Bloodline

A Blessing or A Curse

 

 

"So, how's Capt. Miller? Is he okay now?" Hankyung asked Jongin who just came in from an immediate flight to Quebec. One of their planes bound to Puerto Rico made an emergency landing in Canada when one of their pilots had a while flying. 

 

"His condition is stable now and the moment his attending cardiologist agrees, he'll be airlifted to Los Angeles to be with his family." Jongin answered.

 

"That is good to hear. I was worried when I heard the news. Good thing the co-pilot had presence of mind. That is very important." Siwon said.

 

"How was the ad campaign doing, Xiao Lu?" He turned his attention to Luhan.

 

"Not so good." Luhan responded honestly. "Taemin and I are still looking for the new endorsers. It's a good thing you mentioned it, Jongin," He called Jongin's attention.

 

"Huh?" He looked at Luhan, brows raised.

 

"Taemin and I are wondering if maybe you could be the other half of the ad campaign." He's hopeful. The search for the endorser was really getting into his nerves.

 

"I would like to but that project is due three months from now, right?" He saw Luhan nod in confirmation. "I can't do it. I'll be leaving for Athens in a week. I don’t know when I’ll be back." He said matter-of-factly. Reports showed that one of the executives of Choi Airways in Greece was engaging in anomalous transactions using the company's name and money. He had to stay there to make the necessary actions and monitor the company until it is back on track.

 

"Tian na! We're doomed. Buddha help us." Luhan dramatically clutched his chest making all of them laugh.

 

"I have a suggestion."

 

"What is your brilliant idea, Princess?" Luhan scoffed.

 

"How about," Sehun smiled like a Cheshire cat. "Yifan-oppa?" She looked at Yifan and everyone turned to her and looked at her like she has grown two heads.

 

"Why on earth would I do that?" Yifan asked incredulously. He could bet his whole inheritance that his sister was cooking up something he would not dare eat. Not in this lifetime.

 

"Why not?" It's their mother. "You fit the description well and it will save us a lot of money if you would do it. Not that we can't afford to pay anyone but it would be a boost for HanTel, don't you think? The CEO is endorsing the newest product. It only shows that we really are confident about it that we are not afraid to put our names on the line. Luhan and Chanyeol worked so hard for this. Do your part." When Hankyung uses that tone, everyone, including their father cannot and will not go against her.

 

"Alright. I'll do it." He resigned.

 

*************************

 

After she was given the permission to see her mother, Princess Zian entered the palace with four of her maids behind her. "Greetings to the Empress." She bowed in front of her mother. She turned to her maids and nodded. In uniformed cadence, they strode out of the palace and left them with some privacy.

 

"Have a seat, sweetie." Ziyi's formal demeanor had gone upon the exit of the imperial maids. She tapped the empty space beside her and smiled to her youngest daughter.

 

"Xie xie, Mama." Zian sat beside her mother and placed her head on Zi Yi's shoulder. "I just received the imperial edict today and I just want to thank you personally. I'll visit Father when the prime minister leaves." She’s genuinely happy. She'd been asking for this for she can't remember how long. Now, her wish was finally granted. She's pursuing further studies in London. One of her most favorite cities.

 

"You deserve it." Ziyi was glad that her daughter cannot see the wariness in her face. The fondness in her voice belied it all. Zian didn't know that she's being sent to United Kingdom for the fear of the emperor that she might be a target of negative plots against the Imperial Family. Her two other daughters were already married and her only son, being the crown prince, helps the Emperor in decision-making.

 

She was glad that the United States Secret Service vowed in protecting her all the time, without her knowing it. When Emperor Qingyun, her husband, told her about the plan, she was really doubtful about the whole thing and she can't imagine her daughter being away from her for so long. But she can't do anything about it—like she can't do anything about the truth that they've all been unwilling prisoners of this place.

 

"Who's going to be with me?" Zian knew there would not be any chance that she'll be going there alone. She's not that ambitious.

 

"The prince will send you off." Replied Ziyi.

 

"Send me off?" Her brother would just send her off?

 

"Didn't you tell us before that you wanted to experience the life outside the palace? Would you rather go with your maids and bodyguards?" Ziyi really hoped this decision would be for the best.

 

"Of course not! You know how I hate being followed around. But Father wouldn't agree!" Resignation was tangible.

 

"It was his idea to let you on your own." Ziyi came to the Emperor's defense.

 

"You've got to be kidding me, Mama!" Amber sat up in confusion and for the first time looked intently at her mother. Trying to gauge her reaction if she was indeed telling her the truth.

 

"That is blasphemous, Huang Zian!" The Empress feigned indignance.

 

"I’m sorry, your Majesty." Zian knelt in front of the Empress.

 

"Get up, An." She was using her pet name for her daughter. "Mother was just playing around. But not in the part where I told you that you'll be going to London alone."

 

Even before Amber could react, they heard the imperial guard announcing the crown prince’s arrival.

 

"Greetings to the Empress." Zitao bowed in front of Ziyi. "Princess." He acknowledged his sister too. "Leave us,  please." He asked the imperial maids behind him.

 

"I was looking for you and according to Lady Chung, you went to see Mother." He was referring to the imperial maid in charge of Zian. He sat on one of the chair designated for the male members of the imperial family. "You weren't lobbying for more shopping in Harvey Nichols, were you?" He asked his sister fondly. Though a lot of their extended family members lived in the palace, his youngest blood sister would always hold the biggest part of his heart. Though they grew to be very much different from each other, she would always be his best friend.

 

"She was just about to get to that part when you came in." Ziyi laughed.

