Chapter 13

Come Back Home [Sequel to Home]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eun Ah tugged on her black dress before walking into the restaurant that Kris had told her to meet him at. He offered to pick her up, but she chose to just drive there herself. It gave her time to collect her thoughts and figure what the hell she was doing.

She didn't want to go but she felt obligated to. He scared her.

There was a part of her that was excited to be going out but another part of her reminded herself of the flushed, giddy euphoria she felt whenever she went out with Yongguk. Even three years into their relationship, she still felt like a teenager.

Not to mention the night usually ended with passionate that left her blissfully sore the next day.

She closed her eyes and gripped the door handle. It was beyond inappropriate to be thinking that even if meeting up with Kris wasn't supposed to be significant. But that was what Yongguk did to her. She'd still get shivers anytime she would remember the way he touched her, the way he made her feel. She couldn't blame herself.

She stepped into the restaurant that was filled with the sound of people talking and cutlery clinking against plates.

The one thing she was grateful for was that Kris had chosen a restaurant that she had never been to with Yongguk before.

She spoke to the hostess who led her to the table where her 'date' was waiting for her.

This wasn't a date.

It never would be.

Kris glanced up, dressed impeccably in a casual suit and stood up when hostess directed her to their table.

He flinched when his heart sped up and swallowed the lump in his throat. He kept his face straight but inside he was trying to wipe out the million thoughts that were running through his head. The million that all repeated the same thing over and over again.

She looks beautiful.

He wanted to look away, but Luhan made it clear that he had been acting standoffish enough for her to feel unwelcomed around him.

There was a lot of things that Kris wanted, but to scare her wasn't one of them.

It was just hard for him to be around her.

She made him feel weird and he didn't like it. He hated it.

She wasn't supposed to be the one that was effecting him. Ever since that day at the funeral, he found himself feeling weird and the saddest part was that he didn't know how to confront the new feelings.

The only thing he knew to do was scare people off with that stone face that he had perfected. And then out of nowhere he found himself reaching for her when he invited her over. He had no idea what he was trying to accomplish, if he wanted to just touch or if he wanted…more.

He may have seemed annoyed but a part of him was glad that Luhan interrupted them or he wouldn't know if he would be accountable for his actions.

Especially when he saw the discomfort in her eyes. And when Ryu made an attack he was so caught up in finding whoever shot at her that he barely registered the fact that she almost got shot.

He just wasn't used to people like her.

"Hi." She said quietly as she took a seat across from him.

Kris blinked at her and sat down as well, "You look beautiful."

Eun Ah jerked her head up and stared at him with masked eyes. "Thanks." She mumbled back, not fully appreciating the blatant compliment. She noticed how well he dressed and softened. She didn't have to be that difficult, he was just being nice. 

"You look good too." She added gently. 

"How's your arm?" Kris asked when he saw the small patch of gauze taped on her arm.

Eun Ah wanted to make a smart comment about how he seemed concerned for her now after not even caring at the hospital, but he seemed genuinely worried for her now. "It still hurts when I move it but it feels better now. Hurts a lot less too."

"I'm sorry."

She looked up, bewildered at the sound of his voice. It didn't sound empty or hollow like it normally did with his short answers.

It sounded regretful and his stone face broke when he winced to himself, his eyes filled with concern and  his brows knit together in worry.

Eun Ah's lip twitched upwards. "For what?"

Kris's shoulders sagged, just a fraction, but enough for her to notice. "I feel like I messed up."

Eun Ah was still in shock. He was completely different from all the times before. He spoke with actually emotion in his voice, instead of his typical robotic tone and he was using more than 2 words to respond to her.

He looked like a normal person and he spoke like one too.

"I'm sorry that you almost got shot and I'm really sorry for how I acted when you were at the house."

Eun Ah looked away,remembering the way he touched her face.

"I just wanted to know how you did it. How you were able to be happy."

She looked back at him but before she could say anything, their waiter came up, forcing them to put a halt on their conversation and order.

Once he left, an awkward silence fell over them again. Eun Ah cleared and played with the glass of water in front of her, not wanting to look at him.

Kris watched in amusement as she used her straw to play with her drink. He could see the heaviness in her eyes but something about her could you make comfortable.

Kris felt his spine relax as he leaned back in his chair and examined her. Her hair looked visibly lighter at the ends then from her wedding. She had a slim face but large eyes. There was no lie that she was a stunner.

"Do you know how awkward you're making this now?"

Eun Ah frowned at him, "Me? What are you talking about? I'm great!"

Kris's lips quirked up in an unconscious smile that took her aback, but made her smile nonetheless.  "You're acting like I'm not even sitting here. Do you think you're that amazing?"

Eun Ah scoffed, "That's because I am that amazing. I hope you're honoured to be in my presence."

A laugh escaped his lips. "Oh, madam, I am so grateful to be graced with your presence. I bow in humbleness. I bask in the glory that is your existence."

Eun Ah watched him with a small smile. His eyes lit up. They no longer looked like frozen daggers. They sparkled when his eyes tilted up and his lips parted with a chuckle.

He look like a kid. He looked so much better like this.

His eyes followed the arm that was playing with the water and saw the large engagement ring sparkle under the light.

"What did you mean when you asked me how I did it?"

Kris moved his gaze back to her. "Wha-?"

"Earlier you said that you wanted to know how I did it. What did you mean?"

Kris looked down at this hands. The cuffs of his suit rode up his wrist where he could see the top of Alice from Alice in Wonderland's hand poking out. She was the first thing he got tattooed. What was that? Like 10 years ago?

He really didn't want to bring up the topic when the two of them seemed to be much more relaxed, enjoying each other's company a bit more than before. "I just wanted to know how you dealt with the loss."

Eun Ah's hand froze over her glass. She stared at him with shaky eyes, almost angry at him for bringing it up.

"I don't have anything to tell you. I'm not some master at dealing with grief just because both my parents and my fiancée all died. It still hurts. You never get used to it. It never numbs. I have no advice to give you." She said coldly as she retreated her hand. She spun the ring anxiously on her finger.

Kris watched in panic as he could see her go back into her closed off world. Backing away from him. He should've known better to bring that topic up after what she had just been through. The both of them were having a good time, but he messed it up with that big mouth of his.

"Why do you even care? Did you lose somebody?" Her accusatory tone didn't offend him but he still felt nervous when her eyes seem to block off.

He reached his hand out, but before he could touch her, someone cleared their throat. He looked up and saw a different waiter than before holding their plates.

"The pasta?" The man asked darkly.

Eun Ah raised her hand, signalling that it was hers. She glanced up and did a double take at the man.

"That's mi--Jinbum?"

Kris blinked and looked between him and Eun Ah, confused.

"Oh what a coincidence! I didn't see you come in!"

Eun Ah stared at him with a smile working its way back up her lips, "What are you doing here? I thought you worked at the café."

Jinbum shook his head. "I just work there on the weekends. I'm work here on the weekdays."

Kris narrowed his eyes and inspected the man, feeling an odd familiarity with him.

Eun Ah pouted, "Why are you working two jobs. You should be at home relaxing with your kids

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter