Chapter 51

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Keep trying for Himchan." Yongguk ordered as he wound through the streets in his car.

The LCD screen in his car lit up, signalling an incoming call from Woon, but Yongguk declined the call and kept driving.

"Where are we even going? We have no idea where she is or where she's planning on heading to." His father said as he held his phone up to his ear.

Himchan wasn't answering.

"She couldn't have gotten far. She was still in there when the police arrived." Yongguk's face was stiff as he pressed his foot on the acceleration, weaving through traffic.

"She might've snapped, but she's still rational. She'll think before she does something." Soo Juk said, trying to ease the growing tension on Yongguk's mind.

"Rational? She cut off three of his fingers." He balked.

Soo Juk shook his head. He trust Ah Min and Hae Yong. They wouldn't have raised a reckless daughter.

"She'd doing everything with a reason. She isn't acting solely on emotion, she has a though process."

"So you're saying that what she's doing right now is okay?" Yongguk asked incredulously.

"No, I'm saying that she's still rational enough for us to try to talk her down from whatever she's doing if we get to her first. That's where you step in. Only you can do it." Soo Juk said.

Yongguk's jaw clenched, "That's not good enough."

"You can't protect her forever, Yongguk. She grew up just as fast as you did."

The screen in his car lit up again, but instead of Woon's name, it was Luhan's name that was flashing.

"Decline it?" His father asked as he hovered his finger over the screen.

"No!" Yongguk exclaimed. "He was the last one to see her." He felt his last nerve pushing on edge as he pressed the accept button.

"Before you yell at me, just know that I wasn't a hundred percent on board." Luhan's voice chimed throughout the car.

"Luhan where are you?" Yongguk asked through gritted teeth.

"At the airport." He said simply.

Soo Juk frowned at the screen, "What the hell is going on?"

"Look, I don't have a lot of time to talk before I need to board, but I didn't want to leave you in the dark."

Yongguk's eye brow twitched, "What do you mean?"

Luhan let out a deep breath, "Eun Ah made me set up Ryu's car near his hideout where she was keeping hi,. After he escaped, he took his car and drove off. She made me set up another car for herself, but without telling her, I placed a tracker on her car, just in case things got out of hand but she doesn't know that I did it."

Soo Juk just stared at the screen with his jaw hanging open, but Yongguk frowned, "Why would she make you set a car up for Ryu? How would you know he escaped?"

Luhan chuckled as a voice called for everyone boarding the plane to Shanghai, in the background, "You picked a smart one, Yongguk. I expect nothing less from the future Mrs. Bang Eun Ah."

"What are you talking about?"

"Ryu didn't manage to escape because he outsmarted her. He escaped because she wanted him too."

-----

"Aren't you worried that she'll try something drastic? What if she tries to kill him. I'm not losing Ryu, we finally have what we need to pin this bastard to the wall." The Chief of Organized Crimes said as he and Woon raced to their vehicles.

He had put out an ABP for Ryu's car and he just got a call back saying that the car was spotted driving along the freeway.

"Exactly. She wouldn't have left us this lengthy confession if she was just going to kill him anyways. What would be the point of that?" Woon said defensively.  

"Why do you trust her so much? She could ruin our whole investigation. Months of work and evidence will all be useless if Ryu's dead." The Chief barked in irritation.  

Woon stopped by his door before turning slowly to face the chief, "That woman is Ah Min's daughter. I trust her as much as I trust him. If she's handing us this much evidence, then I'm not going to let it go to waste."

"And if she does kill him?" He asked with a quirked brow.

Woon's jaw clenched as he got into his car, the Chief taking the seat beside him.

"I'll do everything in my power to keep her out of jail."

-----

Eun Ah's face was set with a scowl as the traffic around her started to lessen.  There wasn't a single car on the road besides hers, but that didn't bother her at all.

In fact, it made things a lot easier.

She looked at her phone that was propped up on the dashboard and watched the red dot move. Her phone started to ring and she glanced at the screen as she pull to a stop.

Her stone face started to crack when Yongguk's face lit up her screen. She bit down on her lip and tightened her grip around the wheel as she tried to keep herself in check.

She wanted, more than anything, to hear his voice and listen to him talk to her, telling her to take a deep breath and calm down. She wanted him to thaw out the current frigid block inside her chest.  She knew that Ryu as bull. She had three years of proof showing that her relationship with Yongguk ran deeper than their obsession with him.  

In fact, Ryu only ever came up in conversation when the man himself provoked them.

So she wanted to hear his warm voice but she knew that he must've figured out what she was doing by now which meant that the only words he was going to say her were probably to try and convince her to stop.

Her finger hovered over the accept button, her heart beating loudly before pressing decline.

She couldn't do this now. She had already invested too much already, it was too late to back down.

"Please don't hate me when this is all over." She muttered while switching her phone back to the red dot.

She wondered what he would say when all of this was over. She wasn't exactly sure if she was ready for to see the disappointment in his eyes.

She wasn't sure if she was ready to see anything in his eyes that wasn't love.

But she was the one who made the choices that would lead up to whatever reaction he had. She wasn't going to blame Ryu for what she had done today. Everything she did was based off of her own decisions and she was going to stand by them.

Eun Ah hit a number on her phone and put it on speaker as she began driving again. The phone rang a few times, the buzz being the only sound in the car until someone finally picked up.

"My girl, you need to be a lot more careful than that. I almost respected you back there for a second." Ryu said with a laugh.

Eun Ah stayed silent, her eyes blurring with tears as she bit down on her lips until she could taste blood.

"A rookie mistake."

"Please." Her voice cracked at she sniffled, "Please don't sell me to the cops. I-I wasn't in the right state of mind. I was emotional. I was being rash because tensions were running high. I'm not a bad person. Please let me off. Please."

Ryu started laughing, but her tears were still streaming down her face as her voice shook, "I-I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't want to take your fingers. I'm…I'm so sorry. Please. Please don’t hurt me. Don't hurt my family."

"Oh, Eun Ah. I--"

"Is that what you expected me to say?" She snapped, her voice changing from fearful to firm. Her eyes froze over and her tears dried up.

The quivering voice was gone, the pleading was lost and the ferocity was back.

"You're a joke if you thought that I'd ever beg you for anything." Her voice rippled with a growl.

Ryu stayed silent for a second before snorting, "You really have become a stellar actress."

"Are you done running? You think you can last? It'll only be a matter of time. It might be a cliché, but you can run but you can't hide." She glanced at the screen, watching the red dot move and continued to drive in the opposite direction.

Ryu sighed dreamily, "Shouldn't I be asking you the same thing? You always make comments about me not being able to capture you, but it seems like you're the same way. When will you learn that I will always manage to escape."

"You shouldn't be so confident." She gritted out.

"And you shouldn't be so hostile. You're just upset that you messed up. Honestly I commend you for your efforts. You had a good plan but at the end of the day, you just got ahead of yourself. I escaped because of you."

Eun Ah couldn't fight the smile off of her face before pretty giggles escaped her lips. She pulled off to the side of the road and leaned back in her seat. She covered with her good hand, but the laughter still bubbled through, nice, full and joyful.

"What's so funny?" Ryu's voice sounded light, but she could still hear the strain behind it.

She shook her head, panting from the laughter as she pulled the car back on the road. "I just find it funny that you think that it's a bad thing."

Ryu clicked his tongue over the phone. She heard him hiss and she was sure that the 7 fingers he had left weren't doing so well.

She wondered how he was even managing to drive.

"Think what is a bad thing?" She could tell that he was getting more and more irritated.

She glanced at the red dot that was still moving in the opposite direction as her. "That you think that me being the reason you escaped is a bad thing."

"Is it not?" He asked mockingly.

Eun Ah hummed as she glanced at her injured arm. A big portion of the skin was discolouring and the pain was starting to get to her, but she had to solider on.

She had to.

"Devlin Ryu." Eun Ah stated softly. "You don't know much about me as a child, do you?"

Ryu grunted quietly, "No. Your parents hid you like a chest of gold."

"But you know that my father is a police officer, right?"

"The worst kind." He snapped.

Eun Ah shrugged her shoulders, "That’s your opinion. To me, my father was one of the best cops around, which was why he wanted to make sure his little girl knew how to handle herself."

"Are you done reminiscing about the father I killed? Haven't you spent the late 13 years doing that?" He mocked dryly.

"My father made sure I was enrolled in girl scouts so that I learned how to fend for myself." She took a slow deep breath. "And you want to know what one of the first things they teach you?"

"Enlighten me. There's nothing I'd rather know more about than you as a girl scout. Did you sell cookies? Did you make s'mores?" He asked sarcastically.

"They teach you how to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter