Spider Monkey

A Blessing or A Curse

Sehun entered the dojo all dressed up for her regular exercise. It was a lone building located in the south side of the property, at the mouth of their private forest. She was half-surprised to see Luhan inside. Based on his appearance, he looked like he'd been practicing for hours. He was dressed in his Taekwondo uniform dripping with sweat. She watched as he gave the body opponent bag consecutive round house kicks. If only it could talk, it'll definitely scream in pain.

 

Looking at Luhan, she knew this would be the appropriate time to get him to talk about the drinking mishap that he had weeks before. She had to lie about sleeping over at Seohyun's to take care of him and when she woke up the next morning, he was already gone and he'd been avoiding her since then. She clapped her hands loud enough to distract him. She tilted her head to the side and watched him ignore her deliberately. She walked to where the weapons were being kept and entered her password. She withdrew her favorite weapon out, the Chinese wooden staff. Clug clug. She pounded it loudly on the dojo's parquet floor. "Practicing alone is useless." Luhan looked at her with affronted eyes.

 

"What do I get if I accept your challenge?" He asked sarcastically. He had no plans in going against his sister.

 

"Well, if you win, I'll leave you alone with your moping. If I win, you will talk. And I'll definitely hurt you pretty bad. Isn't that a bonus? That's what you've been trying to do, right? Kill yourself." Without further ado, Sehun launched herself into the air, threw herself into the wall, walking on it sideways using the staff to support her weight. She landed on the other side of the dojo in a long spider stance, the staff extending her commanding presence like a force field of protection. Luhan rolled his eyes. Such a show off.

 

Luhan walked slowly to the storage area. He extracted a bokken from it. He ran to her direction. Sehun didn't even move a fraction until he was about to smash her head with the bokken. He found the staff effortlessly blocking the attack. Before he could react, Sehun whirled around and swept her left leg on his shin while making blurring circles around her as she turned and twisted her staff. She was twenty yards away from him in a second.

 

"I think...I'm...a little...handicapped. I don't know…Kung Fu." He said while getting up, panting and wincing in pain.

 

Sehun raised her chin arrogantly then threw the staff carelessly aside. She gave her a Cheshire smile before she assaulted him, giving him chopping down motions in increasing intensity. He’d have to stop thinking that she was his sister or he will definitely be digging his own grave inside this stupid dojo. He set himself afloat but before his feet touch her, she dodged it by jumping and Luhan could swear she stayed suspended in the air for seconds. He attacked her with the bokken that he almost forgot he was still holding and she was able to dodge the first but not the second blow. She panted holding her left shoulder. Luhan gave her a side-snap kick on the stomach but she retaliated by giving him a chest piercing kick doubled with left and right hooking punches. Before the pain could register, he's on his back on the floor, Sehun's right foot pressing lightly on his neck. When he tried to move, the pressure just increased.

 

"Get off me, you rat!" Her foot moved ever so smoothly, pressing on his throat, making him cough.

 

"What did you say?" She smiled. "Now, you are going to tell me what your problem is or I'm going to tell Papa you scared Harold to death weeks ago." She removed her foot on Luhan's neck and helped him up. She wiped the drop of blood at the corner of his lip. They sat on one of the bamboo benches on the side of the Dojo.

 

"I-I can't tell." Luhan struggled. The ache that he felt had got nothing to do with the punches and kicks that he received. It's beyond physical explanation.

 

"You can't or you won't? She asked.

 

"I won't and I can't." He answered truthfully. She'll know if he lied. Aside from Xiumin, Sehun is the only person who could penetrate the facade that he, most of the time, show to people.

 

"Don't you trust your sister?" She probed more. She won't give up the fight easily.

 

"I know you. You'll do something. And I do not want you to do anything! I want to be left alone!" He yelled and ran out of the dojo towards the forest, barefoot.

 

************************************

 

"Your boyfriend is here." Bianca whispered in her ear. Her brows furrowed when she saw Jongin approaching the counter. He's not alone though. Behind him were two extremely handsome guys that were awkwardly entering the cafe. It's lunchtime and there were only few vacant tables around. Some of the patrons' heads jerked in attention as they noticed who just joined them for lunch. Ugh! She schooled her expression as they neared the cashier. She took notice that Jongin was carrying two plates on his tray. The tallest approached, his gums showing as he smiled.

 

"Hello. How much would it be?"

 

"That would be eighteen thousand won, Sir." Jongin was looking at her like he had no care in the world. The other one with fair skin and huge ears was trying hard not to laugh. The tallest one was watching them amusedly.

