Life-changing

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Uh, you can probably guess what will happen in the next chapter after reading this. So....can you write it for me? LOL!

 

An important meeting was to be held and every family member was to be in attendance. Sehun was not an exception. Luhan asked to join them through video conference though. During Yifan and Yixing’s wedding, the two of them didn’t even talk and Han Kyung asked her if there was a problem. Even if she didn’t want to lie, it was hardly her story to tell so she told her mother that nothing was wrong. She hoped that her brother will be able to fix whatever it was that he needed to. And fast. Baekhyun told her briefly what she knew but it didn’t explain much. Minseok asked for a prolonged leave of absence to travel before she took over the business. She was gone for almost eight months and when she got back, she was pregnant. One night stands were common among tourists but Baekhyun never believed for one second that her sister will succumb to such a promiscuous lifestyle.

 

After she convinced her sister that she needed to at least tell the father and go from there, Minseok called Luhan but he was adamant that he wasn’t the father of her baby. She tried to recall if Luhan was with anyone at that time but her mother didn’t mention anything about any of her brothers dating anyone significant. She just got back from Nepal when she found her brother in the brink of alcohol poisoning one night in his office and months after that, he wanted to resign from his post until Siwon knocked some sense in to him.

 

If they had been dating, why didn’t their parents take notice? If he was out to deny that he was the baby’s father, why was he in Busan? In Minseok’s house no less. What made him change his mind? There were so many questions but there were no available answers. Questions only Luhan and Minseok can answer.

 

She still can’t believe that she’s one of the people that helped raise Minkyung without knowing that she’s her own flesh and blood. She borrowed some books from her father’s study the other day and she got a good look at the blown up family photo taken many years ago in Alaska and noted that Minkyung look a lot like her when she was a baby. How did she miss that? Even the doctors and nurses in London mistook her as Minseok’s sister because the baby shared her eye color. She wondered what will happen if she introduced herself as Choi Sehun at the time. Will Baekhyun continue to be friends with her? She knew how her friend loathed the man who hurt her sister. The reason why Minseok‘s smile doesn’t reach her eyes.

 

She sat though the whole ordeal without understanding anything. She was glad nobody asked for her opinion about because she honestly won’t be able to say anything valuable. She got home from the party around 2am and five hours later, Eva was banging on her door, ordering her to get ready for the board meeting. She looked like a zombie and her mind was elsewhere. After the meeting, she wanted some retail therapy so she went to their mall and noticed that one section of it was closed for the exhibit. She remembered that she didn’t even have the time to appreciate the displays because of all the people asking for photos and signatures. It was early afternoon and there were less people milling about. She went from booth to booth and found a former classmate from Cambridge.

 

“I should probably take a look at the rest of the entries.” They were busy catching up that she didn’t notice she’d been stuck there for an hour.

 

“Alright. Buy anything that you fancy but make sure you’ll get one from me as well.” He was only half-joking. His photos were not bad. It’s just that staged photos of suicide attempts didn’t suit her taste. And she’s sure Han Kyung would throw them away in a heartbeat. She roamed around some more until she stumbled upon a very sunny booth.

 

She can’t help but smile at the very realistic interpretation of an old dock minus the water. There were photos of a yacht that looked vaguely familiar. Her suspicion was confirmed when she recognized her brother in a four by six feet portrait adorning one side of the wall. If not for the yacht, she will definitely miss him. The setting sun in the background masked most of his face, creating a halo over his head. With his shirt undone, he almost looked like a buccaneer. A handsome pirate. He was not looking at the camera and appeared to have been fiddling with an old wooden post.

 

The booth was empty save for a lone figure hunched over a desk and she had not taken notice of her yet. She scrutinized every photo until her gaze fell on a very familiar object beside a small aluminum bucket. With trembling fingers, she fished for her phone and dialed a number.

 

**********************************************

 

Your life, as you know it, is over. That’s what Sehun thought when she confirmed her suspicion. She threw random things on her haversack and disabled the electrocuted fence. She remembered the last time she climbed their fence and struggled to push unwanted thoughts away.

 

She knew running away was not the best solution to her problem but she needed sometime to herself. If she was careful enough, she knew she could have prevented this. But she wasn’t and now she simply can’t turn her back on it.  

 

Himchan unlocked his office and went straight to his desk. He usually went to his office before everyone arrived. He's an early riser and after a 5 mile run everyday, he’d like to start working right away. The whole building was deserted except from a few cleaning Ahjummas that maintain the whole building's sanitation.

 

He was slowly going through his emails when he heard a faint sound like teeth chattering. He stilled his movements to listen more closely. Then followed. His eyes widened and narrowed again. Who's brave enough to desecrate his workplace?! He opened the drawer soundlessly and took his Bersa Thunder out. At the same time, he recognized some movements from under his own desk! He rolled his swivel chair backwards and pointed his gun at the culprit.

 

"Get out of there and raise your bloody hands up!" He yelled.

 

"Channie-ah." Replied by a weak voice. "Shoot meeerrr. . .annnddd you'lll be sooorry!" It was a woman's voice! And Channie? Only one person dared to call him that.

 

"Sajangnim?!" He set his gun aside and crouched down to take a look at under his table. And there he found Sehun shivering from the cold. "Omo!" He lifted her up and transferred her to the couch and he knew instantly that she was running a high temperature. "What the hell are you doing here?!" Sehun was his teacher and mentor at The Farm. Yes, he worked for the CIA and being the Global Cool Foundation's Climate Change Division head was just secondary. Like this girl in front of him, he's a real prodigy and had finished his PhD while his contemporaries were still trying to graduate from high school.

 

"Turn the heat up first!" Was the faint request. The heat from his body might have relieved her a bit. He removed his coat hastily and placed it around her before calling the maintenance department to turn the centralized heating system on. They usually turn it on when all the people were in and most employees won't be in until two hours or so. He also asked for hot tea and blankets. After that, he went to the restroom and retrieved medicines from his first aid kit and wet some paper towels before going back to her.

 

"Here, take this first." He handed her a couple of tablets and a glass of water.

 

"No! I won't take that! Do you want to kill me?" She glared at him, trying very hard to keep her eyes open.

 

"Don't be so stubb--oh. Yeah. I remember. Mian." She's forbidden to consume alcohol, regular medicines and other things harmful to her liver and kidneys since she underwent liver and kidney transplants before. There's too much risk and she had to be careful all the time. He just placed the wet paper towels on her forehead when she settled back onto the couch. "But can you tell me what you’re doing here in the middle of winter in your thin articles of clothing? You're the one who wants to die." But she was already sleeping soundly as the heat was beginning to sink in. He sighed heavily and made a phone call.

 

"I trust that you can keep this a secret?" He asked the man in front of him and he nodded. He eyed the sleeping figure on the couch.

 

"Would there be anything else that you need?" He asked.

 

Before Himchan could answer, the sleeping figure stirred and opened her eyes slowly. "Sajangnim. . ." He called.

 

"Will you stop calling me that? Sajangnim or Seongsaengnim or whatever? I don't like it." She raised an eyebrow, her voice still hoarse from sleep and the man beside him cleared his throat.

 

"You're the boss." He beamed and she rolled her eyes and focused her attention to the third person in the room.

 

"And who are you, handsome guy?" She asked while rubbing her eyes and reaching for the glass of water. "Wow! Food!" And chomped on the pancakes happily. He was wise enough to order an all-day breakfast for all them. Even if it was almost dinnertime.

 

"I am Choi Junhong, Ahgassi." He answered politely.

 

"Oh God. I just told this man to stop calling me miss, boss, teacher, ect! Call me Sehun. And here, have some. Sit." She commanded. Junhong hesitated. She turned to Himchan. "Does he know who I am?" Himchan just shrugged. "Well, I am Choi Sehun and I own this building and I am his boss so you have to follow my orders and not his. Now, eat." Junhong sat across her and started eating. Himchan joined them soon after. "Bacon, eeww."

 

"Go ahead, sourgrape." Himchan chuckled and he earned a death glare from Sehun. She's not allowed to eat fatty foods too. She reached for the smoked salmon grumpily. "You okay now, buddy?" He asked.

 

"Hmn." A garbled response.

 

"What do you need me to do?" She slept the whole day and he was glad her fever went down without taking any medicine. He can't get her out of his office and had to send his secretary elsewhere so she won't know there was a break in.

 

"I want a cell phone listed under your name, a car without an HC logo on it, winter clothing, a laptop--the smallest that you can get and skittles. Lots of it. And oh, I need cash too. No cards please." While climbing the fence, she dropped her haversack and all contact phone numbers that she listed were there including her everything. She purposely left her cell phone so her family can’t track her. She nearly shed a tear upon remembering the reason why she left. She groaned inwardly and struggled to place her attention back to the matter on hand.

 

"Right away. But in one condition."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Have Junhong with you at all times." He said.

 

"Bwoh?! No way." She spent many hours planning her escape so her bodyguards won't be able to tail her and she managed to do just that. She reached freezing Jeonju at night and since there's no way she can go to one of the houses of her friends without being found out, she decided to break in Himchan's office through the rooftop. She was lucky nobody noticed her while she was climbing the eight-story building a la spiderwoman or she'll be in big trouble. "You know I can protect myself."

 

"But Yongguk won't let me live it down if I allow you." Bang Yongguk, her closest friend from CIA, was Himchan's immediate superior.

 

"I knew going here is the worst idea ever. Stupid me."

 

"Like working for you and Yongguk is any better.." He smirked. "It's like suicide, mind you."

 

"You still dare go against me, Kim Himchan?" She narrowed her eyes. "Alright. You," She looked at Junhong and he jumped up in fright. She turned to Himchan in disbelief. "Are you sure he can protect me if anything happens or it will be the other way around?" She spoke in Arabic so the boy won't be offended and Himchan chuckled.

 

"You've traumatized the poor guy. But I can assure you that he can protect you and he won't get in the way in any of your plans. Just like before, he'll watch you from the side lines. Fair enough?"

 

"Fine. Junhong-sshi," She turned to him again.

 

"Please call me Junhong."

 

"Okay. . .Junhongie. I do apologize for my outburst. And with regard to you working with me, you know what to do, right?" He nodded. Sehun thought that he must be a man of few words. "Good. Can you call for some more strawberry and banana smoothie?" She beamed and he went flustered. Himchan can't do anything but shake his head.

 

"Oh nan, keu nuga nuga mworaedo naneun sangwan obdago. . .Keu nuga nuga yokhaedo nomanbarabun dago. . .Na dashi taeor nandedo ojik nobbunirago. . .Jakku jakku shigani heullodo!" Sehun sang along and Junhong tsked. "What? You don't like Super Junior? I am just a bit past my teenage years so I am allowed to be SuJu fan, araso?"

 

"I have nothing against the singers, okay?' She found him rolling his eyes. "It's your singing."

 

“Yah!" Sehun whacked him on the arm that he yelped. The girl might look fragile but she's far—way too far—from being one. "Himchan's not paying you to annoy me. . .or maybe he is!" She gritted her teeth. "That good-for-nothing—anyway," She heaved a deep sigh and screwed her eyes shut. She turned the radio off and put her feet up on the dashboard. "If you don't want me to sing then you should provide entertainment instead."

 

"I don't sing." Was the ready reply. He put his aviators back and Sehun must say the guy's such a hottie. But not as hot as—Okay don't you dare go there, Choi Sehun! She berated herself silently.

 

"But where are you from? How did you come to work for Himchan?"

 

"Why are so curious about me?"

 

"I just can't help it." She beamed.

 

"I am from Mokpo and I met Himchan-sshi when he stopped me from killing myself." He answered like she was asking where the restroom was and Sehun didn't have anything to say to that. "I think this is where you should get off.” He stopped the car onto a curb and she got off. The car sped off and she walked the few remaining meters to the Park household while staring at the smoke the car left.

 

"Didn’t he say his last name's Choi?" She mumbled while traipsing the short distance to Dara’s house. Her ancestors were from Mokpo and she's quite sure that the few remaining Chois in the said province was part of her family's history. But it was not the appropriate time to be tracing her roots. She had to deal with a few important matters before the news of her missing came out. "I would definitely know who you really are, Choi Junhong." She said with conviction before ringing the doorbell.

 

********************************************

 

Luhan opened the door to Kim family house’s study. It was past midnight and he still had tons of paperwork he had to go through. His untimely vacation left Chanyeol no room for leisure as he took over HanTel for him for a while. Now that he made some progress with Minseok and his daughter, he thought he should get back to work. And setting up a new office in Busan was another task that took a lot of time. When he brought up the idea to his parents, they weren’t entirely opposed to the idea. His mother just didn’t like the thought that he’ll be missing their Friday night dinners at home. Maybe they were just happy that he was not as depressed as he was before when Minseok left him.  

