Unanswered Queries

A Blessing or A Curse

"Doctor Choi!" Lia hollered from across the lobby to get Yifan's attention.

 

Yifan stopped and looked around. His bodyguards were standing in a distance. He saw a plain-looking girl in generic business suit. "Yes?" He raised his brows in inquiry.

 

"I'm Park Luna, Dr. Choi." She extended her right hand and shook his. "I'm working as a graphic designer for HanTel. I sent you a couple of emails about a friend who worked for HanTel a while back but I didn't get any response from you, Sir." She explained in a gentle voice but Yifan can discern the hint of accusation. He was taken aback. No employee had talked to him that way.

 

"I am sorry I don't personally check my emails. My secretary does that for me. Can you tell me what it is about?" He asked.

 

"As I mentioned, it was about a friend who, after three days of working at HanTel, was called to President Choi Luhan’s office and didn't return until she went to clear her cubicle a couple of weeks later. She was laid-off from work without due process and I bet she did not get enough compensation as well. She was not very keen into calling your attention about this but my friend is very young and I am afraid she'll reduce herself into poor jobs because it would not be good for her record to be in a job for just three days. I thought it would be best for you to know." Luna explained, her face not showing any hint of intimidation.

 

"I am sure my brother has a good reason. Thank you Ms. Park for letting me know. I'll take care of this myself. I am very sorry I am running late for a meeting but you have my word for it. I’ll talk to President Choi about this. Can you give me the name of your friend?"

 

"Of course. It's Han Sehyun, Sir." Yifan almost doubled over fighting his urge to laugh out loud.

 

*************************

 

"Hi, Ma!" She kissed her mother on her cheek and proceeded to the huge refrigerator and took her essence of chicken out. Hankyung covered her nose as soon as she saw the canister of the weird-smelling food supplement and Sehun laughed. After drinking a spoonful of it, she returned it to the fridge and wiped her mother's flour-smeared nose. Hankyung was kneading the crust for her signature chicken pot pie. The kitchen, her laboratory and the greenhouse were places off limits to the house help.

 

"By the way, I received a call from Cambridge this morning. They were just checking if you got the confirmation letter that they sent you and to inform you that they are scratching all the SOPs just for you." The Standard Operating Procedures include a video essay application, a panel interview with the board of directors and a psychological exam.

 

"Really? Aren't they afraid I might be a retard?" She laughed. When she filled the application form out, she answered it as truthfully as possible because of the single clause written on the end of the paper that everything won't be disclosed to anyone without her permission.

 

"They know you are Han Yi so I guess they are running after you." Hankyung pointed out the obvious and removed the pot from the stove and transferred its contents to a baking dish and covered it with the rolled out crust.

 

Sehun eyed the magnificent garden visible from the floor to ceiling glass walls. "Ma, would it be okay for you and Papa if I go to London?" She wanted to go back to school. She can't even remember the last time she sat on a classroom and listened to a teacher. Well, in a conventional classroom that was. This time she wanted to immerse herself into Sociology and Anthropology. She's giving herself a couple of years before going back to theater.

 

"You know we will support you in whatever makes you happy. Just take care of yourself at all times and study well." Hankyung smiled to herself. All her life as a parent, her children always managed to be at the top of their game. Siwon always encouraged all of them to hone their skills based on their interests. He said it would be a lot easier for them if they like what they’re doing. It was quite difficult raising six geniuses but she thought they managed it with flying colors. With bumps along the road maybe but it's nothing compared to the fulfillment that she felt seeing her children change the world for the better.

 

"Thanks Ma." Sehun smiled at her mother lovingly.

 

***************************************

 

"I am giving you the chance to have a graceful exit, Ms. Kang." Luhan said looking directly at the person sitting in front of him and Onew.

 

"For how long have you been doing this, if I may ask?" It was Onew, his jaws became more prominent in suppressed anger. They did not get any response from the manager of the graphics department.

 

"For how long have you been taking credits for the things that you did not do? My father already gave his verdict about this. You have to resign Ms. Kang or we will have the police you out of the building.”

 

**************************

 

"All employees from Design Division, please proceed to the Plebeian Hall. All employees from Design Division, please proceed to the Plebeian Hall." The message from the centralized paging system reverberated through the hall. The President called for an immediate meeting. All of them left their respective tasks and proceeded to the venue.

 

Luhan went to the lectern and read the announcement. "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. First, I would like to congratulate each and everyone for a job well done. The Sehun Phone Series launch was a huge success. Thank you so much for your hard work and unwavering support. Unfortunately, that is not the sole reason why I called all of you here. I also have a very important announcement to make. There had been a few changes in leadership a few minutes ago and I want to cascade the information as soon as possible." Luhan paused and whispers rose from the crowd.

 

"I want all the people here to know that Ms. Linda Kang, former head of the Graphics Design Department, is no longer connected to Han Telecommunications. She tendered her resignation an hour ago and the recommendation for her successor came from The President and CEO of Choi Group himself, Dr. Choi Yifan. All of her former tasks will be temporarily delegated to the other department heads. Ms. Park Luna will be trained by General Manager Lee and I and will assume the new position as Graphics Design Head as soon as she's ready. That is all for this afternoon. Thank you very much." He gave instructions to his secretary and headed out of the hall.

To say that Luna was surprised would be the understatement of the year. Everyone who knew who she was was looking at her, awestruck. Why would a lowly graphic designer be promoted to such a higher position? She walked back to her cubicle in daze. When she got back, she noticed that the maintenance people were already clearing her desk for her. When they noticed her presence, they told her that they were ordered to transfer all her belongings to her new office. She picked her purse and made a sure route to the President's office.

 

*****************************************

 

"Pregnant? What do you mean you are pregnant?" His tone dangerously low. He scowled at her through the video call. Luhan cannot explain how he felt at the moment. After four grueling months of being apart, he finally received a call from Xiumin. Part of him wanted to hug his phone. He terribly missed her. But the other part wanted to strangle her for screwing him.

 

When he saw her image on the screen, joy filled him. Oh, how long did he wait for her call. All his efforts to look for her had been moot. But he was ready to forgive and forget. She didn't beat around the bush. She told him she's pregnant with his child. His child?

 

"Look, I do not know what game you’re trying to play but I am certainly not amused." He gritted his teeth. He gripped the armrest of his swivel chair tightly as he restrained himself from throwing his phone against the wall. “Did the father refuse to take responsibility?” He slammed his fist on the table and saw her wince.

 

"Luhan...This child is yours...Who could be the father of my child? You know were the only man in my life." She broke into tears but he can never be fooled.

 

"Right tense. Were. I can never be so sure now, can I?" He laughed sarcastically. "If all you need is money, I'll give it to you. I guess I owe you that, too, for a few nice tumble in bed." He said ruthlessly. He was blinded by fury. He was not sure if he wanted to kill the man who impregnated her or kill her instead. "I'll send the money into your a--" All he saw was a blank screen. She hung up on him. Good riddance. But why did he feel so weak? So empty? He got hold of the night lamp and threw it on the wall.

 

He knew she was poor. Why else would she show up in his doorstep volunteering to be his model in exchange for free board and lodging? But he didn't care about that. He was initially attracted to her and after a few weeks of living together in the same house, what's bound to happen happened one cold evening. He was the first man in her life and he taught her everything he knew about pleasure. She was a very good student.

 

But there’s one thing he was sure of: he’s not the father of her child.

 

************************************

 

"Unnie!" Baekhyun hugged her tightly. Minseok threw all the things that she got a hold of, including her phone. All she could do was blame herself for encouraging her to call the father of her child. Three months ago, Minseok went back to Busan after months of taking a vacation abroad. She noticed that she's no longer the jolly and outgoing sister she knew. She would leave the mansion early in the morning and come home very late in the evening, spend the whole day in the office and work like a dog. Until Baekhyun accidentally found her puking her guts out one early morning. 

 

Minseok was firm on her decision in raising the child on her own but Baekhyun refused to agree. It was the right of every child to grow up with both parents, she insisted. And it was the right of the father to know the existence of his child. Minseok was very much afraid to tell their father about it. They grew up in a motherless household but both of them never felt there's anything missing in their life. Yesung never remarried and spent all his life taking care of them and the business. They look up to him and for the first time in her life, Minseok felt like she was a failure and was very much afraid to admit that. But their father only had forgiveness and love in him. He accepted her and the baby with open arms and left her the decision on letting the father know much to her guilt.

 

She and Baekhyun were sent to the best schools abroad and they never lack in reminders on how it was to be a good daughter, a good person. But here she was, pregnant out of wedlock. Worse, the father disowned her child even before he or she was born.

 

***************************

 

"Mr. Choi, I have Ms. Park, dhould I send her in?" Luhan was startled by the voice from the interphone. It was Harold, his secretary.

 

"Not now please. Uhm," He swallowed the lump in his throat. "I'm...I'm quite busy at the moment. Could you please redirect her to Onew’s office? Tell her any questions she has can and will be answered by Mr. Lee. Thank you." He proceeded to the mini bar and carried all the wine bottles that he can to the loft and drank everything directly from the bottle.

 

The next thing he knew, he was strapped into the backseat of a car and he could not recognize the driver. He was too dizzy to even give a damn. He went back to his much needed sleep.

 

Sehun pushed numbers on her mobile phone once she was in a stop light. After seven rings, someone on the other line picked up. "Oppa? Can you call the building security on your penthouse please?--Yup. I have to bring a dead cow somewhere else aside from home.--Yes. Please allow them to give the keys to me.--I can't. I'm driving. I'll explain it to you when I see you, 'kay?--Alright. Thanks. Bye!" And she ended the call. She threw her phone on the passenger side and glanced on her sleeping brother.

 

His secretary called her when he found him dead drunk in the loft. She found him in the middle of the mess he made. Empty wine bottles were everywhere and broken fixtures he might have knocked off unconsciously. He was bleeding from one of the broken glass. It was past office hours and Harold was worried that Luhan hadn't stepped out of his office since 11am. He entered the office forgetting Luhan's order not to be disturbed. Not knowing what to do exactly, he called her for help. After sending Harold home and nursing her brother's wound, she took her to the car and drove her to Joonmyeon's apartment that’s now in Dubai to supervise Han Builder's latest venture.

 

**********************************

 

"Going for lunch, Mr. Choi?" Corinne saw his boss stepping out of his office around 2pm. He forgot to take his lunch on time. Again. She saw him nod. "Are you going to Nancy's again?" She asked.

 

"Um, yeah. I think so." He replied noncommittally.

 

"Can you get the mango cream pie that I ordered for you?" She smiled fondly. Sometimes, Corinne could get favors from his boss just because she was twenty years his senior. He treated her like his second mother.

 

"You ordered it for me? But why?" He asked but a knowing smile crept up his beautiful face. "Araso. Thanks Auntie Corinne." He said, using the nickname he calls her when he's in a good mood and went towards the door. Corinne hardly sees him smile nowadays. Ever since he broke his engagement off. Or Krystal called the engagement off rather. She punched numbers on the land phone and after two rings, someone picked up.

 

"Nancy's. Good afternoon!" Kyungsoo greeted cordially. She was sitting at her usual spot in the cafeteria. She mans the cash register all the time. Nancy, her aunt, was the owner of the café and she helps her manage it while taking night classes at Seoul University. She purposely secured late afternoon classes to accommodate her job. Nancy wouldn't want her to help, she said they could hire someone for the job and she should concentrate on her studies but she insisted.

 

"Good afternoon. This is Corinne Yang from Mr. Jongin Choi's office. I just want to check if the mango cream pie I ordered for Mr. Choi last week is ready for pick up."

 

"Yes Ma'am, the pie is ready. When are you going to pick it up?" So the mango cream pie was for one of the big bosses. She knew that the whole building was owned by the Choi family and all the sons of the Chairman worked in the same building but in different branches of the company. She smiled to herself. If they would like her pastries, it's good for their business. Aside from helping in the café, she bakes all the cakes and pies that they sell. She makes it at home and brings it to the restaurant in the morning.

 

"I am not going to pick it up. Mr. Choi will get it himself. He is on his way now to eat his lunch and he will pick it up for me. Can you give it to him please?" Corinne asked.

 

"Sure Ma'am. May I have your company access code please?" The access code was a unique number combination given to all employees to allow them to transact business in any establishment inside Seoul Trade Tower without cash. It was like a virtual credit card. She just hung up with Ms. Yang when she saw Mr. Gorgeous slash Snob entering the cafeteria. What time does he go on lunch anyway? And why does she care? Her gaze followed his arrogant gait as he walked towards the counter. She saw Bianca wink at her before assisting the customer. She readied her smile as he neared the cashier.

"Good afternoon, Sir. That would be a total of thirteen thousand won." She tore the invoice from the machine and handed it to him though he was busy perusing his wallet for bills. He pulled out a fifty thousand won bill. "Keep the change." What?

 

"Thank you Sir." Now that she took a good look at him, he looked utterly familiar. She's sure she saw him somewhere other than Nancy's but she can't figure out where.

 

Before he can leave the counter though, "By the way, my secretary asked me to get the mango cream pie that she ordered. Her name's Corinne Yang." Kyungsoo's eyes widened in horror. Choi Jongin! How stupid can she get and not recognize him when she would gape at his enormous billboard everyday on her way to school and STT?

 

"I...Ah...I would just fix it, Mr. Choi and I'll just bring it to your table." She stammered. Great Do Kyungsoo! Just. Great.

 

"Kamsahamnida." He went to a corner table and ate his lunch silently.

 

Kyungsoo proceeded towards the kitchen to get the pie she placed in the fridge. Before she could open the metal double doors, she saw her cousin, Myungsoo, emerging from it.

 

"Eyyy, Kyungsoo! There you are. By the way, the mango cream pie tastes great! You should take Omma's advice to take culinary lessons." What he's saying was being muffled by his chewing. Mango cream pie?! She half-ran, half-sprinted to the kitchen. She took the disposable pie dish from the fridge and saw the damage Myungsoo made. Myungsoo was her aunt’s only son and he treated her like his own sister and she can never be mad at him. Half of the pie was missing and she only made one for the order and tiramisu for the café. How was she going to explain it to Jongin?

 

"You don't mind that I ate it, do you? I miss your cooking, really." It was just recently that Kyungsoo moved to his old pad to be able to concentrate on her studies. He took a canister out of his back pack and showed it to her. I took a quarter for Sungjong." He was referring to his girlfriend and Kyungsoo’s best friend. Kyungsoo cannot find her voice at the moment. She just nodded her head and gave him a weak smile. "I better get going then; you take care and don't stress yourself too much, okay?" He kissed her cheek and disappeared through the metal doors. Even if it was an honest mistake, how would she explain it to the customer? She dragged herself out of the kitchen and went towards his table.

 

"Ahm, excuse me, Mr. Choi." He already pushed his plate, indicating that he's done with his meal. "I think we have some problem." She fidgeted. "About the pie, it was accidentally eaten by the owner of the café." Good. Honesty always goes a long way, right? "We still have the half intact if you want to take it. I'll just give a refund or if you can wait unt--"

 

"Nevermind. I don't eat anyone's leftovers." He said arrogantly while standing up. "Even if it's for me, I was not the one who ordered it so it's no use explaining it to me." Before Kyungsoo could react, he already disappeared, leaving her in awe.

 

“You’re back. Were you able to get it?" Corinne asked her boss when she saw him. She noticed he was empty handed, his expression not-so-good. Did he finish all the mango cream pie? Was it really that good? Or was it bad? Her stomach churned.

 

"I think you better talk to them. If you'll excuse me," He went inside his office banging the door behind him. So the owner of the café was more important than the owner of the building, eh? He knew it was childish to take it out onto the cashier but he can't help it. What was it with the stupid mango cream pie anyway? He's being unreasonable even to his own ears. He focused his attention on the documents piled on top of his desk.

 

Meanwhile, before Corinne could pick the phone up to call Nancy's, the phone rang. "Mr. Choi Jongin's office. Good afternoon." She gave her standard greeting.

 

"Ms. Yang? This is Kyungsoo from Nancy's Cafe." Kyungsoo introduced herself awkwardly. She won't be surprised if the building administrator would close her aunt's business down tomorrow.

 

"I was about to call you. What happened? Mr. Han seems unhappy when he came back." Corinne would like to hear the whole story. Knowing her boss, he would throw tantrums for petty matters. Kyungsoo told her what exactly happened and she understood perfectly well. She ordered another mango cream pie and asked Kyungsoo to bring it up as soon as it's delivered.

 

"Sure Ms. Yang. Thank you so much for your consideration. I promise that it won't happen again." She heaved a sigh of relief.

 

*****************************************

A/N: Comment, subscribe and upvote please :)