Bomb Number Two

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: I know how delayed this update is and then when I update I drop things like to this to make you more upset than the lack of update. LOL.

 

Baekhyun was ecstatic. To say that she was happy would be the understatement of the year. Like every other girl next door, she dreamt of her Prince Charming, Knight in Shining Armor in a great white horse to sweep her off her feet and it was finally happening.

 

Three months was rather brief for preparations but she was already on bridezilla mode so she’s confident she’ll be able to pull it off. Chanyeol hired a wedding planner to do her every bidding but she still wanted her personal touch on everything.

 

Today was her appointment with one of the youngest but most popular patissier in Seoul. Her café was dubbed by Food and Wine Magazine as the hottest culinary spot of the season. It didn’t only serve the most sumptuous coffee, cakes and desserts; it also had a wide selection of the best wines in the world. And the patrons ranged from different aged groups that flocked the area from sun up ‘til late at night.

 

“Good afternoon, Ms. Kim. Chef Do is expecting you. This way, please.” A maitre d’ greeted her genially. He led the way to a table partly hidden by pots of edible herbs on top of a low brick wall. “She will be with you shortly.” She? I didn’t know the chef is a woman.

 

The scent of fresh basil, rosemary and thyme dominated her senses. Unlike other cafes with clean smooth lines and pastel-colored furniture that sprouted all over the city like mushrooms, Winter Angel Café had a Mediterranean feel to it. With its subdued lighting, warm earth tones, soft jazz music and comfortable armchairs and couches, it was a nice place to chill and relax after a long day.

 

A slight woman with wide bright eyes and heart-shaped lips appeared a few minutes later. She had long black hair tied in a messy pony tail and her pristine white uniform looked a bit bigger in her slender frame. “Annyeong haseyo.” She bowed and Baekhyun mirrored her greeting. I know she was young but I wasn’t told she was this young. Why, she was sure the chef was younger than she was. “I’m Kyungsoo, Ms. Kim.”

 

“Just call me Baekhyun, Kyungsoo-ssi” She reoccupied her seat and the chef sat in front of her.

 

“Then please call me Kyungsoo.” She smiled and Baekhyun thought it lit up her face. “So…what can I help you with today?” Sungjong arranged an appointment with this person that she said she can’t say no to but refused to tell her what the meeting was about.

 

“This is my first time here in your café but I’ve tasted a lot of your pastries. A cousin of my boyfriend always brings a lot of your creations whenever we have gatherings and everyone enjoyed all of them.”

 

“Why, thank you. We put in a lot of hard work in to them so it’s good to know that someone appreciates them.” Her cheeks colored a bit and Baekhyun found it adorable.

 

*****************************************

 

Kyungsoo tilted her head and observed Baekhyun carefully. She was dressed in a simple embroidered white tunic. She wore no makeup aside from a bit of eyeliner that opened her small smiling eyes. She wasn’t adorned with any jewelry but she was sure that her watch cost more than her own car. Surely, this woman didn’t set up an appointment with her just to tell her she liked her desserts.

 

“You know, Kyungsoo, I am getting married three months from now and I’d like you to make the cake and fill the dessert bar for my wedding.” Kyungsoo was taken aback.

 

“Ahm, I think you got it all wrong…I mean, I don’t do wedding cakes and the café isn’t—“

 

“Kyungsoo, I know, I know. But maybe you can make an exception? I guess you don’t even know the reputation you have. They’re saying you’re the best patissier in town and I only want the best for the most important day in my life.” Kyungsoo’s resolve was crumbling because she was weak with puppy dog eyes and killer pouts. “It might not be important but you can name your price. Please?”

 

“Oh, no! It’s not about money at all. I’m not at all into cake decorating and I’m sure there were other people more capable for the job.”

 

“You didn’t even know you’re featured in Food and Wine Magazine, do you?”

 

“Excuse me, what?” How could she miss something like that? “Are you sure you have the right person bec—“

 

Instead of answering her, Baekhyun pulled out her iPad and showed her a bookmarked page.  “Here, see for yourself.” Kyungsoo eyed the device for minute before picking it up. Her eyes widened when everything sunk in. How did they know she studied in Switzerland? They even interviewed the chef she apprenticed from.

 

“The writer, I believe had a Michelin connection so they were able to know your background by pulling some strings. It’s only a matter of time before you get a visit from Michelin themselves, you know?”

 

“I—I don’t know what to say.” She should be happy but she wasn’t. Her information was published without her permission and she felt violated. Well, at least this explained the sudden boost in sales but still! “Baekhyun-ssi, is this the reason why you’d like me to make a cake for you? Because you shouldn’t believe everything you read.”

 

“No! Not at all! Chanyeol and I liked your food very much and I’d like to serve the food that we both love on the day of our wedding. Please?”

 

“Chanyeol?” It’s not the same Chanyeol, was it? “Who are you getting married to exactly?”

 

“Choi Chanyeol.”

 

“Choi Chanyeol as in Han Cars Choi Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo felt like she was hyperventilating.

 

*******************************************

 

“You know that your tummy will show one way or another, right?” Yongguk snorted. A retired associate from the CIA who also happened to be a doctor flown in from New York to check on the progress of her pregnancy. Paparazzi followed her everywhere and a simple blood work in a hospital will raise too much suspicion and she didn’t want her family to know about it that way.

 

“I know, Captain Obvious. Just get out. You have no business here. You’re stressing me out.” Sehun hissed. James Ronk eyed Yongguk and nodded. The Korean guy huffed but left the room. They were in Himchan’s house. A room was transformed in to an Intensive Care Unit and an anteroom to a modern medical laboratory. Their line of work sometimes required immediate medical attention but they can’t always visit a hospital for treatment lest they blow their cover. “Thank you for coming all the way here, Jim.” She said sincerely. The last time she saw the guy was when they were both taking care of Amber. He left the service shortly after she did.

 

“I need a vacation anyway.” He gave her a small smile. “Bang’s just worried about you, you know that, right?” He envied their friendship. As a spy, his colleagues were no more than a job to him. He knew their faces and memorized their names, knew what they’re capable of but he was never friends with any of them. When he came across Yongguk after he left the service, he was surprised that he even bothered to say hi. He wasn’t the nicest to anyone when he was with CIA.

 

“But he’s annoying me. I already wanted to pull all my hair out as it is and I don’t need a constant reminder how screwed I am.” She pulled her sleeve back in place after Jim taped a cotton ball from where he extracted blood sample.

 

“Just get him to take care of the baby later so you can get your revenge.” He laughed. He went to the anteroom to store the blood sample. He came out with a medicine bottle. “I need you to take this at least once a day.”

 

“Uhm, Jim, I can’t really take any meds.” She bit her lip.

 

“Don’t worry. It’s just folic acid and I’ve chosen the mildest and most organic I can find for your kidney. Himchan pulled up your medical records for me. Sorry, I’m not an Obstetrician so I need all the help I can get.”

 

“It’s okay. I doubt if it’s a secret.”

 

“Just stop climbing walls for now, okay? Nothing strenuous. No junk foods and soda and get lots of rest.”

 

“Do you consider going back to practice?” She asked. He was a medical student when he was recruited by the CIA. He continued to do so as a cover until he finished med school. He was a brilliant Chemist and doctor and he excelled greatly in chemical warfare.

 

“I’m not really sure. My background won’t really matter to any hospital.” His chuckle was laced with bitterness.

 

“I’m sure Gen. Raymond can draw a profile for you.”

 

“I’m contented with I have right now.” He sighed. “I’ll let you know about the results later today. For the meantime, want Himchan to get us something to eat?” He grinned.

 

********************************************

 

Jongdae won third place in the contest. Though it didn’t land her an opportunity to study photography in International Photography Institute, it certainly opened a lot of doors for both her and Eunji. Her best friend was accepted in a major publication in Seoul as a photographer for a famous lifestyle magazine. Jongdae chose to do freelance work and through contacts made during the exhibit, she was able to pay bills and still save a bit.

 

She was reluctant to start a career in Seoul but her father was adamant that she pursue whatever made her happy. Also, a distant cousin, Sungyeol, started helping in the canning factory and Kyuhyun invited him to stay in their house so it helped convince her to leave Mokpo because there’s someone who will take care of her aging father and aunt while she was away.

 

The wait staff came over to put the steaming cup of latte in front of her. She was there to meet a prospective client. The email she received told her that they want to commission her to shoot a baby. She was excited because babies were so pure and she figured they will be a joy to work with. She didn’t even know who the client was apart from her name—Ms. Park. She checked her watch and she was two minutes late. She guessed it was still acceptable. Seoul traffic was unpredictable and trains were always filled to the brim.

 

Not a minute later, a petite slender woman approached her table. She looked no older than Jongdae. She also noticed a couple of burly men who sat two tables away. “Hi! You must be Kim Jongdae. I’m Park Dara.” She stood up and bowed in greeting.

 

“Pleased to meet you, Ms. Park.” The woman chuckled daintily.

 

“I know I’m a lot older but please call me Dara.”

 

“You’re kidding, right? You can’t be older than I am.” She liked her already.

 

“Thanks but I’m thirty-four.” She’s laughed at Jongdae’s gaping face. “And I have a daughter.”

 

“Life is so unfair.” Jongdae was sure she’ll look like a baboon after she gave birth. “How old is she?”

 

“She’s turning three months in two weeks. I want the photos before her Christening. Can we do that?” Her tone was suddenly business-like and Jongdae straightened in her seat. “By the way, my husband will be joining us. I want his input as well for this project. I hope that’s okay.”

 

“Of course. Do you have any ideas for the concept?” She brought her planner out to take notes. Before Dara can answer though, they were joined by a familiar face.

 

“Sorry I’m late. My Indonesian friends took too long to sign the contract.” He kissed Dara on the cheek and she saw how her cheeks turned pink and she found it cute. After getting married and having a kid, they’re still as cute as a high school couple. “Hi! My name’s—“

 

“Kwon Jiyong, of course.” She knew she was staring again. The man was a legend. He built a hotel empire to spite his parents who didn’t believe that he can do it on his own. When the older Kwon died last year, he left everything to his only son despite the open animosity they had. Now Kwon Jiyong was the rightful owner of Seoul Museum of the Arts, several universities, performance theaters and an international entertainment company.

 

“Yong, I think she’s a fan.” Dara laughed.

 

“I am, yeah.” She said absently.

 

Jiyong laughed merrily. His eyes crinkled and his gums showed and somehow he looked like an adorable dork. “Am I that good looking?”

 

“I’m a fan of all your charities and your achievements actually.” She jested.

 

“Ahhh, yeobo! She’s mean!”

 

“Jongdae-ssi, I think we’ll be the best of friends!”