Bonus Chapter

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Since our tickets to New York didn't arrive in time for the Rachael Ray show, Sehunnie sent us a transcribed version of it :)

 

"And now, for our surprise guest, nobody thought that we'll be able to get her but miracles are real afterall and she's here! Please welcome, our favorite author and playwright, Sehun Choi!" Sehun appeared from the makeshift elevator and waved to the audience who gave her a standing ovation. She was wearing her signature white long-sleeved button down shirt, tight jeans and Jimmy Choo stilletos. "Oh my! I am so thrilled to have you here! Thank you so much for squeezing it in your crazy schedule." She glammed and indicated the seat on her dining table after kissing both of her cheeks.

 

"I thank you for having me here! And I've been telling Eva, she's my guardian angel," She laughed. "To make time for this so here I am!" She slumped on one of the dining chairs, adjacent the host's.

 

"Now, tell us something about Under Your Nose." Rachael Ray looked at her with her inquisitive eyes. She readied herself.

 

"Well, it's my comeback stage play after going on hiatus for almost four long years. It's been ages since Ad Astra and I really missed theater so much. But a lot of things happened lately and I was not able to get back to it until few months ago so. . .there." She looked at the audience briefly.

 

"Speaking of hiatus, can you tell us why you stopped writing plays and books suddenly?" Rachael asked, her eyes mirrored curiousity.

 

She took a deep breath. "Let's just say that I had an immersion. It took three years and then I got back in time for the release of Kathmandu. That's my first book after the extended vacation." She smiled.

 

"We really wish you the best of luck with regard to all of your endeavors. Especially the Global Cool Foundation." She looked at the audience. "Yours truly has been an active member since eight months ago. And I really am very happy about it. I encourage you to sign up and be of help. In your own little way."

 

"Thank you Rachael and thank you so much for all of the people who support Global Cool. Especially to those who doesn't have much but still willing to share." She stood and bowed in front of the camera. "Like how we say it in Korean, kamsahamnida."

 

"You're very much welcome. Anyway, you studied culinary arts, didn't you?"

 

"I did." She laughed.

 

"Would you cook for us?" She asked in skeptic humour.

 

"Absolutely." She stood up and the audience cheered. "What are we cooking today?" She asked.

 

"You will decide. We will go visit the pantry and shop," Rachael made air quotes for the word shop. "For ingredients. How's that sound?" The audience gave them a round of applause.

 

"Great!" With cameras following, they went backstage to the Food Network kitchens and grabbed some ingredients. Her basket was full of ingredients when they went back to the main studio. "I am making a lamb and cauliflower canelloni. Can I do that?" She asked.

 

"Have it your way, Honey, and we'll be chatting away while you cook. Can you multitask?" Rachael asked.

 

"You bet! I need to. Most of time!" She laughed and started cutting the florets. "We just have to heat a nonstick pan and put the ground lean lamb meat and let it brown while I cut the florets. Can you help me out?"

 

"No, I can't." Rachael giggled. "'Cause we have a segment here for our female guests. The What's in Your Handbag game!" The audience cheered.

 

"Oh no!" Sehun went flustered. "That's why the PA asked me to bring my purse with me!" She laughed. "Alright! Open it at your own risk then."

 

"Are there any snakes in here?"

 

"There might be." Emphasizing the might.

 

"I guess I am ready." She clapped once and grabbed the bag from the table. "While you are cooking, I'll ransack your bag and you'll watch."

 

"Whatever suits you, Rachael." She beamed.

 

"Okay," She sighed. "The bag is The B bag from Fendi. Is that right?" She looked at her for confirmation while holding the white leather bag.

 

"Uhuh. I call that my Kathmandu bag. After it (Kathmandu) became number one in the New York Times bestseller list, I wanted to reward myself and I've been eyeing that bag in since forever so I said to myself before I grab it from the rack, 'You deserve it!' and paid for it without looking at the price tag!"

 

"Of course we have to do that from time to time. And friends, this bag is one of the most expensive bags Fendi has ever produced."

 

Sehun bit her lip. Rachael took the first item out of the bag. "It's Y-mail wallet from YSL." Holding a patent black tri-fold wallet that resembled an envelope and had the Yves Saint Laurent logo as the stamp. "Can we open it?"

