End of the Line

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: No excuses for not updating sooner but I hope you stuck around to read this. Thank you for your understanding!

 

Minseok had taken a comfortable routine since moving to Seoul. Yixing took the liberty to fix a beautiful office for her on the top floor of the Kim Enterprise tower in Apgujeong. The Vice President for Sales graciously vacated the space to give way to the President and CEO who used to reside in Busan.

 

They found Minkyung a new school and Luhan drops her off every morning before going to work while she picks her up before going home. They reached a truce for the sake of their intelligent daughter who won’t stop asking questions and making efforts to keep them in one place.

 

The little girl asked for ice cream the for getting a perfect mark in her Maths homework the other day and she relented although she just recovered from a cold. After donning her coat and bundling Minkyung up, she found Luhan waiting for them—or Minkyung for that matter—with a tub of the sweet cold treat. Luhan looked surprised but smiled at her pleasantly. He used one of the golf carts to drive them to the private forest, introducing them to the Chanyeol’s pet pigs—Breakfast and Dinner—and showing them the Dojo, Jongin’s laboratory, the off-house wine cellar and the secret tunnel that led to edge of the property.

 

They ate the ice cream under the huge umbrella of sycamore trees beside the lagoon. Minkyung squealed in delight when she saw a doe drinking from the water. The creature ran away unsatisfied when it heard her daughter’s loud voice.

 

“I don’t know why you thought eating ice cream in the middle of autumn was a good idea.” Minseok looked up to the red-orange vegetation to prevent brain freeze. “If you get sick, you won’t be eating ice cream in years!” Luhan laughed and Minkyung giggled with him. They sure weren’t suffering as much as she did, scooping heaps of caramel ice cream in their mouths with gusto.

 

“Battle the cold with cold, Omma!” The little girl was still laughing.

 

“And where did you get that?” She frowned.

 

“I was watching a rerun of Running Man with Aunt Sehun the other day and they went to Jimjilbang to battle the heat of summer. It does work the same way, doesn’t it?” Her innocent eyes were huge.

 

“Yes, baby. When you eat something cold, your body temperature adjusts to keep it warm. Although drinking or eating something hot or spicy makes you sweat, too, so it has a somehow similar effect.” Luhan explained.

 

“Oh, trust both of you to turn everything into a Science experiment!” She whined. She was never a fan of the subject, finding comfort with numbers instead. Business was a numbers game and she was good at it. She let numbers guide her every important decision. The exact figure to determine when to buy or sell stocks, the number of minutes she allowed herself to be late on some of the client meetings to not appear too eager, the exact number of days she’d wait for Luhan to give her fatigued heart a break.

 

Luhan, a dangerous combination of Physicist, Engineer and an Economist, won’t be deterred. “Oh come on, everything you see is Science. Although there are some things it can’t explain, it’s always a safe route to rely on it.” Minkyung, not interested in their banter, got down from her father’s lap to play with some butterflies.

 

They basked in the lull of Minkyung’s happy giggles and chirping of birds, both not having anything to say to the other.

 

“I have something to show you tomorrow. Can you leave work early? We can both pick up Minkyung from school afterwards.” He asked.

 

“S-Sure.” She knew being alone with Luhan wasn’t a good idea but she didn’t want to ruin the calculated peace between them. She should be glad he was asking politely this time instead of forcing her to do his bidding again. “What is it that you’ll show me anyway?”

 

“You’ll see.” He cleared the evidence of their little picnic and called Minkyung. “Hey, Princess, we have to go. Say goodbye to your flying friends!”

 

********************************************

 

The next day, Minseok found herself standing in the middle of her old apartment—or what it used to be. She sold it many months ago to an old couple in an attempt to clear her head of anything related to Luhan. The space was cleared of all the furniture and the hallway that separated the private foyers of both units. It was converted to a two and a half acres of empty space. “I thought you’d like a place of our own. Before we make major changes, I’d like to get your input on where to put things around here. I was thinking of having four larger bedrooms instead of six and have two small offices.”

 

She studied Luhan carefully, trying to gauge if he knew she used to live in the same floor. Not really one to beat around the bush, “You already know this used to be mine, don’t you?”

 

“W-What?” He croaked. “Of course. I already told you what’s mine is yours and—“

 

“No. I sold this apartment to an old couple along with all the things that came with it.” If he was there when they cleared the place, he could have seen the throws, plates, potted plants and all other knick knacks she brought to his apartment when she moved in.

 

“You—what?” His whisper was as loud as if he exploded right in front of her. She watched his face as it drained of color and turn to an ugly shade of green. His lips trembled as he opened his mouth only to close it again without saying anything. He sat on a step ladder lying around and covered his face with his hands. She was glued to her place as it dawned to her that he really didn’t know anything.

 

When he looked up, his eyes were cold and empty and she shivered inwardly. “I’m really tired of this game. I feel like I’ve been running for years and my heart is burning and my head can’t wrap around all this. I know you’re hurt and I’m sorry I really have no idea how much but I can’t just run after you anymore, Xiumin-ah.”

 

Luhan left her without a second glance. Minseok didn’t know she was crying until her loud sobs echoed inside the empty apartment.

 

**********************************************

 

“Did you ask Sandara-ssi to hire me?” They were driving for half an hour when Jongdae decided she can’t stand the silence anymore.

 

“Will it stop you from accepting the job if I did? I thought you’re a professional.” He retorted.

 

“I appreciate that you don’t think I can get clients with my ability that you have to graciously refer me to your friends.” She spat. “I know my net worth is nowhere near what you spend for your everyday coffee but I am not poor, okay? You don’t have to go behind my back and hook with me up with everyone you know so I won’t starve!” She was seething and her fists were almost white from clenching too hard.

 

He sighed in defeat. “I didn’t.”

 

“What?” She glared at him.

 

“You should be more confident with what you can do. I’m sure you do not know that you’re making a name for yourself just through word of mouth.” He explained dejectedly, totally unhappy with his effortless ability to make Jongdae upset. “She told me about this photographer she’d like to commission to take pictures of Jinri. You worked with Gu Hyesun before, didn’t you?” She frowned but nodded. “Well, she’s her sister-in-law. She saw the photos she used for the poster of her last film. I honestly didn’t know it was you she was talking about.”

 

Gu Hyesun was a famous Indie film director and after their initial work was done, she offered her a spot in her small production company to handle all photography concerns but she politely declined the offer. She didn’t think she’ll fit in with the film industry. She didn’t want to sacrifice her freedom to work on jobs she liked and not accept projects she didn’t.

 

She bit her lip. “Sorry.” She muttered. “I was harsh.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m really glad it was you. Although I know you didn’t want anything to do with me, you’re the only person who can make look good in photos.” She saw a facsimile of a smile when she gave him a sideways glance.

 

“Are you mocking me?” She rolled her eyes. “Nobody recognized you in those photos except your sister.” He laughed and she thought she missed the sound of it.

 

“But that’s what I like about them.” She noticed that they were pulling up in a stopover complex. “I don’t know about you but I’m starving. Let’s a grab a bite, shall we?” She reluctantly unbuckled her belt when she realized she was also hungry and that she needed to use the restroom.

 

“You go do your business while I get us something to eat.” He said after getting a table. “What would you like?” It sounded like they weren’t just fighting a moment ago.

 

“J-Just anything will do.” She removed her coat, not having the need to wear it inside the heated complex. She left it on a chair in haste before hightailing to the bathroom.

 

Joonmyeon went back to their table with two steaming bowls of galbitang when he saw a familiar item lying on the floor.

 

*******************************************

 

When the house help told her she had a guest, she was least expecting to see Amber—without her whole delegation, too. The girl had been so busy with her wedding plans that she can’t even remember the last time they talked. She knew she was not doing a very good job as a best friend to both Amber and Baekhyun because her participation ended in pulling all the strings she can so they can have the best designers and wedding planners money could buy.

 

Aside from regular meetings with her Obstetrician—who Himchan and Yongguk had to threaten with lawsuits if the news to her pregnancy came out prematurely—she holed herself inside her room with the pretense of writing. She had been writing alright. She was blogging the early stages of her pregnancy and the struggles that came along with it, finding comfort with occasional morning sickness, knowing that she would never be alone.

 

“Hi. Do you still remember me?” Amber’s tone was unhappy. She sighed inwardly, descending the last few steps of the grand staircase.

 

“Hey, what brought you here?” She struggled to keep voice in check.

 

What brought me here?” Amber parroted. “Are you serious, Choi Sehun?” Her voice was two or three octaves higher and the help who brought them tea almost dropped the tray she was holding in fright. She turned to the poor girl to tell her that she can bring the tea to the study. Amber rolled her eyes but followed her nonetheless.

 

“I thought you’re busy with the wedding preparations. Sorry, I didn’t want the inspiration to leave so—“

 

“You ditched my brother, doesn’t answer his calls and pretend that everything is okay.” Amber scoffed. “Wow. It’s not as if you can’t write in China! You know you always had my vote because it never crossed my mind that you’ll be this cruel!”

 

She opened to say something but she gagged. She sped to the adjoining bathroom, puking her guts out in the water closet. When she looked up, Amber was gaping at her from the doorway—taking in her appearance for the first time since she arrived. Sehun looked pale. Her skin had taken a pallid gray tone. Her clavicles were more pronounced and so was her cheekbones and her jaw. The weight loss was not too significant but it was still there.

 

“Are—are you okay? Sehun what’s happening?” She had forgotten what she was mad about, concern for her friend winning over. She crouched down beside her and rubbed her back comfortingly. Sehun didn’t look like she wanted to get up any moment; her cheek was against the cold porcelain. “Come on, let’s wash your mouth so you can lie down.” She picked her up from the floor and after gurgling with mouthwash and washing her face, she lied weakly against one of the comfortable couches scattered around the huge Choi family library. “Let me get some help, okay?” She was about to get up when she felt a firm grip on her arm.

 

“Please don’t.” Sehun’s voice was small and almost unrecognizable.

 

“Sehun.” Her friend sat up and she occupied the seat beside her, determined to get answers from her. “You’re not well. You should not keep this a secret.” She knew a bit about Sehun’s medical history—the surgeries and multiple procedures she had to go through so she can live like a normal person again. When she looked at her again, her eyes were glassy with tears.

 

“I—I’m n-not sick.” She took hold of both her hands and brought them to her chest. “Amber, Amber please promise me that you’re not going to tell anyone. Not even your brother.”

 

“You’re not..? A-Are you..? Oh. My. God.” She gasped. She could bet her crown she was paler than Sehun could ever be. Sehun bit her lip as she tried to control her sobs. She clenched her fists when she remembered her request. “And you don’t want my brother to know, why?”

 

“Amber we’re done with this. I don’t want to argue with you. Not today. I’m tired, I feel really sick, and I’m pregnant!” She hissed.

 

‘You’re what?” It was Sehun’s turn to gasp as she turned to person at the door.