Chapter 26

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hello?"

"This was it, wasn't it? This is what you didn't want to tell me. This is how he made his money, isn't it?" Eun Ah barked into her phone as she pulled hjjer coat over her frame while running to her car.

"What are you talking about Eun Ah?" Woon asked calmly.

"You knew, didn’t you? You knew and you didn't tell me. Why? What did you get out of keeping it a secret?" She spat back furiously.

Woon sighed softly, "Eun Ah, I need you to be specific because I have no idea what you're talking about."

"The ing meth!" She screamed as she slammed her foot on the gas pedal. She put her phone on speaker and pulled out of the driveway and spun the car around before racing away.

Woon was silent , he knew this would come out soon, but he didn't think it would happen so early with Yongguk still 'dead.'

"So this was it, huh? This was how he was making money. Through meth?" She asked accusingly when he didn't respond.

Woon took a deep breath. "You think Yongguk is selling meth?"

Eun Ah's bottom lip quivered as her grip tightened around the wheel. "I don't know. You're the one who said that there's something not right with his income."

"You should know him better than that."

"Really?! You've been telling me that I might not know him as well as I thought. You told me that knowing him for 3 years isn’t long enough to really know his past and who he is. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO MADE ME QUESTION HOW HE MADE HIS MONEY! SO WHAT THE TO YOU EXPECT?!" She screamed, her head pounding in aggravation.

"Eun Ah, I just wanted to see what your thoughts were. I never wanted you to think something like this." He said defensively.

"You're right. I have no idea how Yongguk always seemed to have money to spend without doing any work other than helping you. How Himchan is still able to pay the bills using the money from his account. I know that he has more money than I could ever fathom and that I have no idea where he gets it. But then I find this bag of crystal ing meth in his study and you're telling me that I should know better?" She said it all in one breath.

"That's not how he's making money. He's not selling drugs, but he has…other means of income."

"So why don’t you tell me?" She cried incredulously.

"I…I can't. Not yet. I'm sorry."

Eun Ah started laughing as she pulled to a red light. "I can't believe this. I can't believe you're still hiding this from me. You'd rather let me keep thinking that he was into something shady then tell me the truth."

"You'll find out soon enough, but there's nothing I can do for you now. It's not my story to tell…at least not now, just…just don't let your imagination get carried away." Woon said seriously.

"Woo--"

"Look Eun Ah, I need to go." Woon said evenly.

"Don't you dare hang up on--" The dial tone ringed loudly in the car after Woon hung up. She screamed loudly and slammed her phone on the floor. She hated that people were still keeping things from her, even after all this time.

But a part of her was at ease knowing that even though the drugs were involved, it may not be as black and white as she thought it was. There had to be an explanation to why the drugs were there and how Yongguk made his money.

But she needed that explanation soon or she would go insane,

She pressed down on the acceleration as she drove to her destination. She couldn't take this anymore, she was going to have to find her own  answers, all by herself.

-----

Kris jumped on Eun Ah's task the minute they hung up. There was no real reason behind his sudden motivation, but he was just glad that she was talking to him again. After everything that transpired between them, with Alice and Luhan and the kiss, he was sure he was never going to hear from her.

Until now.

He never heard the name Kang Jin Ho before so he was curious why Eun Ah wanted to know so much personal information about him. But he learned better than to question her but a part of him felt pricked that she was looking into some guy.

What made this Jin Ho guy so damn special?

He must've been pretty important if Eun Ah wanted to know everything about him and was willing to get Kris to do it for her.

Kris wasn't stupid enough to waste his time goggling Kang Jin Ho or asking around about him. He was pretty sure that Eun Ah must've tried all of that before she decided to call him. So he had to aim bigger, he went directly to the most reliable source.

The Seoul Police Department.

He sat in his car, watching Woon run out into his car and drive out of the parking lot. Woon was most likely the only man that would recognize Kris so he was the only obstacle.

When he was sure that  he was gone, Kris pulled a cap over his head and hung a fake police badge around his neck before getting out of his car and walking into the precinct with his head looking straight forward.

There was so much commotion due to a cat fight that broke out between two drunk girls that seemed to have been brought in for public disturbance, so most of the officers were busy pulling the girls off each other that his presence wasn't noticed.  

He glance both ways before he slipped into Woon's private office. He was grateful that the man got a promotion so that his office was tucked in the corner instead of out in the open in front of everyone.

He immediately closed the door behind him and went to work. He didn't bother with the man's computer because he knew it would be password protected and he knew that he didn't have a lot of time.

He quickly sifted through his cabinets and drawers that lined the office and came up empty before finally attacking his desk. His eyes scanned a bunch of crumpled papers and invoices. He shuffled through a bunch of case folders until he reached the bottom of the drawers.

He was about to place the files back in their place when his fingers grazed something at the corner. He squinted and noticed a small latch.

A false bottom.

He hooked his finger through the latch and yanked the plate of wood up to reveal a single file laying crisply.  

Kang Jin Ho.

Kris grinned to himself, almost disbelieving of his luck as he pulled it out. He was suddenly hit with nerves when it dawned to him that whoever this man was, linked to Eun Ah, he was important to be set aside and hidden away by Woon.

He gulped and flipped through the contents of the folder, it carried way more information than he expected. It held a passport, birth certificate, a photocopy of a driver's license, a health card, a citizenship card and a lot more official governmental records.

And they all had a familiar face staring back at him.

His eyes widened as he took all the information in. He thought that maybe it was a coincidence and maybe Woon was as surprised as he was at the similarities which was why he kept the folder separately in his desk. Maybe Woon had stumbled upon this man's file by accident and was so struck that he kept it aside.

He shifted through the pages until his he found the last document folded in the back of the file. It was a death certificate with a name that wasn't Kang Jin Ho.

His hands started to shake as his mind started to piece everything together, but before he got a chance to do anything about it, he heard Woon's voice echo through the building.

He knew what he had to do now.  

He only had one choice, one choice to protect everyone.

He quickly put the file back into its spot in his desk and grabbed an empty folder before slipping out of the office and walking through the crowd.

"Um…can I help you?" Kris kept his head down but flashed his eyes, from beneath his hat, at the name etched in the police badge on the man in front of him.

Park Dong Chul.

He glanced at the 20-something male with a chubby face and wide eyes before turning away. "No, I'm fine." He mumbled.

"Oh, are you an officer? How come I've never seen you before?" Dong Chul asked, placing his hand on Kris's arm.

Kris spotted Woon closing in and yanked his arm out of Dong Chul's grasp and moved away, ignoring the man's confused expression.

He pulled his hat lower and walked straight past Woon, barely brushing his shoulder.

Woon turned when someone nudged his shoulder, and saw the tall retreating figure fade out the door. He glanced at his office before frowning and following after the mysterious person. He made it to the door but saw no one there except the sound of a sports car peeling out of the parking lot.

-----

Eun Ah and Luhan were sitting in front of each other in a café with a frothy drink in front of both of them.

She had called Luhan up after her call with Kris, asking to meet up with him to talk. She felt so confused, especially after her call with Woon, that she needed someone to listen to her, someone who had  been through what she had.

They were chatting casually for a while but she could tell that Luhan was curious of what he was doing there with her. She had never made an attempt to hang out with him for fun and even though he was playing along, she knew that it was still at the back of his head. She waited until they both fell into a silence before bringing it up.

"Can I ask you a kind of personal question?" She inquired timidly.

Luhan tilted his head, his doe eyes blinking at her curiously. "Personal?"

"About Alice, I don't want to cross the line." Eun Ah said.

Luhan swallowed the lump down his throat and nodded, "Go ahead."

Eun Ah hesitated for a second before speaking carefully. "Has there ever been a time when you thought you saw Alice even after she was…gone?"

Luhan stayed frozen, but his eyes were flickering at hers, trying to read her thoughts, "You know about that."

She nodded slowly, "Kris told me about it a while ago. I-I'm sorry that I brought it up. I-I just wanted to know how to dealt with it. If maybe, I could talk to someone who knows what I'm going through."

Luhan leaned back on his chair, "No. No, it's fine. It's been 10 years, it's not a big deal. Why didn't you ask Kris

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter