Chapter 23

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Seriously, you're probably missing so much work." Eun Ah said as she walked alongside Himchan with Watson's leash in her grasp.

They were out for a walk and after annoying Himchan, she had finally managed to get him to join them.

Himchan shrugged, "Not really, I'm getting a lot of stuff done at home and Dong Chul and Chin Hwae got most of the field stuff covered, I already told you this."

Eun Ah frowned, "But you love field work."

Himchan snorted, "It's not like I'm never going to go back. I'll be fine."

Eun Ah pouted but didn't pushed the topic when Watson started barking. She looked down and noticed the puppy was pulling against his leash and was standing on his hind legs, trying to run across the street.

"What's wrong, boy?" Himchan turned to see what she was talking about and saw the dust ball barking furiously at something on the other side of the street. He kept tugging on the leash urgently as his barks were getting louder.

Himchan's brown creased as he tried to see what Watson was so worked up about. His eyes widened when he saw something on the other side of the road, weaving through the street. His eyes quickly flickered to Eun Ah who was still fussing over her dog. Before he had a chance to block her view, she looked up and scanned the crowd in confusion before her eyes locked on the source of Watson's distress.

Just as the WALK sign for pedestrians, her grip on Watson's leash slackened and the dog dashed across the street, leaving its owner frozen in shock.

"Eun--"

"No." She mumbled in disbelief.

"Wai--"

"No!" She exclaimed loudly before racing across the street.

"WAIT!" Himchan ran after her, the lights turning green. He held his hands out to the cars mumbling apologies at the honking cars as he tried to catch up with his sister.

Eun Ah couldn't hear anyone as her feet moved faster than they ever did before. She pushed through the crowd, shoving people out of the way as her vision started blacking everyone out except one.

The one that Watson was making a beeline for.

"Yongguk!" She grabbed the man's arm and spun him around before stumbling back.

It's you.

He looked exactly like him. An exact carbon copy.

Sure, his face looked slimmer, he had scruff all over his chin, his hair was pale blonde and his body looked thinner, but it had to be him.

The same eyes, the same lips, the same nose, the same grin, the same damn smell.

It was him.

It had to be.

"Y-Yongguk. It's you. Oh my God. I-I can't believe this. It's really you, you're alive. Ho-how?" Her fingers dug into his arm as if she was worried that he would evaporate.

She had no idea how this was possible, she had no idea how this was even real and if wasn't for his muscles under her grip, she would've thought she was hallucinating.

She's done it before.

She was just so happ--

"I'm sorry ma'am, but do I know you?"

W-what?

"That's not funny, Yongguk. What the hell happened to you? W-where have you been? I-I can't believe this. I thought you died! I've missed you so much." Tears started filling her eyes as her hands slipped around his waist and pressed her body to his warm side. 

Her heart crumbled in confusion, when he grabbed her arms and yanked her away from him. "I'm sorry ma'am, I think you must have me confused with someone else."

Her body started trembling in confusion as the tears started to escape her eyes. Her teeth started chattering but it wasn't from the cold, it was from disbelief.

"Yongguk, what are you talking about?"

Himchan ran up to Eun Ah, almost knocking her over when he ran into her. "Where the hell did you…go?"

His words trailed when his eyes met with the stranger that looked exactly like his dead best friend.

"I'm telling you ma'am, I'm not this Yongguk guy and I have  no idea who you are." The man repeated. Himchan could hear his voice straining.

"No…No, you don't understand. Don't you remember me? It's me, your Hwang." She said pleadingly. His grasp was still around her wrists as he held her off of him. She could feel her heart strumming from his touch.

There was no doubt that it was him. But she couldn't understand why he didn't remember her.

"I'm sorry, your name is…Hwang? That's your real name?" He asked in confusion, his brows knitting beautifully.  

Himchan stood stiffly behind her, not moving and not speaking as he watched the exchange. He felt a little nervous when he started hearing the hysteria in Eun Ah's voice as her hands kept reaching for the man.

It wasn't going to turn out well if she kept forcing herself on a stranger.

"You-You're joking, right? It's me…your fiancée. Your love."

The man's eyes twitched in utter bewilderment and almost immediately, Eun Ah looked down at his hand and gasped when there wasn't anything on his fingers.

No ring, nothing.

"Okay, ma'am, I need you to listen to me. I do not know who you are and I have no idea what you're talking about because I have never met you before in  my life and I am not engaged to anyone." He spoke to her slowly like to a child but the whole thing shook her soul.

"W-wait, n-no. I-It's you. I'm sure it's you. Did you lose your memory? It's me! See, look for yourself!" She lurched forward and yanked the back of his shirt down to expose his tattoo.

But it wasn't there.

It was just blank skin.

"Wh-what?" She stuttered in disbelief.

"Eun Ah!" Himchan hissed scolding, while yanking her off of the man.

"W-where's your tattoo?" She asked shakingly.

The man's face was filled with irritation as he helped Himchan pull her off.

"What the hell is your problem? I don't have a tattoo. How many times do I need to repeat myself to you. I don't know you! Stop. Just stop, holy !" The man snapped, his eyes blazing in anger.

"NO!" Eun Ah screamed before ripping out of Himchan's grip and grasping his face and slamming her lips against his.

He tasted exactly the same. And by God, she missed his taste. She moaned shamelessly into his stiff lips as she pulled his neck down lower.

Himchan was sputtering behind her, calling her name and trying to pull her out, but she wouldn't budge. She started running her fingers through his blonde strands, ignoring the fact that the man was frozen solid, his body not melting in hers, like Yongguk's would or that his lips hadn't moved once since she kissed him.

She pulled on his hair and at his mouth for entrance and that was when he snapped. He pushed her off of him with so much force that she almost knocked Himchan over.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?" He boomed, his eyes masked and suddenly foreign.

"Yonggu--"

"NO! I'm not Yongguk, I'm not your fiancée and I'm not some guy you can randomly kiss. Look, I'm sorry that this guy left you and that you don't know where he is, but it's not me. So please, please, leave me alone." He mumbled through his gritted teeth while taking a shaky step away from her.

Eun Ah's eyes started filling with tears again and pained whimpers left her lips when she could still taste him.

"Yongguk, please, I love you, don't say tha--"

Himchan couldn't take it anymore and stepped in before Eun Ah did something even worse. "Look man, I'm sorry for all of this, but you look exactly like her fiancé, it's kinda hard to believe that it's not you. Maybe if you could show us ID, we can just clear this all up and be on our way and leave you alone."

The man glared at Himchan. "Why should I? I don't need to do anything for you guys."

Eun Ah was still shaking beside Himchan her hands fighting in his hold to reach out and touch the man again.

"Please, it'll be a lot easier."

The man glanced between the two of them before sighing in annoyance and pulling his wallet out of his back pocket.  He flipped it open and held out a driver's license that Eun Ah yanked out of his hands.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she kept re-reading the name on the card, refusing to accept the truth. The picture was his but the date of birth and age were totally different.

"K-Kang Jin Ho?" She repeated.

Himchan looked at the card over her shoulder before sighing sadly and easing it out of her grasp and handing it back to him.

"Sorry for the disturbance, Jin Ho-ssi. Is there any way I can make it up to you for your lost time?" Himchan asked politely.

The man just glanced at Eun AH before shaking his head, "It's fine. Just let me go."

"I just don't want to lose you." She mumbled softly, her eyes on the ground.

"I'm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter