Decision, Derision

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Please forgive me for updating three days after the agreed day. I hope you like this one though. Kamsahamnida!

 

Luhan lied on the bed and stared on the ceiling. He can't believe he's with the woman he loved just now. Much more that he's with his daughter. After learning everything about them, he flew to Busan without telling his family anything. He was scared and ecstatic at the same time about the idea of meeting his daughter. . .and Xiumin. Or Minseok.

 

"You're staying at Margrethe Hotel?" Yesung asked before sipping tea from his cup. He paid the old man a visit. He laid out his plan carefully before taking the first step. If he's not watchful enough, Minseok might take his daughter away from him even before he met her.

 

"Yes, Sir. I'm really sorry. I think I must go now. I just came here to apologize." He stood up and bowed in front of him. He was in Yesung's office in Kim Corporate Tower. He went there and introduced himself. He told him that he was the one who caused the fiasco at the wedding and apologized.

 

"Would you like to stay in my house while on vacation, young man?" He wanted to jump for joy for the opportunity but chose not to. It was not the right time for Yesung to know. He knew Minseok would be in China as well as Baekhyun so he can get to know his daughter while they were away.

 

The limo stopped at a large white mansion with large Corinthian columns. He was silently admiring the whole surroundings when the large double doors opened and a little girl dashed out of it.

 

"Oh. I thought it was Omma and Imo." She looked at the woman behind her, must be the nanny. She walked back to the house without sparing him another glance. He was gaping at her the whole time. He nailed himself onto the pavement so he won't run for her and crush her in a bear hug. He swallowed a lot of times to fight his tears.

 

"Sir?" The voice startled him. He saw a middle-aged man in a suit in front of him. "My name's Yilang and I am the Kim family's butler. I'll take you to your room?" He asked awkwardly.

 

"Oh. Yes, yes. Please. Thank you." He bowed slightly. "I am Choi Luhan."

 

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Choi. Are you by any chance related to Chanyeol-doronim?"

 

"He and Sehun are my siblings." He smiled a bit while craning his neck to look for his daughter who disappeared through the large receiving hall.

 

"Chanyeol-doronim spends a lot of time here but I seldom see Ahgassi nowadays." He heard him say. He turned left on top of the grand staircase and led him to hallway with deep red carpeting. White Grecian walls were paneled with dark wood that gave the whole mansion the homey feel. Everything screamed antique, from paintings to furniture to chandeliers.

 

"She's kind of busy with her stuff."

 

Yilang opened a door at the end of the hallway and held the door for him. "I'll have your luggage brought up in a moment, Sir. Just use the interphone whenever you need anything. Dinners are served at 7:30pm. Shall I call you?"

 

"I'll just go there myself." He said.

 

"Very well, Sir. Please feel at home. I'll have the Master informed of your safe arrival." He bowed and left. He closed the door and roamed his eyes around the room that'll be his home for an indefinite amount of time. He decided that he won't leave without asserting his paternal rights to Minkyung. He still can't believe he'd been living in hell for the past three years while he and Xiumin moved in the same circle. He shook his head in incredulity. He walked up to the French double doors that led to the verandah. He opened it and let the natural air through. It was just weeks before winter and the wind was a little too strong. But the cool air was calmed his senses. He didn't know how to face her.

 

For the longest time, he wondered why she left only to call and claim they had a child together. He knew he made a grave mistake of not checking when he had all the means. He lost precious years away from his child and he didn't know if he would be able to forgive himself for that. Now, he was also wondering why Minseok kept her real identity all along.

 

Yesung was already waiting in the dining room when he joined him. He smiled at him and gestured for him to sit. "Let's wait for star of the evening." He chuckled and after a few minutes, his daughter came and sat across him on the long table, the nanny proactively putting the booster seat for her. "Here she is. Sweetheart, I want you to meet Uncle Xiao Lu. He's Unlce Chanyeol's and Aunt Hunnie's older brother. Uncle, this is our angel, Minkyung." He wanted to correct Yesung and say that she should call him Appa but held himself. Looking at her, hair all wet from shower, cheeks a little flushed from the warm water, he wanted to weep. He swallowed the lump in his throat.

 

"Hi. Nice to meet you, Minkyung-ah." To his surprise, she extended a small hand across the table, almost trampling over the caviar plate. Yesung was laughing his heart out.

 

"I am Kim Minkyung. Pleased to meet you, Uncle Xiao Lu." No, you’re Choi Minkyung. He just stared at her beautiful hazel brown eyes squarely. Hankyung's eyes. And Sehun’s. "Won't you shake my hand?" She asked in an irritated tone. He cocked an eyebrow. First five minutes of their encounter, he already knew she got everything physical from Hankyung and Sehun, her feistiness from her Baekhyun-imo, and her sunny attitude from Minseok. Her intelligence, well, it runs in the blood.

 

"Forgive me." He shook her hand and felt the connection right away. "How old are you, young lady?"

 

"I am turning three next month." She answered promptly, her English didn't even waiver.

 

"She's Minseok's daughter, my eldest." Yesung interjected as the maids started serving food. "By the way, feel free to stay as long as you want." The conversation went to the current stock market, his latest inventions, his family to Yesung's new hobby: horses. He learned that Minkyung loved horses and had recently acquired a palomino. He remembered owning a palomino when he was much younger too. He just upgraded to a mustang a couple of years later when he excelled all his riding lessons.

 

"You own a palomino? Do you ride well?" Trying very hard to win her heart.

 

"Uh. . .I am not really good yet but I'll be." She said proudly. He can see the same stubborn glint he had in his eyes before his life's greatest tragedy took the best of him.

 

"I can be your riding coach. How's does that sound?" He beamed and her face lit up.

 

"Haraboji?" She turned to Yesung, asking for approval.

 

"Are you sure?" Yesung asked him instead.

 

"Of course, Uncle. I am on vacation so I might as well enjoy the simple life." He smiled at Minkyung.

 

"Thank you!" To his surprise—and delight, she ran up to him and hugged him. "I'll be a good girl, I promise!' She held her right hand up.

 

He was really happy that they share something in common. It was so hard to think of things he would do to get close with his own daughter. It's not like he had experience on fatherhood whatsoever.

 

He got up from the bed when the heavy oak door banged open and admitted Xiu—Minseok. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and lifted a defiant chin. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" She asked. She closed the door behind her and remained standing.

 

"Shouldn't you knock first?" The stupid reply.

 

"This is my house, I can do whatever I want." She retorted. "What the hell are you doing here?"

 

"Didn't you hear your father? I am guest." He stood up and mimicked her position.

 

Minseok hated that she was looking up at him, the same face that haunted her sleep. The face whose every line and mole and feature forever etched in her mind. She balled her hands to fists. She didn't know if she was fighting the urge to hit him or to caress his face. "You can't just barge into someone else's life like this." Her chest was racing from controlled emotion.

 

"Didn't you advise that to yourself?" He asked mockingly. Minseok narrowed her eyes. "I am here to introduce myself to my daughter. Nothing more, nothing less." He lied. He wanted Minseok—no, loved her more than anything else in this world and he would do anything to win her back.

 

"If my memory serves me right, Kim Minkyung," Emphasizing the Kim, "My daughter, doesn't have a father. The bastard denied her even before she was born." She winced inwardly when she saw the raw pain that crossed his eyes. But it was so fleeting that she might have just imagined it. The next second, it displayed something she's not acquainted with.

 

"Look, I know I've been a real jerk and I. . .want to make amends." He swallowed. "If you'll allow me." He added awkwardly. "It's not too late, right? I mean, you won't deny my—our daughter the chance to have a real family."

 

"Real family? How do you call our own? A fake one?" She snorted. "Listen to me, Choi Luhan," She held a hand up. "Don't interrupt me." She said and he closed his mouth. "I may not be a perfect mother but I can very well raise my daughter well. Without your or anybody's help. So please leave before it's too late to—“

 

Luhan's face displayed the cold indifference this time, reminding her of the time that he would look at her without really seeing her. Her Harvard days sure had bittersweet memories. "You really think you can get rid of me that easily? You know, barging into my room, bossing me around, asking me to go?" He grinned. "Then maybe you can think again."

 

And this time she really wanted to hit him. A warning knock on the door startled the both of them and Yilang entered soon after. "Doronim, Minkyung is waiting for you at the stables.” He was eyeing them suspiciously. “And Ahgassi, Mr. Im has arrived." He informed.

 

She let out an exasperated sigh. "Tell Siwan I'll be down in a moment."

 

***********************************************************************

 

"Mom." Martin tugged at her cotton skirt. She was standing beside the window, looking at the distant skyscrapers. They recently moved to one of the most extravagant units in the Margrethe Tower, courtesy of Minseok, of course.

 

"Yes, baby?" She raised an eyebrow.

 

"Where are we going? Why do I have to dress up?" He asked, playing with his cravat, discomfort was evident on his face.

 

"We're not going anywhere but we are expecting someone." Yixing pried his hand off the neck piece carefully and fixed it. "You look handsome by the way." She tried to smile.

 

"Is that someone going to marry you?"

 

"What are you saying?" In a high-pitched voice.

 

"Nothing. I just thought you're pretty tonight."

 

"Aren't you gallant, my Sir?" She beamed. "Well, if my date's this gorgeous then I shouldn't look bad, should I?" Before Martin could answer, they heard the doorbell.

 

"I'll get it." And he skipped to the doorway happily. She watched anxiously as Martin opened the door. She heard Yifan's voice asking for her. Then a long pause. She forced herself to the foyer where Martin stood frozen staring not at Yifan but to the person behind him.

 

"Martin?" The girl prompted and Martin came running towards the girl, sobbing painfully.

 

"You're alive! You're alive!" He cried in Italian repeatedly, clutching Sehun's hair when she scooped him to her arms. Yifan was watching the reunion with intense eyes. She finally cleared .

 

"You. . .you might want to come in?" She mumbled awkwardly.

 

"Unnie." Sniff. Sehun let go of Martin reluctantly. She hugged her but didn't say a word.

 

"I'll check on our dinner." She distanced herself to her, patting her dress gently.

 

"I'll go with you." She heard Yifan say and he even went ahead to the kitchen's direction.

 

He was watching Yixing silently as she expertly chopped fresh parsley and sprinkled it on top of the roasted chicken. "So, have you thought about the. . .proposal?" He tapped the granite countertop gently. Yixing looked at him absently as if she just remembered he was there.

 

"You've been playing real dirty, Choi Yifan." She gripped the handle of the carving knife tightly. "Fine. Let us do it your way."

 

"Good." He beamed and her heart leaped. She observed him under her lashes. His hair was a lot shorter and darker and he was a bit thinner. He looked more like a doctor now and not a movie star or a runway model that she always thought he was.

 

"How about my job?" She asked. She knew it would hurt Minseok. She's not just a good boss but a good friend.

 

"Choi Builders will hire you. You can name your price." She bit her lip so she won't hurl cuss words at him.

 

"Mom." Martin was standing on the entry way, dragging Sehun by the hand. "You surprised me. I am so happy."

 

"I-I know." She smiled at him, trying to fight her tears. "Shall we eat?" She scooped the large platter from the kitchen island and hurried to the adjacent dining room, leaving the three behind. She was arranging the table napkin on top of the plates when she noticed a figure in her peripheral vision.

 

"Let me help you, Unnie." She grabbed the cutlery and arranged it neatly beside each plate. Silence dominated the air for quite sometime. "I'm glad that you're willing to get back with Oppa to give Martin a complete family." She said sincerely.

 

Yixing almost dropped the glass that she was holding. Before she could say anything, the two padded to the dining area, laughing about a joke Yifan cracked up.

 

****************************************

 

"We're leaving this afternoon. Come with us?" He was saying beside her. They were on the wide expanse of the palace's back garden marveling at the magnificent sight.

 

"I promised Amber I'll stay for a few days." She smiled a bit. "And so was Unnie but Minkyung got sick and she can't stay for long. And you have work to do, Choi Chanyeol, how would you entertain me?" She mused, avoiding eye contact. Truth was, her palms were sweating profusely.

 

"I am the son of the owner, surely I am entitled to some R and R." He pouted. "Say, I'll stay?—Nah. Can't be." He pouted more. He told her he's taking over HanTel for a few months while Luhan's on vacation.

 

"Can I ask you something?" She said after an eerie silence.

 

"Ask away."

 

"Are you. . .Hmn. . .How do I put this?" She swallowed. She was perspiring in an airy autumn morning! “Wouldyougooutonadatewithme?”

 

'What?" He looked at her, eyes dancing with laughter.

 

"Would you go out on a date with me?" She repeated and bit her lip in embarrassment. Then lowered her head when he just stared at her with his zen stare.

 

"No." Her face fell. Did he get tired waiting? It felt like oxygen was knocked out of her, she gasped for air.

 

"I-I'm sorry. . .I shouldn't have said that--I think--Yeah. I should go. It's cold." She steadied herself, ready to run away from the most shameful event of her life when Chanyeol caught her arm. She looked at him, bewildered.

 

"Baek. I am a little traditional when it comes to things like this so let us do it the correct way, okay?" Pause. "Eherm," He smiled at her. "Kim Baekhyun, will you be my girlfriend?" She was gaping at him the whole time, not really realizing what was happening. And when she finally snapped out of it, she pinched his nose. "Aw! What's that for?!"

 

"You tricked me! I hate you!" She pouted and he let out a garble of laughter.

 

"C'mon, how can I face our future kids if they learn I let their mother ask me out on a date? I can't do that!"

 

"I still hate you." He hugged her from behind. "I won't date you ev--" An unwarranted kiss cut her off.

 

"We're here, Ahgassi." Ah Hao's voice brought her back to the present. They were indeed in front of their mansion. She waited for the bodyguard to open the door for her and stepped out of the car. She can barely contain her happiness. She spent the last couple of days with Amber, burning the lines with Chanyeol, and touring Beijing on her own while the others were busy for the enthronement rites. She thought she had met half of China when Amber introduced her to their extended family. It was exhausting to say the least but not once did she feel tired.

 

"Imo!" Minkyung, appearing from nowhere, threw herself to her, giving her a bear hug. "I missed you!" She gave her a resounding kiss.

 

"I missed you too, baby! Why, you've grown in just a week!" She noticed her sun-kissed cheeks. "Have you been staying outside?" She messed her hair up.

 

"She's learning to ride a horse." A voice answered and her head jerked up towards his direction. Her eyes widened in horror.

 

"Luhan!" She exclaimed.

 

"Hello, Baekhyun." He gave her pale cheek a peck. "Nice to see you again."

 

"Th—I mean—what are you—“ She looked at him and Minkyung back and forth questioningly and she noticed that few house help were looking at their exchange curiously.

 

"I am taking a vacation."

 

"I know. . .Chanyeol told me but w-why are you here?"

 

"Isn't it obvious, Imo? He's a guest here." Minkyung interjected and Baekhyun gave her a reprimanding look.

 

"You don't join conversations of the elders, Minkyung. Now, isn't it a little late for you to be still up?"

 

"Ooops! Sorry!" She grinned and now that Luhan was here, she can't deny the resemblance. "Goodnight, Imo, goodnight Uncle." She kissed Baekhyun goodbye and dragged her nanny towards the grand staircase.

 

"I think I have to retire too. I had a long day. See you around. Chalja." Luhan hurried after Minkyung, not giving her a chance to probe more. She was left in the middle of the living room, speechless.

 

*********************************************

 

"What do you plan to do?" Yifan asked the moment they were settled inside the limo that will take them to the hotel.

 

"I’ll look for someone who can take over Global Cool and then I am ready for Libertine." Siwon was contemplating on taking Libertine Investments, a former global investment giant, under Choi Group's wing. When the Chairman, a rich German national, died, the son took over and the business dwindled down in no time. Siwon knew what good the investment company could do for Choi Group when Park Dara sent the proposal. Dara, Joonmyeon's bestfriend for so many years, is the present Director of one of Korea's huge conglomerate. Libertine had pending investments in Incheon, Seoul and Macau, all affected by global financial crisis and mismanagement of the owner.

 

Dara proposed a merger and offered to take over the projects as soon as Siwon gave the go signal. But her father was reluctant. All of her brothers were managing a company or two under Choi Group and barely had time for themselves. And a new company will require a lot of attention. Joonmyeon distanced himself about the whole thing, thinking it was unethical for him to lobby for Dara and Siwon thought it was about time Sehun face her responsibility as a Choi heiress. She can't forever be doing nothing while her brothers slave themselves for the company.

 

"You can't be confined in an office." Yifan said, appraising her.

 

"That can't be helped. You have obligations in this family and so do I. It's not because I’m a girl, I can't handle a company." She said haughtily.

 

"I didn't say that."

 

"But that's what you're trying to point out, isn't it?" She huffed.

 

"Hunnie, I am not fighting with you today. I am too exhausted." He closed his eyes and Yixing's face crept up his mind. He groaned.

 

"I'm sorry. I am being childish here." She leaned back and closed her eyes too. "Truth is, I am scared. What if I fail? What if I can't bring Libertine onto its feet again? There's so much risk! Even the life of one of my friends is on the line!" She whined, unburdening herself of the pressure. She felt her brother squeezing her hand.

 

"You can do it. I never doubted for one second that you can. I am just sad you have to do this. It's not easy and it's too, what's the right word? Arid?" He snorted. "I can't really imagine you doing office work, meeting with the clients and all that crap."

 

"Haha. Funny."

 

"If you don't want it, tell him. He won't force you into anything, you know that." He said after a long moment of silence.

 

"I don't know what to do really. Anyway, I am staying with the Kims. You guys can take my jet and I'll take care of myself."

 

******************************************

 

"You what?" Hankyung stopped in her tracks from punching her lock combination on the hologram keypad. She eyed Yifan and tried to gauge the truthfulness in his eyes.

 

"You heard me, Mama." He said and leaned beside the missile-proof door of Hankyung's laboratory. "They are staying in my house."

 

Hankyung proceeded to unlock the door and gestured for Yifan to follow her. She pulled out flasks and beakers from the storage area, not knowing what to say. She witnessed how her sons suffered the loss of their loved ones. And she's afraid Yifan's about to suffer much worse because of his decision to take Yixing in. Again. "Are you sure want to do this?" She asked instead.

 

"I want to give it a shot. For Martin. We kind of owe it to Scott, don't we?" His answer seemed well-rehearsed.

 

"Son," She regarded him with worried eyes. "Be careful." She let a hand squeeze a side of his face slightly.

 

*****************************************