Prologue

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eun Ah sat stiffly on the couch, her gaze lost on the clock hanging on the wall.

45 minutes to go.

The room smelled like stale potpourri and air freshener. It made her sick. Every breath was a struggle and just made her lungs feel heavy.

But then again, she was used to that feeling by now.

The room itself looked like it was decorated to distract from its real purpose.

The real reason why anyone would be there.

Her eyes stayed locked on the clock and it felt like ever second it ticked, it mocked her. Like it was reminding her that time only moved forward.

And there was no way of going back.

"Eun Ah, I have heard a lot about your fiancé."

Eun Ah didn't move or even face the other person in the room. That was what she did for the last hour. She just sat in pin drop silence, staring right over the person's head.

"He sounded like a wonderful man."

She still didn't move, but her left eye twitched when she heard the woman talk in past tense.

"Eun Ah, maybe it'll help if you talk it out."

Eun Ah moved her gaze to the picture of dogs playing poker. She found it horrifying.

The dogs were all seated around a poker table with a hanging lamp lighting the scene. They all wore little fedoras and one of them even had a cigar in its mouth. They were all seated up like humans, holding their cards.

Oh. What was that?

The Dalmatian was cheating with an extra card on its lap.

Riveting.  

She couldn't understand why anyone would want that hanging on their wall.

"Eun Ah, why don't we start but talking about why you're here today."

Eun Ah pulled her gaze from the disturbing picture and for the first time that day, met eyes with the woman across from her.

She was dressed in a sleek grey suit with a silk blue blouse under. She had glasses perched at the tip of her nose and her hair was tied up in a ponytail so tight that looked like it would hurt.

She had a clipboard balancing on her crossed knee and a pen in between her fingers. Eun Ah could see the woman's foundation caked between the folds in her skin and the lipstick that was perfectly applied.  

"Didn't Himchan already tell you?" Eun Ah's voice was soft, but deep and hollow. There were no emotions p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter