Crisscrossing Paths

A Blessing or A Curse

 

 

"Thank you very much for all of your help." Minseok was already awake when they came to visit the next morning.

 

Amber was knocking on her door even before the sun was completely up and she could see Kevin Ross’s annoying grin from across the lot when she answered the door. It seemed that it was not big of a problem to keep her beside her all the time. Ross was part of her team and was employed to tend to the apartment complex’s landscape to guise his mission. He was in-charge of looking after the princess when she’s out of Sehun’s sight. Tao already left for his flight and Yongguk saw to it that he got to the airport safe.

 

"No problem." She returned her smile and placed the fruit basket on the bedside table. She found Baekhyun’s sister very endearing especially when she smiles even if they didn’t reach her eyes.

 

The nurse came and wheeled the incubator in. "My baby..." Minseok already had tears in her eyes even before she can take a look at the sleeping infant. "Minkyung-ah..."

 

Amber took a good look at the baby and she opened her eyes. "Look, her eyes are like yours!" She said to Sehun.

 

“Really? Cool!” And they really were lightest shade of brown. She inherited the same eyes from her mother.  Sehun took a good look at Minkyung and realized she didn’t look like her mother or her aunt at all. Her button nose, her doe-like eyes in the lightest of brown and her small face must be inherited from the father but Sehun didn’t dare voice it out.

 

"By the way, Baekhyun gave me this wonderful idea last night but even if she didn’t ask me, I will still do it. I want to ask you pretty ladies to be godmothers to Minkyung and your brother too, Tao, right?" She turned to Amber.

 

"I’d love to!" Amber was ecstatic.

 

"Can I ask you a question, Minseok-ssi?" Curiosity killed the cat but what the heck. Minseok nodded once. "Is the father coming today?" She asked and noticed she caught her off-guard. But she should give her credit for being a good sport.

 

"Uhm, no, he’s not. We are no longer together and I really don’t know where he is." That was half the truth.

 

"I’m sorry I am being too inquisitive." She suddenly felt pity for the sleeping angel. She can’t imagine herself growing up without Siwon.

 

"No big deal. And please call me unnie." Minseok was back to her smiling self. "When is Papa going to be here?" She turned to her sister.

 

"He’ll be here tomorrow. He had to delegate tasks first so that he can stay here until Minkyung’s cleared to go." Her niece should stay in the hospital for two months.

 

"I bet he’s very excited to see our little angel." Minseok was smiling dreamily. All the hardships and sorrow she felt in the last few months seemed to melt away when she heard her daughter cry for the first time. If only for Minkyung, she’d have to thank Luhan a million times. Clearly, Minkyung’s the greatest thing that ever happened to her.

 

*****************************************

 

Sehun reached for her cell phone blindly, her head still under the thick comforter. "Hello?" Her voice garbled from sleep.

 

Sehun. A deep voice on the other line.

 

"Uncle!" She sat up immediately, all traces of deep slumber gone. She recognized Xander's voice. "Good," She looked at the glow-in-the-dark bedside clock, "Evening. Is there a problem, Sir?"

 

I just want to congratulate you for a job well done. She rolled her eyes. It was 3am in London and there he was, ruining her sleep. But she was sure he didn't call just to congratulate her. Her traitor partner might have reported what she did to get to the princess. She waited for the storm.  How are your...injuries? He asked calmly. She closed her eyes tightly.

 

"I'm doing well, Sir." She wanted to squirm.

 

Do you have any understanding at all what I have to face in case you get badly injured or in case you...died? The calmness in his voice betrayed the presence of impending wrath.

 

Think Choi Sehun, think! Think! Think! Think! And think fast!  She ranted in her mind. "Uncle, I don't have any idea how to get her attention. I didn't have a lot of time at my disposal." She reasoned. She used her pleading voice that she used when she was a kid and wanted to get something.

 

Don't Uncle me, goddamnit! You act impulsively all the time! One of these days it will cost you more than you think it would! His thunderous voice seemed to create an echo inside her room. She had to put the cell phone off her ear.

 

"I'm sorry." She said humbly.

 

You should be. I regretted that I assigned this job to you. I should have known it was the worst idea. His voice was a little lower, softer.  Your father would hunt me and my whole clan down if something bad happened to you, do you understand that?  He was like talking to a dumb five-year old.

 

"Do I have to...w-withdraw?" Her voice faltered. She can't imagine herself being withdrawn from an assignment. It would be the most embarrassing thing that could ever happen to an agent. What happened in Brazil was a different story. She was able to save Olivia and Martin and she was badly injured. But this assignment just began and she's in top shape. Xander was silent for a few minutes and she even thought he hung up.

 

No. Just don't give me another reason to do that. And he ended the call. That hurts. She sniffed but she realized that Xander was correct. She didn't even think of Hankyung and Siwon and her brothers. Her intellectual capacity must be deteriorating.

 

*******************************

 

People hanging out in the park stopped whatever it was they were doing and stared. In other instances, guys would have came up and introduced themselves but the two women who got out of the two most expensive cars in the world looked too dangerous for the taking. The one with royal blue Porche looked seductive in her low-slung tight jeans and knitted top. The heels of her brown knee-high boots made holes on the moist lawn. The slight breeze was blowing her hair out of her face giving them access to one of the most exotic faces they had ever seen.

 

The other one who got out of the SH 4.2 followed the first one hesitantly, trying her best to ignore the esurient glances that darted her way. In her country, nobody's allowed to look at her face unless she allowed them to. This was all new to her and this was one of the things she didn't like. She regretted a bit that she wore a dress today. She felt too exposed.

 

"That was really awful!" Their villas were only a few blocks away from Cambridge University but the rush hour traffic took them almost an hour.

 

"We should have used the train, you know." Sehun felt exhausted too from endless driving. Her sports car was useless in congested London traffic. "It will only take us a few minutes." She massaged her neck slightly.

 

"That would be a great idea. At least we don't have to drive. My car is the best but God I wouldn't do it again if I have another choice." The emperor gave her the ultra-expensive SH 4.2 as a gift.

 

"It really is the best. It's named after me." Sehun jested.

 

"Freak coincidence." Amber laughed. "Wait, Baekhyun should be here now, right?" She looked around. She and Sehun would both be going to Clare College while Baekhyun would be in Magdalene.

 

Sehun looked at her watch briefly. "Maybe it took too long."

 

"There she is." Amber's gaze went over Sehun's shoulder and saw the gleaming silver Audi R8. It was running over the speed limit that the university allowed but the traffic aid must have been awed by the beauty of the car and didn't dare to stop it. It halted onto a stop beside the 4.2., missing the car pulling out of another space by a couple of inches. Baekhyun rolled her window down and stuck her whole head out.

 

"I'm sorry!" She yelled and smiled widely to the driver of the other car. His prepared unintelligible speech got caught up his throat because of that smile.

 

"That's my girl." Amber was laughing because of what she witnessed. "Hey buddy, how was it?" She yelled from across the lot when Baekhyun was talking towards their direction. Sehun stared. Amber was not acting like a princess at all. She didn’t know if she was doing it on purpose but she found it amusing.

 

"Pretty boring. I am the only female." Magdalene was the last College in Cambridge to accept females; thus, there were still few courses dominated by men.

 

"Why don't you just move to Clare?" Sehun asked. "It would be fun."

 

"I have no choice. Only Magdalene allowed me to have two programs at the same time." She sat beside Amber and read her admission form. She had a long talk with the dean and because of her excellent school records, he gave in.

 

"What do you mean two programs?" Amber was curious. One course was difficult enough and to juggle two in Cambridge was suicide.

 

"I am taking Engineering subjects too." She replied absently. She took Mechanical Engineering subjects aside from her post-graduate modern literature subjects.

 

"Engineering? Isn't that a long shot from lit?" Sehun was munching an apple she took from Amber's bag.

 

"I know, I know. I just want to have a background about cars and stuff." She explained briefly.

 

"So, what you did earlier isn't just for show?" It was Sehun again.

 

"I’ve been karting since I was a kid but recently I tried competing and it was a lot of fun." Baekhyun shared. She didn’t have to tell them the real reason why karting was suddenly her priority.

 

"You sure can handle that?" She turned to Baekhyun again, serious concern visible on her face.

 

"Yeah. I studied lit and Psychology in Bologna simultaneously too." There was no hint of boastfulness in her voice. She was just plainly stating facts.

 

"Wow." Amber and Sehun chorused.

 

"Aren't you a bit obsessed in school? You should be a teacher." Sehun joked.

 

"I will teach. In time. For now, I still have a lot of things to accomplish." After she got even with Choi Luhan, she planned to go to China and pursue her dream of building schools in the poorest of villages in Yunnan and Nankan.

 

"Well, we'll have to leave you so you can have your strategic planning." Sehun laughed. "What time is your next class?" Amber stood up and gathered her things.

 

"I still have an hour. Let's have lunch together at the Riverside, what do you say?" Baekhyun asked the two before they head to their own orientation. She was referring to the fine dining restaurant in the heart of the University Center.

 

"It's a date." Amber agreed for the two of them. "Bye!"

 

*************************************

 

Tao took his coat off and settled in one of the comfortable couches of the private plane's great room. The large plane owned collectively by the Imperial Family of China looked like a luxurious moving mansion. He buzzed for the steward and asked for glass of wine. He desperately needed a drink. He can't take his mind off the last conversation he had with the monster girl.

 

"Can I talk to you for a second?" He followed her when she said she'll catch some fresh air. He found her on one of the verandahs on the east wing of the hospital, staring blankly ahead. As the crown prince, he had to be true to his words. He made a promise to Zian that he'll have a truce with Sehyun before he leaves. She didn't even look at him.

 

"What about?" She asked flatly.

 

"I am leaving tomorrow..." He started, for the first time in his life, he was tongue-tied.

 

"So I've heard. Does it have anything to do with me?" She cut him off and he was too stunned to react. First time in his life, too, he was not given the chance to finish what he was saying.

 

"Why do you dislike me so?" He knew he sounded hurt and he hated it.

 

"Ow? The last time I checked, you don't like me." She looked at him for the first time his heart skipped a bit. Her brown eyes void of any emotion and her face unfriendly.

 

"Okay. I guess I didn't mean that. I don't know you at all." He surrendered. Damn Zian for telling her. Wasn't she his sister?

 

"I dont really care if you like me or not." She retorted. "Don't worry though; I will take care of the princess more than I will take care of my life." He was more surprised by the intensity of her words than her statement itself. She walked away from him not awaiting his reaction.

 

"Wait," He called. "Who are you?"

 

"I hate introductions, Your Highness.” She said without turning.

 

"She knew all along who I am but she dare treat me like that!" The wine glass cracked when he put it down not-so-gently. He talked to the person who sent her and got everything he needed to know. Let’s see who’ll win this game, Choi Sehun. He thought and smiled slyly.

 

**********************************

 

Sehun brought her phone out as soon as they were seated at the back of the hall. It was half-full of people for the orientation. Amber was busy reading the hand-out given to them at the reception. She saw that she had three missed calls. Two of which were from her father and one from Taemin.

 

She excused herself and went behind a column where she can still see Amber and dialed her father's number.

 

"Appa?"

 

Sehunnie. How are you? I called you twice. He asked.

 

"I'm sorry about that. I was driving. Is there a problem?" Suddenly, she felt her stomach churning, what could have happened?

 

I just want to check on you. She could sense the smile in his voice.

 

"Oh." Relief flooded over her. "And how are you?"

 

Well… Siwon told her briefly about the situation at home and they talked for a few minutes.

 

"I am sorry I am not there during times like this. Let me call you back, okay? My orientation’s about to start. I love you!" She ended the call and slumped back to her seat.

 

"Are you alright?" Amber noticed that she was upset.

 

"I’m fine. Thanks." She was worried about her mother and her brothers. She knew Siwon's worried about Hankyung the most. But then she could only do so much. She found Yixing and forwarded the information to her mother. Hankyung asked Yifan to look for Yixing and it didn’t end up well. She was lost in thought when Amber nudged her gently.

 

"I think that would be you." Amber's eyes were wide.

 

"What? What did I do? I am listening, really." Her voice raised a fraction and the people around them who heard what she said started laughing. She was enlightened when the emcee repeated what she might have missed.

 

"Ms. Han holds the record not only for being the youngest student of the graduate school since Sir Alan Mathison Turing but also the highest admission rating for this year. Now, if Ms. Han would grace the stage of her presence please." It was the emcee.

 

"Go!" Amber hissed when she didn't even budge.

 

She didn't know how she got on the stage and the next thing she knew; she was shaking the hand of the College Chancellor.

 

"Congratulations, Ms. Han. We are much honored to have you here in Clare." He handed her the microphone and she almost puked. When she didn't make any effort to unburden him, he leaned over and whispered, "You are supposed to give the opening remarks, Ms. Han."

 

She just babbled about nonsensical stuff to just to get it over and done with. When she heard the deafening applause, she wondered what she said. She went back to her seat beside Amber. She hugged her tightly.

 

"Can't breathe!" She struggled.

 

"Serves you right for not telling me." She snorted.

 

"I was surprised too!" What was there to tell? She underwent the whole process including an exam and interview just to prove to herself that she can pass it even if they do not know she is Han Yi and she did. But the scores were not disclosed until today. The whole two hours dragged and Amber can't wait to tell Baekhyun about her embarrassment.

 

**********************************

 

"How old are you then?" Baekhyun asked after Amber told her the whole story.

 

"A few weeks short of twenty." She sipped her strawberry and banana smoothie and got depressed. The taste was nowhere near Hankyung's and she missed her mother more.

 

"You are a genius. When did you finish your undergrad?" Amber asked.

 

"Err, when I was 14. And can we please drop this subject?" She turned puppy eyes to the two and they both smiled. "Now, with regard to our transportation problem, why don't we take turns in driving? I don't think taking the train would be safe." She knew she successfully navigated the conversation into a safer topic when she saw their eyes lit up.

 

"Yeah! Let's rock paper scissors to see who's going to drive tomorrow." Baekhyun announced happily. Amber lost.

 

"What did I do to deserve this?" She said dramatically and the other two girls rolled their eyes.

 

*********************************

 

"Can’t you give an exception? You can ask me anything you want. New car, a new house, anything. Just please help me." Luhan was on the phone and he was not even ashamed that he was begging the person on the other line. Looking at him, anybody could tell how haggard he was. His face was full of stubbles, there were chronic dark circles around his eyes, and his hair was longer than usual, indicating that he hadn't seen the barber for ages. His business attire was unusually sloppy for someone who used to be so vain.

 

"Mr. Choi, you very well understand I can sue you for bribery!" It was Ronald Hong, an executive of Arma Telecom. He can't help but raise his voice. It was not the first time that Luhan called his office, trying to persuade him that he release the information about the location or the owner of the number that called him several months ago. It was not only very difficult to trace a particular call from the archives, it was extremely prohibited! The policy was clear that they can only give exceptions if it involved national security. And his problem was far from being one. He himself can't break the rule even if his life depended on it. "You can bring this issue anywhere else Mr. Choi. I am very sorry I cannot help you."

 

Luhan winced at the sound of the phone being placed harshly. He staggered while walking to the direction of the loft. He was at a dead end. Last week, he remembered that Xiumin called him to tell him she was pregnant. He thought talking to the phone network would be easier than checking all of the dumpsters around South Korea to look for the broken cell phone but it was not. He would trade everything just to get that piece of information that will lead him to Xiumin's whereabouts. All of the investigators that he hired can't find any Yang Xiumin in whole of South Korea. It may not be her real name but he had not much choice. They stretched the search around neighboring countries too but it was useless to look for a person who didn't want to be found.

 

He was pathetic. He pushed her away only to look for her in the end. Counting the months, she was probably expecting their baby anytime soon. Their? I think 'hers' would be the right term. You don't have any claim on her child! It was a sarcastic voice at the back of his mind.

 

*********************************

 

Yifan sat in the doctors' lounging room. He was very exhausted from a fourteen-hour operation. The little girl had aneurysm and since it was a complicated surgery, the Seoul National University hospital board asked him if he could facilitate it. Even if he officially retired to takeover Choi group, he remained a fellow of the university hospital where he practiced for four years. And he’s still the chairperson of all Choi Hospitals scattered around the globe. He removed his green scrubs and took a shower. He was already in his casual clothing and all traces and smell of blood was already erased from his body but he didn't feel any better. This was the first brain surgery he handled in the last seven years. The last was Zhang Yixuan's. Because of the unsuccessful turn of events, he was afraid to perform such operations anymore. He was not only unable to save Yixuan, it was also the cause of Yixing leaving him the first time.

 

Joonmyeon looked up from eating his pumpkin pie when Hankyung came over the table and dropped a manila envelope in front of him, it created a thud that made him squirm. If Joonmyeon was to say something, he didn't dare. He went back to his pumpkin pie leaving him to their mother's wrath. He could see Hankyung sending daggers to his direction. "What's that, Ma?" He asked.

 

"Why don't you see for yourself?" She countered. It was only the three of them in the dining area. He was not supposed to go to work as he was scheduled to fly to Egypt while Joonmyeon was meeting Onew and Key for the planning of the couple's new house. "Maybe it would help you to get back on track. But I doubt that. Only you can help yourself."

 

He opened the envelope if that was the only thing that could pacify his mother even if he had an idea what's inside. And he was correct. It was a full report about Yixing. A report of the same kind was sitting in his private study. Did they really believe he won't look for her? In the past seven years, there was no important detail about his wife that was able to escape him. He collected every single magazine that featured her, videotaped all of her runway shows and interviews. He was there when Yixing graduated from Estituto Europeo albeit he didn’t show himself to her. He could even tell them how many times Yixing visited her dentist. He placed the documents back in the envelope and stood up. His face void of any emotion. Seeing his wife's smiling photo was too much to bear. "I'll be late for my flight." He leaned over Hankyung and kissed her but she didn't let him.

 

"WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU, CHOI YIFAN? I DIDN'T RAISE YOU TO BE A COWARD!" She yelled and for a second he was worried that her weak heart would not make it. He was too numb to even feel hurt about what she said. She sat on one of the chairs, panting. Joonmyeon handed her a glass of water but she ignored him. "Everything that you need's inside. Why don't you look for her and end your misery?" She continued, tears in her eyes were threatening to fall.

 

It took him a long moment to answer. "Ma, it's not as easy as you thought it would be. Yixing doesn't want me. She loves someone else. If you've already read this," He picked the envelope up and dropped it again. "I assume you already know the truth. And I am very sorry we lied to you."

 

"Why don't you fight for her then?" She asked. "You have all the right to! Yixing is your wife."

 

He shook his head. "Ma, letting her go is the least that I can do for her. She maybe my wife but she doesn't belong to me. God knows all I want is to take care of her, stay by her side but it's not me that she needs, it's not me that she wants. As for my misery, I'll get by." He knelt in front of her and reached for her face and wiped her tears with his hands. "If you can't bear seeing me like this, I can always move. I can join Hunnie in London. To upset you is the last thing that I’d do. I am very sorry. Please forgive me." He can't fight his tears too. He's willing to beg if that's what Hankyung wanted.

 

He ended up delegating the Egypt trip much to the delight of one of his executives just to spend time with his mother. He volunteered to tell her the whole story and she understood.

 

He walked passed the nurses' station and he remembered his sister. When he called Choi Hospital London to give instructions, the head of the Obstetrics department was surprised. Maybe he just assumed that the pregnant female was their friend. He trusted Sehun's ability to judge a character and to protect herself but as an older brother, he can't help but worry.

 

*****************************

 

"Kaye, what's my schedule this afternoon?" Chanyeol went out of the inner office and was currently standing beside her desk, towering over her.

 

"You have to speak to the employee union of Nissan Motors, Sir. That's 2pm and I am not sure how long it would take." She said while checking her tablet. She heard him groan.

 

"Can we move it to another date?" He was supposed to talk to the union because Han Auto invited the laid off employees to join their company. Nissan, because of the global recession, slashed twenty thousand jobs worldwide. His father could not bear to see too many people losing jobs and asked Nissan if they can absorb qualified manpower and they agreed. Since Han Auto would be the most appropriate place to take them, he's supposed to take care of it. But he had a date tonight!

 

"I am afraid not, Sir." Kaye almost rolled her eyes. Same old story and she's getting tired of it.

 

"Okay, business first before pleasure. Confirm with them please." He turned to leave but seemed to forget something. "By the way, can you drop by Tiffany's this afternoon? You may leave after me and you may take the rest of the day off. I'll give you further instructions." He didn't even wait for whatever it was that she had to say.

 

"Kaye, buy me a bracelet, buy me a necklace, call this one, don't tell them I'm here." She murmured while making faces. "I should buy the whole shop today. Yes, that would save a lot of future trips! You are so bright, Kaye." She exclaimed to herself when the phone rang. She picked it up after two rings.

 

"Mr. Choi Chanyeol’s office, may I help you?" She gave her standard greeting.

 

May I please speak with Mr. Choi?

 

"I am very sorry, Ma'am. Mr. Choi is in a meeting. Would you want to leave a message instead?" She asked politely. Ugh. One too many!

 

Kaye, this is Sehun. I know he's there. I just need to talk to him, please.

 

"Ms. Choi! I am very sorry, I didn't know it's you. Let me connect you over."

 

That's alright. I understand. She heard a low chuckle. I just can't get through his direct line and he’s not answering his cell phone. Thank you.

 

"No problem, Ms. Choi. Stay on the line please." She connected the call. "Mr. Choi, it's your sister on line three. She said it's urgent." She could hear him speaking or more like flirting on the phone through the interphone.

 

"Go ahead and put her through." He commanded.

 

Oppa! Drop that other call. I don't want anyone hissing in the background or anyone listening to our conversation.

 

"Fine." She heard him saying goodbye to whoever it was on the other line before he got back to her. "So, to whom I owe this call from the fair princess?" He asked, annoyed.

 

How's home? She forewent the pleasantries.

 

"Everything's fine." He answered too fast that it sounded defensive.

 

C'mon, you know I know it was not. How are they? He knew right away who she’s referring to.

 

"Deteriorating. You can barely talk to them. Joonmyeon-hyung told me Mama and Yifan-hyung had a huge fight the other day. I think I know who the culprit is."

 

Bwoh?! At least I did what I can do! And you? Your brothers are in turmoil and what are you doing? Clandestining! She yelled.

 

"Clandestining is too harsh a word." He replied coolly. "Hunnie, your brothers are big boys. If they need your help, they'll be asking that from you, don't you think?" He imitated the English accent perfectly.

 

What if they are too afraid to ask? She retorted.

 

"That is their problem." He laughed. "Seriously, both of them are struggling to pick themselves up. You are only making it harder by stepping in. Let me ask you this, how much pride do you have, Choi Sehun?"

 

She didn't answer. She almost forgot Chanyeol was their family’s resident Psychologist. She must admit he's correct. He spoke again when she didn't say anything.

 

"Probably bigger than your personal savings, right?" He snorted. "Now, how do you expect them to react? Do you really believe they are not doing anything? For once, let them handle this on their own, will you?"

 

Alright. I guess you're right. But you are looking after them, ayt?

 

"Of course. Xiao Lu-hyung is a little difficult to handle though 'cause he won't say anything. He was practically a zombie. But he'll come around. He's not a Choi for nothing." He said confidently.

 

You’ll keep me posted, correct? She asked, hesitant. And stop flirting and do an actual work! Chanyeol cackled.

 

"I will. I have to go now. You study well and I'll probably visit you one of these days." He said noncommittally and hung up. If he only waited for her reaction, he could hear her throwing a fit. He was getting ready for the meeting when Kaye entered.

 

"Sir, I think you might want to see this." She handed him an envelope and when he read what's inside, he grinned from ear to ear.

 

"Thank you, Kaye. Can you handle the registration?" She nodded and went out of the room.

 

A/N: Thank you for reading and don’t forget to leave a comment!