A Taste of Truth

A Blessing or A Curse

“Do you mind spending more time in Seoul?”

 

“Actually, I do.” She said without batting an eyelash. Victoria scratched her head exasperatedly.

 

“Look, this is serious money, just accept this one and you can have your vacation for as long as you want.” Yixing pursed her lips. One of the agency assistants already told her that as per the office grapevine, HanTel was eyeing her to be their next endorser even before Victoria opened it up to her today.

 

“You’re good to go, Lay.” The makeup artist smiled at her through the mirror and left her dressing room after she thanked her.

 

“I really hate to disappoint you but I really don’t want to extend my stay there.” If only I could ever forget I ever set foot in that place, I will. “Besides, it’s not as if they’ll only need me for the photo shoot. If I’ll be the face of it, I have to stay for promotions, too.”

 

“The phone will be launched internationally and they’re willing to do promotions wherever you want to do it. I already told them you have engagements and here and around Italy and you simply can’t abandon everything.”

 

“Then why can’t they do the photo shoot here? I can do it before I leave.” Like what Victoria said, it was serious money and if they’re willing to do it in her terms then she won’t pass up the chance.

 

“Thing is, you’ll be doing it with someone else, the son of the owner, I think and he can’t leave Korea either.” Yixing’s heart stopped for a second. Then she remembered the youngest Choi male was a part-time model and she began breathing evenly again. But then again, it’s another valid reason not to accept the job.

 

“Sorry, they’ll have to find someone else.” Victoria sighed but let it go.

 

**********************************

 

Yixing stepped out of the departure area and hailed a cab. Her host offered to pick her up but she declined. The less people knew she’s in Korea, the better. She settled on the back seat and closed her eyes. It had been seven years and she didn't want to see the changes around her. It will only bring back painful memories. After she accepted Christian's proposal, she reluctantly packed for Seoul.

Her life in Milan had been manageable. Living in a foreign country helped her a great deal in forgetting all the things that happened before she left South Korea.

 

"Ahgassi, we're here." She opened her eyes and saw that one of the hotel's bellmen was already opening the car door for her. "Welcome to Hotel Astoria!" She was brought to her room while dodging glances from curious guests. She didn't know how long it would take, her stay. She left several messages for him but he didn't return any of her calls and she loathed it.

 

She just brought a few pieces of clothing and in less than an hour, she was able to unpack everything. Before she placed her suitcase inside the closet, she extracted a manila envelope out of it. She sent him a copy of the divorce papers furnished by her lawyer but he just won't cooperate. Time to pay the bastard a visit. She thought but decided that she would have to wait until tomorrow. Her whole being was screaming for rest. Before she retired to bed, she made an overseas call to Italy just to let her fiancé know that she landed safely.

 

***************************

 

"What are you planning to do now?" Baekhyun asked Minseok. They were in the gym inside their home. Minseok was doing Pilates for pregnant women.

 

"I am raising my child on my own." She said determinedly while balancing herself on top of the large ball. "And I hope to hell that this will be the last time that we talk about this.” She snapped. “There are a lot of things you have to give your attention to. When are you leaving?" Her sister will be pursuing graduate studies in London. Baekhyun, unlike her, had always been a filial daughter. She'd always been regarded as a weakling and Minseok, the go-getter. Even the values their father instilled in them didn't prevent her in going after the only man she loved. A man that she loved from afar.

 

She knew Luhan was oblivious about her existence until the day she appeared in his doorstep. She was in her second year in Harvard Business School when she saw him. They were of the same age but he was already finishing his doctorate degree. He was a champion Polo player and he was dating the most popular girl in the university at that time, Jung Key. While she was just a nobody. Luhan and his brother Joonmyeon, were very popular in Harvard at that time. They came from a family of geniuses and they didn't just excel in academics but also in sports and the arts. She even took fine arts electives just to catch a glimpse of him painting in one of the studios.

 

"I am leaving after Chinese new year." Baekhyun's answer made her cut her trip short down memory lane. She spent both her undergraduate and graduate studies in the United States while her sister became obsessed in everything European. She got her degree in literature from University of Bologna in Italy.

 

"Baekhyun, you have to take care of yourself. I know I've not been a good example but you and I are not the same. I know you'll never do what I did. Be wise." She got up from the bench and wiped the beads of sweat on her forehead.

 

"Unnie, people make mistakes and you and Dad don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself." She said while removing her spectacles.

 

"Why are you still using that? Your astigmatism was gone ages ago, right?" She pried. Baekhyun was an epitome of a geek. She didn’t just eat Shakespeare for breakfast but she dress like she’s from the book too.