 

"Here. Keep the change." Yifan handed her a fifty-thousand won bill.

 

Whoa! They must be family. She thought. Like Jongin, this one loved to show off too. She fought her urge to snort. "I'm sorry I cannot accept this. The change is even bigger than your bill." She handed him the change.

 

"Oh. It's okay really." Yifan insisted.

 

Before Kyungsoo could react, an enchanting girl with a fastness of a gazelle entered and dashed to the counter towards the guys. "Hey." She panted while holding her left chest like her heart's going to burst from it.

 

"Where's the fire?" Yifan asked but the girl's attention was no longer with them but on the pastry display rack. "Wah! Cakes! Hmn.” She turned to Kyungsoo, “I'll have a slice of each flavor please." It was a Monday and she made seven cake flavors throughout the weekend. "And give them each a slice of tiramisu, please." She looked at the girl like she had grown two heads but followed nonetheless. But instead of giving her ten slices, she gave her nine. She brought it to the table where they were sitting. She put the two trays down and the girl gave her a weird look.

 

"Uhm," She saw her look at her name plate. "Kyungsoo-unnie," She smiled. "I believe I asked for four slices of tiramisu." She smiled again. She can't be mad at this girl even if she's somewhat related to Jongin.

 

"You did." Kyungsoo returned the smile. "But I believe someone won't be eating it anyway so it will be a blatant waste of resources." She replied. The girl stared at her in disbelief. Chanyeol cannot suppress his smile anymore. In Yifan's face was absolute confusion. Surely, this girl doesn't know who she's talking to, does she? Yifan thought. Jongin found his shoelaces more interesting at the moment.

 

"Who would that—“

 

"I am sorry, okay? It was meant as a joke really. I didn't mean to offend you." She just stared at him awestruck. Did I hear that correctly?! But Jongin's still as mighty as ever. He didn't even look like he was sorry at all.

 

When she finally found her voice, "But you did offend me just the same, Mr. Choi. In more ways than one. I'm sorry I'm not the kind of person who forgets easily." She turned to the girl again. "If you need anything, I'll just be at the counter, Ma'am."

 

Deafening silence dominated at the table for long minutes. Yifan, Sehun and Chanyeol were enjoying the meal and not minding Jongin at all. They knew their brother too well to react, especially at this time. He'll definitely be enraged in the littlest of comments.

 

"Food here is quite good." Yifan said. "Can I have some of the pistachio cake?" He indicated his fork at the green pastry.

 

"No!" She said vehemently while making faces at Yifan.

 

"You are a pig, Choi Sehun." He stuck his tongue out. "Eh, Jongin, your food is getting cold and we still have to get back to work.

 

"I just lost my appetite." Jongin sighed.

 

"There are a lot of starving people in this world." Jongin sighed again but picked his fork and knife to start eating.

 

Kyungsoo was trying very hard not to look at their table. Jongin's really getting on her nerves. They were all bunch of arrogant spoiled rich kids! Excuse me? You were rude, too. Said the rational part of her. To think that she was talking to the owners of the building. They wouldn't lift a finger and Nancy's would be doomed. It was so frustrating. Maybe her aunt was correct. She shouldn't be working and she should concentrate on her studies instead. Yes. That would be the greatest idea. She wouldn't risk her aunt's business and she won't be able to see Jongin or his family.

 

They were waiting for the executive lift when Yifan cannot restrain himself anymore. "So, what was that all about?" He didn't have to look at his brother to know how disturbed he was.

 

Jongin did not know how to answer that question. He will definitely get a tongue-lashing especially from his sister if they ever knew what happened. "It was just a misunderstanding." The lift came and he sighed in relief when they seemed to let it go.

 

******************************************

 

When Yifan was called to his father’s office, he didn’t really think much of it. Although Siwon was mostly up and about, visiting their businesses abroad and spending time with their mother, he’d usually round them up for a quick update of the company and a few drinks whenever he’s around. But he was not expecting to see his mother with him when he entered the spacious office. Their grim faces said it won’t be a conversation he’d like.

 

“Have a seat, Choi Yifan.” He gulped. It was almost always a bad thing when she uses his full name.

“Is there something wrong?” He just finished reading the summary of their company standing and Choi Group was unbeatable as ever. What could possibly go wrong that would merit his mother’s presence?

 

“Explain. And explain it good.” Hankyung slid a manila envelope across his father’s table. Why was he not surprised to see a certified copy of his and Yixing’s marriage contract at all? Actually, he was surprised it took them seven years to discover this.

 

“Mama…Appa—“

 

“This is so irresponsible of you!” Hankyung was yelling, her fist pounding the table harshly.

 

“Kyung-ah, let him explain like you said you would.” He held her hands against his chest. She was sobbing and he pulled her closer to him, murmuring things against her tummy.

 

“You didn’t even think of your father! And Yixing, why did you let her leave right after you married her? Is marriage a joke to you? Do you think people marry for fun?” Her tone was low but scathing and it hurt him more to see that he was causing his mother distress. 

 

“A divorce case was filed in a local court in Daegu.”

 

“Appa, Mama, I am trying to…work things out. We are trying to work things out. Please let me handle this alone.” It was a lie but he didn’t want to set his mother off more.

 

“Let you handle it alone? Are you kidding me? You had seven long years to fix whatever it was!”

 

“Han Geng.” He can’t even remember the last time his father used that tone. He was the most diplomatic person he knew. “We cannot resolve this if you’re going to be like this. We didn’t raise him to do things rashly.” Siwon turned to him, “Yifan-ah, please bring Yixing at home this Friday. Your brothers and I would love to meet her.” He nodded reluctantly, head whirring on how to tell Yixing she’d have to be there or Hankyung will disown Yifan.

***************************************

 

“You spoil them too much.” Siwon sat his wife in his lap; her head was resting again his chest.

 

“No, I don’t.” He caressed her head and sniffed her hair. His desire for this woman didn’t even diminish through the years. She was still the most beautiful woman he ever laid his eyes on. “I just know what they’re capable of and let them decide on their own. I know you’re their mother but you’d have to let them go someday.”

 

The silence stretched for a long while. But Siwon was content just being like this. “Thank you for loving Yifan and Luhan like your own.”

 

Hankyung was a single mother of two boys and the youngest female CEO in Asia at that time. The East Asian Business Summit was held in Shanghai and Siwon was mesmerized of the woman who owned the podium like she belonged there and nowhere else. He followed her like a puppy and she was wary of the handsome foreigner. Good looking guys were nothing but trouble. How did she end up raising two kids alone anyway? But Siwon was smart. When he sensed he had limited chances with the fledgling, he climbed the nest instead and made friends with the eagle.

 

Han Xin Lei was a ruthless businessman and had raised Hankyung to be tough. She was an only child and he didn’t have much of a choice but let her takeover the business. When his daughter got pregnant with Yifan, he’d never let her marry the bastard. They cohabitated but Xin Lei would not allow Yifan’s father to have any right to the family business he built from scratch. He turned out he was right all along when the bastard died in a vehicular accident with another woman while Hankyung was pregnant with Luhan.

 

When this young man introduced himself to him in one the gatherings he attended, he didn’t think much of it. South Korea was a thriving hub of business and Koreans mostly wanted to penetrate the Chinese market. But when he found him in his living room, playing with his grandsons, he piqued his interest. Of course he’d like to marry his daughter off someday—to a Chinese man preferably—but this person wasn’t half bad. And the Choi family’s stakes at real estate, machinery, hotels and broadcasting were huge plus.

 

Hankyung’s defenses were becoming weak but she didn’t want her marriage to be just another business deal. If Siwon was in his right mind, he’d look for a more suitable wife—not someone who had extra baggage. With his looks and wealth, he can marry whomever he’d like. But he was a relentless human being and her father won’t let her decide for her self. After an elaborate ceremony in China, he swept her away to Korea, made her breakfast in bed, danced Luhan to sleep and helped Yifan with his homework. All of these while juggling his duties as an heir to a huge business empire. It took her a year to realize that this man was not going anywhere and let her guard down. And she’d been nothing but happy ever since.

 

Shortly after Joonmyeon was born, her father passed away. She had no choice but to go back to China and take care of the business. Siwon stepped up and he’d been doing the work she was supposed to be doing until two years ago—when Yifan was finally  ready to take care of Choi Group.

 

“They’re mine, Kyung-ah. We may not have the same DNA but they’re certainly my sons as much as they’re yours. And I love them as much as I love the others.”

 

“You’re kidding! You favor Yifan the most!” The gentle rumble of his laughter soothed her. “Please tell me he’ll be okay.” She said after the comfortable silence fell amongst them again. 

 

“He will be. He will be.” He said, pulling her even closer. “We will be here for him.”

 

********************************

 

A/N: I hope this explains why Yifan and Luhan have Chinese names and a Korean last name. And I hope this is a little lighter that the last chapter. Please tell me what you think! Kamsahamnida!