . .fine. I think you must go home. Can you pick Amber up from the forum? She's in Peterhouse." She indicated her hand east. She was calling all the saints she knew so that Baekhyun won't ask about Taemin. And of course, she was ignored.

 

"Won't you introduce me to him first?" She asked but caught the keys of the Porsche that she threw.

 

"Oh. Yeah. I'm sorry. I was just preoccupied with. . .something. Taemin, this is Baekhyun my neighbor and my friend and Baekhyun, this is Lee Taemin, my. . .friend." Taemin raised his eyebrow but did not say a word. He extended a hand and shook Baekhyun's.

 

"Pleased to meet you Ms. Kim." He smiled a bit.

 

"Pleased to meet you too." She murmured and started to walk to the driver's side. But then she remembered something and turned to him again. "By the way, are you by any chance from Korea? Or you grew up here? I mean, I don't even know if you understand me or something." She talked to him, now in Hangul and Sehun wished for the ground to swallow her alive.

 

"I understand you perfectly well." He answered in the same language.

 

Great. Just great. Sehun thought.

 

"Oh, I see. It feels so good to meet another person from home. Anyway, I have to run errands first." She winked and turned to her. "Hey, are you sure you're gonna be fine? You look sick. And why aren't you going home with us?" Sehun just shook her head. "Okay. I'll just have this baby in your garage scratch free. See you!" She then climbed to the driver's seat and drove straight to Peterhouse to pick up Amber.

 

She stared at the rear of her car until it vanished from sight and turned to Taemin who's looking at her, his face dim and his arms were crossed in front of his chest. She can't meet his gaze for long.

 

"What was that all about?" He asked, he sat on the gutter, looking up at her ashen face. She sat beside him slowy as if the ground would crack by merely walking.

 

"I am very sorry! I didn't mean to do that. I swear." Her eyes were blurred with tears. "Wait, I've got to make a phone call." She brought her phone out and dialed Julie's number. Taemin was still silent. "Hey Schmucker," She greeted, trying to keep her voice straight. "Yes.--I know. Something came up. Could you alert Cole and Ross to look after them, please?--Yes.--No. They have my car.-- Alright. Thanks." She could feel hot tears flowing out of her eyes now. She felt so helpless lying to everyone. She regretted that she ever accepted this job.

 

"You mean you didn't purposely lie to everyone including your own mother?" He asked acidly. She knew right away that he figured out everything after she talked to Julie. When was the last time she saw Taemin this mad? She can't even remember. There were very few things in this world that can make him lose his temper.

 

"I didn't have any choice." She said in a small voice after a long moment of silence. "Favors are the greatest debts to pay. I can’t even say no." She didn't elaborate much as he knew she's not allowed to do that. "I can't even tell Mama about it. She has a handful now. A bad time to add up."

 

"She'll know sooner or later. You remember the last time that you hid some of your plans from us?" She cringed. Was this the best time to remind her? This time, she didn't hide the sour expression on her face when she looked at him.

 

"I'm sorry." She said before she sprinted towards Trinity College. She picked the lock of Yongguk's car and got in. "Hey, I borrowed your car. I’ll have it back tomorrow. Thanks!" She left a message on his phone. His class won't be over until two hours. Tears were annoyingly hot on her cheeks.

 

*********************************

 

"Uhm, Appa. . .Would it be okay if I take a leave for about 2 weeks?" Chanyeol asked Siwon over dinner.

 

"Why?" Siwon was instantly alert, after his last meeting with Luhan, someone taking a leave from work was the last thing he’d like to hear.

 

"I will be joining a race in London. I need to prepare for it." Other times, he wouldn't have to fly to the venue of the race until the final registration of racers and or the press conference. They have a private circuit in Kangwondo. He was the only one who races professionally but all of them were quite enthusiasts of fast cars and that included Hankyung. But he wanted to visit his sister too, know how she's faring in London.

 

"Karting?" Hankyung asked coolly.

 

"Neh." He breathed before taking a piece of the beef into his mouth. "'Anybody wants to join?" He let his eyes roam to his brothers who were all sitting at the table.

 

"Join you for what?" Joonmyeon asked.

 

"Moral support." He beamed but his smile faded sooner. Why did he have to sit right across Luhan on the table? The sight of him's just appetite-suppressing. He looked a lot older than their father. "Hyung?" He tapped the table slightly and it's as if Luhan just remembered they were all there.

 

Luhan didn't say anything. He just raised his brows in inquiry and he could hear his mother sigh no matter how hard she tried not to. He winced inwardly but kept his expression blank.

 

"Maybe you want to join me?" Chanyeol asked hesitantly.

 

"I can't." He replied instantly. "Excuse me." He pushed his plate slightly and stood up. "I have to finish an important proposal guys. Chalja." He kissed Hankyung on the cheek and headed upstairs. He could feel them exchanging glances behind him.

 

***********************************

 

"What is it?" The Boss asked him as he entered the office.

 

"I have good news. One of them will be out of the country." He said, face enthusiastic.

 

"I don't want any half-baked news as much any half-baked job." The Boss glared at him.

 

"I have a plan all laid out. We just have to reestablish the links with our friends in London." He smiled.

 

"Be sure you won't make a mistake this time or I would finish you myself." He gritted his teeth when he heard the dismissal.

 

************************************

 

A/N:  This chapter is conversation heavy so I apologize if it bored you to death. Thank you for reading and please tell me what you think about this chapter.