 

"Go right ahead. I think the lamb's done, let us put some spices herein, pepper, salt, dried oregano, five spice powder and cayenne pepper. Then, in our boiling water here, we'll blanch the cauliflower until limp." She placed the florets into a strainer and soaked it in the boiling water.

 

"You've cut it really small, is that how it's supposed to be done?" She asked.

 

"Yup! We're gonna mix it with the lamb later. Anyway, what did you see in there?"

 

"I can see a twenty dollar bill."

 

She let out a sigh then laughed merrily. "I am not used to bringing cash all the time. I just bring something for unavoidable parking fees and whatnot and my assistant Eva, since we do travel quite a lot, have a permanent stash of dollars, Euros and Wons and Ren Min Bis." She’s mixing the cooked florets and the lamb mixture.

 

"But you only have one card."

 

"Yes. The next best thing after blueberry cheesecake!"

 

"You got it right!” She looked at the audience.

 

"You may notice that the wallet and the bag don’t match at all. But believe it or not, it's the only wallet that I have. And it's a gift." She added. "I used to not bring wallets but the one who gave it might have my head if I'm not going to use it." She sniggered.

 

"Would you mind telling us who gave it to you?" Rachael asked conspiratorially.

 

"Not at all. It's Rob. Robert Pattinson." She waved to camera. "Hi there, Robbie!"

 

"All Twilight fans would be so jealous!"

 

"I hope nobody shoots me outside! Hah! But they all know he's a good friend of mine. I've known him for six long years. And there's a story behind that wallet. He gave that to me from his trip to LA for his first Oscars. He went [to the awards night] and he sent that through courier. I opened it and there really was a letter inside. I hated him a bit 'cause he could have put some cash in there instead of a letter but since the letter's kind of sweet, I forgave him." She said in mock seriousness and Rachael was laughing her hearts out. "I think the letter's still inside." She added.

 

"Can we read it?"

 

"Of course. Sorry, Rob!" She fished the letter out herself, allowing the florets to melt with the lamb. "There you go." She handed Rachael a piece of paper folded carefully.

 

"Can we really read it?" She asked.

 

"Sure. There's nothing libelous in there." Sehun assured. "Alright, let’s mix this carefully then like forming a pate, we'll place it inside a ziplock bag. . .and seal it in." Getting one corner of the bag, she put a relatively large hole in it using a knife, forming an improvised piping bag." Then we get the instant cannelloni shells and pipe the filling in," She demonstrated it. "You may read the letter while I finish this." She urged.

 

"Alright. Dear S-shen Shen. Shen Shen? Why Shen Shen?"

 

"Well, that's his horrible, horrible nickname for me."

 

"I can't make that out from Sehun at all." Sehun laughed at her comment.

 

"It's supposed to be Xuan Xuan, from my Chinese nickname. He once heard my Mom call me that and he made fun of it. But then, Rob, having the speech deffect," She looked at the audience. "Alright, that's a joke. He can't pronounce it properly and he'll just end up saying Shen Shen instead of Shu-an Shu-an."

 

"It's getting embarrassing for him. I love you Edward! Here it is: Oscars was absurd! You won't believe it! I never imagined the red carpet to be red but it really was!" The audience laughed and Rachael looked at her with unbelieving eyes and she just shrugged.

 

"I told you it'll be out of this world. I am done with the shells and now we'll pour the simple tomato sauce at the base of our baking dish. . .then arrange the shells and now for the topping," She opened a jar of creme fraiche. "We'll be using creme fraiche but this could be expensive. You may subtitute it by mixing equal parts of sour cream and whipping cream."

 

"Wow! We learned something new. I didn't know that!" She shrieked. "You're one thrifty chef!"

 

"I am. We should know how to find ways to save money! Then we put salt and pepper to taste, and chopped herbs." She grabbed the nearby herb jar and tore some leaves. "Let's use flat leaf parsley and some basil for aroma. Chop it coarsely then fold it in our creme fraiche. We put it on top of the cannelloni and we grate as much Parmigiano Reggiano we fancy. Guys, there's no substitute for the real parmesan. It's my favorite cheese."

 

"Aged to perfection indeed. I absolutely love it!"

 

"Who doesn't love the real Parmigian?! Let's bake this for twenty minutes at 375 degrees."

 

"I can't wait to taste that! To be honest with yah, I don't cook cannelloni 'cause it's too much work for me but you?" She clapped. "You're amazing!"

