How to Die in Someone's Life

A Blessing or A Curse

A/N: Got tied up with something important yesterday and I wasn’t able to update. Sorry! Also, xin nian kuai le! I hope this year will be prosperous for all of us!

 

 

It was five in the morning and Joonmyeon sat on one of the lounging chairs on his yacht's upper deck.

 

"You're a little early, Boss." Alfonso appeared from the lower deck, an annoying grin on his face. "Are we waiting for someone?"

 

"Yeah. The one who'll replace you." He retorted and Alfonso chuckled. He placed the mug of coffee beside him and he muttered his thank you.

 

"Where are we going after this?" Alfonso asked.

 

"I just want to stay around here and think. I am too exhausted." Joonmyeon became friends with his staff almost immediately and sometimes, he's able to confide to them too. "By the way, if ever she came by, don't treat me like your boss, understand? Also, call me Suho"

 

"Noted." Alfonso saluted. They heard the faint sound of a motor boat and a voice calling his name. He stood up. "Here comes the siren." He grinned again and Joonmyeon rolled his eyes. He followed Alfonso to the rear deck. They immediately saw Jongdae in the small boat with an old lady. His brows furrowed.

 

What the--? Jongdae helped the old lady on the riser and gave Alfonso a go signal to pull it up. She just stared at the boat and he can't recognize the expression on her face. Was it longing? Envy perhaps? "What the hell are you looking at?! Why don't you get on the riser?!" He yelled.

 

Jongdae marveled at the magnificent watercraft for a full minute before she answered. "Nothing! I just want to have something like this! Maybe someday!" She yelled back and got on the riser. She didn't see when Joonmyeon’s expression changed because of what she said.

 

"Are you Suho?" He heard the old lady ask Alfonso.

 

"No, Ma'am. That one right there's Suho." He said, pointing to his direction. The woman shot him an angry look before sneezing repeatedly. She walked towards him and without any preamble hit him with her bag.

 

"So, this is your stupid idea?" She scoffed. "If I get pneumonia because of this, I'll feed you to the sharks!" She threatened.

 

"Auntie!" Jongdae caught her by the shoulder. "Suho didn't force us to come here."

 

"I don't care. Now, where's our room? I want to rest." She said.

 

"I'll take you to your cabin, Auntie." Alfonso took her bag and guided her to the lower deck but not before he winked at him. Joonmyeon watched them go with amusement.

 

"You brought a one-man army, eh?" He asked her when they were alone, his entertainment visible.

 

Jongdae laughed. "Papa didn't want me to go unless I bring a chaperone with me." She answered shyly.

 

"A chaperone! How old are you?"

 

"Nonsense! I am twenty-four! It's just that. . ." She trailed off.

 

"It's just what?"

 

"My father's afraid you'll me." Joonmyeon's laughter echoed in the peaceful morning ocean.

 

*****************************************

 

"Didn’t know you’re a fan of expensive gadgets." Eunji said. Jung Eunji was Jongdae’s childhood best friend and a photo journalist for a local paper. She dropped by her workplace unannounced. It was a good thing it was off season and tourists rarely visit this side of the country or else she would be showing them around Mokpo’s key places of recreation. She's a senior tour guide for Sunshine Tours Limited.

 

She shoved the new cell phone that Suho gave her inside the drawer and walked towards the makeshift pantry and fixed her friend a glass of orange juice. "What brings you here?" She asked. Eunji would have to ride a boat to get to Mokpo and for her to do that, it must be really important.

 

"I just miss you." She beamed.

 

"I missed you too you little liar." She poked her forehead playfully.

 

"Okay, okay. I have good news for you!" She took a pamphlet out of her bag and handed it to her.

 

She perused the brochure and her eyes widened infinitesimally. "No. Way." She breathed. "International Photography Institute! You must join!"

 

"We, Kim Jongdae. We must join! C'mon! Your photos are better than mine!" The IPI will be holding a contest for photography enthusiasts and professionals alike. The participants should be able to join the exhibit that will be held at the Seoul Trade Tower. One should have at least five photos to join. The winner would bag a scholarship from IPI in New York and a hefty cash prize. "I crossed water just to tell you this." She stubbornly crossed her arms in front of her chest.

 

"But this is so expensive, Eunji-yah!" Seriously, she can't even afford the registration fee. What more the booth lease? She's from a basically well-off family but her chosen career won't afford her of such luxury. And at her age, it would be a shame to ask money from her father.

 

"You can ask Uncle. Opportunity knocks only once, remember? Besides, it will be six months from now so we still have time to prepare."

 

"But--"

 

"No buts! I should go now. I still have a story to chase." She picked her tote bag and her camera bag and kissed both of her cheeks. "Call me, alright?" And she disappeared. She leafed through the brochure again. It was their common dream to go to IPI. They can afford it. If only she had asked but since her mother died, she can't leave her father. There were a lot of offers to work in Seoul right after graduation but she's convinced Kyuhyun and Jieun that she wanted to stay in Mokpo.

 

"Dae-ah?" A slight knock on her door startled her. It was Naeun, their secretary. Since it was not a big travel and tours agency, all of the tourist guides share the same assistant, in that case, Son Naeun.

 

"Yes, Naeun-ah?"

 

"Emergency meeting at Manager Im's office in five minutes."

 

"I'll be right there. Thanks."

 

"Welcome." And she went to knock next door.

 

***********************************************************************

 

"Are you sure it's okay, Jongdae?" Yoona was supposed to attend a three-day convention in Seoul to represent their company for the annual gathering of tourism professionals hosted by the Department of Tourism. But a problem cropped up that Yoona could not make it. She just recuperated from a miscarriage and her husband won't allow her to spend day out of his sight. All other prospective candidates had prior engagements that left her no choice but to volunteer.

 

"If it's okay with you then there's no problem." She shrugged and gave them a bright smile.

 

"Oh, thank god! I thought we would have to pass. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart." Yoona hushed and hugged her.

 

"Don't be so mushy!" She wailed and rest of the people laughed merrily. She didn't have to tell them that it would give her an excuse to see Suho. They had to cut their vacation short due to a work-related emergency but he left her a cell phone and a lot of happy memories.

 

"Why did you come back?" He asked out of nowhere. They were on a bus on their way to Heuksando. They volunteered to buy their supplies for the week much to Aunt Jieun’s disagreement. Alfonso had to discourage her in joining them stressing the sea sickness she might experience again. She can't guess why she's so fond of the Italian third mate but hated Suho so much. It must be Alfonso's accented Hangul that she found so endearing.

 

"Didn't you invite me? Wasn't that invitation real?" She asked in return.

 

"But no one in their right mind would consider the idea of going sailing with someone they just met." He looked at her briefly and must have concluded that she's really insane when she smiled.

 

"I guess I am not in my right mind." She chuckled.

 

"That's not funny." He said, pouting which she found cute.

 

"Seriously, I know you're not a bad person and you're offering me a free vacation. Who am I to decline?" She pinched his nose playfully.

 

"Hey!" He did the same but with much tenderness. He pulled her close and she rested her head on his chest. "Sleep, Siren. I'll wake you up when we get there."

 

At the market place, she noticed Suho’s awkwardness in dealing with the vendors so she appointed herself as the leader. "You're so good at haggling." She heard him say.

 

"Of course. There's no business without haggling. Thank you, Ahjumoni." And she handed him the large bag of onions they bought for half the price. "What else do we need?" She looked at him and almost laughed at his expression. "He was carrying large bags of meat, vegetables and poultry. She's sure he's having a hard time. "Are you okay?" She fought the urge to laugh.

 

"What do you think?" His brows furrowed.

 

"You're the one who insisted in going without Alfonso." She reminded him. "Here, let me help you." She tried to get a large bag from him.

 

"What made you think I'll allow you to carry an ounce?" His tone serious.

 

She rolled her eyes. "Male chauvinist pig." She murmured.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing! This is heavy," She indicated the leather wallet and the list of the things that they had to buy. "Want to carry it for me?" She asked and sauntered to the next stop. He followed her with difficulty much to her entertainment.

 

"Your boss is a good man." She said over dinner. The meal was set up under the stars. Aunt Ma Yi dined at the lower deck for much needed heat.

 

"How can you say that?" He asked in between bites of sweet and sour snapper that she cooked.

 

"Who would let someone borrow such a pretty yacht? You must be an important employee." She saw him clear his throat before responding.

 

"I-I just finished a big project and this is my reward. Your cooking's great." He commented.

 

"Thanks. Fish would be my forte." She giggled. He still believed she's a fisherman. Well, technically. Their family owns a fleet  of large fishing boats and the fish goes directly to the canning and processing factory.

 

"Would you mind getting another job? How can you go fishing with Brutus? You don't even look like you can control your boat."

 

"I been using that boat since I was a kid and one day I can show you my boating skills!" She stuck her tongue out.

 

"Isn't there any male in your family? One who can do the man's job?"

 

"My father. But he's old and I am an only child. How about you?" She asked carefully. They've agreed they won't disclose unnecessary details about their lives.

 

"I am third of six children."

 

"Six! That's a lot." He must be really working his off to support his family. Raising six children wouldn't be easy.

 

"You bet. Everytime we're together, there would be chaos." He beamed and she can see how much he valued his family. She believed she had found the right man to father of her own children. "Where's your Mom?" He asked. He must have noticed the sadness that crossed her eyes by the mention of her mother. "Sorry."

 

She shook her head. "My mom passed away when I was twelve. I only have Papa and Aunt Jieun."

 

"I'm sorry" He looked apologetic.

 

"It's okay. That's a long time ago and she left a lot of memories to last me three lifetimes." She beamed to reassure him. Suddenly, he leaned in and she readily went flustered before she savored the sweetness of first kiss. It was so fleeting but the magnitude was so huge she struggled to contain her happiness.

 

"You'll be staying at the Grand Victoria Hotel. Jongdae? Are you listening?" Yoona waved a hand in front of her face and she blushed in embarrassment.

 

"Yes. I'm sorry. You were saying?"

 

*******************************************

 

"Going down!" Kyungsoo shouted. It was a good thing the hallway was deserted. She was running late for her favorite drama. Nancy's had catered for a small gathering of Han Cars executives and the clean-up took longer than usual and she was left with a few more Pyrex dishes to return to the cafe. She ran to one of the elevators when she noticed that it was about to close. She slid through the small opening and was stunned to see Jongin inside the lift. He looked as surprised as she was.

 

"Hey." She mumbled and managed a polite smile. "Long time no see." Several months had passed and he looked a lot different. She had been lucky to avoid Jongin for the past months until today. He was a lot skinnier and there were dark circles around his eyes. His hair was a lot longer and he was sporting day-old stubbles, too. He was leaning on the elevator wall looking very tired.

 

"Yeah. How have you been?" He asked while his eyes bored into her face.

 

"Good, good." She lied. "And yourself?" She looked at him through their reflection on the lift doors that doubled as a mirror.

 

"I've been. . .busy." Even his smile was drooping. She knew that was the truth. She heard that Choi Airways was absorbing a famous German airline that took a major blow from the global recession. "Is that heavy? Let me help you." He was right across her on the lift and he looked like he was really going to get the empty pyrex dishes that she was balancing on her hands.

 

"No, no!" She said frantically, too late to realize she was acting stupidly. "I mean, it's alright." Two floors more. Two floors more. She chanted in her head. His back straightened because of the panic in her voice.

 

"Oh. Okay." He gave in.

 

"This is me." She declared when the doors opened on the 9th floor. "See you around." She bowed a bit and bolted out of the lift.

 

*****************************************************************************

 

"Kyungsoo? What are you doing here?" Kyungsoo jumped up in fright when she heard Myungsoo’s voice.

 

"You scared me." She was holding her chest as she took a deep breath.

 

"You scared me more. What are you doing looking at the ceiling?" Myungsoo rolled his eyes. He was about to leave when he saw his cousin leaning outside the elevators, face turned upward but eyes were closed. He thought for a second that she literally just snapped out of it.

 

"I. . ." She struggled for words. "I-I was wondering if we have lizards in here. Right. That's it. Have you seen one?" She babbled and he gave her a weird look. Her knees were too wobbly she can barely walk after she stepped out of the elevator and tears were threatening to fall and she had to gather herself up first. And of all the people that would have seen her, why did it have to be her cousin?

 

"No, I haven't." Yeah. She totally lost it, he concluded. He shook his head. He could guess what or who she saw just before he found her. His fists tightened involuntarily. He got the Pyrex dishes from her and dragged her back to the cafe. There were only a couple of people left and they were about to finish cleaning up.

 

"Oppa! Let go!" She was struggling out of his vice-tight grip but to no avail. He handed the baking dishes to one of the staff and pushed her to the nearby locker room and left her. After a few minutes, he came back with a bunch of keys. "What are you doing?"

 

"Now, stay here and cry if you must." His piercing eyes held her gaze. "But promise me that after this, you'll go back to your normal self again. And before she can react, he locked the door from the outside.

 

"Hey! Lee Myungsoo! Let me out! What are you doing! Open this door!" She banged the metal door profusely and before she knew it, she was shaking uncontrollably, the coldness of the tiled floor numbed her senses, and tears were flowing freely out of her eyes. She was screaming from the top of her lungs. "I hate you! I hate you! Let me out!" But deep inside, she knew she wasn't referring to his cousin anymore. She didn't know for how long she was slumped on the floor, crying. The door didn't open until she was making nothing but a soft sob. It startled her to see her cousin with his eyes wet. He gathered her from the floor and hugged her. Kyungsoo realized that he gave her the greatest gift that she could receive at this time. He allowed her to grieve, to mourn for a lost love, to let everyone know that she's not okay.

 

"Feeling better?" He asked and sniffed and she laughed. It was the first time that she saw him crying. She didn't even see him cry when his father died two years ago.

 

"You're such a softie." She taunted.

 

"I am such a softie when it comes to the women I love." He said, rolling his eyes. "Look at you and Mom and Sungjong. You're all spoiled rotten!" He messed her hair up.

 

Kyungsoo had to smile at that. He treated her like a sister and he really had a tendency to give in to all of their caprices. And of course, they tend to abuse it. "It's your fault." She pouted then fell silent for a long while. Myungsoo just held her close but respected her silence. "Komawo." She whispered.

 

"No problem. Let's go. You will miss Hyunbin’s drama." He snickered and he earned a smack from her.

 

*****************************************

 

Jongin sighed loudly and muttered something unprintable when lift the doors closed again. He got impatient earlier and took the regular lift when it came first before the executive elevator. To say that he was surprised to see Kyungsoo was an understatement.

 

Call him a coward but he can't bear to see Kyungsoo again after what he did. Or without doing what he had to do first. Everyone went back to their normal lives. Sehun went back to London with Amber and Taemin, his other brothers were busy and so was he. But why in hell Kyungsoo can find a way to his mind even if it's occupied with all the odds and ends that he had to attend to for the upcoming merger? Choi Airways's taking over Lufthansa and he's having a full plate for the past months. Thus, delaying the reconciliation plans he had in mind. Many people's lives were at stake and he can't just turn his back on them. Hankyung and Siwon taught them that. But how about my own happiness?

 

He wanted to set the executive elevator on fire. Seeing Kyungsoo was the last thing that he needed at this time. He must admit that she's looking good though. Unlike him who can't even visit the barber. But it angered him that she didn't seem affected by the break up. He saw that she's doing perfectly okay. Her face was glowing and she was as busy as a bee. Maybe she doesn't even a have time to think about me. To think about us. He thought bitterly and kicked the door of his sports car shut, creating a dent but he didn't care. He leaned onto the side of his car, evading the original plan to leave. He can't drive in his current state. He might kill someone on the road if he forced himself.

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Minho, someone's here to see you." His assistant called his attention. He was inside his dressing room, removing his make up. The shoot for the GQ spread just wrapped up and he was dead tired.

 

"I am not in the mood to see anyone." He faked a yawn.

 

"It would only take a minute." A formal voice said and he saw Jongin standing in the doorway like he owned the place.

 

"Jongin. What a surprise." He managed to say despite the awkwardness that he felt. He nodded to his assistant and she disappeared at once. He threw the make-up remover in the trash bin and backed away from the dressing table. "Have a seat. Can I get you anything?" He indicated the couch in the small living room and sat on an armchair himself. The last time that he saw him was the day at Krystal's pad. If he wouldn't count seeing the billboards and magazine spreads that he had done.

 

He shook his head. "I am good, thank you." He murmured and settled on the couch. His glued his eyes on the tulip buds on a large crystal bowl at the center of the coffee table. He didn't know what to say. It was not as easy as he thought it would be. It was hard to believe that at one time, they were able to finish each other's sentences and was able to know what the other was thinking without saying anything. He took a deep breath.

 

"What's up?" Minho can't bear the deafening silence anymore. His cousin won't see him for nothing. The last time he checked, he hated him and he can't blame him.

 

"I just wanted to hear your side of the story." No matter how late it was. He saw that he was taken aback. After the incident at Krystal's pad, Minho tried to talk to him but he just refused to listen. He won't be able to believe anything that he'll say so he thought it was no use.

 

"I loved Krystal. I really did. And I won't say sorry for that. I am just sorry I hurt you." He said after a long while. God knew he tried his best to suppress his feelings. Jongin isn't just family. He was his best friend. But after working together for Paris Fashion Week, they became closer. Too close for comfort actually. And Krystal didn't make it any easier for him. She told him she was feeling used and neglected. He knew what Jongin’s family went through and to take advantage was the last thing on his mind. He was bent on avoiding Krystal like a plague until she said she loved him. And it was not easy to let her go after that. He was willing to fight for his love. Their love. Regardless of the people that he'll have to hurt. He was young and in love. As if that was reason enough.

 

"We really did, didn't we? Love her, I mean." Jongin smiled coyly. It was so cruel that they had to fall for the same girl. The same girl who broke their hearts.

 

"No doubt about that. How are you?" The smile was enough for guilt to rush over him.

 

"'Doing okay. I saw her in Japan." Jongin saw his face dimmed. If he had forgiven Krystal, he can see that Minho hadn’t. Well, he lost two people. The Krystal that he loved and his unborn offspring.

 

"I don't want to hear anything about that criminal." He gritted his teeth and the pain sliced through his heart. Silence dominated again, for the nth time. "Will you ever forgive me?" He asked after what seemed like an eternity. His eyes started to water. He missed his best friend terribly.

 

Jongin smiled and extended a hand. Minho's face lit up and instead of accepting the hand shake, he hugged him instead.

 

*****************************************************************************