Cat in the Bag

A Blessing or A Curse

A/N: Might not be able to update later so this is an early Valentine's gift for everyone. :)  

 

 

Chanyeol twisted his swivel chair around from looking outside the glass walls when he heard Kaye open the door to his office. A wide smile crept up his face but it was immediately erased when he saw her holding the same bouquet of flowers he told her to deliver to Baekhyun.

 

Kaye feared the expression in Chanyeol's face. "S-Sir, she didn't accept it." Her voice quavered a bit. She swallowed hard when he narrowed his eyes.

 

"Why? Didn't she like tulips? I told you the assignment that I gave you is top priority!" His voice raised a fraction and he saw his secretary wince. He ordered Kaye to research about everything she can about Baekhyun before he put his plan into action.

 

'"I did. I think the flowers aren't the problem Mr. Choi. She told me she doesn't want anything to do with you." She said flatly and fought the urge to smirk. He finally found his match. Hallelujah!

 

"What did you say?" His tone was dangerous. He saw Kaye made half-a-step back.

 

You're losing your touch, Pretty Boy. She wanted to yell but chose not to. "I am very sorry, Sir." Was all that she could muster.

 

"What did she say exactly?" He tried to calm himself. It was not the first time that a woman turned him down but it was the first time that he'd been humiliated like this. Mo Li was too polite to do the things that Baekhyun did. He really hated her guts. And to think that he was not even his type! He was just trying to get even and this is what he got.

 

"Do you want me to rephrase it or you want it verbatim?" Kaye asked and he wanted to wring her neck. She maybe efficient but he could always replace her, couldn't he?

 

"Verbatim." He indulged his insolent secretary.

 

*********************************************

 

Minseok was tapping the floor with her black Prada pumps. The dreadful day had come. The HanTel party already confirmed the presence of the last person that she wanted to see. President Choi Luhan et al, it read on the note that her assistant gave her. Siwan didn't have any idea that she's in the verge of breaking down any minute. Why, she was dressed to the nines. She's wearing her lucky red dress and the most exquisite jewelry that she can find in her mother’s safe.

 

She stood and poured herself a drink from the mini bar. She needed some alcohol to calm her nerves.

 

"Are you okay?" He looked at Minseok from under his lashes. She seemed preoccupied with something. But before she can react, her cell phone rang.

 

"Yobosaeyo?" She answered on the first ring and listened to what the person on the other line would say. Then her face paled and ended the call. "I am sorry Siwan, I have to fly back to home." She said while dialing the number of the private jet's pilot.

 

"Why, what happened?" He looked worried and guided her to sit. The color of her face wasn't going back to normal.

 

"Papa had a mild !" She exclaimed, teary eyed. "I trust that you can handle this on your own?"

 

"What? How is he?" He asked.

 

"He's okay now, that's what the doctor said but I can't stay here knowing--" She broke down. Siwan held her until she's calm enough.

 

"It's alright. We can cancel this meeting." He said. "Let us--"

 

"No! You stay Siwan. This is important. Please. He's okay now so. . ." She gathered her purse. "I'll see you when you get back, okay?"

 

"S-Sure. Are you gonna be alright?" He was reluctant to let Minseok go but she was correct, the meeting's important. They lose serious money in every single day that the project was delayed.

 

"I sure am. Sorry about that." She was referring to her being emotional. Even if the doctor assured her that everything's okay and her father just needed rest, she can't seem to come to terms with it. They lost their mother early and she didn't think they can handle losing Yesung too. Not this time. She went straight to the elevators while dialing Baekhyun's number.

 

******************************************

 

"I want to tender my resignation today, Sir." Yifan looked up from the document that needed his signature and was quite surprised to see Baekhyun wearing dark sunglasses inside his office. He reached for the envelope that she was handing him absently.

 

"Have a seat." He motioned for the couch. He didn't even bother to read the letter. "Is there a problem?" He sat across her. He was genuinely concerned. For some reason, he really liked Baekhyun. She's smart, funny and in many ways, she's like his sister.

 

"I can't stay here." And she broke into tears.

 

"Why? Your training just started! Am I neglecting my duties as your supervisor? I am so sorry! Let me make it up to you, okay?" Yifan said frantically. He was not good with crying females!

 

"No, no!" And in broken speech, she explained what happened to her father and that her sister asked--no, ordered her to come home. "I am really worried about Papa. I'm already used to not having my mother around but if I lose Papa I don't--" And she broke into tears again. Yifan pulled her into a hug to pacify her.

 

Chanyeol didn't even glance at the assistant’s cubicle. He went straight to Yifan's office. He pushed the door open only to be taken aback with what he saw. His brother was hugging Baekhyun! He felt the sudden urge to beat him into a pulp. They didn't even notice his presence. She was crying while his brother seemed to be comforting her. For whatever reason. He made one step back and with closed fists, he bolted out of the door before he can do something he would regret.

 

******************************************

 

"Joonmyeonie? Anyeong? Are you there?" Dara's face appeared on the screen of the video phone.

 

Joonmyeon rolled from the bed and pressed a button on the console. "What?" He snapped. How dare she interrupt his thoughts!

 

"You are losing your manners, lover boy!" She giggled and Joonmyeon laughed. He noticed the abrupt change in Dara's face. She's blooming and she's a little. . .plump?

 

"'What's up, Noona?" Since Park Dara's a couple of older than him, he fondly calls her Noona when nobody's around. He wouldn't dare call her that in public or he'll definitely get a beating. Dara's his only best friend. He was in Harvard Business School, taking his DBA when they met. She applied to be part of the study group that he was in. They had to decline 'cause she was still in the undergraduate school and has different lessons from them. He saw that she was having a hard time adjusting to the American lifestyle and since they were both Koreans, he felt that it was his duty to help.

 

It was a start of a fruitful friendship. Dara was not a bit interested in who he was and just accepted him as him. No more, no less. They've known each other for a year when he learned that Dara's heiress to South Korea’s largest bank. It was about the same time that her mother found out that she was good friends with a Choi. She made not-so-subtle hints that she wanted to marry Dara off to their family. He was glad his family didn't treat marriage as a business merger. He just felt bad that her mother let her marry a hotel owner instead. A person that she didn't even love.

 

"Yah! Don't call me that! Makes me old!" She whined.

 

"Okay, okay. Now, what can I do for you, Madam Park?" He sniggered.

 

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that you'll be godfather soon." She beamed.

 

"Bwoh?!" His eyes widened in disbelief. "Ni. . .You. . .You mean. . .?" He stuttered from Korean to Mandarin to English stupidly. She'd been married for years but didn't show any indication that she wanted to start a family soon.

 

"I am on the family way." She tapped her tummy gently and smiled sweetly. Joonmyeon could swear Dara never looked so happy.

 

"Chukkahae! I am so happy for you!" He really was. "Does this mean. . ?"

 

"I think so." She cut him off. "I think this baby bound us together. He loves me so much and I think he'll be a good father too."

 

"That's good to hear then. I wish you all the luck." He said sincerely. "And is that the reason why you're sick? If that's the case then I forgive you for snubbing my party then." He beamed.

 

"It is. And thank you." She eyed him intently. "How about you, who managed to hide in the closet to entertain you while you weep?" She gave a ringing laughter. Sehun sent her a message to let her know what happened to his party. She was supposed to attend but she recently acquired motion sickness since she became pregnant. It was a very difficult pregnancy to say the least.

 

"'Don't know what you're talking about!" He stuck his tongue out.

 

"Oh come on, Choi Joonmyeon, I know you too well. We've been friends for eight years now." She narrowed her eyes.

 

"Uhm, someone." He smiled shyly.

 

"A sea fairy perhaps?" She snickered at her own joke.

 

"None of your business."

 

"Ouch." She feigned hurt. "I hope to meet her soon."

 

Joonmyeon just smiled and didn't say anything. 'I'll just visit you soon, okay?"

 

"You should. I'll let you know when the baby shower will be. And Joonmyeonie?"

 

"Hmn?"

 

"I want to remind you about Libertine. Does Uncle know?"

 

"I forwarded your proposal to his secretary. I think he will let Hunnie decide on it."

 

"Alright. That's good enough. Bring me lots of abalone when you come over, okay?"

 

"Aye, aye, Ma'am." He saluted.

 

"Ciao." And her face disappeared on screen. He went to the bed and hugged the bolster pillow. His thoughts went to where it was before Dara disturbed the peace and quiet inside his cabin.

 

"Now who's laughing behind someone else's back?" He retorted when he caught her smiling. Before she can react, they heard a loud noise from a boat nearby. The glare from the Streamlight blinded him for a minute. He squinted and recognized Marion and another one of his crews in a speedboat a lot larger than he was with earlier. "Marion! Marion! Over here!" He waved both of his hands to get his attention. He saw the utter relief that crossed his face before he navigated the speedboat to their direction.

 

"Lei non sa chi sono io." He said even before his captain could say anything. They both nodded suit. The entire yacht staff came from Italy including the one that takes care of the laundry. The girl gave the men wary glances.

 

"Don't worry, I know them. Let's get to the yacht." He offered a hand to lead her to the speedboat. "Did you bring fuel, Alfonso?" He asked.

 

"Yes, we thought you ran out of it."

 

"Get that into the boat then. We'll go ahead. Marion." He communicated with him through his eyes.

 

"Y-Yes." The captain nodded.

 

"W-Wait!' The girl looked scared. "Where are we going?" He found satisfaction by that. So the girl's not as brave as he thought she was.

 

"I don't think they brought enough fuel for you to get home. Would you want to get stuck again?" He asked. She shook her head and got on the speedboat.

 

"You'll please the cook." He commented. They were in the yacht's dining room, having dinner. She was eating with gusto. He can't find fault with her manners though. She’s a lot different from the girls that he dated before. To impress him, they will eat like a bird, afraid that he will find them gross.

 

"Aren't you starving?" She asked.

 

"Hungry but not starving." He retorted.

 

"Brutus ate my lun--my dog!" She totally forgot about her pet! She stood up and Joonmyeon caught her arm.

 

"Sit down. Marion got him and they are feeding him now, okay?"

 

"Oh. A-Alright." And went back to eating. All that he can do was watch. "Hey, why aren't you eating?"

 

"It looks like it's not enough for you." He snorted. Until today, he had no idea how poor someone can get. For a girl to go fishing by herself, it must be really tough.

 

"I can really finish this all." She laughed and he just looked at her, amused. No girl would dare to admit that to his face! "Anyhow, I am Jongdae." She offered a hand which he shook reluctantly.

 

"Suho."

 

"Suho. . ?" She prodded.

 

"Is that important?" He asked, not wanting to let her know who he is.

 

"Uhm, no. I guess not." She replied nonchalantly. "I kind of like it actually, an air of mystery." She beamed. And he had to laugh at her silliness. "Do you own this ship?" Jongdae remembered herself drooling over the yacht from afar and she wanted to weep when she got aboard. The whole yacht was sinfully luxurious.

 

"It's a yacht." He corrected. "And no, I don't. M-My boss owns this." He lied.

 

"Yacht my foot. This is too big to be called a yacht." She insisted. "Your boss must be really rich!" She exclaimed.

 

"Do you like rich men?" He asked

 

"Of course! Who doesn't?" She replied readily. "Where is he?" She looked around.

 

Joonmyeon gritted his teeth. Another one of that kind. He thought cynically. "He's not here. He let me use this for my vacation."

 

"And kind too!" She squealed. "Who lets his employees use their yacht for vacation? No one." Jongdae accidentally caught the time in the wall clock. 8:30pm. "Dang! Papa must be worried sick about me! Thank you for the food!" Kyuhyun wouldn't wait for her. If she's not there in thirty minutes then he would definitely ride the public ferry home. But he must be looking for her now. She climbed up the short flight of metal stairs to the upper deck while calling Brutus. Marion and Alfonso lowered her fishing boat that they loaded with fuel earlier. She jumped to it effortlessly and the dog followed suit.

 

She was waving her hands in the air while smiling brightly. That smile, that poisonous smile. He found himself saying, "Hey, siren! Find another job, okay?" He was leaning against the railings.

 

She laughed. "I will, Poseidon!" She turned the motor of the boat on.

 

"Would you want to sail with me?!" He yelled and that surprised him a lot. Was he really inviting her aboard his precious yacht? He didn't even invite Jinri for an overnight. Not even once. For him, the yacht was his fortress, resting place in his tiresome world. And to invite outsiders would be against the sole reason of him getting the yacht in the first place: be alone.

 

"Hmn. Won't your boss be mad?!" She looked like she was really thinking about it.

 

"I'll take care of it! What do you think?!" He asked.

 

"How long?!" She yelled back.

 

"A week!" He took an indefinite leave from the office. They just concluded the construction of a mall in Dubai and he's on for a much needed rest.

 

"I'll think about it! You'll be docked somewhere around here, right?!" She asked.

 

"Yup! Two days. I'll wait for you, okay?" He said in a normal tone. He was surprised that she heard him.

 

"Alright. I'll see you Thursday then." She waved once more and started to navigate the boat to the opposite direction.

 

He's not even sure if she'll show up. But he definitely would like her to. For the few hours that they were together, not once that he was bored. Though they bickered a lot, it was better than not talking. Jinri was a financial analyst from World Bank and like him, she stayed in abroad for years before returning to Seoul to take part on her father's business. An epitome of finesse and grace, she stands out in a crowd instantly. But not once that he looked forward into seeing her again. Sehun must be right. He didn't really love Jinri the way he thought he did.

 

Whoa, Choi Joonmyeon! So you're in love with that girl now? He mocked himself. Well, attracted would be an apt word, he thought. Adventure and mystery attracts everyone, right?

 

*************************************

 

"Call Ms. Kim over. Tell her to bring the Sin Tieng Seng file." His brows furrowed upon reading the report from Program Management. So the high and mighty manager's slacking in her job, eh? He can't let it pass. The report was lacking important data from their Singaporean distributor and Ms. Know-it-all didn't even notice?

 

"Sir." Chanyeol looked up from the documents that he was reading.

 

"What? Didn't you hear me?" He's irritated.

 

"Ms. Kim's no longer with the company. She left the other day. That report would be from the new PM rep. The management's back to Dr. Choi." Kaye informed him. His jaws dropped.

 

"What? Why? It's so sudden! She can't come and go as she pleases!" He tapped the table not-so-gently. He remembered the day he caught his brother and Baekhyun hugging. Not that it was illegal. Both of them were single but he can't help but be angry! That witch sure is something! He concluded that Yifan's the person that endorsed her.

 

He ended up humiliating himself at the annual board meeting when Baekhyun asked for his family to stay and do a panel interview much to his father's entertainment. Indulging her, his brothers asked impertinent questions that gave her a great way to display her smartass attitude. Even the serious Joonmyeon was giggling like crazy because of her jokes. All of them found her funny except from him. He closed his eyes tightly. "Then get that stupid rep here now." He dismissed Kaye at once. What would be the reason of her resignation?

 

****************************************

 

"We have to tell you something." Sehun and Amber chorused and Baekhyun knew it wasn't going to be good. First, they came in with a hoard of bodyguards. Quadruple the number of people that takes care of their whole domain. They treat Sehun normally but they render such reverence for Amber and Tao that she didn't understand. It was Minkyung's Christening and just as promised, three of them came.

 

After her father's successful recovery, they decided to celebrate and introduce Minkyung to the Christian world as well.

 

"You go first." They said in unison again and then glared at each other." Baekhyun's growing suspicious by the second.

 

"Are you playing games with me? I'll strangle you both." She scoffed.

 

"Can you bring Minseok-unnie in?" Amber asked as she's starting to sweat. Baekhyun's forehead creased but called her sister nonetheless.

 

"So, what's this conference about?" Minseok was trying to put Minkyung to sleep.

 

"Unnie, since you are entrusting Minkyung to us as her godparents, we want to reintroduce ourselves." Sehun started. "I am Choi Sehun. Choi Chanyeol is my brother." She looked at Baekhyun this time and saw, like slow motion, as Baekhyun lost the color of her face.

 

Minseok could have dropped Minkyung like how Sehyun dropped the bomb. Sehyun is what? She's whose sister? It seems like she's not very successful at all at hiding her daughter from her father's family. "Choi as in Choi Group? H-HanTel?" Now, that's a give away, Kim Minseok! She berated herself.

 

"Yes. I am not used to introducing myself as the real me since I was small so please forgive me. Also, I was in London to take care of Amber first and foremost so I really can't reveal myself." Her voice was asking for understanding.

 

"Take care of. . .Amber?" Baekhyun parroted. What the hell is happening? This can't be true!

 

"My real name's Zian. Princess Huang Zian." Baekhyun fainted.

 

A/N: I guess the cat’s out, huh?