You Don’t Want Me as Your Enemy

A Blessing or A Curse

A/N: Fourth installment! I’m loving the love…; )

 

Sehun slumped to the couch as soon as she opened her villa. Amber managed to lock the doors before she followed suit. "Long, long day." Amber mumbled.

 

"You can say that again. Ugh!" They had preliminary exams which they both aced effortlessly but there were a lot of assemblies and group meets to attend to. Even Baekhyun was busy training for the race. Sehun remembered something and turned her haversack upside down.

 

"Gosh!" Amber shrieked in distaste. Sehun's pens and other odds and ends came rolling from her haversack. She ignored her.

 

"Found it!" She brought out a piece of paper and read it. Her brows furrowed in concentration for a moment. "When did Baekhyun say her race is?" She asked.

 

"Saturday? Keep your schedule clear. We have to support her." She said and got up to raid Sehun’s kitchen.

 

"Where?" She yelled from the front room.

 

"Tolworth? Surrey, if I am not mistaken." Amber yelled back. The smell of popcorn dominating the whole ground floor.

 

"I think she got some serious competition." Sehun said, shaking her head.

 

"What do you mean?" Amber asked when she got back, a big bowl of popcorn in tow.

 

"I really have to be at the race to support Baekhyun. . .and my brother." She closed her eyes tightly. "When will my problems ever end?"

 

"You think your brother can beat Baekhyun?" In between mouthfuls of popcorn.

 

"Well, my brother was karting since he was four." She replied nonchalantly. "But I hope both of them get places."

 

"They sure will." Amber was confident.

 

Sehun's answer was interrupted by the ringing of her cellphone. She can hear it but she can't find it anywhere. "Grrrrrrrrrrrr." She made a gluttural sound. Amber laughed loudly. She had to reach under the coffee table where her phone went when she turned her bag upside down. "Heyow." She took a deep breath.

 

Hunnie? It was Seohyun.

 

"Seo! I miss you! You finally found time to call me, huh?" She smiled to herself.

 

That should be my line, you bummer! Seohyun shrieked. Even if she can't see her, she can tell that she was happy.

 

"Ha. Ha." She mocked. "What's up?"

 

I want you to be the first to know. Yonghwa and I--

 

"Oh my god!" She cut her off. "I can kill Yonghwa for letting this go on for too long! He finally mustered the courage to ask you out, eh?"

 

Err, I actually sort of asked him out. She admitted.

 

"I'll kill him." She breathed and Seohyun laughed.

 

How about you? How's London? She queried.

 

"London's fine. I am not." She replied snootily.

 

Love your life, Hunnie.

 

"How can I when life hates me?" Sehun asked with a pout.

 

Seohyun giggled. Alright, I have to go. You take care, ayt? Bye!

 

"Bye." She threw her phone carelessly aside. "Everyone is happy. Everyone is happy. Everyone is happy. Except me." She sang tunelessly and Amber snickered.

 

"You have a hidden talent. Keep it hidden, will you?" She threw her some popcorn.

 

"Thanks!" She stuck her tongue out. "Have you fallen in love before?" She asked curiously.

 

Amber wrinkled her nose. "Nope. Not yet. I don't think I am entitled as much. I am bethroted, you know."

 

"You are? That man! To whom?" She sat beside her and took a handful of popcorn from the bowl.

 

"I don't know." Amber sighed. "My two sisters had an arranged marriage and they seem happy. I think that depends on how you handle it. If you believe that it will then it will." She tried to reason out. "Only the men are allowed to marry outside the royal circle."

 

"Really? So Mr. Grump isn't bethroted to anyone?" She asked and Amber shook her head.

 

"How about you?" Amber returned the question.

 

"Yongguk don't really consider it falling in love. He was firm about that. But yes, I did like someone before." She told her.

 

"You liked Yongguk?!" Her voice raised a fraction.

 

"Oh god no! Eewww! We are close friends, right? He's one of the two people who knew about that secret. That makes the three of you now." She was incredulous. "He's my eldest brother's bestfriend."

 

"Oohhh. An old guy." Amber cooed.

 

"He's not that old!" She retorted. "He's just twenty-nine." She stuck her nose up in the air.

 

"Much older." Amber snorted. "What's he like?"

 

She smiled dreamily. "Very strong personality, matured.”

 

"Cool. You can reassess your feelings." She nodded. "Did you tell him you like him?"

 

Sehun's face scrunched up. "Hmpf. I invoke my right to privacy. Can we eat somewhere else tonight? I am too tired to cook."

 

Amber shrugged and decided to let it go.

 

*************************************

 

"We found him. Cole's grilling him now." Kevin Ross reported. They were gathered in an underground headquarters of the CIA in Southhampton. "It seems that he's not interested to the Princess. Proof's that he didn't hurt her when he had all the opportunity to."

 

"And what would be his reason? He knows who she is!" Her voice raised an octave. She thought about it and looking at a different perspective, it looked liked he knew she would be there.

 

"The other angle that we're looking into is that he's very much against. . .you." Bang Yongguk breathed.

 

"Me?! Yongguk. . ." She trailed off. There were a lot of people she ran over in her distinct ascendance to the higher ranks of CIA. Enemies, spies from other organizations and. . .fellow agents. She shuddered at the thought.

 

"He knows who Condor is." Julie Schmucker reiterated. "He knows who your boss is."

 

"I’d like to see him." She decided.

 

"Choi." Yongguk pulled her back to her seat. "Your temper isn't something you should be proud of." He shook his head. "We'll take care of him. This mission isn't as simple as we thought it would be."

 

She sighed but stayed on her seat. "Yes. We have to be more vigilant now. It's much easier for me now that the princess's willing to cooperate. Chances are, she won't be going anywhere dangerous without me. If your haunch is correct that the bastard's after me, it's better. The mission revolves around the princess. So long as she's safe, we're all good."

 

"We can't just allow anyone to come near both of you again!" It was Yongguk's turn to raise his voice. "This might be related to your brother's frustrated assasination." He analyzed.

 

"I need to talk to the director about this. If he's hiding something from us, I'll kill myself." She gritted her teeth. "We can all go back to our posts. Ross, coordinate with Langley. We'll need back up. Schmucker, call China. We need more background information. Bring me anything you can dig up. I really hope we don't need to stage anything but just in case, I am willing to strip." She said in a determined voice. All six heads jerked in attention upon hearing what she said.

 

Scott Hobson spoke for the first time. "That will be a. . .very dangerous maneuver." He assessed.

 

"I thought about it for days. The trial against Trinity will start soon and I think I need to show them who I really am. I'm going to talk to my father." She spat. Scott's correct. It will be very dangerous for her, judging her own history. But she's a changed person now. She's no longer the little spoiled rich brat who needed bodyguards to protect her.

 

To her surprise, Gabriel Dumas agreed with her. "That will be very effective. All attention will be turned to you. And then we can back you up." He added the last sentence in haste.

 

"Thanks, Dumas." She mumbled. Gabriel was also her classmate at the farm. He was highly competitive and she could tell that he hated that he's part of her team. She saw Yongguk glare at his direction. "Get back to work guys. I need to meet up with my lawyer."

 

*************************************

 

"Thanks." She muttered after the waiter placed the kiwi juice that she ordered in front of her. She tapped the table impatiently. Her lawyer's late for almost ten minutes. She sighed. She brought her laptop out. She's way beyond her deadline for her next novel and she's still polishing the plot for her upcoming theater comeback. She won't have any problems about it if only she's not taking care of Amber. And trying not to think about the problems at home. And so on and so forth. She sighed. She already finished a chapter when she felt someone sat across her on the table. "You're late." She said accusingly. She didn't even bother to look up. She had no respect whatsoever for people who didn't respect her in return.

 

She can retaliate about being busy but chose not to. She was too exhausted for a verbal clash. She took her time in putting away her computer before looking up. Only to be stunned by the sight of the person sitting in front of her.

 

"I am sorry I am late. How are you, Hunnie?" His eyebrows wiggled playfully. His mouth streched in an indulging smile. She stiffened in her seat. She wanted to check if her heart would go skydiving again like what Yongguk said but her mind was too numb to even notice.

 

"You can close your mouth now, you know." Woobin took her kiwi juice and downed everything before putting the glass down.

 

"W-what are you doing here?" Now, that was a stupid question but she can't find anything intellectual to say to his. . .to his. . .magnificence?

 

"Well, apparently, some girl needs my services and since I don't have any liberty to choose my client, I have to be here and meet up with her." He beamed again.

 

"You. . .are. . .my. . .lawyer?" She asked, eyes wide.

 

"Unfortunately." He sighed exaggeratedly that she contemplated on hitting him.

 

"I don't have time to joke around, Mr. Kim." She feigned indifference.

 

"Who's joking around?" His intelligent eyes told her that he was indeed serious. He took his wallet out and left some bills on the table before he guided her out. She was like a leaf being taken away by a storm. Her heart didn't exactly skydive but still.

 

"Where are we going?" She managed to ask when he was already driving away from the restaurant.

 

"Picnic." He replied simply.

 

"Picnic?! Oppa! I have a lot of things to do! I can't afford a picnic at this time!" She wanted to jump out of the car. Being with him in this close proximity's way too dangerous.

 

"This meeting's important. We are bringing down a dignified institution not to mention this is our reunion. So, if you're done whining, just try to enjoy, okay?" It was no surprise that he was at ease with London traffic. He practically grew up in London just like Yifan.

 

"How are you?" He rolled his eyes heavenward.

 

"I'm cool." She observed him in her peripheral vision. Fair skin, lean and muscular built, long sinewy legs, big pointed nose, long thick lashes. Physically, nothing much had changed and he was still the same person who used to spend spring and winter breaks in their house. But the power and authority that emanated from him even if he's wearing simple jeans and shirt's undeniable.

 

"I really hope I passed." He grinned.

 

She thought she was not capable of blushing anymore but she did. "How come you are my lawyer now?" She contacted a local firm and as far as she knew, his firm's in Los Angeles.

 

"Your father decided to take charge. He asked for my help." His fingers gripped the steering wheel tightly upon remembering the reason why he's in London. He can't believe someone will go against Sehun or the Chois for that matter.

 

Sehun looked at him with a petrified expression. So her father knew. He knew everything but like any other time, he’d just wait for her to come around and would just give her a hand if she’d ask for it.

 

************************************

 

"Hey." Yongguk sat beside her. He placed six large bags of food to-go from their favorite fast food, pushing three bags in front of her. He smirked.

 

"If you are going to annoy me because of my appetite again, don’t.”

 

"Easy." He raised both his hands as a sign of surrender. "'Zup?" They haven't seen each other for a few days. He was busy at the headquarters if he’s not in school.

 

"He's here." She said solemnly.

 

"Who?" He managed to ask in between bites of baloney sandwich.

 

"He who shall not be named." She whispered and Yongguk choked. She handed him a drink from the bag. "'You okay?"

 

It took him sometime to answer. "Are you kidding me?" He was incredulous. He didn't have the chance to meet Woobin but he was sure he can apply as his biographer as Sehun ranted about him almost all the time before. Sehun was rather austere in giving information about her but once she opened up, he wasn’t able to keep up. She was just a child when he met her so indulged her most of the time and tuned her out.

 

"Why would I joke about that?" She retorted and started getting the food out from the bags. She took her phone out and hit speed dial two. It went directly to Amber's voicemail. "Hey buddy, we're here at the back of Clare. Hurry up before Yonggukie finish all the food." She grinned at the glaring Yongguk.

 

"Where's Baekhyun?" He asked.

 

"Karting." She replied simply.

 

"Oh. Anyway, where is he? Why is he here? Why don't you look excited?" He threw her a lot of questions.

 

"One at a time, please." She rolled her eyes. "The trial's on Friday. He's my lawyer. And my brother’s here to race. Remember Baekhyun's race? That. And then my so-called first love's here. And then I have a university to sue and I have a princess to watch. If I don't pass the initial manuscript of my new novel in three days, Penguin's gonna kick me out. Someone or maybe some people wanted me dead. In your opinion, which is most important? I want to set my priorities, you know." She turned to him in mock seriousness.

 

"I think. . .you have to eat your lunch first. The food's getting cold." Sehun snickered and whacked in him on the head. "Hey!"

 

"I can see that you guys already started without me." Amber slumped on the grass-covered ground like the two of them.

 

"Do you know that her first love's here in London?" That earned another Karate chop from Sehun again. He winced in pain.

 

"Big mouth!" She whined.

 

"Really? We were just talking about him the other day, right? Oh my god! Are you confessing?" They just stared.

 

"Amber." Sehun cut her off. "What are you talking about?" It was incredulous! "He's just my lawyer. And," She can't continue. She was with Woobin the rest of the day yesterday, catching up. And it felt like nothing more than being with Yifan or Onew or Yongguk. So, Yongguk was right all along. What, or in her case, who you like when you're fifteen might be the person you hate when you're twenty. She was just glad that she didn't hate him. She was just over him. She smiled. She looked at them and saw that they were still waiting for her to continue her statement.

 

"And?" Yongguk prodded.

 

"None of your business!" She spat and laughed evilly.

 

**************************

 

"Are you okay?" Woobin asked her.

 

"Oppa, they are the ones who did me wrong. They should be hiding under a rock by now." She smiled a reassuring smile. She called her father the other day and asked for forgiveness. Siwon understood at once. She was also given the liberty to make decisions about Trinity and he told her that they're going to support her all the way.

 

"Right." Said by an approaching voice and Woobin could swear he heard a faint 'crack' when Sehun turned abruptly to look at the one who joined them.

 

"Appa!" She threw herself to him at once. "What are you doing here?" She saw that Chanyeol was behind him too.

 

"How can I allow my baby to face those mongrels alone?" His face was gentle and tender but his voice was stern. He was very busy but there was nothing in the world that he would not give up for his family. If he didn't disagree, his whole family would all be there today. He insisted that they do not have to crowd them for them to know whose toes they're stepping at.

 

"Uncle." Woobin hugged Siwon and Chanyeol. "You're looking good." He tapped Siwon's shoulder. Truly, Siwon looked like he's just forty rather than over fifty and that he had six grown ups.

 

"You too, son. You won't know how thankful I am that you're helping us."

 

"Anytime, Uncle." He smiled a bit and fought the urge to ask about his best friend. It was not the appropriate time. "How are you, man?" He turned to Chanyeol. "I'll be in Tolworth this Saturday." He assured. He race cars, too, in the US.

 

"Thanks, Hyung. I'll need your support." Chanyeol grinned.

 

"I haven't felt this good in months, Appa. I know we will win. Let's get it on then." Her grin mirrored Chanyeol's. They proceeded inside the hall. They were the first party to arrive. She smirked. It was already a minute passed the agreed time.

 

"They are taking this lightly. I am pretty sure this out-of-court settlement will finish this all." Woobin told them confidently. Sehun could tell he was thinking of the same thing about punctuality.

 

Before they can take their seats, the double doors opened again and revealed five men in generic suits. One balding plump male with pointed nose and sun-burnt cheeks, must be the lawyer, followed by one dignified looking tall man in his early fifties which she recognized as the dean of Trinity College, beside him was the youngest in the group, must be in early twenties, movie star material, the one who wrote the malicious article, she guessed, and then another two which she didn't give much attention to. She narrowed her eyes to the pretty boy who sauntered to one of the comfortable couches, feeling at ease to say the least. She contemplated on erasing the playful grin on his face. Then he looked at her. His jaws dropped when he got a good view. Serves you right. She thought dryly.

 

The door opened again and Amber entered the premises with Professor Anthony Badger. Amber. Professor Badger." She stood up to acknowledge them and lead them to the couch were her family was gathered. "Everyone, this is Huang Amber, my very good friend and Professor Badger, the head of Clare. Amber, Professor, I want you to meet my father, Choi Siwon, my bother Chanyeol and our family's very good friend and my lawyer, Attorney Kim Woobin." She saw Amber's eyes widen a bit when she mentioned Woobin's name. The men shook each other's hands. She was about to take her own seat when the door opened again and Taemin entered. All her worries seemed to dissipate when he walked straight to her direction and hugged her tighly.

 

"Hunnie-ah, I am so sorry." He whispered. She tapped his shoulder and smiled warmly.

 

"Let's forget about it. I am glad you came." She shot a good look at him. He was not in his usual tattered jeans and sneakers. He looked more like Vogue model than a photographer in his Armani dinner jacket over a ribbed long sleeved shirt. After brief introductions for those who didn't know each other, the arbiter entered and took his rightful seat in the middle of the hall after he introduced himself. Murmurs of individual conversations drifted into silence.

 

"If Han Sehyun’s legal counsel will introduce his party please." He gestured to Woobin, the one seated closest to him.

 

"Thank you, Fiscal Caldwell. I am Kim Woobin and these are my clients, Ms. Han Sehyun or should I say, Choi Sehun?" He gave the defense lawyer a sly smile. He started to sweat. The defense lawyer was sure he saw Siwon somewhere and now realization hit him. "And the honorable head of Clare College of Cambridge University, Professor Badger," He gestured to the old head master. "And their family and friends."

 

Surely, the defense did not expect that they will bring a top-notch lawyer educated in no less than their sister university, Oxford. A pride of OxBridge Academy himself. Woobin gave Oxford a lot of awards not just in academics but also in sports. Tennis in particular, as one of the first Asians to ever play in Wimbledon.

 

Their earlier uncaring demeanor vanished gradually as Woobin expertly turned the tables on them, enumerating number of laws they violated with ready answers to all the loopholes that they can find.

 

"I would like to give a chance to Ms. Choi to say something." It was Fiscal Caldwell. She just stared at him blankly then to the defense pannel. She shook her head.

 

"My daughter hasn't reached the legal age yet. If the Fiscal would give me permission to speak on her behalf." Siwon placed a reassuring hand on her back. The fiscal nodded. "My wife and I sent our daughter in Cambridge 'cause we believe that this is one of the best educational institutions in whole Europe. The university wanted to scratch all standard operating procedures in recognition of her genius but she politely refused. She went through the normal process, which, as we all know, is a very tedious one. Very few people know but my daughter is no less than the playwright and novelist Han Yi. One of the reasons why Cambridge University as well as other famous universities around the world are after her. Trinity is indeed very lucky we didn't bring this to the Central Administration. Han Group has been very very generous to OxBridge. We accommodate trainees and apprentices in various branches of our companies in whole England. My company has been supporting half of the scholars in the whole university through my wife's very own foundation. And most of the paying students aren't the one's who bring pride, are they, Dr. Halliwell?" He addressed the head of Trinity directly and his face paled as the message sunk in.

 

"Since everything that's written and said about this young lady and Clare College have no enough bases, they have been kind enough to even go through this closed-door settlement. What are your conditions, Attorney Kim?" It was the fiscal again.

 

"We have number of conditions that they have to fulfill if the defense panel do not wish this matter to end in court. First, they have to make a public apology. We want it trimedia. For both Ms. Choi and Clare College that is. Second, identity of Ms. Choi as the only daughter of Chairman Choi as well as being Han Yi shall not be revealed or be discussed outside the four corners of this room. If there will ever be a threat in her safety, the people in this room will surely be the primary suspects. Third, we want the Trinity College's official publication be closed and the whole editorial staff be expelled from the university without an amnesty from all colleges that make up the OxBridge academic union. Any OxBridge college who will accept them will have to meet us in court." James Lawson, the author of the article, paled and then turned red, defeat crossed his eyes. Clearly, he didn't know who he's messing up with. "Lastly, we want Dr. Halliwell to step down as the head master of Trinity College until Ms. Choi is no longer in the university."

 

The fiscal couldn't believe what he heard. He knew how powerful Choi Siwon was but he also knew how generous and humble he was. He didn't know this side of him. Ruthlessness fortified by anger from maligning his daughter, messing up with his family and outright graciousness. "Very well, conditions are given. Both parties are given two days to deliberate. We are to gather here again after a couple of days for final negotiation. Good afternoon, everyone." The fiscal left the room after he shook hands with all of them. The defense lawyer called Woobin’s attention immediately and soon enough, they’re absorbed in a highly technical discussion.

 

"Isn’t that a little. . .cutthroat?" She whispered to Chanyeol. She almost shuddered at the conditions that Woobin gave. It was different from what they agreed upon. She just opted for the apology and her anonymity. Clearly, Woobin and Siwon discussed it without her knowledge and her father was really mad. If not for this anomaly, she wouldn’t be exposed. Her family’s worried about, above all, her security.

 

"Being kind is not being fair. They did you wrong and now they are sorry for it. Good thing Mama convinced Appa not to pull out our support for Cambridge. He was so mad when he learned about it that Yifan-hyung was afraid his heart was going to give in." Chanyeol related in a low voice.

 

"Wait, how did he know?" She asked.

 

"HRH." He smiled smugly.

 

“Are you kidding me?” It was preposterous! But who’s directly connected to Cambridge anyway? No other than the Chancellor himself, Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, the father of Prince Charles and Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth’s husband.

 

"You know damn well they’re good friends." He retorted. Indicating that the discussion's boring him.

 

"Yes." She agreed. Of course they’re close friends. Siwon had been extensively investing in all countries that the Duke’s connected. England, second largest, next only to their investments in the United States, Greece and Denmark and also Greenwich. So his father was really already being kind to Trinity. If it was the Duke himself that reported it to her father, the Central Administration already knew. If this goes public, a backlash was definitely inevitable. Though she was sure Prince Phillip will side with Siwon, it wouldn’t be good for the OxBridge allegiance and reputation.

 

"Serves them right." It was Amber. She was so mad when she learned about what Trinity did. For once, she even contemplated on revealing herself just to help her.

 

"Hey, we aren't bloodthirsty, are we?" She rolled her eyes. "Oh, Oppa," And in much lower voice, "This is Amber."