 

"I was not!" Zian was defensive. It was such a pity that she was deprived of the smallest luxuries that girls enjoy like shopping. Going to the mall would be too much of a risk.

 

"Mother, I think it would be best if I go with Zian to London and stay there until she's settled." Tao joined the British Royal Army a couple of years back after studying in Cambridge University as part of the compulsory military service. That pushed his sister to bid her way out of the palace too. Which, of course, their father didn't grant. Not until today. Everyone in the family knew the reason why, except Zian. His older sisters, Ziqi and Ziyun knew as well.

 

"I was about to suggest that to the Emperor." Ziyi smiled.

 

"Some independence!" Zian snapped. Their mother, being a commoner before being married to then Crown Prince Qingyun, understood all their whines and gripes with regard to being locked up in a place, though beautiful, they can't help but be sick of.

 

"Hey! I am not staying there forever. I don't have plans of being a baby sitter." Tao retorted.

 

"Okay. That's fair enough. But since you will be joining me, we can talk about Harvey Nichols now." Zian beamed.

 

"I am doomed." Tao rolled his eyes.

 

********************************

 

She was overwhelmed by her emotions that she could hardly breathe. She just stared at Christian with tears flowing freely from her eyes. She thought that this was just another ordinary dinner date. A little special maybe because he brought her to Elba and he took her to a tour around the sea using the yacht that he rented in Marciana Marina. They were almost done eating the sumptuous dinner that was prepared on the deck when he popped the question.

 

In most circumstances, every girl would be swept off her feet if her beloved would go the extra mile to prepare a memorable proposal. But in her case, she was like being sent to hell and back looking at her boyfriend's hopeful face. How could she tell him that she would gladly accept his proposal but that would be against the law? How could she tell him that she's still very much married to a guy living halfway around the globe without hurting him? Anybody would feel betrayed. For the last three years that they've been together, Christian respected her, trusted her and loved her like no other.

 

With that in mind, she gave her hand to the person kneeling in front of her and let him slid the diamond ring on her finger. She then helped him on his feet. "Yes. I will marry you!" And she hugged him. I have to go back to straighten things out. He doesn't have to know about my past. What he doesn't know won't hurt him. I don't have to do this for Christian. I have to do this for myself. She thought.

 

****************************

 

"Martin! Olivia! Run! Run please..." She is getting weaker by the minute. She's holding on to her blurred vision and trembling hands. "Don't ever come back here looking for me, do you understand? Olivia, you have to take care of your brother. I'll look for you if I make it. I promise." She held the little girl's hand and she just got uncontrollable sobs from the two. "Now go! Go!" She pushed them to the direction of the dark alley.

 

"Good morning, everyone!" Sehun kissed her parents and sat on her place in the dining table. It was drizzling lightly and breakfast was served at the main dining area instead of the open lanai.

 

“Did you have a goodnight sleep?" Luhan had that perpetual annoying grin on face. A lot of girls found it charming but she thought it was exasperating to say the least.

"Of course. I sent the design to you and my immediate boss. You have to keep your end of the bargain." She told him. She proceeded to stuff her plate with all her favorite morning food. Three pancakes, two eggs sunny side up, lots of hash browns and asked the maid for an extra plate for her melon and ripe mango slices. Hankyung poured her favorite strawberry and banana smoothie.

 

"What's the deal?" Yifan asked.

 

"You finished it?!" Luhan asked unbelievingly.

 

"Yes. It was a very difficult couple of hours." She beamed. "Did you ever forget, Choi Luhan that I am an Engineer too? I was at the top of my class." She said arrogantly. It was now her turn to give him a smirk.

 

"Care to tell us about it?" Siwon inquired and asked the maid for another cup of coffee.

 

"Uhm, as of," Sehun responded, looking at her watch. "9pm last night, I am not your employee anymore Papa." And before anybody could ask why, she patted Luhan's back. "And Luhan-oppa will explain why." She started to eat.

 

"You said you wanted to work before going to London, didn't you?" Joonmyeon in his usual no-nonsense tone. Joonmyeon was back from Cairo and next month, the whole family will go to Egypt for opening of the latest addition to the Choi Hotels and Resorts.

 

"Say something." It was Yifan, looking directly at Luhan. Defeat was all over his brother's face and he could tell they would not like what he's going to say.

 

"Uh...ahm...I...what I m-mean is..." Luhan stuttered badly.

 

"What are you up to, Princess?" Chanyeol asked. "Did you bully Xiao Lu Ge again?"

 

"FYI, he bullied me into doing the GPS design those people he pay big bucks for cannot finish in the last six months. He assigned it to me last night by the way." She corrected Chanyeol.

 

"Give it up!" Yifan motioned for a high five from across the table that she returned. "You are finally back!"

 

"In exchange for letting you off the hook? Is that it?" Their mother spoke for the first time.

 

"To work in his office is really exhausting. Dodging death glares from all of the females in the building is not an easy task while juggling your work as a gofer for some twit who thinks I am hitting on my own brother. Kill me now." She said dryly.

 

Luhan was about to retaliate when one of the house help came running, the wireless phone in hand.

 

"What is it?" Hankyung asked the maid and took the phone she's handing her. Fear was visible at the young girl's face and inside her, panic's starting to build up.

 

"Hankyung speaking." She listened on whatever the person on the other line was going to say and they all witnessed how she instantaneously paled and soon enough, she fainted in Yifan's arms that caught her.

 

"Mama!" They chorused. Their father lifted Hankyung and brought her to the nearest couch while barking orders. Yifan ran upstairs to get his medical bag while Luhan got back to the phone.