Luck Just Won't Cut It

A Blessing or A Curse

 

A/N: Uh, I'm running out of written chapters! Sort of SuChen next update.

 

"What are you doing here?" Sehun didn't hide the surprise in her voice, much more in her stance when she saw Luhan in the front porch of the Kim mansion together with her welcoming committee. She flashed Baekhyun a look but she looked away instantly. She engaged her in a tight hug instead.

 

"Welcome to our humble home." She said inappropriately. She had stayed in this house a number of times in the past that she’s no longer considered a house guest. She scrutinized her brother and his whole aura of familiarity. Chanyeol isn't here, is he?

 

"You didn't answer me." She hissed when she gave Luhan a beso. There's this feeling in the pit of her stomach that won't go away.

 

"Uncle Yesung invited me to stay here instead of the hotel." He stated coolly.

 

"You didn't tell us." With a hint of accusation. Something's fishy, she's sure of that.

 

"Am I not old enough to make decisions on my own?" He taunted and Sehun glared at him.

 

"You can all stay at the hotel. I'll be fine here. In case I need to be out I'll call you. Inform me whenever my plane's back." She ordered and Eva bowed for the last time without a word and boarded the limo. Wayne cast one preventive glance at the whole domain before he followed suit that Sehun almost rolled her eyes.

 

"Aunt Hunnie?" A ringy voice from behind.

 

"Murky Minkyungie?" She whipped her head into her direction and crouched, anticipating a hug.

 

"But I am not murky anymore!" She pouted but nevertheless complied.

 

"I was told you got that palomino you were lobbying about." She kissed the tip of her nose. She saw Luhan eyeing them with an austere expression on his face. Then he blinked, once, twice. A wide smile crept up his features, not quite reaching his eyes though.

 

She fixed her eyes on Minkyung. Onto her dark chocolate hair, perfectly arched brows, laughing hazel brown eyes. . . "I think…I forgot something." At the same time pressing the speed dial one on her phone. Eva picked up after two rings.

 

"Get back here." They even saw the limo making an abrupt U-turn before it reached the gate of the Kim property.

 

"Wait." Baekhyun saw her friend shivering. She knew. At last.

 

"What's wrong?" Minkyung croaked. Sehun looked at Luhan instead, mouth open. She opened and closed it several times but nothing came out. The car halted to a stop in front of the house. Wayne opened the door for her and she jumped inside without a word with Baekhyun, Luhan and Minkyung, staring after her. Luhan carried Minkyung. "Is she mad at me?"

 

"No, baby. You have to live with her for a very long time to understand her." But Luhan's heart was hammering through his rib cage painfully. He saw the look in his sister's face. He had to act fast.

 

*****************************************

 

"You know why I'm here, don't you?" Baekhyun let her reading glasses slide down her nose and folded it gently. Luhan closed the door of the library behind him and towered in front of the huge mahogany table.

 

"Will you…walk with me?" She grabbed two padded coats under the staircase and handed one to Luhan without waiting for approval. They walked side by side each other in eerie silence until they reached the end of the property marked by a tall wrought iron gate. The security guard on duty murmured a good evening even if he was well aware that it was past midnight. Outside the gate was their private road. She stepped out the human entrance wordlessly and Luhan followed suit. They were several meters away from the gate when she spoke.

 

"I hated you." She said. "More than you'll ever know." Luhan didn't say a word. "I was there when Unnie called you. I was there when my sister struggled to keep herself from falling apart for the sake of her unborn child."

 

"I'm sorry. I was the biggest loser in this world and I probably don't deserve any of them--"

 

"But you're the one that they need. I have to acknowledge that." Luhan's head jerked up. "If only for Minkyung then I can forgive you. She's the greatest thing that ever happened to us. Made us miss Mom less. She simply made us happy." She sat on the pavement and gathered the coat tightly in front of her chest. "Then there's Sehun. And Chanyeol. It keeps adding to the list of reasons why I should forgive you."

 

"But?"

 

"I am not my sister. She's her own person. And I trust that you wouldn't hurt her again. Regardless of what her decision would be." She started the long walk towards the house without waiting for him.

 

*****************************************

 

"I have nothing to say to you." The voice came just above a whisper but an intense mixture of pain and regret coalesce in his chest. He stared back at his sister sitting across him in the airport's private waiting lounge.

 

"I'm sorry." Great. How many times did he have to say these words to people? Why was it that no matter how many times he did, his past decisions still weigh much more? They heard a faint knock and Eva poked her head inside.

 

"Everything's ready, Ms. Choi." Sehun gathered her purse and left him without a word. She didn't even spare him a glance. Eva held the door for him. "Are you coming with, Sir?"

 

"No. Take care of her, Eva." The blonde nodded and followed her boss. He didn't even know where she's heading. She just refused to talk to him, she even held him out of her hotel room last night. He didn't only hurt Minseok, he had hurt each and everyone in his family, Baekhyun, Yesung. Wait till Hankyung hear of this. He had no idea what to do next. He slumped back on the couch painfully. Problems accumulate every minute. And the thought of Minseok's being on a three-day conference with Im Siwan killed him the most.

 

*******************************************

 

Sehun was sitting Indian style on the wooden floor of an otherwise bare room with large open windows, back rim rod straight and clothed in a crimson-colored saree. Beside her was an old bearded man in a mustard robe. The monastery had been her sanctuary and she can't think of any more peaceful place to retreat. It had been a long time since she was there. The serenity of the place made her cry and she let the tears fall silently.

 

"Say, I shave my head again and serve you, Master. Will you take me in?" She croaked in a pained, broken voice. It took Master Gethin a long moment to respond.

 

"You have a lot to offer the world than serving an old man, child." He replied simply.

 

"But Master! It seemed that everything I do throws me back into this abyss. It felt like I am drowning and as I swim upwards, this force keeps pulling me back down! And I am losing it!" Her body lunged forward as she cried with all her might. Master Gethin's face didn't give away any emotion but he let her weep nonetheless. It was not until she was sobbing softly that he stood up and poured her some tea.

 

"Here, this will help." He gave her the tea cup and she was awed by the gesture. Master pouring a drink for the student was against the protocol.

 

"T-Thank you, Master." She said weakly and drank all the contents of the cup. The searing hot liquid scorched but she didn't mind.

 

"Just remember all the things that we taught you and you'll be okay. The Prajnya gave you the right view of the world around you and as I watch your steps since you left the monastery, I am sure you've acquired the right intentions as well. Just follow your heart and you can never go wrong."

 

Sehun stared outside the window, to the very mountain ranges that the monks forced her to climb years ago, silently questioning her ability to determine the right path.

 

"I didn't tell you the reason why I agreed to take the gangly fifteen year-old in years ago." He said after the companionable silence. Her head jerked up in attention. She didn't ask him that, not even once. But she thought that Joonmyeon would be the reason why. Her brother was one filial student. Master Gethin continued when she didn't say anything. "Your father went here after you were declared out of danger in Uruguay, did you know?"

 

She regarded him with a frown, mutely answering the question.

 

"He thanked me for all the things that we've done for you." He stood beside her, watching the snowcaps, nostalgia was visible in his aged features. "But I told him I should thank him instead for giving you to us." She was staring at him, confounded by what she just heard. "I've learned many things that seemed vague to me before because of you. You've been a real problem child and I didn't know what to do with you. I've thrown many impossible tasks your way and in return, you've done everything to spite me. Even if you knew you'll be punished to death for doing so." Faintly, she smiled at the memory. "But that made you strong and the day that you assented your frailties was the day you were born."

 

Before she knew it, she was crying again. This time, wetting the master's robe. He tapped her head gently.

 

"And if I'm selfish then I'll tell you that you can stay here forever. But we can't take you away from the people who need you the most. It is enough that you still regard this place as your refuge from the demanding path that you thread everyday. Continue your journey knowing that we're proud of you and that we believe in you."

 

********************************************

 

"Let's climb the Everest tomorrow, what do you say?" She heard Yongguk groan from the other line. She desperately needed a friend right now and she can't trouble Seohyun as she was busy rehearsing for her comeback concierto.

 

Can't find any more appropriate time to invite me, huh? He whined. I am so busy that I don't even have time to eat! It was their dream to climb all the highest peaks together.

 

"That, I do not believe." She cooed. "I miss you, Grinch. Would you want me to come over?" She gave him a playful come on that she can almost picture his eyes rolling heavenward. She fought the urge to gibber.

 

No. That would certainly make me feel like smelling garbage. The sarcastic reply.

 

"And what exactly do you mean by that?" She asked in a dangerous inflection.

 

You'll follow me around like a pesky fly that I can't dispose.

 

"Yah! Jugule?!"

 

I’m petrified!

 

"Wait 'til I get my hands on your neck!” She yelled.

 

Okay, okay. But before you plan my murder, will you go to China and patch things up with Amber? You two bother me a lot these days!

 

"I won't." She huffed.

 

Seriousl, Choi Sehun, Amber keeps you sane for some reason.

 

"I know." She conceded after a while. "But you keep me cool. You sure you don't me in ia?" She cajoled.

 

No.

 

"I hate you, Father Hen." She rolled her eyes.

 

You simply just don't run out of names to call me.

 

"I'll call you back the moment I think of new, creative ones." She chortled.

 

Lord have mercy. He muttered something unprintable and she launched into a fit of giggles. I have to go. Promise me that you'll call me the moment you land. He said in a serious tone. He was feeling guilty he can't be with her in times like this but the days spent in China weren't planned and he already got a lashing from his boss for going MIA in the last few days and he was bombarded with tons of work.

 

"I will. And Yongguk?"

 

Hmn?

 

"Thank you." She said sincerely and ended the call without waiting for his response. She thought of his suggestion of going to China but decided against it. She's not ready yet to talk to Amber. She emerged from the waiting lounge and found Wayne and Eva in a heated discussion (yet again) just outside. "Eherm."

 

"Yes, Ms. Choi?" Eva straightened in attention, looking guilty all of a sudden. She was highly amused.

 

"Call the ATC and tell them we're heading back to Seoul."

 

********************************************

 

Yixing looked around the house and breathed a sigh of contentment. She slumped weakly on to a gorgeous white divan. After rearranging (for the nth time) the furniture that she purchased the other day, she was dead beat. It wasn't usually this difficult for her to accomplish something she does for a living but knowing who'll be judging her made her uncertain of her abilities.

 

"This will be your home from now on." Yifan opened the large oak double doors and lead them inside. She and Martin exchanged furtive glances. The house was practically empty. Not a single furniture on sight. "Oh. Sorry." Yifan looked like he just took notice. She eyed him impatiently. Was he really trying to anger her? "I had all the furniture given away so you can have a say on what to put in here." He smiled sheepishly that she was literally knocked out of breath.

 

"But the old furniture was fine." She mumbled stupidly. As far as she can remember, his house was tastefully decorated. With the relaxing, oriental kind of feel. But the thought of having the free reign on every possible item that she can put inside the large house excited her.

 

"Yeah but I want you to take care of it. This is your house too so it should suit your taste. Right buddy?" He turned to Martin.

 

"Mom's the best interior designer in the whole world." He declared arrogantly.

 

Yixing smiled at the vote of confidence. "That earned you some brownie points." She said.

 

"Do I get brownie points too?" Yifan made puppy dog eyes that made her laugh. All irritating conversations they had, forgotten.

 

The next day, she was being chauffeured to Seoul Trade Tower’s retail podium. The place was unusually empty at midday and she will learn later that Yifan had the whole mall closed down for her convenience. His secretary (a new one, not the one she wanted to strangle before), followed her around the whole day. Scribbling down notes and taking orders. She was extremely satisfied.

 

"Are we done here, Mrs. Zhang?" One of the maintenance men that she hired to help her with the moving asked. Her eyes flew open.

 

"Yes. Thank you for coming." She called one of the house help. "Please lead them to the dining area. Have some snack before you leave, will you?" She bowed in gratitude and headed to their room.

 

Yifan was generous enough to sleep on the couch the past two nights. Even though the single sofa that was left from the charity that he did was too small for him. She purchased a beautiful bamboo day bed that coordinated with the whole spa feel of the house. She would talk him out of sleeping in the couch. She's cool with sleeping on the day bed and Yifan can reclaim his bed. It took her sometime to decide on what specific design she should use then she remembered his office. And she only had three days to redecorate the eight-bedroom house.

 

She still believed the house was too big. But then again, the Choi mansion had thirty-seven bedrooms. Not to mention the gym, the spas, the enormous library that will put the US Library of Congress to shame, a game room, a music room, an indoor pool for the winters, a gigantic kitchen and some odds and ends that you won't even think you'll find in a normal house. So, all in all, Yifan's house was modest. She cringed at the thought.

 

She stepped in the bathroom and took off her clothes. She examined the whole place. She had wooden planks attached to the original marble floor and had the white claw foot tub replaced with an authentic Japanese ofuro. Decorative stones and fresh plants finished off the look. Now, she will initiate the wooden tub. She filled it with warm water and lavender-scented bubble salt. . .

 

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" A thunderous voice roared and she coughed her way out of the water. She was gasping for air and her eyesight was blurring. She felt someone lifting her up from the tub and wrapping her hastily with a cloth before everything went blank.

 

****************************************

 

"What were you thinking, Mom?" She squinted from the glaring lights that welcomed her from dreamland. She heard someone sigh nearby. She came face-to-face with Martin the moment she fully opened her eyes. He was boring her with such gorgeous Latino eyes. He was utterly turned off.

 

"W-What happened?" She croaked and was disgusted by her own sound. was so dry and itchy.

 

"Here, drink this." Yifan handed her a glass of water and a capsule which she took obediently. He won't kill her, would he?

 

"You slept in the tub! And God knows how long you’ve been soaking!" He clenched and unclenched his fists several times angrily. He picked up Martin from school and arrived around six. The house help told him Yixing finished decorating the house two hours earlier and hadn't come down since then. It scared the hell out of him when he found her in the tub, pale white and running a high temperature. "I swear you can be so careless!"

 

"Not too loud. It echoes in my head." She held her head and Martin cackled.

 

"It should so you won't dare do it again." He fretted.

 

"I didn't mean to sleep there, okay? I just finished the whole house today and the least that you can do is to, at least, tell me I've done a nice job." She murmured.

 

"Fishing for compliment, eh? Dad, I'll leave her to yah. Night, Mom!" Martin kissed her and gave Yifan a high five and bolted out of the room. Dad? Did she hear that right? Did Martin just call Yifan Dad?

 

*******************************************

 

"What is the progress of what I asked you to do?" She asked while perusing the thick stack of documents that she had to sign.

 

"I have them all covered, Ms. Choi. But there's this one person you might want to consider. Ms. Gong refused the offer. She's on the family way." Eva was tapping away in her laptop.

 

"Oh, really? That Cai's gonna be a father soon, huh? That's alright. I understand. But I need a new director for Asian division soon." She sighed. It was a futile search.

 

"Here. Look at this." Eva spinned the laptop so it was facing her. She read the article and a smile formed in her lips. "It's a brilliant idea."

 

"I'll take care of it." Eva was pleased with herself.

 

"No, I'll do it. Madam Lan could be difficult at times, you know? And I want you to call for a press conference five days hence. No, make it two. One for Global Cool and one for Libertine."

 

"Do you really want to do this?"

 

"I've heard that question many times over." She snapped.

 

"You are evading it."

 

"I want to do this. Are you happy now?" Eva shook her head but didn't argue with her.

 

******************************************

 

"Son, are you alright?" Corinne asked her boss. She can't concentrate on sorting the checks that she needed for signing. Jongin was pacing nonstop in front of her desk.

 

"I am, I am." He fanned himself with the index card that he was holding.

 

"This is not a speech competition, you know." She blurted out. Jongin was supposed to retaliate when the door to the office opened and a delivery boy from the florist came into view.

 

"Delivery for Ms. Corinne Jang." He was holding a large bouquet of flowers, a mixture of purple tulips, peach roses, maroon calla lilies and blue hydrangeas.

 

"That's me." Corinne sang and signed through the electronic signing device. Jongin was busy inspecting the flowers. "This should be okay, right?"

 

"Doesn't it look. . .gloomy?" He didn't really like purple. But you shouldn’t tell Sehun that.

 

"Of course not! Purple means faithfulness, passion and hope." She swatted his hand from the flowes. "I know she'll like it. Now, let me look at you." She gave him a once over and tsked.

 

"I think I'm gonna have a cardiac arrest." He fiddled with his scarf. Corinne buttoned his black coat up and redid his pale gray muffler.

 

"Should I organize the funeral now?" The sarcastic reply. "And you chose black of all colors!"

 

"I look good in black." He shot back.

 

"Everybody looks good in black. You look good in anything. You're a model, remember?" She rolled her eyes. "And stop memorizing what you're going to say! Please? It's not you." She snatched the index card from his hands and threw them in the trash can. "It's time." She tapped his cheek gently after glancing at the wall clock.

 

"Alright. Wish me luck." Followed by several shallow breaths.

 

"Lots of it. Now, go!" She shooed him away.

 

***********************************************************************