Verisimilitude

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: A little background story about Joonmyeon. Hope you enjoy it!

 

Joonmyeon was studying for his DBA when he met Kim Taeyeon. Taeyeon was five years his senior and was waiting tables in one of diners he frequented in Cambridge. With a ready smile for everyone, Joonmyeon didn’t find it hard to strike a conversation with her more so when he learned she was also from Korea. When Dara returned to Seoul, Taeyeon was a refreshing change from snotty classmates from business school. She lingered a bit whenever she delivered his morning coffee or his plate of omelette to talk to him for a bit but he didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

 

His apartment was a few minutes off campus by foot and the short walk was always a reprieve from piled up school work so his car was almost always sitting in the driveway. While walking home one evening, he saw Taeyeon being harassed by a burly Caucasian. She wasn’t even crying for help but Joonmyeon noticed—even in the dark—that her lip was split and her eye was fast becoming purple.

 

“P-Please. . .just let me go. I really don’t have anything to give you right now.” He slapped her again and Joonmyeon wasn’t the type to just sit around and watch while someone bully the weak. The unknown man was about to hit her again when a swift kick to his shin stopped him.

 

“What the ! What do you think you’re doing?” He sized Joonmyeon up and was pleased with the difference in height and in built. “In my mood right now I can probably kill you so mind your own business!”

 

“Joonmyeon! No! It’s okay! I can handle this, just leave. Please.”

 

“Oh. I know now. Are you the reason why she’s avoiding me?” The smirk was smug and was borderline psychotic. Joonmyeon didn’t say anything but didn’t leave like she requested. The man surged forward and in the blink of an eye, he was lying on the road with a bloody nose.

 

“I don’t know who you are but if you bother Taeyeon again, you’ll be stuck in a wheel chair forever.” The man didn’t even listen and stood up, about to stab Joonmyeon with a Swiss knife when Taeyeon covered him with her own body. Seeing that Taeyeon was bleeding profusely, the man ran away.

 

Joonmyeon stayed with her in the hospital until she was well. He learned that Taeyeon was the other half of an abusive relationship for around five years until she found the courage to run way and move to the next town with her three year-old daughter. Though he didn’t get back with her when he found her, he was always asking for money, threatening to take his daughter away if she refused.

 

Though he didn’t tell her, he pulled some strings to permanently put her ex-boyfriend in jail. His involvement with a local drug ring and few more squabbles in the past made it rather easy.  Days turned to weeks and Taeyeon would sometimes join his table in the diner during her break. Their friendship took a different turn when she invited him over for dinner one weekend. She said she had to save to be able to cook him a decent meal since her work didn’t really pay a lot. She said it was all she can do to thank him for helping her.

 

“Technically, you saved my life. You don’t have to do this.” Her doenjang jjigae and bulgogi were to die for and to be able to eat home-cooked Korean food really made him happy. “But I really appreciate it.”

 

“I heard Corey’s gone and I learned he was in jail. A social worker went to see me the other day and told me she can help me with Haley’s permanent custody. Even if you didn’t tell me, I know you helped me more than you let me know. So, thank you.”

 

With her daughter away from a sleepover with Taeyeon’s friend and a few glasses of wine he brought himself, the inevitable happened that particular night. And it was followed by a few more until he realized he wanted to make it more permanent.

 

They were a few months into the relationship when he got a visit from his father.

 

“Appa! You didn’t tell me you’re in town. Did you come alone? Where’s Mama?” He hugged his father and ushered him in. He was so excited to see him that he didn’t notice his rather dim expression.

 

“I came alone because I want to talk to you.” Siwon said when he settled with a cup of coffee Joonmyeon fixed himself. His brows furrowed in confusion. What was it that he wanted to talk to him about that his mother couldn’t hear or who couldn’t wait until he came home for Yifan’s upcoming birthday?

 

“What about, Appa?” He sat facing him but Siwon’s attention was on the framed photo he placed on top of the mantle. It was his picture of him with Taeyeon and Haley when they celebrated the latter’s fourth birthday.

 

“I want you to stay away from that Kim Taeyeon.” Siwon’s tone was full of disgust. To say that he was completely taken aback was an understatement. Joonmyeon felt his blood rushing to his ears. To think that he can’t wait to get home for his brother’s birthday so he can share his happiness with his family. He wasn’t the type to keep his relationship from his family and he certainly didn’t have any intention to keep Taeyeon a secret. But to know that his father was snooping around his affairs like he was five year-old imbecile was disappointing. He expected much more than that from him. 

 

“Is it because she’s poor?” Surely, it wasn’t because she had a daughter, right? Because it will only make the request more absurd. It didn’t stop his father from pursuing his mother even if she had two sons from her previous relationship.

 

“Damnit if I care about that! You don’t even know that woman!”

 

“And you do? Through your private investigator? It’s funny how you think you’ll know everything about a person through her public records and a few candid photos.”

 

“Did she tell you she worked for our company before?”

 

“And so were a few other million people, Appa.” He didn’t even know where this pointless conversation was going. She asked him about his family before and he told her a bit about them but that was about it. Taeyeon wasn’t someone to pry anyway. He still can’t believe his own father will stoop this low about someone he didn’t even know.

 

“I’ll only say this once, Choi Joonmyeon, so listen carefully,” Siwon’s face was red in controlled anger. “If you don’t stop seeing that woman, I’ll disinherit you.”

 

Joonmyeon laughed out loud. If only there was anything funny about the entire situation. “You didn’t honestly think I’m afraid to lose your money, right? Can you be any more cliché than this?” Siwon just left without a word after that.

 

He didn’t know if it was mere defiance or he really loved Taeyeon that much that he was willing to give up his family for her. His conversation with his father made him all the more resolved to prove him wrong. He arranged for three of them to return to Seoul after he finished his doctorate degree. Taeyeon was reluctant at first when he told her about his plan. He was aware that she didn’t have any family left in Korea but a ring on her finger made all the difference.

 

When they arrived, he moved out of the pad his parents bought for him. Using his own savings, he got them an apartment just outside of Seoul. He made arrangements for the wedding while looking for a job. He was determined not to rely to his father’s money and influence to support his future family.

 

A day before the big day, he asked his mother if she can see him. He wanted to personally invite her to his wedding. He’d like his whole family to be there but he didn’t want his siblings to defy his father because of him. And he knew Siwon won’t come anyway.

 

Before meeting Hankyung, he dropped by the bank to take care of Taeyeon’s wedding gift. He wanted to open a trust fund for Haley. He smiled to himself when he remembered the little girl. She was a certified sweetheart and she already started calling him Daddy. The bank manager recognized him at once and congratulated him for his upcoming wedding. He accepted it graciously although he was confused as to how it got to his knowledge. He didn’t tell anybody else aside from Dara who agreed to be a witness.

 

“Thank you. How did you know about it?”

 

“Oh. Your fiancée came in yesterday to cash your father’s wedding gift.” He replied eagerly. “Ms. Kim is very beautiful. You are very lucky, Mr. Choi.”

 

“My father’s wedding gift?”

 

“Oh no! Was it a surprise?” He smiled sheepishly.

 

He swallowed thickly. “How much is it?” His gut started to clench with dread. Siwon was ultimately opposed to this wedding. There was no way he’ll give Taeyeon a gift.

 

“Five hundred million won, Sir.” He remembered asking her what she did yesterday and she told him she slept in. She neither told him she went to the bank nor about Siwon’s gift.

 

“Did she cash all of it?”

 

“We gave her fifty million yesterday. Since it was a rather large amount, we had to confirm with Mr. Choi to complete the transfer but the rest are in transit and it will—“

 

“Please hold the transit.”

 

The manager looked confused but a Choi was not someone you say no to. “Of course.”

 

His way of driving was enough to kill him. It was a surprise nobody stopped him because he was sure he violated all speed limits and ran countless red lights. He reached the apartment in record time. He didn’t find Taeyeon anywhere but he heard conversation coming from the verandah.

 

“You promised to leave.” He won’t mistake his father’s voice from anyone.

 

“What made you think I’ll leave for mere five hundred million?” He can picture a smirk on Taeyeon’s face. His stomach dropped. “It’s your entire fault, you know? I wanted you. I was willing to be your other woman. I am younger than your wife, ier and more—“

 

“Don’t even compare yourself to my wife!” Joonmyeon was afraid his father’s heart will not be able to take it. “And even if I’m not married, I won’t associate myself to a like you.”

 

“But it can’t be helped, could it? Tomorrow, I’ll be your daughter-in-law.”

 

“Like hell you would!”

 

“It’s a blessing in disguise. If you didn’t refuse me, I won’t even meet him.” She continued like he didn’t say anything. “He’s younger and he’ll do everything for me. He’ll even jump off this building if I ask him to, Appa.” She taunted. Siwon banged the door so loud it was a surprise it didn’t come off its hinges.

 

He was startled to see him standing in the middle of the living room but didn’t say anything. But Taeyeon’s reaction was priceless. She gasped loudly, her face instantaneously drained of color.

 

“Joonmyeon-ah, your father he—“

 

“Save it.” He said as calmly as possible. “I heard everything. I expect you and your crap out of my house when I come back.” He turned to leave when he remembered something. “Also, consider the fifty million as payment for a few nice tumble in bed.”

 

“It’s five hundred million not fifty!” She yelled loudly, almost in hysterics. But Joonmyeon was already out of the door.

 

Siwon was waiting beside his car when he came out. “Mama’s cooking hot pot tonight. Race me home?” He nodded absently, trying hard not to cry in front of his father. His father was already pulling out of the parking space when he rolled his window down. “Someone right for you is bound to come along, son. Just wish upon a star.” His dimples showed when he smiled.

 

He knew his father didn’t believe in those things but he always remembered what he said. After what happened with Taeyeon, he went to Nepal and trained under Master Gethin. He channeled all his anger through martial arts and when he went back to Seoul, there’s no more trace of the happy-go-lucky Choi Joonmyeon.

He poured every inch of his energy and time to Choi Builders, the largest of their conglomerate.  He stopped smiling. He stopped trusting people besides his family.  He was dubbed as the Ice King of the Choi family. Their employees were always cautious around him since he’s known for firing incompetent people on the spot.  

 

When Siwon gave him the reign for Choi Builders, he almost refused. He thought Yifan was the rightful person to do the job. But his brother was already helping their father run the whole company. Even if Siwon was not bound to retire in the next decade or so, running such global operation was not easy.

 

He wondered sometimes if it was better if he was born in a different family. Will it be better if he had a normal desk job? How simple his life would be if he went to work at eight and left at five? Would it be fun if he had friends who will call him for a couple of beers to tell him about their new y neighbor or their new pet? How comforting would it be if millions of people and their families didn’t rely on his decisions everyday?

 

Because even though they have everything money could buy, happiness was far from their reach. And with this heartbreak for the second time around, he wondered if there really was someone for him? Someone bound to erase all the pain. Someone who will love him for who he really was and not for who his parents were.

 

He certainly hoped such a star exist to grant his wish.

 

*****************************************

 

"Henry Lau as in Lockheed Martin?! Oh. My. God, Amber! You are going to be the richest girl in the planet!" She squealed in delight as she chomped on her strawberry short cake.

 

"How did you know--oh." Of course Sehun would know.

 

"Should I really answer that?" She gave her a look.

 

"Aren't you the richest girl in the planet?"

 

"Hardly." She stuck her tongue out. "The guy's a billionaire at the age of twenty-five! Amazing."

 

"You are such a traitor! You are supposed to be consoling me 'cause my family wants to marry me off to an enemy!"

 

"But I showed up, didn't I?" She was still mad but the next message she received from her was: IF YOU'RE NOT HERE TOMORROW, I'LL SURELY BE DEAD. WEAR PINK TO MY FUNERAL.

 

"Because I bribed you with strawberry short cake!"

 

"What's this matter of life and death?" Sehun was surprised to see Baekhyun being ushered to Amber's palace.

 

"What is she doing here?" She demanded. She glared at Baekhyun who looked sullen in an instant.

 

"You see, that's another thing. Shall we end all these, please?" Amber can't believe Minkyung's actually Sehun's niece when Baekhyun told her. But then, life's full of surprises. Baekhyun sat beside Sehun.

 

"Sorry. . . I. . .I just felt it wasn't something for me to say. Unnie didn't even tell me until I asked."

 

"And here I am thinking me being the Princess of China had you fainted the night that we told you." Amber scoffed. Sehun was still silent.

 

"Oh, c'mon! Don't be such a grump!" Sehun wasn't able to dodge the throw Amber chucked at her.

 

"Yah!" She picked the throw and whacked Baekhyun in the head.

 

"Aw!"

 

"Don't you dare keep something like that from me again!" Amber shrieked in delight and before long, they were laughing hard.

 

"How are they? Xiao Lu Ge and Minkyung?" Amber asked.

 

"Don't talk about him while I can hear!" Sehun growled.

 

"They seem to be getting along well. I wonder how he’s going to tell Minkyung and Appa though." Of course they ignored her. "They ride the horse together everyday and eat just as much." Baekhyun smiled at the thought. "I wonder where she got that gluttonous appetite." She was giving Sehun side glances.

 

"I am still here, you know?" She said dryly.

 

"Oh, yeah. What did you call us here for?" Amber's face scrunched up in an instant by Baekhyun's question.

 

"She's getting married." Sehun declared.

 

"You’re what?!" The Imperial maid came entering the palace, panting upon hearing Baekhyun.

 

"Everything is under control." Amber rolled her eyes even before she can speak. Apologizing, the maid excused herself daintily.

 

"Stop shrieking. People here might have a heart attack."

 

"But you are getting married! Is that true? To whom? Did Andrea finally reconcile with the idea of marrying a Princess instead?

 

"This guy's many times richer than Andrea."

 

"No kidding! Tell me, tell me!"

 

"She won't tell us so we have to meet this guy so we can see for ourselves."

 

***********************************************************************

 

"Kyungsoo! Come out now! The guests are here." Nancy knocked on the door of her office and moments later, she heard her steps fading away. She's really nervous about the whole thing. She didn't know what to expect about the Winter Angel Cafe's grand opening. She stood in front of a life-sized mirror and scrutinized her own appearance.

 

She opted to wear a champagne-colored cowl neck dress that she brought from Switzerland and let her hair fall in subtle curls around her swan-like neck. The gold strappy sandals added three inches onto her height. She opened her purse and took out the bottle of perfume that Jongin gave her and sprayed on her pulse points. She took a whiff of the exquisite smell and became more depressed. There's no hope for her and Jongin. That's what she kept telling herself but she can't accept it.

 

"Come now, the priest is here." It was Myungsoo this time and he didn't leave her until she came with. After the ribbon-cutting ceremony, she was asked to give a message.

 

"Thank you so much for coming here today. Thank you for being supportive of Winter Angel Cafe. I've only become a business person recently, so I don't know if I have a complete business philosophy but I do have a philosophy as a chef that is inseparable from my life philosophy. I remember the moment I decided to become a chef. I was having dinner, for the first time, with my newfound family, it was a very simple meal and Aunt Nancy cooked it. But I knew that the love in the food she prepared for me and my cousin was incredible that I don't think I would be able to forget the taste and the feel of the food ever. I wanted to cook for the people I love and it becoming a business is a bonus and I hope that whenever you dine here, you will feel as comforted as I am while cooking for you. And these desserts and snack aren't only to satisfy your sweet tooth. We have medicinal ingredients that go with each of the cakes and our people will be glad to help you out to choose the best for you. I believe that food are made to nourish the body and the soul so we make it a point that our products won't be just a guilty pleasure for you. I hope that you'll emerge from the cafe smiling and full." A round of applause followed that and a number of people who wanted to congratulate her flocked around her.

 

***************************************

 

Jongin stood in a corner, watching her give her speech and charm the crowd. She's the same girl but different altogether. Their reunion would have to wait until later as the crowd can't seem to get enough of her and was hovering around her. He fidgeted with the large bouquet of flowers. He was really nervous.

 

Their people were watching Kyungsoo since she set foot in South Korea weeks ago. He wanted to see her right there and then but they were in China for the Emperor's funeral and then when he arrived, Corinne talked him out of it. Kyungsoo was busy and his secretary thought the opening of her cafe would be the best chance to talk to her. And it won't generate unnecessary gossip if he appeared. Building owners were usually invited to grace these kinds of events anyway.

 

Then suddenly, she was alone. He took a deep breath and made a half-step forward to where she was standing, observing the jam-packed place with a faint smile on her face.

 

"Kyungsoo!" A voice hollered from the side entrance. "Sorry, I'm late." The guy wasn't just carrying an identical bouquet of flowers, he hugged his Kyungsoo, too! He was stuck to where he was standing, hearing distance from where the two were gathered. He was fuming. And when he recognized who it was, he wanted to scream blue murder.

 

"I thought you're not going to be here." She pouted.

 

"How can I do that? But Mom was such a burden! She made me change clothes three times!" He whined. "Congratulations!" And he saw him lean over and kiss her lightly on the side of her lips. Kyungsoo looked startled for a bit but smiled widely.

 

"Thank you, Hyunsik. And I think Auntie did a great job. You look good." He heard her in a cheery tone he missed so much.

 

Jongin walked out of the place wordlessly and threw the flowers in the nearby trash can.

 

**************************************