Can’t Help Falling in Love

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N:  The most-awaited TaoHun moment. Hahaha

 

"Are you done yet?" Luhan asked.

 

"Almost. Then I'll take a quick change. Mother and father will arrive in two hours, won't they?" She glanced at her wrist watch.

 

"Yes. I think I have to go change myself before the guests arrive." He turned towards the grand staircase.

 

Sehun went back to the kitchen and busied herself while barking orders to the help. They were able to set up the buffet table before she ran up to her room to dress up for the party. She was dead tired. She walked passed through the door of Amber's designated room and decided against knocking. She must be tired and I smell like chicken satay.

 

Like a whirlwind, she had quick warm bath to relax her tired muscles, dried and styled her hair and applied a subtle make up. She withdrew a couple of white dresses from the racks in her walk-in closet. The first one was a white halter dress with a low neck line. She shook her head. Her brothers, not to mention Taemin and Onew will definitely kill her. The other one was an empire-cut white dress with thick gold accent on the waist. It looked decent enough for her to avoid some serious beating. She put on gold pins on her messy up do. Her gold Giuseppe Zanotti finished off her look. She spun slowly in front of the mirror and was satisfied with what she saw. She head off to Amber's room to greet her.

 

***************************************

 

Sehun made a warning knock before opening the door. "Amber--" She gasped for air after a few seconds of holding her breath. In front of her, standing like a half- demigod, was Tao! He was barefoot and was as startled to see her. His hair was still wet from the shower, his white designer pants didn't give his body any justice. Just give him wings and he'll definitely pass as the angel of seduction. He's breathtakingly beautiful. A prince no less. Sehun cleared . "What are you doing here? Where's Amber?" She asked sternly.

 

"Good to see you too.” He mocked. “Someone supposedly invited me here. And I honestly don't know where she is at the moment." Sarcasm in his voice was very apparent. He turned to the large bed and picked the invitation, an action to hide his urge to ravage her innocence right there and then. It was not everyday that a siren invades his personal space. And he was not even properly dressed! He took a deep breath and faced her again, calmer and more composed this time. "Here it is. Amber Huang and Guest it says." He was saying as he approached her little by little. He could smell her subtle perfume or was it her natural scent? And it was intoxicating.

 

Sehun took a half-step back when Tao was right in front of her, his breath fanning her face. She swallowed involuntarily. "I just. . .didn't expect to see you here. I'm. . .sorry." Her gaze was like glued to his lips. She was fighting the very strong desire to cross the short distance between their faces. Ugh! I am getting mad!

 

"Apology accepted. Now, will you go and find Amber or," He eyes roamed around her face. "You want to help me get. . .dressed?" He smiled.

 

"Hah. You wish." At last she found her voice. She turned towards the door to leave. It was not healthy for her to stay close to Huang Zitao. Then stopped when she reached the door. "And oh, enjoy the rest of the evening, Your Highness." She curtsied without facing him and banged the door. The nerve of that guy! She then berated herself for almost losing her sanity in front of him.

 

*****************************************************************************

 

Tao was smiling alone like crazy after Sehun left. It was so out of character to like that but he can't help it. She was most enchanting when she's angry. The sight of her tonight erased all other images of her in his mind. Yes, he'd been thinking of her since he left London. The only female that occupied his mind and refused to leave. Being in Seoul's already an indulgence. A guilty pleasure. He shouldn't be playing with fire. Like what Zian mentioned before, they are not entitled as much.

 

He remembered sending one of his most trusted men to taunt Amber and to despite Sehun. A lame attempt to eradicate her in his mind completely. The result, the guy was caught and it took him a lot of persuading before the American government released him. He told them the Imperial family will take care of him. If Zian learns about it, she'll definitely won't forgive him. But he just wanted to teach the girl a lesson. Hell, he wanted her to quit! So that he won't see her ever again so he can regain his peace of mind. But she wouldn't. And it drove him crazy! He stomped towards the walk-in closet and got dressed.

 

*****************************************

 

It was a white party. The whole backyard was transformed into a winter wonderland in the middle of spring. A humongous white tent was built and inside, white balloons stayed afloat, white freesias and custom-made white M&Ms adorned the tables. Every guest was instructed to be in their casual whites. The atmosphere was of pure laidback elegance as people drank white cosmopolitans and white chocolate martinis and feasted over white forest and coconut cakes. The stars of the evening hadn’t arrived yet and everyone, especially the Choi siblings were anxious. Their mother's a party freak and had this uncanny ability to foresee any surprises and she was not really easy to please.

 

"Hey, buddy!" Amber hollered from across the tent to get her attention, accompanied by her frantic hand waving. She rolled her eyes and motioned for her to wait.

 

The place was half-full with their family. Onew was perpetually beside Key who just gave birth but didn't give any signs of gaining weight. She's a one hot momma in her white lace mini dress and gladiator sandals. Taemin volunteered to be the spinner and was busy manning the sound system. He found Woobin and Yifan in a serious discussion in one corner. Luhan was giving final instructions to the help. Chanyeol was beside Amber. Jongin was fixing the stage and Joonmyeon was busy going from table to table to light the citronella and French vanilla candles.

 

Hankyung and Siwon's plane will arrive in twenty minutes and then they had another half an hour to reach home. Perfect. Everyone will be present by then. And as if on queue, the Hwang family entered the tent. She put on a genial smile and welcomed everyone. She gave the old man Hwang Fu Xiong a bear hug. The old Hwang was Hankyung’s business mentor.

 

"Choi Sehun, is that really you? God, you are so big now." She laughed.

 

"And why are you stuck in this chair now?" She taunted playfully. She nodded to the nurse and took the wheel chair and pushed it slowly towards a nearby table. "C'mon, you can still do Taichi!" She pushed the chair to a big round table.

 

"I am much older, you punk. Do you want to break my bones?!" They both laughed. "Where are the others?" She asked and Nan Feng Cai entered, the eye-candy Gong Mo Li beside him and Nan Feng Lin and Nan Feng Ying were falling closely behind. Hwang Fu Xiong’s granddaughter Shan greeted her. Beside her was her fiancé Nan Feng Jin.

 

"Unnie." She kissed Shan and the man beside her cleared his throat. "Jin!" She faked enthusiasm. "C'mon, give me hug!" Which he did and she was quite stunned that his actions didn't seem to be robotic like before. It was actually warm.

 

"You've grown to be so pretty, Celery." And that earned him a death glare from her.

 

"Yah!" He started calling her Celery because it was his least favorite vegetable and because he thought it was smelly. "Unnie," She linked her arms to Shan's. "Aren't you making the biggest mistake of marrying this sports drink-abusing, ill-mannered, penny-pinching, walking stomach right here?" She tskd and Shan laughed merrily at their useless banter. Jin coolly messed up her tresses.

 

"I missed you, mei. I missed our fights." He hugged her and tapped her back knowingly. "How have you been doing?" His voice tender.

 

"I am doing quite well without having you around." She stuck her tongue out to him and they laughed.

 

"Hunnie!" Cai called and Sehun turned to him and was blinded by his sparkling smile.

 

"Nan Feng Cai." She pursed her lips.

 

"Aren't you going to welcome your ex-boyfriend properly?" He extended his arms, his eyes were dancing with laughter.

 

"I wouldn't have reached this age if you were my boyfriend." She snorted but nevertheless gave him a hug. "It's been so long." She smiled and gave Mo Li a hug too. "This is a certified playboy, tell me if he ever contemplates on going the wrong way." Mo Li smiled in gratitude. "Ying! Lin!" She linked both her arms into each guy.

 

"Do you know that those four are getting married soon?" Huang Fu Xiong indicated Jin and Shan as well as Cai and Mo Li.

 

She nodded and her brows furrowed as she waited for what it was that he's going to say. "Anyway, we still have Lin and Ying for you to choose." Her jaw dropped. Lin and Ying removed her arms from hers and were instantly out of her reach.

 

"And what does that suppose to mean, Nan Feng Lin, Nan Feng Ying?" She asked in a deceptive calm. Everyone was laughing heartily.

 

Then she saw the head of the Huo family, Zhen Hao with his sons Xiao Yan and Xiao Da with a petite girl in tow. They're the people behind the Huo chain of department stores. She excused herself and met them at the tent entrance.

 

"Uncle Zhen." She kissed her father's good friend. "Xiao Yan Ge Ge." She gave him a hug. "You aren't married yet, are you?" And the mellower Huo just smiled. She turned to the black sheep of the Huo household and grinned. "I am glad that you are okay now. I heard that you've been sick."