 

"It's easy, isn't it? You know what, when you were not looking, I talked to one of the assistants at the back and we made one in advance so here it is!" She pulled a baking dish from the oven.

 

"I can't believe they didn't tell me that!"

 

"Nice and hot cannelloni! While I serve you my special cannelloni, why don't you continue reading it?" She winked.

 

"I will! I just got too excited! Where were we? Oh, alright. Everyone was dressed to the nines. Bloody, I won't even give myself a two back there! And their hair! I am the only one who didn't comb my hair! Are we supposed to comb the hair?" Rachael was holding her tummy while laughing, her eyes watery. "I can't believe he's this quirky!"

 

"Don't you mean queer?" Sehun burst out laughing.

 

"He might bite me!"

 

"You can take him." She jested.

 

She continued reading. "Kidding aside, now I understand why you shunned these events before. I'll be staying here for filming and won't be back in London for quite sometime. Take good care of yourself always. And before I forget, thank you. You paved way for all of these. Toodles, Rob." Rachael looked at her. "He's such a sweet character, you know?"

 

"Just stingy."

 

"You bully him to much, I think."

 

"Only when he's not around."

 

"Now, enough of him, let us taste this cannelloni and we'll be back with more of Sehun! Stay tuned!"

 

* * *

 

She started getting the things out of her bag again, "Chanel No. 5." She raised the bottle of her perfume. "Skittles!"

 

"I love candies."

 

"Me too. Two cellphones."

 

"One for my personal use and one for business. I've been using that personal phone since it first came out. Four years, I think. I just love old things."

 

"Kindle?"

 

"I read a lot. That small gadget made my life so much easier and I just download everything from newspapers to magazines to books."

 

"I have one myself. Hands down." She pulled a contraption from the bag, "HTMP6."

 

"My brother Luhan's own invention. It's a gaming console, music player, camera and portable video projector in one."

 

"What? No kidding! This is amazing!"

 

"I'll send you one, Rach."

 

"Thank you! No make up?"

 

"Just lip balm and moisturizer. That's what I usually bring."

 

"Ray-Ban aviators. G15?"

 

"Yes. The princess and I are the current endorsers of the Ray-Ban G15 series."

 

Rachael returned her stuff in the bag. "How was it growing up?" Rachael while muching on the cannelloni Sehun made. "Being in a family of geniuses. Oh my god this is so great!"

 

"Thank you!” Looking totally pleased with the compliment. “Growing up, we tried to live as normal as we possibly can. Honestly, I didn't know I was a little different until I went to a boarding school in Geneva. I was the youngest in my class and they all hated me. Just joking!" She retracted. "Then I finished high school when I was ten. A little early for kids my age."

 

"Really early, you mean."

 

"You're trying to impress me."

 

"I do not."

 

"You do." They shared a hearty laughter.

 

"How about being the only girl in the family?"

 

"That is something I can't get over until now." She said in mock seriousness. "They're all domineering and uber protective." Stressing the German word uber. "In an annoyingly good way! Believe it or not, my father’s the most lenient in the family."

 

"Siwon Choi's baby, aren't you?"

 

"Proud to be."

 

"How do you handle people saying you're just another poor little rich girl?"

 

"I just ignore them. If they don't have better things to do then I suggest they join Global Cool. Or they can drop by my office anytime. They'll see that I am not poor, I certainly am not little and only a blind man will dare call me a girl." She smiled at the camera.

 

"Like a cat on a hot tin roof, everyone. Feisty! He's [Siwon] already a billionaire when you were born, right? How do you deal with that fact?"

 

"Since we were kids, we were taught how to value money. Since I've been writing since I was nine, I told my mother that I want to pay for my school and dorm fees. I didn't have much and all of the royalties goes directly to my trust fund. Since then, everything they want to give me or I can't afford myself, they give to me as a gift. It goes the same for my brothers. I am proud to say that that didn't really get into our heads."

 

"That's admirable."

 

"Thank you." She beamed.

 

"Lastly, we all know you're as delectable as this cannelloni you made but are you still single?"

 

"Can I not answer that?"

 

"No. A lot of men will have me assasinated."

 

"I am. Very much. I don't have the time to even look for a boyfriend."

 

"Maybe we can call the attention of the eligible bachelors out there."

 

"There's a disclaimer though. He has to face the dreaded men in my family. Only then that he can date me."

 

The whole studio was filled with laughter.