Chapter 8

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Well, that should about do it for today." Her therapist said as she closed her file.

Eun Ah grabbed her bag and got ready to stand up. She didn't talk the whole hour. She'd reply to any of the therapist's general questions but anytime she tried to talk about Yongguk, Eun Ah would shut down, refusing to answer.

"But, there's one more thing I wanted to do."

Eun Ah raised her brows and sat back down.  "What?"

Her therapist smiled and place her glasses on top of her head. "I want you to meet someone."

There was a knock on the door and the therapist's smile grew as she stood up to open the door. Eun Ah craned her neck, but she couldn't see the person on the other side.

"Is this him? He's so cute!"

She watched the woman take something in her hands before saying goodbye to someone and closing the door.

She turned around and Eun Ah's eyes widened that their 'guest.'

"Oh my God."

The woman smiled and brought the puppy closer. "He's adorable isn't he?"

Eun Ah felt an unconscious smile work up her lips as she pet the puppy on the head, it's soft fur tickling her palm. Her therapist's eyes shone when she saw the girl's lips curl up. The puppy nuzzled its head in her hand before tilting its head up to her.

She giggled and cupped his face, scratching his cheeks. "He's sweet. What's his name?"

"It's Watson. Say hi Watson." She waved with his little paw, but he was too busy at Eun Ah's wrist.

"Is he yours?" She asked curiously.

"No. He's yours."

Eun Ah's head jolted up as she stared at the woman in surprise, "Wait. What?"

"Watson is going home with you. Forever."

"W-why?"

"Watson here is a therapy puppy. He knows how to pick up and react to drastic changes in human emotion, almost like a sixth sense. I checked your medical files and since you're not allergic to fur, I thought this would be a nice way for you to take your mind off of things." She said while handing him over to Eun Ah.

The minute he fell into her hands, he put his front two paws on her shoulders, her cheek with a happy bark and wagging tail.

"Are you sure? I-I can keep him?" She said as she tightened her grip around him.

"Of course." She handed Eun Ah a piece of notepad paper. "This is a list of things that you need to get him. He's a really friendly dog and I think taking care of him is going to be really good for you. You need to start going out more, sober. Taking him for walks will be a great way to start."

Eun Ah lifted the puppy up to look him in the eyes. "Do you want to come home with me, little guy?"

The pup barked and let his tongue loll out.

"I think he likes you."

-----

Eun Ah closed the door to the therapist's office behind her and placed Watson on the ground. She held his leash tightly in her hand as the little guy trotted around her feet, sniffing at the ground.

She watched him walk around with a small grin. She felt uncomfortable knowing he was a 'therapy' dog, but he was tiny and so cute that she brushed away the discomfort. She didn't remember the last time her heart felt warm.

She wondered what kind of dog her and Yongguk would've gotten after they got married. He had always said that he wanted to get a dog to protect his wife and future kids when he wasn't home. She thought about whether or not they'd pick a dog like Watson, or something else.

"Alright, let's go Watson."

She tugged on her leash, pulling the curious guy towards the exit when someone stepped out of a door near her.

"Yeah, I'll be here next week." A gruff voice said.

"Kris?"

Kris Wu jerked his head up and shot an agitated look at the sound of his name. His face softened when he saw Eun Ah tilting her head at him, with a small puppy running around her feet.

"Oh…uh… hey. What are you doing here?" He rubbed the back of his neck as he took a step closer to her. The two of them knew each other, but he could hardly call them friends. They didn't really spend that much time together unless it was at a formal gathering. But even then, she'd usually be around Yongguk.

He wasn't really sure how to talk to her when she was alone. He didn't know what he should say since the last time he saw her was at her fiancé's  funeral.

'Sorry for you loss?'

'How are you doing?'

'Hey, what's up?'

'How are you coping with the death of your loved one without hurtling into a pit of self-hate and depression?'

He had no idea.

Eun Ah blinked at him before point to the door behind her. "Therapy."

"Oh, duh, right. Obviously. Why else would you be here?" Kris flinched when he noticed himself rambling.

He never rambled.

It made him sound stupid.

Eun Ah chuckled, "I'm guessing you're here for the same thing. Unless there's some super secret mission you're on."

Kris's smile didn't reach his eyes as he looked away.

He didn't really like smiling, "Uh, yeah. I see one of the doctors here once a week."

Eun Ah nodded but her mind filled with curiosity. She couldn't imagine why someone like Kris would need to go to therapy.

Maybe all the gang violence stuff is getting to him.

An awkward silence filled the air as the two of them searched for something to talk about. Watson must have sensed something because the little guy started letting out little annoyed huffs, trying to get their attention.

Kris's eyes widened. "Is that yours?"

Eun Ah bent down and rubbed the top of Watson's head, "Yeah. Therapy dog."

She acted cavalier but she felt her face heat up in embarrassment. She must have sounded like a basket case, so emotionally unstable that she needed a canine chaperone to make sure she didn't drink herself into oblivion or wallow in depression.

She really was a mess.

All of a sudden she found herself feeling self-conscious, but she didn't know why. It made her felt judged and scrutinized.

"What's its name?"

She looked up in surprise when Kris stood above her, staring intently at the little ball of fluff like it was a mutant species.

She squinted her eyes when she noticed  his blonde hair. Her eyes widened a fraction as she tried to picture his hair with a black hood over it.

Kris was the leader of EXO M, he must be in charge of Exotic which meant that he was close to Minseok the Bartender.

Could he have been the one that took me home?

But none of that made sense to her. Why would Kris come to help her? Sure they knew each other, but not enough to bail her out of being black out drunk.

They weren't tight enough for him to do her a favour. If she was in a tough situation, his name wouldn't even cross her mind.

And Himchan already said that he was the one who took her home.

So why would Minseok call his leader when he could just call the girl's brother?

Snap out of it, Eun Ah.

"Um…Eun Ah?" Kris felt prickly at her penetrating gaze and shifted on his feet.  

She shook her head. "Watson. His name is Watson."

Kris nodded but made no move to touch the little puppy who was whining at the lack of affection.

"This might be kind of a weird question…but do you own the club called Exotic?"

Kris blinked, "Yes, I do. I've had it for a while now. Why?"

"No reason just…do you work there a lot?"

Kris tilted his head at her, trying to decipher the look in her eyes before realizing that he was staring at her. "Not really. We have a separate staff there but sometimes the guys like to drop by and play shop."

"But you don't go there a lot?"

"No." Kris's blunt answer escaped his lips before he could form them more politely. He wasn't used to long winded conversations. He didn't have them very often.

Not unless he was with someone who he enjoyed talking to.

But he didn't have that anymore.

He had to calibrate when he was around people like Eun Ah, people that didn't normally exist in his universe.

People who were one in a million.

"Are you heading out now?"  He asked as Eun Ah got back on her feet.

"Yeah. I should be." Something inside her stirred when Kris said it wasn't him.

Was it relief?

"I'll walk you to your car." He offered. It surprised him a little, normally he'd just nod tersely before walking off, but he felt bad after knowing what she was going through.

What he had already gone through before.

Eun Ah was about to decline his offer when she felt the list her therapist gave her in her pocket.

"Actually, Himchan was supposed to pick me up."

Kris paused before cautiously offering. "Do you want a ride home?"

Eun Ah bit her lip before looking down at Watson, "Actually would you like to run an errand with me?"

-----

Kris had no ing clue how he ended up walking around a pet store.

Eun Ah was walking beside him, pushing a cart, with Watson in the front seat. He felt incredibly uncomfortable, but all he did was shove his hands in the pocket of his suit or help her lift dog food into her cart.

He trailed behind her, helplessly, as she tapped her lip, trying to find the right isle.

What am I doing?

Eun Ah glanced at him from her peripheral and took note of his distant look. She started feeling guilty, roping him into this, but she felt like maybe she should bond better with the people who had helped her and Yongguk so much in the past.

She didn't want to just write them all off.

She owed them.

She  spotted an employee scanning i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter