Chapter 36

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk sat in his study, wanting, with every cell in his body, to be with Eun Ah, but she was in her room and he had questions that needed to be answered.

He picked up the landline in his study and hit the first speed dial and waited as it rang on the other end for a few seconds.

"Eun Ah?" Woon asked when he finally picked up.

"Sorry to disappoint." Yongguk replied dryly.

"YOU! Where the hell were you!? We thought something happened to you! Why didn't you tell us where you were going?" Woon snapped.

Yongguk grunted and rubbed his face. "I didn't even know that I would be here. It all happened too fast."

"Why did you even leave the safe house in the first place?" Woon asked.

"Ryu sent me a message that he knew information about the man you paired me up with. It was more than I ever got from you, so I went to meet up with him." Yongguk said evenly, with a little bit of spite.

There was silence on the other end as Woon collected his thoughts after being hit with this information.

"Did…did you meet up with him?" He asked carefully.

"I must've been stupid to think that Ryu would ever show up. He hired some thug to beat the of me." Yongguk said with a grimace as he touched the bump on his head. Luckily the swelling went down but there were times when he'd still feel the ringing in his head.

"What were you thinking?" Woon scolded, angrily.

Yongguk felt his brow twitch in irritation, "I was thinking that I was sick and tired of being left out of the loop of my own damn plan. I saw the pictures of him at her parents' grave. You can't keep making me think that he has no connection to her."

Yongguk stared up at his ceiling in frustration. He shouldn't even have to be doing this right now. He should be with Eun Ah, trying to make things right, but here he was, running around like an idiot trying to piece his mistakes back together.

"Yongg--"

"Look, this isn't why I called. I wanted to ask you about Alice." Yongguk said as his eyes drifted to the picture of Eun Ah he had on his desk. He leaned forward and picked it up.

He remembered when he took the picture.

He has woken up early for some god forsaken reason and when he rolled over, he saw her completely unconscious with her limbs spread out without a care in the world.

He didn't know why, but at that moment he felt his heart flutter. She looked so warm and cozy that it struck him, for the millionth time, that she was warm and cozy in his house with him. He somehow created a home for her where she felt safe and comfortable.

He was dumb and careless and didn't have the first clue on how to make a woman as amazing as her, happy. He was guessing his way through it all, unsure if he was being a good enough man for her. Sure, recently he wasn't, but in the past he managed to stumble through it long enough for her to want to stay with him.

He remembered how he carefully grabbed his phone and stood on the mattress, above her, and took a picture of her splayed out.

It was like a reminder of what he had to live for.

That picture made him rethink so many dangerous decisions because he knew that whatever he did, none of it could hurt her. He'd be in the middle of creating a risky plan and glance up at that picture before scraping his idea.

"Alice? As in Alice Wong? Kris Wu's ex?" Woon chirped, snapping Yongguk out of his nostalgia.

Yongguk placed the picture frame down and rolled out of his chair. "I wouldn't really say ex."

"Yeah, well, what about her?"

"Did you really place her under witness protection from Ryu?"

"Wait, I'm confused, we are talking about the same girl, right? The one who died. Alice Wong was never under witness protection." Woon said, his voice lilted with confusion.

Yongguk didn't seem surprised with that revelation, "So she never made it out alive from Ryu's attack and you never sent her out of the country for witness protection?"

Woon balked, "Of course not! How could we? She's dead, Yongguk. Her body was at the scene of the accident. There were multiple autopsy's done and I could probably dig up forensic pictures taken of her body with her face in clear view. I couldn't have been involved in Alice's witness protection program because she wasn't alive to be put in one."

Yongguk stared out of the window in his study with a million questions floating around in his mind.

If Alice died, then who is staying with Kris, claiming to be his dead ex girlfriend?

Or maybe Woon's just keeping something from me…again.

"Why would you even ask that? Why bring her up now after all this time?" Woon asked curiously.

Yongguk didn't reply and Woon sighed when he realized that the man wasn't going to be any more forthcoming with his knowledge than Woon was about the mystery man.

"So you're back at the house, huh? Ho-How's Eun Ah? Does she know?" He tried shifting the topic.

Yongguk looked away and felt all the pent up anger and frustration melt away into a soft vulnerability that he rarely let show.

"Yeah." He said softly. "She knows."

"How did she take it?" Woon prodded gently.

Yongguk felt a prick of anger jolt his heart when he heard Woon. He hated that the detective always acted like he cared but never really did anything to help. Any time something bad happened, Woon was always involved in some way.

Woon was someone who would pull a pin out of a grenade and just dust his hands off while he watched everything explode.

"It's none of your business. What happens between me and her is none of your damn business! You've done nothing to help her, so just stop acting like you care."

"I do care about her. I care about you and her, that's why things need to go the way they are." Woon said defensively.

"That's what you always say! You're the person with all the answers, answers that involve us, but you refuse to tell us anything, instead you just want to watch us suffer!"

Silence.

For a second, Yongguk thought Woon had hung up until he heard the older man's defeated sigh.

"Yongguk, about your partner…" Woon started softly, changing the subject abruptly.

Yongguk's head perked up in hope that Woon may have come around.  

But he should've known better.

"Are you sure that when you went to go meet Ryu, you got nothing from him?" Woon reiterated slowly.

Yongguk groaned in annoyance, "No I di--"

Yongguk froze.

The envelope.

Right before the thug that beat him up left, he threw an envelope on Yongguk's chest. He hid it in his sweater when Eun Ah had come up to him and he never got a chance to look at it since then. SO much had happened that he'd been distracted and completely forgot it existed He wasn't even sure where it was now.

Probably in their room somewhere, but where would he start?

"Woon, I'll call you back. I have to go."

He had to find it.

He needed answers and this was the closest he was going to get.

He had to find it.

-----

When Eun Ah swung open her door, she was immediately attacked by a flying ball of fur. She squealed but then laughed when Watson started barking while jumping at her feet.

"Hey buddy, were you here all by yourself? Were your bored? Awwww." She cooed while scratching his face.

"Did you miss me?" She mumbled. Watson barked and her face until she scrunched her nose and lifted him off of her. She kissed his head before she placed him on the bed. She raised her brows when she noticed a note pinned on his collar.

Daehyun tried to give the dustbunny to me and I was not having any of that. Take it back. I'll drop by tonight. -H

Eun Ah snorted and kissed Watson on the head again. "That's a good boy. Gave Himchan hell, didn't you?"

Watson tilted his head with his tongue lolled out and watched her take her jacket and shirt off and toss them on the chair. She absentmindedly threw the closet door open and yanked Yongguk's sweater off the hanger and slipped it over her body.

She walked over to the bed and plopped down on the edge while lifting Watson onto her lap. She felt a little dazed as she his fur.

Yongguk and her were going to start over again, from scratch but she didn't know how it was going to work. Just because they said they were starting from the beginning didn't mean that their feelings were going back to scratch as well.

It was going to be hard, considering the past the two of them had, to start from Day 1, but she knew that they needed this. If they were ever going to have a future together, they needed this.

But how was she supposed to act like she still wasn't made to untrustworthy of him?

She still couldn't get used to the fact that he was there, in their house, alive, living like they should have all along.

There were times when she'd turn the corner and jump when she'd see him sitting on the couch.

She wasn't used to having him around all the time, after everything that had happened, but know that he was always within reach, she found herself having to assimilate to his presence.

He'd walk into a room and she wouldn't be able to tell if she was supposed to be happy or sad to see him.  She knew that when he saw her, he held himself back, and it hurt knowing that he was going through that, but it wasn't even close to measuring up to how he made her feel.

Watson must have gotten bored with her dazed expression when he huffed and wiggled out of her arms. Eun Ah watched in slight confusion as he bounced around the room until he found something from under a pile of papers.

He waddled over to her with his leash between his teeth and dropped it on the ground in front of her.

She gave him a small smile and crouched down to clip it onto his collar. "I'm guessing Himchan hasn't walked you since Daehyun and Yongmi dropped you off, huh?"

Watson seemed too excited over going for a walk to even pay attention to her. She threw her jacket on and tugged him towards her bedroom door.

Her mind was all over the place.

Maybe fresh air would do her some good.

-----

When Yongguk flung open his door, he was filled with so much determination and irritation since the only thing on his mind was finding that envelope.

He was going to have to tear the room apart and that was only assuming that no one threw it out on accident.

But when he stepped out of his study, he froze when he saw Eun Ah walk out of the bedroom with her dog's leash in hand.

He stood still, like a deer in headlights as she closed the door behind her and looked up, meeting his eyes.

Eun Ah took a step back, her heart pounding in her chest as Yongguk's eyes stayed pinned on her.

Suddenly, he couldn't remember what he was in a rush to do.

His lips parted in a sigh and his eyes softened as he drank her in. She would always be a sight for sore eyes. She had the most innate ability to ease his mind just by being around him. She could calm him down with as much as a smile. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter