Bomb

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Thank you for your understanding and well wishes. I’m down to my last injection by the end of the month and my dog’s still alive. So please continue to pray for both of us.

 

Jongdae was currently holing up in her hotel room—having declined Eunji’s invitation for a night out. The exhibit closes every Monday and she didn’t have anything to do but being a third wheel in Eunji and Inguk’s date was not an option for her either. She sat in front of the telly with two bags of microwavable popcorn and three bottles of Cass. She wanted to get hammered but the thought of nursing a hangover the next day made her swap the soju bottles with beer.

 

She was choosing movies from the Netflix menu when the door bell rang. Thinking it was Eunji delivering leftovers from dinner, she opened the door with looking at the peephole. Joonmyeon was standing in front of her. She almost didn’t recognize him with his day-old stubbles and dark circles. His tie was loosened with a few buttons of his shirt undone. His coat was slung on his shoulder haphazardly. He looked so different from the man she saw the other day. That man looked so polished, powerful. The kind of guy who commanded attention once he stepped a room full of people.

 

That man was also different from the man she spent days with on a yacht. She wondered how many personas he had.

 

She was looking at him intently and he returned the favor. Deciding to continue with the pretense, she cleared . “Can I help you?” She asked, holding the doorknob like her life depended on it.

 

“C-Can I come in?” He asked instead.

 

“Mister, I think you have the wrong room.” She said carefully but firmly. The scene in his office played inside her head like a loop and she can almost taste the bitterness in . This man insulted her like he fed her all her life and chased her away like a leper but she refused to do the same. Kyuhyun raised her better than that.

 

“Jongdae…I know you must hate me…and I don’t blame you for it. B-But please hear me out.” Jongdae was about to speak so he added in haste,  “You don’t have to let me in but please hear me out.” An elderly couple was on their way to their room and was giving them furtive glances. She let out a defeated sigh before getting out of the way to let him in. She turned the overhead lights on and turned the television off. She eyed her movie paraphernalia wistfully, pouting because her date with Chris Hemsworth was canceled.

 

Joonmyeon was standing in the middle of the room like he’d rather be anywhere else than in there. She sat on the bed gingerly. “Please have a seat.” She gestured for the nearby armchair and he occupied it at once albeit hesitantly.

 

Nothing can be heard for a few minutes aside from the slight hum of the overhead air-conditioning unit and the tic-tock of the vintage bedside clock and Jongdae was starting to get pissed. Joonmyeon was fiddling with his wristwatch and he didn’t look like he’ll say anything soon. “If you’re not going to say anything, please leave. I have an early start tomorrow and—“

 

“N-No. I mean, I don’t know where to start.”

 

**********************************************

 

“N-No. I mean, I don’t know where to start.” Without sounding like the loser that I am. He locked himself I his room for three days since the truth about his blue card was harshly revealed to him. He didn’t even think of the possibility of Jongdae getting that bottle Sehun threw in the ocean the night of his birthday. It was preposterous! Were they in a movie or something?

 

“Then we are wasting our time, aren’t we?” She asked, obviously annoyed now.

 

“That wine bottle on display at your…exhibit, where did you get them?”

 

“Does it matter? Look, I have no time to play games with you. Picking up that trash was the worst decision I’ve ever made.” Her voice trembled a bit and he’d never felt more of a jerk.

 

“It matters to me. I’m…I’m so used to people coming to me for their own benefit that I fail to see the good in them anymore. Then you came along. You’re like a breath of fresh air and I,” He swallowed thickly. “I thought I could let myself be happy again.”

 

“Being happy is a choice, Mr. Choi, and that shouldn’t be based on how you see other people but on how you see yourself.”

 

“I know. And I’m really sorry for everything. I was selfish. You let me into your house, you let me dine with your family and I can’t even—“

 

“I didn’t. I let Suho in my house. You’re not Suho. You’re Choi Joonmyeon. He’s a special memory of a distant past so please don’t ruin that memory.”

 

******************************************

 

“I don’t want to get back to work.” Yixing whined. They were on their way home after three months of nonstop travel. They took the road less travelled so they traversed the African safari, ate lots and lots of tagine in Morocco, made their own cheese in Denmark, pilgrimaged in Bhutan, surfed all day long in Papua New Guinea and traced their Chinese roots through the Silk Road.

 

“Then don’t.” Yifan snorted. They stayed in Ischia for a week after their wedding before they began their dream honeymoon. Yixing had fashion stints in all of the mega cities in the world and he’s used to moving around for work so he surprised her with a honeymoon she’ll never forget. His private jet was at their disposal so they even visited places not in their itinerary much to Hankyung’s entertainment. She’ll call them every other day or so to let them know about Martin only to learn they’re in some remote country each time.

 

“You know I can’t do that to Minseok, right?” She sighed as the plane taxied through the runway. Yixing opened the idea of doing part-time work as a creative consultant for Kim Enterprise and though Yifan was very much capable of supporting his family, he didn’t want to clip her wings and hinder her growth as a person so he agreed.

 

“But you have to keep your promise. Remember that.” He removed his safety belt before undoing it for his wife. Yixing rolled her eyes.

 

“How can I forget? You remind me every other minute. If I get twins like you said I would, you’re not allowed to go to work either.” She stomped her foot. Yifan agreed but he made her promise that she will resign from her post once she gets pregnant.

 

Yifan chuckled. “I’ll be your footstool.” Since Yixing had sisters who were twins, he deducted the huge possibility of having twins for their firstborn. And he’s very excited. And the pressure to have kids was looming above their heads. Martin was such a darling but he’s growing up too fast and his parents need more kids to dote on.

 

“You better.” Was the empty threat. An immigration officer came in to stamp their passports before they were cleared to go. The couple was expecting to see Yifan’s parents to pick them up but they saw two cars waiting for them at the tarmac.

 

“Good afternoon, Young Master, Young Mistress. Madam was cooking up a storm for your arrival.” Typical of his mother. “Madam thought you’ll need an extra vehicle for your luggage. And Hankyung was never wrong. They amassed twenty-seven huge luggages from shopping alone. Yixing bought gifts for almost everyone she knew and at one of their layovers, he had to call in a request for Aspinal of London to close their store for a day so Yixing can shop for her additional trolleys in peace.

 

“Actually, I think we need two more.” Yixing jabbed her elbow on his rib. “Hey! What’s that for?” He huffed.

 

“Max-ssi, I’ve put numbers on the bags. Please bring numbers one to seventeen to the mansion and bring the rest to our house. “See? If I didn’t take my time to sort everything out, I have to take them all out and pack them again.” Yixing was looking smug.

 

“Why don’t you write a book a about it? So we can replenish our funds?” He jested. The Lord knows he’ll spend his full inheritance if only it can make Yixing happy. He opened the car door for his wife and settled on his own seat. It will be a long evening. His whole family will be there and he’ll bet his wife will spend hours just to hand over her gifts.

 

“Are you complaining?” Yixing frowned. Ok, she might have gone over-budget a little but they will not starve just because she brought a golden bird feeder (among many others) for his mother-in-law.

 

“No! Of course not!” Yixing rolled her eyes.

 

*****************************************

 

“This is for you!” She took out a hand-woven haversack they brought from Peru. “I know you love these so when I saw it I grabbed all colors available!” Sehun laughed but accepted the gifts graciously. “Please hand over gifts for Tao, Amber and Henry, okay?” She gave her a paper bag full of carefully chosen knick knacks for Sehun’s friends.

 

If Yixing noticed that Sehun’s face changed by the mention of the Emperor’s name, she didn’t say anything. They were told that Choi household’s Ahgassi was nowhere to be found for days before she reappeared just in time for Yifan and Yixing’s arrival. “I will, Unnie. Thank you. Did you enjoy your shopping trip?”

 

“You bet it was a shopping trip!” They heard Yifan say from the bathroom.

 

“Shut up!” Yixing retorted. “Just finish your bloody business and come out. Dinner’s almost ready.”

 

“You’ve been working like a dog, Unnie, so you deserve all of it.” Sehun was amused by their childishness.

 

“And I didn’t have to pay for any of it!” Yixing cackled. She was willing to pay for most of her finds but Yifan threw a tantrum once because she was insisting to use her own card. She didn’t bother since then. “So, how are you? How was China?” They thought of visiting Amber’s family while they were in China but decided against it. Yifan mentioned in passing that Sehun was staying inside the palace and though Yifan didn’t say anything about the implications of it, she had an idea.

 

“Boring.” Sehun played with the fringe of her new bag. “I’ll leave you to rest, Unnie, Oppa!” She raised her voice for Yifan. “I’ll have Max call you once dinner’s ready, yes?” She got up from the bed and Yixing didn’t say a word about her somber expression.

 

**********************************************

 

Coffee and dessert were served in the den and Yixing happily handed their gifts when Luhan came in with Minseok and Minkyung. “Minkyungie!” Yixing gasped. Why were they there? And why were they with Luhan?

 

“Sorry, guys, we’re late. Heavy rain delayed the jet.” By this time, everyone’s attention was on them. Minseok was awkwardly standing by the door while holding Minkyung’s hand.

 

“Annyeong hasseyo.” She bowed. Minkyung copied her mother.

 

“Hello, Minseok-ssi.” It was Hankyung. Confusion was etched on her face but years of heiress training taught her not to say a thing. They met Minseok at Yifan and Yixing’s wedding. “And who is this beautiful young lady?” She smiled at Minkyung.

 

“Everyone, this is Minkyung. My daughter.” He could have dropped a bomb and get away with it. But he knew he was in for some emotional reunion. At least he was prepared.