 

"We are not talking about my fashion sense today." She declared and went out of the gym to go to her room. Growing up, Minseok would always criticize how she dressed. She dressed conservatively and she knew she looked older than her sister who's six years her senior. She's just comfortable with whatever she was wearing and didn't see any reason to change her style. She was updating her blog when her cell phone rang. "Hello?"

 

"Good morning, Ms.Kim. This is Edward Oh." The caller introduced himself.

 

"Hey, Mr. Oh. What's up?" She asked.

 

"I found everything that you need. Do you want to drop by the agency or you want us to meet somewhere else?" He asked.

 

"Oh. That's great! I'll just drop by your office. Thank you!"

 

********************************

 

"I am here to see Dr. Choi Yifan." She raised her chin up and looked directly at the receptionist. One wrong answer from her and she would have to hurt her. Yixing was growing impatient with Yifan's unhelpfulness and pathetic excuses.

 

She might have noticed that she was really pissed. "Just a moment, Ma'am." The redhead foreigner pressed buttons on the interphone and spoke in Spanish thinking that she won't be able to understand. "Hola Cathy?--Sí. Tengo una a mujer muy exigente aquí buscando a su jefe.--Debe ser uno de los admiradores ardientes.--Está usted seguro que usted quiere enviarla arriba?--Bueno. Enviaré la seguridad por si acaso." She turned to a now fuming Yixing. "You can proceed to his office Ma'am. It's on the 45th floor."

 

"Gracias. Y su nombre es?" Her smile saccharine.

 

"Au-Aurora." The girl paled upon hearing her speak the language.

 

"Gracias otra vez Aurora. Tendría que decir a mi esfoso usted fue tamaña ayuda." And she sauntered to the elevators. Upon reaching the 45th floor, another redhead was seated behind a counter. Must have been briefed by the one downstairs 'cause she assisted her without much questions. She lead her into a massive door and knocked. "Rachel? Ms. Zhang here wants to see the Dr. Choi." She turned to her again. "She''ll further assist you Ms. Zhang." She bowed her head and went back to her place. Yixing was trying to hide her smile.

 

"Can I help you, Ms. Zhang?" She asked in a strict tone while perusing her from head to toe. This one was a native but treated her with not much difference. My god. Do I have to go over her dead body just to talk to him?!

 

"Yes. I am here to see Dr. Choi." She said matter-of-factly. She could bet her house in Milan this girl desires Yifan. Big time.

 

"Do you have an appointment?" She said while clicking into her computer and smiled when she made sure she didn't. "I just checked it and I believe you don't, Ms. Zhang. I’ll be happy to put something in the book for you though."

 

"I don't have to set up an appointment to see my husband, do I?" That time, adjoining double doors opened and the man she wanted to see stepped out and he looked genuinely surprised to see her. No. Surprise was not the right term. He didn’t even look remotely happy to see her.

 

****************************************

 

"Yixing!" Yifan held on the door knob for support. She had left him messages that he didn't bother to return but he never expected that she'll fly all the way from God knows where. At least not very soon. But she was really here. In the flesh.

 

"Good to see you, dear husband." She walked towards him and kissed Yifan on the cheek. She hated the part that she had to tiptoe just to kiss him as he was standing straight as a pole, still shocked. When he finally recovered, he dragged her inside his office to the secretary's consternation.

 

"Will you let go of me?" She said sternly as he closed the door. He was still holding her elbow tightly. He let go of her and walked towards his desk.

 

He pressed a button on the interphone. "Where are you staying?" Yifan asked.

 

"Astoria." She answered absentmindedly.

 

"Please call the hotel and let them pack all her things. Have it brought to my house as soon as possible." He turned to his secretary again.

 

"Yes, Sir." She's like a lapdog, Yixing noted.

 

"Wait a minute, what are you doing?" She asked but the secretary already stepped out.

 

"After you announced to the world that you are married to me, it would only be proper for you to stay in my house, don't you think? Staying at our own hotel wouldn't make much of a difference though." He smiled mockingly at her that Yixing wanted to hit him.

 

"I did not announce it to the world!" She retorted.

 

"Oh, is that so? My secretary works faster than the Associated Press." He had to admit that his secretary was the main source of gossip in the whole building. She used to work for Chanyeol but when he noticed that she was being nosy about his escapades, he ditched her and passed her on to him.

 

"I didn't have to do that if it’s a little easier to talk to you!" She's totally exasperated. "Anyway, I know you got the papers that I sent you." She said accusingly.

 

"Yes. I haven't read them yet. I've been really busy. What is it about?" He could recite the whole divorce papers to her if she wanted to.

 

"You are incorrigible. I want out." She sent him a death glare.

 

"You've been out for seven years, Mrs. Choi." He wanted to spite her more. He's starting to love this.

 

"That's not much of a difference then, is it?" She brought the papers out of the envelope. "What are you waiting for then? Sign."

 

"When did you acquire the right to boss me around?" He asked, not giving the papers a glance. "You have to talk to my lawyer about this. Now, if you would excuse me, I have a lot of things to do."

 

Yixing can't believe that he was dismissing her. "Why don't you just make it easier for us both?" She grabbed his hand before he can move away. She was surprised by the effect he still had on her. She dropped his hand like she was burnt.

 

Yifan just looked at her with boring eyes for what seemed like forever. "I'll have someone take you to my house." And he stepped out of his office giving her no chance to retaliate. I need a change of plan.

 

***************************

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath and made a warning knock before opening the door. A woman in her mid-forties looked up from her computer when she entered the room. In one swift movement of her index finger, she raised her glasses from her nose to take a good look at her. "Yes? Can I help you?"

 

"Good morning, Ma'am. I am Kyungsoo from Nancy's Cafe. I am here to deliver this." She raised her right hand carrying the box of the mango cream pie.

 

"Oh. So that was you I was talking to the other day. I am sorry about what happened, Kyungsoo. Here, I'll take that." She said while scrambling from her seat. She got the pie from her and went to the closed door at the opposite side of the room. Must be the pantry. When she got out, she seemed surprised to see her still there.

 

"Uhm, Ms. Yang...I want to give this back to you." She handed her an envelope.

 

"What's this?" She asked but at the same time opening the envelope.

 

"I've decided to give the pie to you for free, Ma'am. I am so sorry about what happened the last time." She said while rocking herself in her heels.

 

"No, no Kyungsoo...I should be the one saying sorry, you know. For how he reacted. He's not usually like that but he was just upset the other day." She said in defense of her boss. Not really believing what she said.

 

"Just the same. I think I added to the things responsible for his being upset and," She fidgeted. "Please don't close down our business." She tried very hard not to sound desperate but to no avail.

 

"Close down what?" Said a gruff voice from the now-opened adjoining door.

 

Kyungsoo threw her gaze from Corinne to the direction of the voice and there he was, in his usual casual get up. Button down long sleeved shirt and dark jeans. He looked more of a runway model than a CEO. He was wearing the same annoying smirk and Kyungsoo didn't know if she would feel afraid for her aunt's business or simply annoyed. He's clearly not aware how rude he was the last time, is he? But for Nancy's sake, she bowed down. Her body a perfect right angle. "I’m so sorry, Mr. Choi. I want to apologize about what happened. I just delivered the pie." She smiled awkwardly.

 

"Why would I eat it? What if because of what happened, you were contemplating on poisoning me?" Jongin didn't know why he had to . When she looked at him earlier, he saw defiance in her eyes before she bowed down. One thing he didn't see often except from his sister's eyes. He also noticed that she's quite pretty minus the café uniform. Her hair that was usually in braid, now framing her whole face. The overhead air conditioning system gently blowing it. She was wearing khaki pedal pushers and a black tank top. In her feet where checkered ballet flats. Face void of make up except from lip gloss, perhaps? Her lips looked soft and...well, inviting. He shook his head slightly, clearing his thoughts. He smiled challengingly at her.

 

Kyungsoo took it as the last straw. She raised her chin and looked at him straight in the eyes. Any trace of intimidation flew. In a matter of seconds, she was in front of him and before reason could take over the better part of her, she slapped him hard across his beautiful face. She barely heard Corinne's gasp.

"I am not a murderer!" She half-ran towards the door and before she opened it, she took a deep breath and, "Good day, Ms. Yang. See you around." She said without looking at her and bolted out of the door.

 

Corinne remembered to close . She didn't know she was holding her breath. She looked at her boss and his face was blank but not without a reddish remembrance of what just happened. He was looking at the door where Kyungsoo exited moments ago. "Son, you were rude to the girl." She managed to say after a long moment of silence.

 

He didn't know how to react either. It was the very first time that a woman dared to hit him. But he must agree with Corinne, what he said was simply unreasonable. It was meant as a joke and since he can't even remember when was the last time he cracked one, he may have forgotten how to. No person would be happy being accused of killing someone. He thought of going after her but decided against it. He went back to his office without looking at his secretary. He found himself not able to concentrate at work the whole afternoon. He didn't even remember to take his lunch. After hours of pretending to work, he just decided to go home.

 

*************************************************************************************

 

A/N:  To Yixingmaid: I know, it’s one of my weaknesses. I always try to add more characters. I’m trying to work on it. But this is the first story I wrote and I really can’t change too much lest the plot will completely change. Bu t I am going each and every chapter, editing, deleting, and rewriting as much as I can.

Everyone: Thank you for all of your support. Please let me know what you think. Your comments inspire me. J