The Inevitable

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: SuChen, anyone?

 

“Wow. Small world, huh?” Sandara, sensed some tension in the air. Her melodious laugh tried to diffuse the awkward atmosphere. She didn’t want to get caught in the crossfire and Jongdae was still holding her daughter thank you very much. “Jongdae-ah, Joonmyeon is the best friend I am telling you about. How do you know each other, by the way?” She asked, stealthily snatching her daughter from Jongdae’s grip, swaying on her feet to calm the baby when she grunted from the sudden movement.

 

“Oh, we ah—I was working as a tour guide in Mokpo before I left to do freelance job here in Seoul.” She raised a brow and wanted to say that didn’t really answer her question but she let it go. Joonmyeon was still standing stiffly in the middle of the kitchen.

 

“Yeah. She gave me a tour of Mokpo sometime ago.” Joonmyeon’s face hardened before he visibly relaxed. It was so fleeting that Jongdae thought she might have just imagined it. His familiarity of the place was evident. He sauntered to where the food was, stuffing his face with a scone and pouring himself some juice.

 

“Well, that’s cool. I was afraid you’ll be uncomfortable around some people you just met, Jongdae-ssi but since you used to be a guide I take it that you’re used to meeting different kinds of people all the time.” It was Jiyong this time while exchanging furtive glances with his wife.

 

“Tell me about it. Different kinds of people. Some of them even look down on guides like me thinking they’re superior to others just because they have money to travel.” She said, picking on her salad. Joonmyeon’s head snapped up.

 

“Or maybe these tourists are just trying to protect themselves. You know how some tours force the guests to buy souvenirs or something, right?” He was all out frowning now and Jongdae was taken aback. The nerve of this guy!

 

“I think the food is ready!” Dara said in a loud voice, effectively halting whatever Jongdae was to say. “I had the table set up at the back. The weather is so nice so I thought dining al fresco would be good.” She smiled, giving Joonmyeon a warning look.

 

“I am just on time then!” Hollered by a voice. Jongdae looked up to see a tall and slender woman with honeyed skin and gorgeous smile. She was in tight leather pants, red peplum top and suede ankle boots. She had chopped bangs and her high pony tail accentuated her small face beautifully. Jongdae thought she was looking at a life-size doll.

 

“Yuri-ah!” Joonmyeon’s face stretched in to a wide grin. “Whoa, it’s been so long. You look smashing!”

 

“Thank you, Oppa! I can’t say the same thing to you though.” She smirked. Sandara cackled loudly.

 

“Kwon Yuri!” It was Jiyong in a reprimanding tone.

 

Joonmyeon didn’t look a bit offended though, he was chortling loudly. “Welcome back, you punk!”

 

“I heard from the grapevine that you bought an engagement ring sometime ago. I was waiting for an invitation, news, whatever. What happened?” Yuri blabbered, not realizing there was someone else in the room. Jongdae stiffened in her seat. “Or you married in secret, you old man?!” She shrieked.

 

“You’re making him uncomfortable, pabo! Go get the beer so we can eat!” Jiyong’s tone was stern. Yuri just huffed but stomped to the fridge. “Man, so sorry about that. She really had no sense of propriety sometimes. Well, most of the time.” He looked sheepish.

 

“It’s fine. That’s her charm, I guess.” Joonmyeon’s smile was forced. They all head out to the backyard where Jongdae can see the perfect view of the sea. A rectangular table was covered with red and white gingham cloth and was laden with steaming hot food. Joonmyeon volunteered to strap Jinri to a high chair. “Did you miss Uncle, sweetie? Huh?” He cooed. Jongdae brought out her camera and took a picture. She told herself that the baby’s gurgles attracted her attention and not the one strapping her. Not at all.

 

“So, what did I mi—oh, who is this?” Yuri dropped the beer carrier unceremoniously and sat across Jongdae. Joonmyeon didn’t have any choice but to occupy the only seat available, beside Jongdae. She turned to her brother. “Why can he bring his girl and I can’t bring mine?!” She even pounded the table in vehemence. Jongdae was gaping at her. Girl?

 

“Because Jongdae’s not with Joonmyeon, she’s our photographer. Yuri-ah, play nice.” It was Dara this time. Jiyong was shaking his head, he was red from embarrassment.

 

“Oh, okay! Sorry about that.” Yuri grinned at her. “I’m Yuri, nice to meet you, Jongdae-ssi!”

 

“N-Nice to meet you, too.” Sandara told her that she’s one interesting character but she didn’t know she’ll be this interesting.

 

The couple doted on their little one. It was evident that Sandara will be the disciplinarian in the family. She would scold Jinri gently if she puts her thumb in or hit her father if she becomes too happy while Jiyong was just happy to be hit. It was almost surreal to see these people in a simple, very domestic setting. Her parents were both movers and shakers of society, faces perennially splattered in the pages of Seoul Tatler or the Forbes Magazine. Who would have thought?

 

They talked about different topics during the course of lunch; after cleaning up, the family went away to change and  Yuri called, “I’m going to call Tiff!” over her shoulder and disappeared. Jongdae got her equipment and began to set up near the pool. Joonmyeon lingered and she promised herself that she won’t talk to him even if her life depended on it.

 

“I’m glad they’re finally getting along. Jinri was the miracle they’re waiting for, I guess.” His eyes were trained on the waves below, his hands were tucked inside his pockets. Jongdae straightened from adjusting the right height of her tripod. She knew she shouldn’t respond lest she encourage him to talk to her more but her curiosity took the better of her.

 

“What do you mean?” They used to not get along, then? They looked every inch the perfect couple.

 

“It was an arranged marriage. Cliché, isn’t it?” He laughed and Jongdae was trying to ignore how she missed the sound of it.

 

“In your world it’s not.” She knew how the rich would do everything to keep the money and power in the family—to the extent of marrying cousins once or twice removed. She shuddered inwardly at the thought.

 

“Could be.” He still had that faraway look in his face. “H-How are you?”

 

“Fine.” She didn’t dare look at him, choosing to fumble with her laptop cords instead. She still can’t believe this was the same person who chased her out his office ages ago. The memory was still so vivid, so real. She knew in her heart she already forgave him but then she knew he hadn’t forgiven himself for what happened. Until Joonmyeon found it in his heart to let go of the past and be happy with himself, he wouldn’t be truly happy with anyone else. And she thought she deserved better than be with a person who didn’t like who he was.

 

“Are you uhm, free next Saturday?”

 

“Are you flirting with Jongdae?” Both of them jumped from Sandara’s blunt inquisition. She was looking at them back and forth with a playful glint in her eyes.

 

“Noona! I told you not to stop doing this.” Joonmyeon grumbled. She handed Jongdae a portable hard drive.

 

“Please give me copies of all the shots and I’ll review them with Jiyong.” Jongdae nodded absently, having been caught in a rather oafish conversation with Choi Joonmyeon no less. “Also, beware of this guy, okay?” She chortled.

 

“There’s a reason why you get along so well with your sister-in-law.” She can picture him rolling his eyes without looking at him. Soon, they were joined by the father and daughter, the family was dressed in matching all-white outfits. Jinri was gurgling happily.

 

“Oh look at this guy. His daughter was just laughing and he looked like he just won the lottery or something. I wonder how he’ll be once Jinri gets a Law degree or something.” Sandara sighed blithely.

 

“She better not be a lawyer.” Jiyong scowled.

 

“Ehem.” Yuri was glaring at her brother.

 

“Are you a lawyer, Yuri-ssi?” Jongdae asked.

 

“Only by profession. She didn’t practice a bit. Yuri’s one of the top interior designers in the country.” The sister-in-law beamed proudly.

 

“Yeah, and this guy’s family owes me for getting yet another designer in their fold. So convenient.”

 

“Hey! You’re still doing projects for Choi Builders! Do you want me to cancel them?”

 

“Aniyoooo, Sajangnim!” Yuri retracted. “You’re looking so good today!”

 

“Why don’t you consider being a lobbyist? You’re so lame!” Jiyong groaned.

 

Jongdae can’t help but feel out of place in so many different levels. She was raised to be confident and independent but it was so obvious that she was out of their league. And it was not helping that the person she least wanted to see was there. She just wanted to get this over and done with so she can get out of there.

 

Even if she was feeling anxious, the photo shoot went by without a hitch. The couple was oh-ing and ah-ing while looking at the previews. There were shots all throughout the house and she had taken literally a thousand photos of young Jinri. Weirdly enough, they chose the photos where their daughter was drooling in the carpet, playing with the house slippers or trying to eat the grass she plucked out of the lawn.

 

“Are you sure? I mean, there are more, I don’t know, more attractive photos?” She bit her lip. They were trying to decide on which stills they wanted blown up for the baby’s bedroom and her party. Was it her fault? They just told them to do their thing and kept clicking so it was inevitable that she’ll be capturing moments like those.

 

“Yes! They’re so real and so candid! In the future, I wanted Jinri to know that she had a normal childhood. That she had a chance to be dirty or experience all the things any child should. You probably had an idea on what kind of upbringing we had and I must tell you that it was worse than what you’re thinking.” Jiyong’s tone was light but serious and Jongdae can’t help but admire him even more.

 

She was speechless for a moment before she smiled. “I see. I’ll work on them as soon as possible. Thank you for giving me a chance to photograph your beautiful daughter.”

 

The same house help took her keys to bring her car upfront. He parked the car in the driveway and Jongdae sensed something wrong when he came over. “Ahgassi? Does your steering wheel shake when you brake?” He asked and she looked at him confusedly.

 

“Why? Isn’t that normal?”

 

“What happened?” Joonmyeon, who’s also getting ready to leave, caught a bit of their conversation.

 

“The wheel shakes when you break and the pedals make a grinding noise.” The help answered.

 

“Oh no! And you drove all the way to Incheon in that condition?” Sandara gave her a look of disbelief.

 

Jongdae was confused. She had very little understanding of cars. She was using her father’s old car and Kyuhyun made sure it was always in good condition. When she bought the car a few weeks ago, she didn’t pay a lot of attention to the condition because the price was more important. She had a budget she wanted to stick to. “Is it really that bad?” She asked to no one in particular. If anything, she can just drive straight to a body shop once she got to Seoul.

 

“It means your break linings are worn and if you keep driving it, it may damage the entire brake system. How old is this anyway?” Jiyong took the keys from their help and got inside the car himself.

 

“It was a pre-owned car. But it was 2005 model.”

 

“Buying a second-hand car saves you money but in reality, high maintenance costs may not be worth it. Cars are usually good for just five years.” Jiyong drove for a few meters and backed up.

 

“You should have this towed, Jongdae-ssi. You’re putting yourself and other people in danger by driving this. I think the metal of the brake pad already made contact with the brake drum.”

 

“I don’t understand any of that so I’ll just take your word for it. I hate to say this, but can I use your phone? I’ll call a towing company. I can ride with them to Seoul, can’t I?”

 

“I’ll send you home.” Joonmyeon’s tone didn’t encourage any argument but Jongdae was tired and frustrated and honestly, she just wanted to get home and sleep.

 

“No, thank you.” She spat. She didn’t care what anyone said anymore.

 

“Please, Jongdae? I can’t allow you to ride with people you don’t even know. We’ll take care of your car.” Sandara gave her a look of concern. “Or maybe we can drive you there instead. Please get my keys—“

 

“Oh, no! Please. Okay, Joonmyeon-ssi, if you don’t mind?” She can’t even guess what he was thinking. A forever passed before he walked over to his car wordlessly, opening the door for from the inside. She bid goodbye to the Kwons and got in, surrendering to her fate.  

 

****************************************

 

Tao was breaking several palace laws and protocols just by being there. He sat by the edge of the couch in the generic-looking receiving area while the front desk personnel called the person he wished to see. He lowered his cap towards his face.

 

“He said he’ll see you, Sir. Please follow me.” The receptionist surveyed him tactically and led him to a closed door a few steps away. “Just go straight. It’s the last door to your right. His secretary will be waiting for you.” He mumbled his thanks and did as he was told.

 

“Mr. Huang?” The secretary was another pretty girl in a suit a little too short to look professional. He nodded. She knocked on the door behind her and opened it for him. “Please come in.”

 

The person behind the huge mahogany desk looked up from trying in his computer. His eyes lingered a bit in his face half-covered with his cap before he gestured for an armchair in front of his table. “Please sit down...Your Majesty.” He added as an afterthought. Tao knew he was mocking his title. “Can I help you?”

 

Tao remained standing despite himself. “I want you to help me see Sehun.”

 

Himchan tilted his head, gauging if he’s serious or not. “Pray tell, why would I do that?” Of course the man had forged loyalties. He was expecting it to say the least.

 

“Because I want to make things right for her. For both of us.”