 

"Radars are busy working, I suppose." He grinned too and gave her hug. "Sehun-ah, this is my fiancee, Tong Jia Di, Jia Di, this is Choi Sehun, Uncle Siwon's only daughter. You remember him, don't you?"

 

"Of course." Jia Di smiled and shook her hand. "Nice to meet you, Sehun-ssi."

 

"Please call me Sehun and the pleasure's mine, Jia Di-jie." She ushered them to a table just beside the Hwangs and when the two old men saw each other, they engaged in a business discussion readily. Young people rolled their eyes.

 

People very close to their family arrived one by one and soon enough, the tent's packed with the Seoul's movers and shakers. The mansion's underground parking lot's full of top-of-the-line vehicles. They would not want Siwon and Hankyung to see the rows and rows of cars parked on the driveway. Sehun received a message that her parents were almost home. She walked towards Taemin and she told him to turn the music off. She requested everyone to fall silent. Lights were turned off aside from the candles. The siblings gathered around.

 

*********************************

 

"Where are my children, Max?" Hankyung handed him her coat, Siwon was right behind her.

 

"They're playing cards in the den, Madam. And welcome home. How was your trip?" Max's palms were sweating.

 

"It was so great." Siwon rolled his eyes in irony. He hated speaking in public and had ditched MENSA a couple of times before but he was not able to get away this time.

 

Hankyung giggled. "I'll just change and I'll join the kids in the den while we wait for our dinner. Go and take a shower, honey."

 

When they entered the room, Hankyung was stunned to see a large bouquet of rare species of white Geraniums, her favorite flower. She wasn't able to pick it up though as their attention were grabbed by the magnificent display of pyrotechnics outside. They walked-ran to the verandah and saw the people gathered in the backyard. Hankyung's eyes were instantly wet and Siwon hugged her. "How I hate surprises." She laughed in tears.

 

*******************************************************************************

 

After the sumptuous dinner, Hankyung and Siwon were surprised when the curtains were drawn and it revealed a small makeshift stage equipped by different musical instruments. Their children went up and Yifan held the microphone.

 

"What are your kids up to, Choi Siwon?" Hankyung asked her husband.

 

"How would I know? And why is it that they are my kids now?" He gave her a look.

 

"They didn't let me into the party planning!" She hissed and Siwon guffawed.

 

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I, in behalf of my brothers and sister, would like to thank everyone who uhm, conspired with us," Yifan laughed at his own terminology and the people joined him. "And came here in such a short notice. And I would like to wish my parents long life and more fruitful years of marriage and thank them for taking care of us and loving us all unconditionally." He winked to his parents. "This is actually a very rare occasion, our sister is here and if that isn't much, she's here on stage!"

 

"Hey!" Sehun glared at him and the audiences laughed.

 

"I hope this little gift would bring back the yesteryears." Then each of them went to their respective instruments. Yifan on cajon drum, Jongin on keyboads, Joonmyeon on sax, Chanyeol on acoustic guitar, Sehun on drums, and Luhan held the microphone.

 

"According to my research, mother walked down the aisle in this song." Luhan said and Chanyeol strummed the first keys of Someone to Watch Over Me. Their rendition of the beautiful classic piano tune rendered everyone speechless. Luhan's voice was soothing as he glided through the beautiful ballad.

 

There's somebody I'm longing to see

 

I hope that she turns out to be

 

Someone who'll watch over me

 

Tao was in a dim corner and his eyes were intent on one figure on stage. Standing in front of her were her brothers but it's as if she's the only one that he can see. He found himself asking if there's really anything that she can't do. He watched her as she slightly banged her head in tune to the sweet music while her hands were busy on the drum set. She's effortlessly alluring. Then he looked around when he remembered something. If he remembered it correctly, a lot of her admirers would be present tonight. He heard someone call himself her ex-boyfriend earlier and old people were openly match-making their sons to her. He wanted to thank the man who introduced himself as Onew immensely when he warded off Sehun's admirers like they're lowly flies. He can see how protective they were of her.

 

Won't you tell her please to put on some speed

 

Follow my lead, oh how I need

 

Someone to watch over me

 

Someone to watch over me

 

Suddenly, he fell for the song. Gershwin's correct after all. He's a little lamb lost in the woods of her charisma and he can't get himself out. He's going to hell if ever he let this thing go on.

 

He woke up from his deep slumber when he heard Luhan spoke again. "Let us all dance the night away and for starters, we give you the music to our parent's first dance." And the beat shifted from a slow ballad to fast tempo of The Beatle's I Saw Her Standing There. And the people started getting up from theirs seats and partners filled the vast vacant space in the middle of the tent intended for that particular reason.

 

Well she looked at me, and I, I could see

 

That before too long I'd fall in love with her.

 

She wouldn't dance with another (whooh)

 

When I saw her standin' there.

 

Even his sister was dancing with one of the guests and visibly enjoying the party. How he wished that their family can party like this and lose control just for one night. Parties he attended were very conservative. Rigid if you may. Stiff. It's like walking in numbers. Every step he made, camera bulbs were flashing.

 

Well, we danced through the night,

 

And we held each other tight,

 

And before too long I fell in love with her.

 

Now, I'll never dance with another

 

When I saw her standing there

 

Then he saw her climb down the stage and go to a dimly-lit corner of the tent after securing herself a glass of white chocolate martini and watched the guests enjoy the next tune coming from the sound system. He looked at her intently and decided that hell shouldn't be that bad.

 

*******************************************************************************

 

"May I have this dance?" She couldn't mistake that voice from anyone. How many days did the owner haunt her sleep? Just a little less than too many. She turned to him with affronted eyes. The music was changing and she strained her ears to listen. She recognized it as the El Relicario, her favorite Paso Doble tune. Let's see if you can keep up with me. She smiled slyly and gave him her hand.

 

Tao thought the world stopped because of that smile. Even if it's not a real smile. A smile is a smile is a smile. He swallowed hard and guided her in the middle of the dance floor. Two old couples were left in the dance floor as the other partners sat when the music changed. And since it was Sehun, she attracted the attention. Soon enough, the two other couples took their seats and it was just the two of them in the middle of the dance floor. He caught Amber in the crowd and she gave him a thumbs up.

 

Sehun was enjoying every bit of it. She can feel Tao's awkwardness as they circled the space like bulls ready to charge. She loved to dance. Or maybe it was a prerequisite if you did not have any talent at all in singing. She glided through her heels and swayed through her skirt. And since it's Paso Doble, she danced in character too. She bit her lip seductively and met his eyes. As the tempo picked up its pace and they were like blurring figures in the middle of the dance floor, she was being lured to exhilarating menagerie of emotions. Clearly, she underestimated him. She knew she's an excellent dancer. And the attempt to humiliate him didn't work.

 

If scent wore out readily by smelling too much, Sehun would be walking unscented for the rest of her life. But Tao couldn't get a hold of himself. The moment he touched her, he wanted to devour her. He knew that the people around would be the only reason that held him back. She danced like a dream and he didn't know if he's imagining things or not but she's flirting big time! The loud applause woke him up. Sehun was about to shrug out of his touch when he heard the first few notes of the next song. He held her back. "Not so fast, Terpsichore."

 

"I am tired. I want to catch my breath." She glowered at him.

 

"Then don't move." He pulled her close and glided her slowly into Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling in Love. He rested his chin on the top of her head and he didn't even notice that people were starting to gather around them. "Shall I stay. . .Would it be a sin. . .If I cant help falling in love with you. . ." He sang slowly.

 

"Why are you doing this?" She whispered and rested her head on his chest. She had a long day. She's tired. As if it's an excuse.

 

"Because I don't have any will not to." He whispered back and she didn't answer. "You are lovely tonight." He said after a long moment of silence.

 

"Should I take that as a compliment?" She retorted.

 

"You should. It's true." He said and she laughed loudly, throwing her head back in whatever it was that she found amusing. And she instantly grabbed attention. He finally noticed the covetous glances that other men were giving her and daggers that were being sent to his direction.

 

"What's so funny?" He asked.

 

"You. You are funny, Huang Zitao. I don't know what games you're playing but can you stop patronizing me? It's not you." She told him straight. Since the day they met, Tao only had ridiculous words intended for her. And she can deal with that. But this side of him, she didn't like. Not at all.

 

"Why can't you just take things at face value?" His voice was just above whisper but hurt was evident in his tone.

 

"I am not trained to do that." She replied cynically.

 

"Like a river flows surely to the sea. . .Darling so it goes. . .Some things are meant to be. . .Take my hand, take my whole life too. . .For I cant help falling in love with you. . ." He sang what he felt and prayed hard that he conveyed the correct message.

 

Someone tapped his shoulder. "My turn."

 

*********************************************

 

"Yongguk! Honey, what took you so long?!" Sehun shrugged out of Tao's touch and hugged the guy who tapped his shoulder. "You're right in time." She hissed. "If you'll excuse us, Mr. Huang." She lead Yongguk towards the edge of the dance floor while swaying slowly though the music.

 

"I've always mastered the right timing." He beamed. "I was here an hour ago watching you going out of your way for Amber's brother." Sehun wanted to curve his eyes out of its sockets.

 

"I was not." She gritted her teeth.

 

"Of course you were." His eyes were dancing with laughter. He can see that Sehun's already falling for the prince in question and she's out to deny it.

 

"You are so annoying. I want to kill you." She rolled her eyes.

 

"Hey, I saved you, didn't I?" He retorted.

 

"Hmpf. Can we sit?" She was having cramps. She clung hard to Yongguk's arm. "My leg. . Ouch."

 

"Oh my, here." Yongguk carried her bridal style to one of the nearby chairs. He removed her stilettos and massaged her right leg. "You've been standing since forever, haven't you?" She nodded, immense pain was still visible in her face.

 

*******************************************************************************

 

Tao cannot believe that she literally left him in the middle of the dance floor. And did she just call that bastard Honey? He observed the two of them all smiles at each other and then as if she was in pain, she wobbled and the guy carried her much to his disgust.

 

"Ooops. Got replaced by the boy friend, eh?" Amber was suddenly beside him, smiling like a Cheshire cat. He glared at her.

 

"She just left me in the middle of the dance floor! How more ill-mannered can she get?" He griped. He was trying very hard to fight the urge of shaking the daylights out of her sister for what she just said. So that freakin' mastiff was her boyfriend?! He wanted to cross the dance floor and beat the hell out of the guy whose hands were all over her legs.

 

Amber wanted to jump for joy. She conspired with Yongguk to get the two idiots together and he readily agreed. On a condition that Sehun wouldn't get hurt or her brother, a prince maybe, would pay a high price. She knew that it was not an empty threat. Sometimes, she envies Sehun for having a lot of people watching her back. "Don't get too worked up. It was normal for common people to do that." She whispered. In China, in rare chances that they get to dance with a commoner, it was more ceremonial than enjoyable. And dance partners were stuck to each other till the end of the night.

 

"I don't care." But she knew who I am. That's what he wanted to yell to Amber.

 

"Whatever. There are a lot of prospective dance partners here so what's the problem? Surely, you can't steal Sehun from Yongguk now. They missed each other so much, I bet." And with that, she sauntered to where the bar was leaving him in a foul mood.

 

*******************************************************************************

 

"Are you okay now?" Yongguk fixed the straps of her stilettos when she nodded. "Can you get up?" He almost heard his stomach growling. He didn't eat anything on the plane and they were sitting across the buffet table.

 

"Yeah." She looked up and saw him roll his eyes. "Let us get you something to eat." She knew perfectly that he doesn't eat anything when he travels. He feels bloated and gets really sick if he does.

 

"Thanks." He placed his arm around her waist and guided her to the table.

 

******************************************

 

Sehun, Yongguk, Siwon and Hankyung were huddled in a table when they approached.

 

"Uncle." Someone called to get Siwon's attention. It was no less than Amber, her insolent brother behind him.

 

"Pr-Amber sweetheart." Siwon corrected himself in time and gave his daughter an apologetic look. "You came." He noticed the man walking behind her. The one his daughter's dancing with earlier. Could he be. . ? He pushed the unwanted thoughts off his mind.

 

"Happy anniversary." Amber gave her father a beso and eyed Sehun expectantly.

 

"Oh. Mama, these are Amber and her brother Tao. Amber's a good friend and lives next to my villa." She was tired of introductions.

 

"Happy anniversary." The two chorused.

 

"Thank you and thank you for coming." Hankyung kissed both of them. "You dance so well." She tapped Tao lightly on the shoulder that he nearly chokes. He remembered that he almost lost control at the middle of the dance floor, totally forgetting that her parents would be watching. He knew her mother meant more than praising his dancing abilities.

 

"T-thank you." He stuttered.

 

"I heard from Chanyeol that some of Sehun's friends are staying for the rest of the vacation. I already had your rooms arranged." She said in a tone that no one dared to disagree.

 

Amber winked at Yongguk and he fought so hard not to grin. Hankyung accomplished what both of them were trying to do: Keep Tao in Seoul for a few more days.