 

He was given free reign to use anything around the house that will aid with his job. After he set the office up, he brought most of the paperwork at home so he can spend more time with his daughter. But he sat through a video conference for the whole day and his body was screaming for rest. However, since he was planning to take another vacation when he finally introduced Minseok and Minkyung to his family, he cannot slack off.  

 

He was typing on his laptop when a buzz told him that he should charge his phone. He fumbled for the drawer, hoping to find a charger. With no luck, he pulled for the lowest drawer of the massive oak desk to only find a few more nondescript folders. He was about to close it again when he noticed one picture in one of the folders that he accidentally flipped. He knew he shouldn’t pry but he can’t help himself when he saw it was Yifan’s picture. What would anyone in this household keep a photo of his brother?

 

It was an old picture and was taken candidly perhaps in a hospital—Yifan was wearing a doctor’s gown. Leafing through the folder, he easily concluded it was a report of some sort. It contained data for each and every one of his siblings except him and it wasn’t just the usual occupation, education etcetera—it was a report on their interests, favorite hangout places and relationship status.

 

He felt a painful tug on his heartstrings when he saw Chanyeol’s report. It was one of the photos that circulated online some years ago. Chanyeol dined with his good friend and classmate from Harvard, Natalie Portman, and the media made up stories. They followed them incessantly until there was somebody else to talk about. There was a huge X mark on his face and there were notes on where to train for karting and plans for a makeover.

 

"And who is this lady?" His mother asked when she noticed there was somebody else in the room that wasn’t a doctor or a nurse. The woman winced. She turned slowly after displaying a smile on her face. It looked so fake that it made him frown.

 

"Oh, I am sorry. Everyone, I’d like you to meet Kim Baekhyun. She was the racer who stopped to help me. And Baekhyun, these are my parents and my brothers, Joonmyeon-hyung, Yifan-hyung," He tapped the one busy checking the medicines on the bedside table that turned to her briefly and smiled.

 

"I am Jongin." His brother volunteered the information. "And that is our Luhan-hyung." He winked and smiled. He thought he might have just imagined it but her eyes hardened for a brief moment until she was offering the same genial smile.

 

"Nice to meet all of you. Sir, Ma'am." She stared at his mother for longer than necessary.

 

"Nice to meet you, too, Sweetheart. Thank you so much for what you did." Han Kyung hugged Baekhyun tightly and her eyes went wide and she swallowed several times. His mother  released her and guided her beside Joonmyeon. "Why are you leaving so soon? We do apologize for our manners, we got preoccupied. Baekhyun, it's Baekhyun, right?" She checked and Baekhyun nodded. "We are so thankful for what you did. My daughter told me you could have won but you stopped. And speaking of my daughter, where is your sister?" She turned to Chanyeol.

 

"She went home, I guess." Chanyeol responded.

 

"You look familiar, young lady. Have we met before?" It was Siwon.

 

"No, Sir. I don't believe so." He thought her reply came too fast. "And if you will excuse me, I just checked if he's okay. I really have to go." She stood and bent her body in half.

 

"Oh. Alright then. Thank you so much again Baekhyun. Jongin, honey, can you send her home?" Hankyung turned to Jongin.

 

"No problem."

 

"You don't have to!" She almost yelled. Both of them spoke at the same time and Baekhyun got questioning looks from the rest of them.

 

"I mean, I brought my car with me and I can perfectly find my way out." She was fidgeting. He knew that meeting his whole family could be intimidating but he still found it weird. "Get well soon." She gave Chanyeol a parting glance and darted out of the room.

 

"What did you do to that girl?" Hankyung gave Chanyeol a stern look.

 

"I didn't do anything!" Chanyeol said defensively.

 

He almost tore the paper. His hands were clenched tightly in to fists. His desire to hit someone or something was so overwhelming that he didn’t dare to move. He remembered the last conversation he had with Baekhyun. To think that he believed her. He knew what he did to Minseok was unforgivable and he will spend his whole life paying for it but Chanyeol didn’t do anything. He cannot allow Baekhyun to punish him by his brother’s expense.