Chapter 52

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She had been sitting in that damn room for 7 hours now repeating the same story over and over again to different officers, lawyers and detectives.

Ryu killed her parents.

Ryu kidnapped her and her brother.

She got revenge.

And then she'd say it all over again.

Maybe it was 2 AM or it could be 3 AM.

She couldn't tell, there wasn't a clock in the room.

She was taken to the hospital to get the cut on her forehead stitched up and re-brace her arm, but the minute she was done, they dragged her back to the precinct.

She leaned her head down on the table and took in a deep, watery breath to hold her tears in. She had yet to see Yongguk or speak to anyone that wasn't part of the precinct, frankly.

She felt like she was in a sound proof bubble.

"Ms. Hwang."

She looked up when a greying man, looking to be in his forties walked into the room with a pile of files in his hands. He closed the door and stood on the other side of the table, across from her and set a paper cup of cheap coffee in front of her.

"It's been a long day, hasn't it? I'm afraid there is still a lot for us to go over."

Eun Ah kept her lips tucked into as she stared at the cup of inky coffee in front of her.

"Where's Chief Woon?" She mumbled.

The Chief looked at her before opening an file, scanning the contents, "Woon is the Chief of Violent Crimes, even though he played a large role in Ryu's arrest, this isn't his case or unit."

Eun Ah frowned and kept her head down.

"Let's get started, shall we? You've kidnapped and tortured a man while keeping him at gun point with the intent to kill. I'm thinking this could equal a total of 10 years, maybe more since you don't have a license to carry."

Eun Ah gulped and squeezed her eyes closed, her hands in her lap.

"But…"

She jerked her head up and stared at Chief with wide eyes. "You not only retrieved important, case closing information and detained a dangerous, wanted criminal you did it after being kidnapped and attack by him.  And taking into account the past that you share with Ryu along with the fact that he had kidnapped you and your brother allows the us the argument that you were suffering from trauma and psychological strain."

Eun Ah parted her lips and blinked at him dumbly, "I don't…I don't understand."

The Chief closed his file and looked up before lacing his fingers together on top of the table. "If you are willing to testify against Ryu for all the crimes that he's committed against you, any and all charges against you will be dropped."

"Y-You can do that?" She asked, astounded.

The Chief tilted his head, "It wasn't easy and it took a lot of persuading, but we got the judge and the Ryu's lawyer to agree to the terms."

"He-he has a lawyer?" She whimpered.

He shook his head, "It was a court appointed lawyer, which means it won't be the best lawyer that money can buy. The charges and evidences against Ryu are pretty irrefutable, I wouldn't be surprised if his lawyer encouraged him to plead guilty."

fell open and tears started to fill her eyes. "Oh my god. Thank you. Thank you so much."

The Chief didn't share her gratitude and shook his head, "I wouldn't thank me just yet. Taking the stand isn't an easy thing. It's probably the most stressful."

"I understand." Her hands were trembling and her voice was wavering. "I-I understand."

"You'll meet with a lawyer, go over your statement and prepare yourself for the cross examination. The trial will happen within the week." He handed her a list of things she had to prepare for and expect.

"It can be that fast?"

He nodded, "Due to the extent and severity of his crimes, we want this trial underway as soon as possible."

"Okay." She said softly, eyeing the page. There were so many words and so much information for her to take in, it was barely processing.

The Chief sighed in defeat and let his shoulders drop. He pulled off his glasses and tried to give her the softest look he could muster up.

"I know this is a lot to take in, but your help is greatly needed and appreciated. We have been following this bastard for years and this is the closest we've every come to nailing him down. I won't lie to you, what you did was not something that I or the Seoul Police Department approve of, but that being said," He gave her a smile, "You kicked some pretty big ."

Eun Ah let out a small smile as she shook her head in disbelief. Her smile quickly faded as she stared at the sheet in front of her.

"I've only ever been in court once, for my parents' death." She mumbled.

"It will be hard and the defendant's side will try everything in their power to discredit you, but they don't stand a chance. You have a strong group of supporters, including your family and friends, so you won't have to worry." He said, awkwardly patting her hand.   

Eun Ah's head snapped up with a start, "Wait, what about Himchan? No one would tell me anything about him."

"He's fine. We found him at Incheon airport. He's totally fine, a few cuts and bruises but nowhere near the condition you were in. We still took him in for a check up and we're taking his statement down. You should thank him for the amount of leniency you got. He's one of this precinct's top officers, so when everyone found out that you were his sister, the kid gloves came on." The Chief said while gathering his notes together.

"I shouldn't be given special treatment." She whispered.

The Chief shrugged, "I thought so too, but when you really look at it, this deal is the most mutually beneficial. And it wasn't exactly 'special treatment.' people just gave you benefit of the doubt and at the end of the day, Ryu was the bigger picture…not you."

"So…so what now?" She asked.

The Chief cleared his throat, "You'll wait until someone from our side contacts you and sets up a meeting so that the preparations for the trial can go underway."

Eun Ah looked at the man, her eyes flickering between his before she sighed, "When can I go home?"

The Chief looked at the content of his file before closing it. "You can head out now. I believe the officers are about done with Himchan too. "

Eun Ah closed her eyes in relief before standing up. She glanced over at the Chief who looked hesitant to speak.

"Is there something else?"

His eyes shot up to hers before he stood up as well, "You've been through a lot today and well, most of your life but today was especially hard. I know you broke some laws but I also can tell that it's not what you wanted. When I read over your file I'm surprised that you haven't snapped sooner. I just want you to know that you have the whole police department behind you and we'll put him away for you…and for your parents."

Eun Ah gave him a 90 degree bow and stuck her hand out, "Thank you. I can't say that enough."

The Chief took her hand and then patted her awkwardly on the shoulder, nodding in reply. "Let me you out."

She winced when she stepped out of the door, the fluorescent lights hitting her face. She blinked a few times when she felt an arm sling around her neck. She turned her head and looked up at Himchan who was keeping his gaze forward.

"If I could think up the words to describe how furious I am with you, I would've said them by now and I'd probably would have to wash my mouth with soap." He said lazily.

Eun Ah grinned and struggled to use her injured arm to  fling it around his back. She was so relieved to see a familiar face and it made her heart swell. It was like the stress from everything that happened yesterday was easing away.  

"Oh don't be such a baby. You're just upset that I took him down and not you."

Himchan rolled his eyes, "Do you know how dangerous, stupid and risky, what you did was?"

"It didn't really take effect until after I was arrested." She said sarcastically.

"Also, I hope you know that this means that Watson's in my apartment without supervision all this time." He stated.

Eun Ah's face crinkled in confusion. "So? You love that thing."

"Soooo, if he wrecks my furniture while we're gone, you're replacing it. ing drugging me and all. You think I didn't recognize Luhan's car?"

Eun Ah wanted to be annoyed at him, but she could only smile fondly.

Himchan slowed his steps down before dropping his arm from her shoulder. He turned and looked at her, crossing his arms over his chest.

"How do you feel?"

Eun Ah stared at her braced arm, "Tired, sore and a little distraught. I can't believe everything happened. Even though I was the one who did most of it, it feels like it was someone else. It's this surreal feeling, like everything that happened in the last few hours was all a movie and I was on the outside watching in."

"It's the shock. It'll most likely wear off. But I'm glad you're okay. I'm really glad you're okay and I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. You're a strong one. You always were." He admitted, patting her on the head.

Eun Ah smiled softly and turned forward, walking away from him, "I would do a lot more for you, brother-brother."

-----

"One week. I don't see you for one week and you kidnap, torture and almost kill a man? Hwang Eun Ah what have I ever done to you? Haven't I raised you right at all? I spent years looking after you and this is how you repay me, you ungrateful brat."

Eun Ah winced every time Halmoni smacked the top of her head with a newspaper. She shot a glare at Himchan was grinning at her smugly while leaning against the car.

They were in an empty departm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter