Falling in to Place

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: How are you guys doing? :)

 

"Where exactly are we going?" Sehun asked nervously when she noticed that they weren't in the right highway to Castello Aragonese where the wedding reception will be held. "This isn't the right way." It started drizzling and Tao pushed a button to put the top on.

 

"I know. Relax.” Sehun tilted her head slightly to gauge if Tao indeed know a shortcut or he was not taking her to the reception at all.

 

"I have duties to fulfill, Mr. Huang and I have to be there now." She tried to regain her composure, for her nervousness not to show. She shifted in her seat slightly so she's facing the window.

 

"To hell with your duties!"

 

"Please pull over." She asked calmly. Tao even stepped on the accelerator in retaliation. "Please stop." hik "P-Please." Before she knew it, she was shaking uncontrollably and bawling in an ugly manner.

 

"Sehun-ah." He unfastened her seatbelt and hugged her tightly. Only then that she realized that they were already in a full stop in the middle of god-knows-where. She looked outside the window and saw small white houses from afar and the neverending sea on the other. But the breathtaking scenery didn't even calm her a bit. "I am so sorry. Dui bu qi."

 

"Zitao, please. I don't want to play games anymore. I'm hurting and I know it's my fault but please have mercy!" She pounded on his chest. "If it's any consolation, I'm dying as we speak but please, please stop." She whimpered. "I—I can't take this." She rustled for the door but it won't open. She'll trade anything to get out of that place quick. Run away from everyone—from Tao. From the only person who can make her happy at the same time hurt her like no other.

 

"No! I am not a fool anymore!" He thundered as he went back to his driving. He drove straight to a private dock and stopped by an anchored speed boat. He guided a stuggling Sehun out of the car. "Get in." He motioned for the short flight of wooden stairs to the waiting boat. The drizzle turned into a light rain and it was wetting them both.

 

"I'm not going with you!" She yelled. He shrugged and lifted her up to his shoulders effortlessly.

 

“I have no qualms in forcing you.”

 

Sehun, for the life of her, can take down any trained spy anytime of the day with her bare hands but cannot escape Tao’s vice-tight grip. She was dumped unceremoniously on the floor of the speed boat. She considered jumping off the boat but that particular part of the ocean was infested by sharks. While Tao maneuvered the boat expertly away from the private dock, she willed herself to stop from crying. She already broke down in front of him, telling him the most private of her thoughts and cannot let him have another card against her. She’ll trade everything if only she can undo her actions.

 

Meanwhile, Tao was relieving the day that started everything. . .

 

"Are you busy?" Sehun barged into his office and he didn’t know why his people allow such disrespect in the palace. Well, it was Sehun. She had her way in everything.

 

"Good afternoon, Ms. Choi." Tao rolled his eyes. "Can I help you?" He’s having an information overload from all the papers that needed his attention. The Parliament was proposing an amendment to the present Contitution and since the approval of the Emperor was necessary for all matters concerning the State and the Cabinet, he had to prepare. Also, there were pending tasks left untouched through the whole course of his father’s funeral and it were piling up in a speed of the Bullet Train.

 

"Maybe I could help you instead? You look tired." She walked towards his huge mahogany table and propped herself on the edge of it. She picked up a random paper lying on his desk and read it in silence. Once again, he was mesmerized by her beauty as she continued to analyze the documents he’d been mulling over for the last two hours.

 

"Why not diminish the power of the Bicameral instead? Or better yet, give the Goverment equal rights as the Bicameral. You perfectly know how divided the country is because of these rankings that discriminate local government units to those of the Congress. Not only the Imperial Family will gain allies from the local government and strengthen the ties with the people, it will also eradicate the threats of the Bicameral overthrowing the monarch." She chucked the paper back to the stack and crossed her arms in front of her chest while he stared at her like she’s the newest import from another galaxy. "Your Majesty?" Tao blinked once. Twice.

 

"And the Judiciary?" He swallowed. This woman was a genius. Not that he didn’t know that . . .but still! "What would they say that now both the Bicameral and the Government would have equal control over them? Wouldn’t that mean chaos?"

 

"Huang Zitao, let me show your sheltered what’s really happening to your country. Be with me for two weeks and you’ll never need any advice from any inconsiderate kissassing bastards ever again."

 

"Hey watch your mou--pardon?" He frowned. He must have heard it incorrectly. Was she asking him out?

 

"You look hungry, come with me." She held his hand like it was the most natural thing to do and dragged him out of his office. His Chamberlain and the Imperial Maids were all startled to see them rushing out of the office together. "Don’t let them follow us." She whispered and he stopped.

 

"Leave us alone." And everyone was glued on their spots at once. "Where would you take me anyway?" When they were out of listening distance and were walking normally towards the general direction of the Emperor’s palace.

 

"I said I’ll feed you." They went straight to the enormous kitchen and all the uniformed staff greeted Tao in perfect cadence and reverence. "Throw them all out, yeah?" She whispered again.

 

"What?" He hissed.

 

"Just do as I said." She growled.

 

"We will be using the kitchen for awhile ah. . .so. . .you may leave us alone." He ordered in his no-nonsense tone and everyone piled out of the room without a single word.

 

"What’s your favorite food?" She snagged a random apron lying around, tied it around her waist and used a chopstick to tie her hair up. "They might think I’ll poison you so you should watch and you better watch carefully, yeah?" She washed her hands on the sink while Tao stood in the middle of the ktichen thinking he was in a dopey dream or something. "I could use some help, you know?" She raised an eyebrow, walking towards the large metal door to the walk-in freezer. He heaved a deep sigh and followed suit.

 

"Paella." He mumbled.

 

"Huh?" She looked up from perusing different kinds of meat on the rack.

 

"Paella is my favorite food." He reinstated. What was she up to really?

 

"Oh. Okay. Do you guys keep rabbits in here?" She queried.

 

"Excuse me? Why would we have rabbits in here?!" She was spewing nonsense, mind you!

 

"Well, the traditional Paella from Valencia, Spain, where it originally came from, has rabbit meat in it." She explained like he was too dumb not to know.

 

"You’ll cook Paella for me?"

 

"Way to go Captain Obvious. Of course, silly! Didn’t you hear me the first time? Hey, Your Majesty, it’s not very royal to be spacing out all the time." She admonished.

 

"I am not spacing out!" He denied vehemently. "I am just wondering why you’re playing nice." Then he gasped. "You’re really planning on poisoning me, aren’t you?!"

 

Her eyes narrowed considerably. "Maybe I can go away with the rabbit and put human meat instead in your Paella."

 

"What do I do? Can I chop the vegetables?" He asked instead, sweat forming on his forehead.

 

"Can you chop the vegetables?" She raised an inquiring brow. The change in his demeanor was outright funny and it took years and years of practice not to laugh. She wondered why Tao let her do as she pleased when he could easily throw her out for blasphemy and disrespect.

 

"Of course! What do you take me for? I lived alone in UK and I fed myself when I was there." He boasted. Before long, they were working in relative silence. Tao was cleaning the snap peas and Sehun was watching the pan as the chicken and lamb (in replacement of the poor rabbit) journeyed to a slow simmer.

 

"Dui bu qi." She said carefully and Tao looked up from what he was doing.

 

"Do you pity me, Choi Sehun?" His face sharpened in askance.

 

"Yeah, I do." The sincere reply and Tao’s jaws tightened. She could have lied! "I can’t imagine myself without my parents and having such a huge responsibility on my shoulders. But aside from pity, I also am proud of you. You never falter. You never show your weakness because you know your family relies on you for strength. If only for that, China is in good hands." She gave him a small smile and he gaped like he’d been doing since her impromptu appearance in his office earlier.

 

"Can I kiss you?"

 

"Wha--" He placed a hand on her nape and pulled her closer for a savage kiss. He’d been dying to do just that ever since he met her and for this moment, he didn’t want to think of anything. Not now, not today. Not when he’s with Sehun.

 

*******************************************

 

"Please welcome, the Rigodon de Honor!" Announced the emcee and the coordinator motioned for Yixing and Yifan to take their place. It was their first official dance as a married couple.

 

They danced to a few more songs until the dance floor was filled by well-wishers who didn’t want to waste the chance to dance. "I love you, Choi YIfan." Yixing tiptoed and kissed Yifan lightly.

 

"I love you more." He replied simply when he caught sight of his stepson.

 

"My turn." Martin declared arrogantly and they both laughed. Yixing danced with Martin then with Siwon and the rest of the Choi brothers. Onew and Taemin even took their turns. When the music stopped, they took their seats for a surprise number. The curtains opened to Luhan sitting on a high stool, holding a guitar.

 

********************************************

 

Luhan plucked the first few notes of the song that best described what he's feeling at the moment. He didn't care if it would ruin the convivial atmosphere of his brother's wedding. It was now or never. His eyes fervently roamed around the large hall and looked for Minseok. His Xiumin. He locked eyes with her for a second.

 

"To see you when I wake up is a gift I didn't think could be real. . ." He closed his eyes and remembered the day a shy but amazingly beautiful girl appeared on his doorstep like an angel sent from heaven.

 

"I am the. . .the model sent by the—good morning." The way she stuttered was nothing short of lovely and he was smitten.

 

"To know that you feel the same as I do is a three-fold utopian dream. . ." He didn't dare open his eyes when he felt that the crowd fell silent now. He can almost hear his own heart hammering painfully against his chest.

 

"I can't believe it. . .I was the. . .first." He thought it was absurd for a woman to give herself to someone she just met weeks ago but he considered himself lucky. She just bit her lip and snuggled closer to him after the earth-shattering lovemaking. He can't even remember when the last time he felt so good and not like he was just doing it for release.

 

"You do something to me that I can't explain.. . ." The memory of the night he didn't find her in his pad was excruciating. He didn't want to go through all that again ever. He never thought that he's capable of feeling such grief.

 

"So would I be out of line if I said, I miss you. . ." He opened his eyes and met hers. And for the first time since their paths crossed again, what he saw in those hazel brown orbs mirrored his own. A tinge of hope warmed his heart.

 

"I see your picture, I smell your skin on the empty pillow next to mine. . ." Not only had that he dreamed of having her again in his arms but meeting his child too. And whenever he saw Minkyung but not able to introduce himself as her father, it was devastating.

 

"You have only been gone ten days, but already I'm wasting away. . ." But he died just minutes—seconds after he knew she was gone. She took a part of him with her that he can't function like he ever did before. And he never will unless she gave it back.

 

But she won't.

 

Because it was rightfully hers.

 

"I know I'll see you again whether far or soon. . ." If only he could turn back time so he could refrain from doing what he did wrong, he would. He'll gladly trade everything just to bring back the days that she'll be waiting for him to come home, where they will spend the rest of the night in pure bliss.

 

"But I need you to know that I care. . ." He saw her excuse herself from her boyfriend and left the room while the rest were absorbed in his singing. He blinked back a tear but it fell anyway.

 

"And I miss you. . ." His voice broke as the audience went to a standing ovation. He knew they appreciated the song even if it didn't fit the occasion at all. But the person he wanted to dedicate the song to left. Like what she did years ago.

 

*******************************************

 

Minseok stormed inside Luhan's office, the secretary falling closely behind in a frantic fashion. She tried to keep her out of the room as the instructions were clear that she should not let any visitors in.

 

"I tried to tell her, Mr. Choi but--"

 

"It's okay. I'll take it from here." Luhan cut her off in a no-nonsense tone of his that she can't really get used to. It wasn't long since the President and CEO of HanTel decided to stay permanently in Busan and she was pulled out from the secretarial pool to be his girl Friday. She gave Minseok a wary glance before she scurried out of the room.

