It Wasn't Me

A Blessing or A Curse

 

 

A/N: Did you read the Bonus Chapter I posted days ago? It won’t change the story but you can go back and read it. If you want. Uh, have you seen the Path Codes? Cool, no?

 

Kyungsoo felt the phone in her back pocket vibrating. She wiped her hands with her apron and took it out. "Hello?"

 

Are you done packing? Asked by the person on the other line.

 

"Yup! I am still here in the kitchen though. Finishing the last cake of my stay." She laughed.

 

Oh no! You're still working? Seriously, when are you going to stop?

 

Kyungsoo laughed at his reaction. "What? It's my last day so I can't let them down!" She sniggered. She's alone inside Cafe Toblerone's kitchen. A dessert and coffee shop affiliate of no less than the chocolate geniuses of Kraft Foods Switzerland. After being an apprentice from DCT European Culinary Arts Center in Lucerne, she was lucky to be absorbed by the world-famous specialty cafe. Gliding through each and every chocolate recipe and inventing her own, she already moved up the promotion ladder in an outstanding rate. As a demi-chef of the pastry kitchen, she already had the right amount of experience and money she needed to start her own business in Seoul. Big thanks to Aunt Nancy, Myungsoo and Sungjong who supported her all the way.

 

That's why they all love you. And before Kyungsoo can react, the metal double doors of the kitchen burst open and revealed her co-workers and the person she was talking to on the phone.

 

"Hyunsik!"

 

Her Executive chef Al Cavegn was carrying a Toblerone mud cake—her own creation—with small candles on top. Her eyes started to water. They were singing a Swiss folk song to cheer someone on or to wish them good luck. One of her Commis, guided her inside the cafe. It was closed off to public and had balloons everywhere. On one of the walls of the pentahedron-shaped café—inspired by the shape of Toblerone chocolate no less—was a large banner that said Best of Luck, Chef Soo! Hyunsik handed her a bouquet of pink tulips.

 

"Danke, danke!" She broke into tears. She blew the candles on her cake and hugged everyone. She will surely miss the cafe that gave her the chance that she needed. She glanced at Hyunsik and she was sure she masterminded the scheme. He smiled sheepishly at her.

 

Kyungsoo was walking alone one foggy afternoon near the Kapellbrücke in downtown Lucerne. It was a medieval covered bridge across the Reuss River. With a little less than seven hundred years of history to boot, the place was a sure fire winner of European bus tours. With a lot of time to spare, she went through each of the hundred and twenty framed paintings that told the story of the city. She was contemplating on riding the next bus to her dormitory when a person approached her. The last person that she thought she would see in Switzerland.

 

"It's really you!" It was Lim Hyunsik. He was a lot different from the Hyunsik that she knew but he was still Hyunsik. Gone were the gothic-type clothing and unruly hair. The person in front of her now looked like a prep student from an Ivy League school. Even his demeanor changed. The last time that she saw him was the day Jongin beat the hell out him at the university parking lot. The next few days, the school can't help but gossip about Hyunsik dropping out of school. She can't help but be nervous. She clutched her haversack tightly in front of her chest and walked away from him.

 

"Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo, wait!" He caught her arm.

 

"Take your hands off me!" She yelled and they caught the attention of some passers by.

 

"S-Sorry--" He bowed as he let go of her hand. "I am so sorry Kyungsoo. That's the only reason why I approached you. I never had a chance to say sorry to you and. . ." He swallowed. "Y-Your boyfriend." He added awkwardly.

 

She felt ashamed that she treated him that way. "I am s-sorry too. I overreacted."

 

She learned that Hyunsik was sent by his family to Switzerland to continue his college education.

 

"After the--what happened," He was looking at his chocolate pudding, visibly embarrassed by the recollection. Kyungsoo didn't know what came to her mind but she invited him for coffee that same afternoon. It must be the homesickness that she felt. It had been three months since she arrived in Switzerland but she still missed Seoul. And meeting someone from home's really welcomed. "I felt that I really crossed the line. My mom was hospitalized and my dad almost disowned me. I asked for a second chance and they dumped me here." He let out an empty laugh.

 

"Let us forget about it. Friends?" She extended a hand.

 

"Huh?!" He looked like he didn't believe her.

 

They became inseparable since then. Kyungsoo discovered that behind the gangster attitude and arrogant demeanor was the inert shyness that Hyunsik was. He's just a little boy trying to mask his own weaknesses by bullying the weak. And being alone in a foreign country without his father's clout to back him up, he changed for the better. He even became a scholar of University of Lucerne.

 

And Kyungsoo knew she made the right decision of letting Hyunsik into her life again. He never mentioned anything about dating even if she told him long ago that she and Jongin had broken up. And she wanted to thank him for that.

 

"Be sure to visit us when you have time, Kyungsoo." Al said.

 

"I will, Chef. Thank you very much for everything that you taught me." She smiled in gratitude.

 

"You're one good student Kyungsoo and you will surely come a long way. Let me dine for free in your restaurant, alright?" He joked.

 

"I promise!" She held her right hand up.

 

********************************************

 

"Yes?" Minseok looked up from reading an important document.

 

"Mr. Choi's here to see you." The wild thumping of her chest by the mention of the name amazed her. She berated herself as she knew it would just be Chanyeol.

 

"Send him in." So the punk's in Busan, eh? Chanyeol wouldn't fail to pay her a visit, too, whenever he's around. Seconds later, her secretary ushered him—them in. Her eyes widened in disbelief.

 

"Noona." Chanyeol hugged her briefly and kissed both of her cheeks. "It's good to see you again."

 

"Good to see you, too." She eyed the man he was with. She saw him a lot of times before in Harvard but never really had a chance to be introduced to him. She was sure this was the one who helped them in London. The eldest among the Choi siblings.

 

"And oh, Hyung, this is Baekhyun’s sister, Minseok-noona. Noona, this is Yifan-hyung." He introduced.

 

Minseok bowed slightly. "I wasn't given the chance to thank you properly. Thank you for helping us in London years ago."

 

"Oh. It was you." He looked surprised. "Yeah, I remember now. And you don't have to mention it. How's your baby?"

 

"She's quite a handful." Chanyeol answered for her. He gave out a low chuckle.

 

"Forgive me. Please sit down, can I get you anything?" She knew they flew straight from Seoul. But the reason why they're in her office instead of Baekhyun's, she didn't know.

 

"Thank you, Noona. We're fine."

 

"Oh, alright. What can I help you with?" She asked. Her palms are starting to become sweaty.

 

"I am here to talk to my wif--ex wife, Yixing. I believe she works for Kim Corp?" Yifan looked at her directly.

 

Minseok was not able to respond immediately as she was literally gaping at him. "Yixing? As in Zhang Yixing? Jesus." She placed a hand in her head; it felt like it would burst open any moment.

 

Yifan was eyeing her weirdly. What the hell is her problem? "Is she here now?" According to the report that Sehun received, Yixing often worked out of the country. The reason why in the past year or so, Chanyeol didn't even have a glimpse of her in Busan. How's that for a treat? Apparently, she just waited for Martin's papers to be fixed, sold all of her property and moved to Shanghai when she got accepted to Kim Corporation’s Chinese arm. It took sometime for the CIA to follow Martin's trail from Rio de Janeiro to Florence to Milan to Shanghai with him having a different last name and different guardians.

 

"Y-Yeah. I-I think she's in her office. Let me take you there." She said absently. It's a tiny world indeed! But Yixing had a son, right? But no matter how she thought about Martin, he didn't look like Yifan. Or Yixing for that matter.

 

*****************************************

 

"What is it?" She asked without looking up from her special drafting table. She's finishing the sketches for the new pocket garden that she's designing. Aside from being an interior designer, she's also fascinated with landscapes. She heard the door open but her secretary didn't say anything. She might be too scared to disturb her while she's busy working.

 

"Err. . .Ms. Zhang. . ." The secretary can't even concentrate. It was not everyday that she gets to see the President and CEO of Kim Corp, the alluring Kim Minseok. And if her presence wasn't enough, she's with two gorgeous hunks.

 

"Yixing?" She heard Minseok's voice. She looked up, hoping she just overheard it. Only to wish she didn't look up at all. She swallowed once. Twice. Her gaze went over Minseok's shoulder and caught a glimpse of Chanyeol. He smiled slightly. And then to the one beside him, with his trademark face, you won't be able to guess what's on his mind. Yifan.

 

"You may go." Minseok ordered and the secretary obeyed at once.

 

"Noona." Chanyeol was the first to recover. "You look good."

 

"T-Thank you. What--"

 

"Minseok-noona, Baekhyunnie wants to join us for lunch. Let us go pick her up. What do you think?" He turned to Minseok.

 

"That's a good idea." She even dragged Chanyeol outside but not before giving her a meaningful look. "See you later, guys!"

 

"What are you doing here?" Her tone flat. There's no indication of the loud thumping of her chest. How could he be so calm when she's about to explode any moment?

 

"It's good to see you too, Yixing." He ambled his way to one of the visitors' chairs in front of her mahogany desk. He even raised his long legs and placed it on the chair in front of him. He closed his eyes and sighed.

 

Yixing cleared loudly. "If you'll just sleep here, Dr. Choi, I don't think my office is the right place." Yifan handed her an envelope which she didn't notice he was carrying until now. "What's this?"

 

He shrugged. "I thought you ought to know before we assert our rights."

 

She raised an eyebrow. "Assert your rights?" She stared at him for a moment, not comprehending any of his words. She read the piece of paper in the envelope and her eyes widened in horror. "N-no. . .ni. . .y-you can't possib--no! He's legally my son! You can't just get him from me!" She was hysterical.

 

"Who gave you the right, Yixing? Didn't you know that the nun from Santa Felicita illegally brought Martin to Italy? If he's an illegal alien then all his papers are illegal too, right? You can hire any lawyer in town but nobody would win this case." He replied smugly.

 

Yixing read the paper over again. It was a written will of Martin Bertinelli's father, Scott Bertinelli, that he's giving full custody of his children, Olivia and Martin to the Choi family. It was supported by documents that the children's mother was not fit to take care of them and that he had no other relatives.

 

"As you can see, that will was signed by their father, with his own blood." Before Scott died, though he struggled so much, he managed to write the will. It was evident through the handwriting. Before he breathed his last, he forcefully removed his IV and used the blood that oozed from his arm to put his thumb mark on it. They immediately had the paper notarized to make it legal and binding. But even without it, with their influence and money, they can get Martin's custody without much effort. And he never dreamt of having a legal battle with Yixing. "I will pick him up in a week. I think that's enough time for you to tell him he's going to be a Choi soon."

 

"How. . .how did this happen?" Her knees wobbled in fear when she stood up.

 

"Martin's father worked for us after he retired from the CIA. He was already looking for his children at that time. The mentally-ill mother took them somewhere and he really had a hard time looking for them. When he finally found them and was about to reunite with them, he died. . ." He sighed heavily. "He took a bullet for Hunnie. Before he died in the hospital, he was able to write that will. Scott had been very loyal to us and he's like an older brother to all of us. We just wanted to follow his will to the letter."

 

"But--" She made several deep breaths to calm herself. "But he's being taken cared of. I sent him to school, I love Martin! You'll just hurt him if you're going to get him from me!" She banged her table and she wanted to hit him when he didn't even wince.

 

"Why don't you ask Martin first if he wants to stay with you?" He knew that if Sehun will be there then there wouldn't be any problem. "Or. . ." He trailed off.

 

"Or what?"

 

***********************************************************************

 

"Isn't that. . .blackmail, Hyung?" Chanyeol asked. They were on their way back to Seoul.

 

"It's the only way. Be sure to call Hunnie. And have our people watch Yixing and Martin."

 

"Are you afraid that she'll take him away?" He asked.

 

No, I am scared that she'll run away from me again. "No, where else in the world can she hide from us?" He snorted. "I'm just worried about Martin’s safety."

 

Chanyeol was clearly unconvinced but didn't say a word. "What are you planning to do?"

 

"First things first. I want to tell Mama and Appa. It's about time they know." He's sure Siwon already knew. Sehun can't keep it away from him. But Hankyung would be another story. Not long ago, Yixing had been a taboo topic in their household. But with what he's planning to do, it's not possible to keep it away from his mother.

 

"You want me to talk to her?"

 

"I think I can handle it."

 

***********************************************************************

 

"Thank you so much for supporting Under Your Nose." She bowed while the audience gave her a standing ovation. Robert Pattinson approached her and handed her a humongous bouquet of different exotic flowers, it almost covered half of her body. He hugged her and all the other stars appeared from the backstage. Teatro Heredia in Cartagena's famous Plazuela de la Merced was full of five hundred or so carefully chosen guests.

 

It comprised the most powerful and the most famous among the Latin American region including Fidel Castro and his family. Sehun knew this will create a rucus in the democratic world but she's firm on her mission to be an ambassador of world peace. Which Amber found cliché by the way. It just so happened that one of his granddaughters loved her work and the president of one of Han Yi's fan clubs. And then there's Rigoberta Menchu, the Guatemalian indigenous' rights advocate and a Nobel Peace Prize winner. Unlike all the other performances, the finale was an invitational one. It surprised her that even her favorite author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the pride of Colombia himself, attended. His agent didn't actually give her a definite answer when they sent the invitation. Even if both of them were under the same label, Penguin, she wasn't given the chance to meet him in person, until tonight.

 

"And I want to take this opportunity to thank the whole cast and crew who worked really hard to give everyone a good show. A lot of them left their families and toured the world to give life to our characters. Especially Director Van Sant who took over the job that I should be doing. When I was in the audience earlier, seeing the play for the first time, I said to myself, it couldn't have been this big if I didn't pass it on. I am so awed and honored to have my favorite movie director accept this job for his theatrical debut. Miss Lea Salonga, my favorite actress, for giving life to Aureliana, Mr. Hugh Jackman for accepting the role of King Marcus despite his busy filming schedule and reluctance to work in theater, my good friend Robert who gets no more than a two hour shut-eye and tremendous jetlags from flying nonstop to and fro his filming in Oregon and the theater location. The crew, the production designers, floor directors, lighting personnel, our APs and ADs, the PAs and the food managers. This wouldn't happen without all of you."

 

When she mingled during the dinner party, people approached her, all of them wanted to leave an impression, especially the men. She was struggling not to sound rude while talking to the overconfident son of Chilean billionaire and former senator, Cristobal Pinera. Cristobal was openly declaring his admiration for her in front of so many guests and worse, he didn't even want to leave her side for a second.

 

She saw Eva approaching her, her face, usually unreadable, was pale. She braced herself.

 

"I need to talk to you, Ms. Choi," She looked at the pesky man beside her and Cristobal made a half step back, not wanting to have anything to do with her assistant slash bodyguard. "In private." She added. Eva's quite famous to the people who wanted to talk to her as they'll definitely have to deal with her first.

 

"Perdone, Cristobal." She bowed and clung to Eva's arm. "I know you'll know I need rescuing back there." She whispered. Eva stiffened.

 

"Ms. Choi. . ." Her voice broke. "The Princess. . ."

 

***********************************************************************

 

"I have to drop by the office first. I'll see you two later." Luhan kissed Key goodbye and gave Onew a high five." They were in Hotel Margrethe and they just arrived from Seoul. The family house in Shanghai would be good two hours away from the wedding venue and Key thought it would be convenient to use the reservation made by the bride's family in the same hotel where the wedding will be held.

 

"Alright. Will you be joining us for dinner?" Onew asked.

 

"I am not sure. I'll just call you." One of his bodyguards signaled that they’re ready to go. "See you." He went straight to the waiting limo that will take him to Han Group Shanghai. But before they can pull out of the hotel's driveway, a red sports car in raging speed pulled up in front of the limo, missing the driver's side by mere inches. A woman got out of the Lotus Elise and the valet parking people were in instant chaos trying to assist the female who didn't even know how to drive. He saw his driver scratching his head in annoyance. Then, like she remembered something, she bowed in front of the limo, her expression apologetic but that wasn't what got his attention.

 

"Xiumin." He uttered. His eyes couldn't be playing with him again, could it?

 

"I am sorry about that, Sir." And before he can recover from shock, they're already on their way to their building Lujiazui district. If ever that female's not Min, he could at least introduce himself and let his curiosity be contained. If there were two people in the world that looked exactly the same, it's possible that they know each other, right? That woman could be his link to Min after all. Before the limo stopped in front of their building, he's already formulated a plan.

 

******************************************

 

"You've got to be kidding me." Key muttered under her breath. Onew was caught up in a business discussion with one of the guests and she's starving.

 

"What's that suppose to mean huh, Noona? You can't bear to be with me for a minute?" Luhan taunted.

 

"I am starving, Xiao Lu! Let us go grab some food." She smiled back to one of the guests. Her legs were starting to ache from roaming around the enormous ballroom nonstop.

 

"Why don't you grab some food while I get us something to drink?" He asked. The bar and the buffet table were set on both ends of the ballroom.

 

"Lovely." Key rolled her eyes and went to the direction of the buffet table. She smiled to the only person in the buffet table, filling her plate with the Italian anti pasti. The woman looked vaguely familiar and she seemed to be shocked to see her. "Hi."

 

"H-Hello." Key didn't know if it's just her imagination but the woman's voice quavered a bit.

 

"Have we met?" Her beautiful forehead creased.

 

"Uh. . .I know you but I don't think we know each other." The woman relaxed and gave her a genuine smile.

 

"I wouldn't forget faces like yours." Her fingers snapped. "Of course! Harvard, right?" Minseok didn't know how to react. She didn't expect to see Jung Key. Again, after so many years. She felt real guilty that she killed her numerous times in her mind whenever she sees her with Luhan before. She just nodded in confirmation. "See? I remember! Though, I am good with faces, I am as bad with the names. I am Key." She extended a hand.

 

"Minseok. Kim Minseok." She shook her hand.

 

Key's eyes widened a bit after hearing her name. "I always see you before. We're just not lucky enough to be introduced. You're from the business school too, like my--Oh, there you are. Look who I am with, Xiao Lu."

 

A/N: Gabriel Garcia Marquez is dead but you already know this story was written years ago and I am too lazy to change it to someone else. LOL