Almost Perfect

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Just have to get this out of the way before we have a time jump. Please don’t send me time bombs or anthrax. FanXing and XiuHan next.

 

Joonmyeon lied on his bed and held the small blue velvet box close to his chest and smiled to himself. He can't wait to see her again. And he'll tell her who he really was and propose to her. He didn't believe in long engagements. He promised himself that whenever he found the right person then he wouldn't waste anymore of their time. Why should he wait when he can make her his right away? He just hoped she agrees. He sighed and reached for his phone.

 

"Papa, meet Suho. Suhothis is my father, Kim Kyuhyun." She smiled brightly and he shook the hand of the older man. Jongdae didn't get anything from her father, physically, at least.

 

"Nice to meet you, Sir. I am Choi Suho." He bent down to pick the large basket they brought. "We brought you some fish fry and fruits."

 

"Thank you." Kyuhyun accepted the basket. "I was preparing the grill when you came in. I'll go check it first. Get him something to drink, Jongdae and give Jieun some Tylenol." And he disappeared through the back door.

 

"He doesn't like me." He grumbled.

 

"Who likes you anyway?" She teased and he pouted. "He's really a man of few words and since he's a professor, he firmly believes that familiarity builds contempt." She chuckled. "I'll go check Auntie first."

 

When he received a frantic call from his assistant regarding a major project Choi Builders was about to start, he had no choice but to send Jongdae and Jieun home and head to Seoul as soon as he can. As expected, the old lady got sea sick again and she still wouldn't talk to him. He gazed around the house when Jongdae was gone. It was modest but it had everything you'll ever need. It resembled a western ranch house. The floor was made up of shiny large slabs of teak. The furniture were all of the same wood but in a darker shade. There was an accent rocking chair in a corner beside the floor-to-ceiling wooden shelf full of books in Sociology and travel. There was a wrought iron chandelier cast in the middle of the high ceiling and a wraparound railing above that overlooked the living room.

 

On the second floor, he can see four doors, two on each side and on the middle was a sitting/sun room beside a large bay window. All accents and upholstery were either lemon yellow or chocolate brown. Even the wall paper was beige with tiny yellow flowers. Even as an Architect, he was impressed by the simplicity and functionality of the house.

 

It turned out that Jongdae was telling the truth about her father. Even though he still looked wary, he was, overall, an accommodating and warm person. He spoke less though and tends to listen a lot. A total opposite of Jongdae who loved to monopolize the conversation. She was talking animatedly about their cut-short vacation.

 

"What do you do, Suho-ssi?" Kyuhyun asked and he was caught off-guard. Jongdae smiled in encouragement when his eyes flickered to her direction.

 

"I am an Architect, Sir." At least he wasn't lying about that.

 

"Why don't you get the dessert ready?" He turned to Jongdae and she disappeared to the kitchen, almost chortling. She knew what her father was trying to do.

 

"I am sure you have figured out by now that I raised Jongdae alone." He started, more like explaining to a five-year old. "And all that I wanted for her was to be happy." He was about to speak when he held a hand up to stop him. "When she asked for my permission to go sailing with you, I was really opposed to it. She does what she pleases but never, not even once, that she put me into shame. I know I can trust her. But we don't know anything about you apart from your name and that you are from Seoul."

 

"I know that trust is something that you don't earn instantly but I am willing to do anything to earn yours, Sir." He said simply.

 

"I think I have no choice but to count on your words, young man." Jongdae cleared before opening the screen door to the back porch where they were dining al fresco. He had this nagging feeling that she had been listening.

 

"Let us walk along the beach!" She announced after giving him a tour of the nearby canning facility.

 

"Let me get something." He fumbled for his small duffel bag and walked hand in hand with her along the beach. They ended up in a private wooden dock. The sun was almost setting when they sat on the wooden planks.

 

"I want to give you something." He opened the duffel bag and took out the latest Hasselblad from it and he was amused to see how her eyes widened almost comically. It was a 39-megapixel camera used by no less than professionals. He even called his cousin Taemin to ask about his opinion and to help him ship the camera in the middle of nowhere before the end of the week. The camera just arrived this morning and all the efforts were reciprocated by her priceless reaction.

 

"JESUS CHRIST! A Hasselblad! You've got to be kidding me!" She was watching his yacht intently the day she and Jieun came to join them. Her reaction was not something he liked but when he asked her, she said that she wanted to capture it on film. It turned out that she's an enthusiast and he wanted to give her something for her to remember him by.

 

"No, I am not. This is for you." She held the camera with so much reverence and he didn't even give her diamonds. He wondered silently if her reaction would be the same if he did.

 

"Y-You bought this for me?" She eyes widened and he figured that he should be lying.

 

"N-No. . .This is mine. I-I bought this a while ago and," He swallowed while thinking of ways to give her the camera. "I really can't maximize its features since I am not really that good in taking photos. A simple digital camera would be enough." He smiled.

 

"But this is too expensive! I am sure you paid a king's ransom for this." She fished for the leather case inside his bag and placed the camera back carefully. "I won't accept anything this expensive. Not from you. Not from anyone." Her tone was serious and he was disappointed. But at the same time, he was happy. Most girls would take it with open arms. But not his Jongdae.

 

"But I want to give it to you. Can't you just accept it?"

 

"No." The firm reply. She sighed heavily. "But maybe you can lend it to me?" She said in a lighter tone. She was now looking at his yacht anchored nearby. "Did you bring film?"

 

"Of course."

 

"Then let's set it up. I want to take pictures of the yacht. Can I do that?"

 

"I'll call Marion now." He grinned. He left instructions to the captain on how to move the yacht so she can take pictures in different angles. The sky was turning orange and there were a few shots left on the second roll of film when she stopped clicking and bending away from the tripod. He suddenly felt neglected. She turned to him, forehead creased and lips pursed.

 

"Take your shirt off." She ordered.

 

"What?"

 

"Hurry up, please. The sun's almost gone." She said, impatience apparent. She walked to him instead and held the hem of his shirt much to his surprise.

 

"Whoa whoa. I got it, I got it!"

 

"Now, lean on that pole." She was taking off a tribal necklace off her neck. "Wear this, okay?" She fastened it herself.

 

"What are you doing, Siren? Taking advantage of me?" He chuckled.

 

"Haha. You wish! Whatever you do, don't look at the camera, okay? Just do your thing." And she started clicking away until the camera signaled the exhaustion of film. Satisfied, she dropped beside him, a big smile stretching her lips. "That was fun!"

 

"See? Then just take it." He tried again.

 

"I'll take the films, yes." He sighed in defeat.

 

"Okay, just send me copies of the pictures, okay?" She packed the camera herself carefully and placed it back in his duffel bag.

 

"I sure will." She beamed. "I recognize your good intention but I just can't accept something like that. Please try to understand?" She must have sensed his disappointment.

 

"I understand. But there is one thing that I'll give you and this time I won't take no for an answer." He fished a cell phone from his pocket and handed it to her. "Please? So I can contact you anytime?" He made puppy dog eyes at her. He was making fun of her phone the other day. Calling it ancient without any video call capability.

 

Jongdae rolled her eyes. "Alright." She placed it in her pocket.

 

"I saved my numbers in there and call me whenever you fancy, got it?" He put his shirt back on. He hated to leave but it's getting late and if he's not home by tomorrow, Hankyung would alert the Coast Guard.

 

"Aye, aye, Sir!" She saluted and he grabbed her wordlessly. The feel of her in his arms was unreal and he wondered if he'll ever get tired of hugging her. Her petite frame seemed so fragile against his body. He let go of her as abruptly. He was afraid he won't be able to let go if he prolonged it for another second.

 

"I'll see you very soon." It was a promise and she just smiled. He jumped onto his speedboat.

 

"Take care, Poseidon!" She waved until he was just a tiny figure in the ocean.

 

He dialed her number and she picked up before the second ring.

 

I was about to call you.

 

"Really?"

 

Uhuh. I have a surprise for you.

 

"What is it?"

 

Can I say what the surprise is before the reveal day? He can imagine her rolling her eyes. He laughed. You'll know tomorrow.

 

"Would I like it?" He asked.

 

Depends. It's already late, let us sleep now.

 

"You're tired of me already." He teased.

 

Never. He can sense that she was smiling. Chalja. And the line was cut.

 

He opened the velvet box and took the ring out. It was a simple princess cut diamond ring in white gold. The one carat diamond solitaire made the perfect centerpiece for the modern engagement ring. And the approval in Sehun's eyes told him he made the right choice. She won't let it go though. He ended up paying for almost a million worth of jewelries for his sister.

 

********************************

 

Lunch time, Seoul Trade Tower. President's Office, Choi Builders International.

 

"Is Mr. Choi in?" The secretary looked up and lost her voice instantly. She just nodded repeatedly and ushered the boss's only sister in.

 

"Thanks." Joonmyeon mumbled when he saw his sister. "Did Noona call you?" She nodded and occupied the seat in front of his massive desk.

 

"Can I go to Japan while I wait for the operation to commence?" She asked out of nowhere. He looked up from the documents that he was signing.

 

"Do whatever you please. Just don't do anything stupid." He replied absently and refocused onto the documents again.

 

"What? You're in Grand Victoria?! Are you pulling my leg? What are you doing here?" He asked without breathing.

 

Whoa, whoa. One question at a time please. He heard her uncontrolled laughter. Truth was, he should have boarded the yacht yesterday to go to see her in Mokpo if not for some problems that came up in the construction site of their newest business venture. He was dying to propose to this woman and he wanted to see her again. Badly. Okay, yup, I am in Grand Victoria and this is the surprise that I was talking about. Gotcha! She chortled.

 

"But--how come? Did you come here to see me?" His voice was hopeful. It was an abrupt change of plans but heck, he's proposing to her today. In Seoul or in Mokpo, it didn't matter!

 

Aren't you too sure of yourself, Suho-ssi? She replied in a stern tone and he can't help but laugh.

 

"Why are you here then?"

 

I am here for the Annual Tourism Convention. He already knew Jongdae did not fish for a living but a local tourist guide and that they own a small fish canning factory and storage facility in Mokpo.

 

"Oh. And here I am thinking that you missed me terribly that you decided to stalk me."

 

Sorry to burst your bubble but I will only stalk GDragon.

 

"Is that so?"

 

Yes. Sorry.

 

"How about I stalk you instead?"

 

I think I’d like that. And she burst into a fit of laughter. Dinner?

 

He glanced at his to-do list and he almost groaned in despair when he saw that his schedule was full until the evening. He had to do something about it. "I'll pick you up at eight, Siren, okay?"

 

Cool! See you! And she dropped the call.

 

"Are you even listening to me, Choi Joonmyeon?" The witch in front of him narrowed her eyes at him.

 

"You were saying?"

 

"You're impossible! I've been talking here for ages!" She whined.

 

"I am busy!"

 

****************************************

 

Roughly an hour before. . .

 

"Someone's got a date, I see." Minjung, her co-worker and roommate, grinned. She took out her toiletries from the suitcase and a change of clothing. The convention won't start until tomorrow morning and the delegates were to gather for an acquaintance party that evening but Jongdae decided to ditch it and be with Suho instead. The important event won't take place until the actual convention anyway. "You won't join the party?" She asked.

 

She wrinkled her nose and smiled. "I have to see someone."

 

"Boyfriend?" She asked teasingly. She bit her lip not knowing how to answer. Is Suho really her boyfriend? But they don't have a formal commitment. She made a mental note to ask him about that this evening. She hated uncertainties. "I guess I am being too nosy!" She laughed when she didn't answer. "I am going in now." She said and entered the bathroom. Jongdae decided to unpack, too.

 

She was about to hang her favorite jacket when she felt something inside one of its pockets. She took it out and found the business card she found inside the wine bottle many days ago. She remembered the note that came with it and an idea popped into her head. She knocked onto the bathroom door.

 

"Minjung-ah. . ." She started.

 

"Hmn?" The muffled reply.

 

"If you found a message in a bottle that says he would take you to the ends of the earth along with a business card, what would you do?"

 

"I am going to throw it away. That person’s a creep if not a stupid kid just playing around." Jongdae weighed her options and looked to and fro the card in her hand and the bathroom door. She glanced at her wrist watch and saw that she still had six hours to kill before she prepares for her dinner with Suho. She rapped onto the bathroom door again.

 

"I am going out for a walk. See you later!" She took her knapsack from the closet before bolting out of the door.

 

*****************************************************************************

 

She'd been in Seoul numerous times but she wasn't given a chance to visit the Seoul Trade Tower. It was an imposing skyscraper in the heart of the trendy Gangnam District. It resembled two staircases in mirror image of each other. She paid the cab driver and sauntered to the building's main entrance. She looked around the hustle and bustle just outside the building and there were bunch of employees that must be going out for lunch. She looked underdressed in her walking shorts and sneakers. She took the card out and proceeded inside. Only to be confused by the number of elevators. She walked backed to the entrance and approached one of the guards-on-duty. "Anyeong haseyo!"

 

"Good afternoon, Miss. Can I help you?" He asked politely while tactically surveying her appearance. She almost rolled her eyes.

 

"I am looking for Mr. Choi's office." She gave him a smile.

 

"The Chois own this building Ma'am." He eyed her like she was stupid for not knowing. "There's the Chairman and his five sons plus a lot of other rank-and-file Chois that work here."

 

She sighed. "I am looking for this person." She showed him the card.

 

He examined the card. "That's one of the sons Ma'am." So the boss had a change of taste. He thought. The woman--or girl in front of him was young. A student maybe. It was a major building gossip that the Choi Builders President broke up with Ms. Jinri on his birthday. "50th floor." He ushered her to the concierge to give her an access card. "Please take express elevator fifteen to the 27th floor and take a local elevator to the 50th floor. His office occupies the whole floor so you can just ask anyone there and they can help you.”

 

After thanking the guard, she followed his instructions. Minutes later, she was gawking at the exquisite interiors of the 50th floor. It was a lot different from what she saw in the other floors. She approached the reception area. "Good afternoon." A uniformed woman looked up and gave her a warm smile.

 

"Can I help you?" She asked and like the guard, she appraised her silently.

 

"I am here to see Mr. Choi. Choi Joonmyeon."

 

"Do you have an appointment, Miss. . ?"

 

"Kim. Kim Jongdae. And no, I am afraid I don't but I have his card along with a note that I can see him anytime." She said, editing the message that came with the card. Now, more than ever, that she realized it was a stupid idea to be coming there just because of the stupid message in a bottle! And if this person will ask for that note, there's no way she can produce it that moment. She must have left that bottle and the note on the dock still. She should have listened to Minjung.

 

"I think it would be best if I'll just turn you over to his secretary, Ms. Kim. Just go straight and it's the last door to your right." She gestured for a long hallway on her left and picked the interphone to inform the secretary of her presence. She padded to the empty hallway silently, her sneakers made marks on the flush carpet. She stopped in front of the large oak door and heaved a deep breath before making a warning knock. The secretary seated behind a desk seemed to be waiting for her.

 

 

"Good afternoon, Ms. Kim. I was told you're here to see President Choi?" She smiled.

 

"Y-Yes." She bowed slightly. She felt more foolish that ever.

 

"Do you have an appointment?" She asked politely and she shook her head.

 

"I am afraid I--" But she must have noticed that card that she was fiddling with. "Is that the card that Mr. Choi gave you, Ms. Kim?" She asked.

 

"Err. . .y-yes." And before she could hand her the card, she was already lifting the interphone.

 

"Hello? Ms. Choi! Yes.--There's a certain Ms. Kim who wants to see him.--No but she has Mr. Choi's blue business card.--Okay." Moments later, a stunning statuesque woman in an attention-grabbing orange tunic was admitted by the door beside the secretary's station. She was awed by her light brown eyes and flawless complexion.

 

"Who wants to see him, Chorong?" And then she looked at her and smiled. "Are you the one?"

 

"Uhm, I think it was a mistake that I came. Right! I don't even have an appoint--" But the orange lady already held by the elbow. "Wait--"

 

"You're here already. Mr. Choi's quite busy at the moment but I think he can spare you a few minutes. Come." She dragged her to the door where she came from.

 

"Oppa, little Missy here wants to see you." Jongdae's gaze fell onto the person looking down at some documents in a massive oak table.

 

"Who wants to see--Jongdae? What are you doing here?" She was taken aback by the anger that his eyes emitted when he recognized her.

 

"Joon--Suho?" She croaked. Why was he mad? She looked at the card that she was holding absently. "You're Choi Joonmyeon?"

 

"You two know each other?" The orange lady asked.

 

"Yes." He replied sharply. "I guess she knew me all along. Must have gotten my card when she was in my yacht!" He snapped.

 

"You own that yacht?" She was utterly confused. "I didn't know--"

 

"Don't you think it's high time we end our charade? And air of mystery, huh? I was a fool to think that you're different!" He yelled.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." She was hurt by the harsh words. This was just a misunderstanding but was he so worked up?

 

"Oppa--"

 

"What?" He snapped at the orange lady. "Didn't she go through my things and got a card?" He turned to her again. "Now, tell me why you didn’t accept the Hasselblad? Were you aiming for a more expensive gift? How much do you want?" He sat on his swivel chair again and went through his things. He fished what seemed to be checkbook and approached her. "How much?" He asked, eyes in slits. He was writing on the booklet harshly and tore the paper with equal fervor. "You can't seem to decide so that's a blank check." He shoved the check onto her surprised hands. "Just don't show your face to me ever again!" He threw the checkbook aside and she was too stunned to say anything. She found herself running for dear life wishing that it was just a nightmare and that she'll wake up anytime soon in her hotel room.

 

****************************************************************************

 

Sehun wouldn't worry that much for her brother if he was just mad. But what she saw in Joonmyeon's eyes aside from fury was pain. Raw pain. She was startled when she saw the small crack on the floor-to-ceiling glass walls and like in slow motion, the small blue velvet box fell soundlessly on the carpeted floor after getting acquainted with the frail glass.

 

"Oppa. . ."

 

"Just. Just leave me alone." He said in a tone she can't recognize. "Please." He pled.

 

****************************************