 

"How can I help you, Ms. Kim?" Still in a formal tone. The woman of his dreams sent daggers to his direction and chucked a square object carelessly wrapped in bright blue colored paper on his table.

 

"Don't Ms. Kim me, goddamnit!" She swore loudly. "Seriously, when are you going to stop, Choi Luhan?"

 

"Why, shall I call you Mrs. Im now? You guys aren't even married yet. In fact, I just sent you your engagement gift." He smirked and lifted the medium-sized frame that Minseok brought. It was a reproduction of a large version he had in his pad. A Minseok.

 

"You despicable--!" She had lost her poise completely as she lunged for Luhan to slap him hard but he caught her arm and held her wrist tightly.

 

"I'm not going to stop until I get what I want. Keep that in mind. You left me no choice." Luhan's piercing gaze made her wince inwardly. "If you want the business of that lapdog of yours to still be intact by the end of the day, you'll have to tell my daughter that she's going to meet her father soon." Minseok freed herself from his grasp violently.

 

"You sonofab--!" She was cut off when Luhan slammed his lips onto hers harshly. The kiss was punishing, obliterating the memory of another guy in her mind. Even so, Luhan didn't have to erase anything. He was still the person in her mind. Not even anger can wipe what they shared.

 

Their lips stayed locked for what seemed like forever before Luhan her lower lip, asking for entrance. Like in a trance, she opened and placed her arms around his neck, pulling him close. How she missed this feeling. Luhan's hand was drawing playful cirlcles at the expanse of back. She was so absorbed in what he was doing when he released her abruptly, causing her to sway a little from the force. She stared at his mocking brown eyes in disbelief and willed herself not to cry.

 

She was, again, fighting a losing battle. She turned her back at once and left. She didn't want to break down in front of him and make a complete out of herself twice in a row today.

 

*******************************************

 

"This should come from one person and one person alone." Corinne was gloating about her genius while looking at the box of the delicious pastry longingly. "And you know what this means, don’t you?"

 

"And it could be yours for all we know." Thank goodness optical keyboards had been invented or he’ll be paying serious damage for company property. "You said so yourself that there’s not a single hint who it’s for."

 

"My husband stopped sending me anything a long time ago." She pointed out. It had been a week since different pastries had been delivered to the office which Jongin won’t touch with a ten foot pole. Why the sudden change of heart, you ask? She had no bloody idea. "And this is your office for crying out loud! Why would they send stuff for me here? Look, I don’t know what happened because you won’t tell me but if it’s Kyungsoo that’s making a move, what’s keeping you?"

 

"Auntie, whatever romantic fantasies you have in mind, please take them somewhere. Kyungsoo is a building tenant. It’s not really good to mix business with something else." He’d learned his lesson. The hard way. Maybe he should have Corinne retire early and look for a deaf-mute as his secretary. Having her around all the time meant having perpetual spasms and migraine attacks.

 

"That didn’t stop you from pursuing her before!" Yay! Give her a cookie. Now. Honestly, when was the Lord going to stop punishing him? He’s trying his best to get Kyungsoo off his mind whilst all the people around him kept rubbing salt to his wound.

 

"Auntie Corinne, Kyungsoo already has a boyfriend, okay? He was there during the opening of her cafe. And I don’t think Kyungsoo would want me to trouble her again. After all, I was not really the best boyfriend in the planet."

 

"But why would she send these if she already has a boyfriend?" She asked. "This is Kyungsoo’s! I can’t be mistaken!" She took a considerable bite of the mango cream pie. The mango cream pie. "Oh no, don’t tell me it’s from one the pesky admirers again?!" She grumbled. "Well, sorry to bother you. I’ll screen the gifts better next time." She scurried out of the office with the pastries in tow. How he wished Kyungsoo really sent those. But what he saw and heard the other day crashed his hopes effectively.

 

******************************************