Chapter 50 Endings and Beginnings

YOUR NO.1 FAN
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The sun had disappeared over the horizon, its orange glow dissipating in the night sky. Towering commercial buildings blur past and breathtaking scenery of the sea came into view. Donghae and Karin were on a road trip from Seoul to Mokpo in a sleek, silver white Mercedes, which he borrowed from one of his friends. He still has three days left for his break.

A thirty-minute drive was his limit, but since he met her, he could now endure an hour in traffic. The journey from Seoul to Mokpo takes three hours and, amazingly, not once did he complain. It was simply because she was with him. Every now and then, she would ask him to park the car for a quick rest or to eat some of the snacks she prepared. He loved being taken care of by Karin.

It was already past eight in the evening when they arrived. The moment the car parked outside, his mom burst the door open to welcome the two. Karin did not wait for him to open the door for her and bowed politely in front of his mother. Karin was so nervous despite Donghae’s comforting words.

“Good evening, I a-“

Before she could even finish her introduction, his mother had enveloped her in her gentle and warm arms.

“Karin, omma is so happy to finally see you,” she was smiling as she Karin’s hair. Pushing her gently forward, the woman giggled in delight. “My daughter is so pretty.” Karin blushed automatically at her compliment. “Aigoo, so cute,” the woman said caressing her pinkish cheeks. Donghae, too, reddened. Indeed, she was so adorable and cute, he kept himself from enveloping her in his arms that moment,.

“Thank you… o-omma,” she said shyly.

He put a hand over his mouth, and looked away. She called his mother, omma. It was as if he brought home his wife. Donghae was deeply touched at the scene before him. His mother and his love finally met each other.

“What are you doing standing there for?” Her mom’s commanding voice pulled him back to his senses. “Go get your bags while Karin and I will go inside.”

“Omma~” he whined like a little boy. “Where’s my hug?”

“Aigoo,” his mom chuckled and gave her son a proper hug.

Karin felt warm inside as she watched mother and son. In a way, they were the same; both living away from their parents.

“Karin, let’s go,” she held her hand and led her inside the house, leaving Donghae to carry the bags.

Dinner was lively with Donghwa telling stories about Donghae’s childhood, and his mom adding some juicy details as well. Karin giggled while Donghae groaned slouching in his chair.

“That’s enough. Those things are irrelevant,” he protested, looking away from her in embarrassment. However, it encouraged them further and Karin couldn’t help but join them in laughter. “Jagiya~” he whined, arms locked around her waist, pulling her close to him.

“But I want to hear more stories about you. I want to know more,” she patted his hand and gave him her pretty smile that he won’t be able to resist.

The stories continued until it was late in the evening. His mom decided to cut short the bonding time, thus saving his son from more embarrassment. Karin helped in clearing out the table and followed his mother to wash the dishes in the kitchen. Donghae tailed behind with the other plates, making sure that his mom wouldn’t say something unnecessary. However, his mom was two steps ahead of him.

“Donghae-ya, we, girls, need some time alone… we have lots of catching up to do,” she informed him, grinning.

Donghae froze and looked at his mom in disbelief, “Omma, how much more bonding time do you need? There’s nothing more to talk about since everything was said during dinner.”

“Lee Donghae.”

“Jagiya~”

His mom and girlfried said at the same time. Donghae knew he could never win against the two most important women in his life. With slumped shoulders, he walked out of the room, heaving a deep sigh. He just hoped that his jagiya won’t the next day.

The moment Donghwa caught sight of him coming out of the kitchen, the older brother sniggered.

“Hyung!”

“Okay, okay. But you should really give them time alone. You don’t know how much mother wanted to meet her,” Donghwa suddenly became serious.

Without nothing else to do, Donghae slumped on the couch right adjacent to his brother. There was a moment of silence between the two, which only lasted for a few minutes when Donghwa popped the question,

“So, is she the one?” His brother fixated his eyes on him.

Donghae straightened up, eyes blazing with certainty, “Yes, the only one.”

The two held each other’s gazes, the older looking for the sincerity in the younger, the latter showing his brother that he was dead serious and there was no doubt that Karin is the only one for him.

“Good. So do your best to keep her by your side.” Donghwa reached out his hand to him and squeezed his shoulder firmly, which he responded with a nod.

The sound of rushing water and plates hitting each other was like de ja vu to her ears. A pinkish glow lighting her cheeks as she drifted back to the kitchen in Santorini. Only this time, she was washing dishes with his mother. Her uneasiness earlier has disappeared. The woman was extremely kind and generous towards her, showering her with so much love the moment she stepped inside the house.

They talked about her parents, her life as a student and how they met. His mom wanted to hear straight from her, even though Donghae told her everything before. Listening to her speak, watching her every move down to her smile, the mother saw how impossible it would be for his son not to fall in love with the lady in front of her. She was genuinely kind and understanding – qualities that she was looking for her future daughter-in-law.

“Karin-ah,” she held Karin’s hand in both her hands gently and Karin felt her warmth. “In spite of what the future brings for the both of you, do not let go of his hand.” Her eyes gazed tenderly in Karin’s hands, caressing it.

“Ne, omma,” she nodded reassuringly, placing her other hand on top of his mother’s hands.

“The journey ahead… would be rough, filled with trials and obstacles. But those trials would make you better versions of yourselves. So, endure all those obstacles and come out victorious, together.”

Karin treasured everything his mother said. She would need it. The two shared a tight hug before leaving the kitchen to go to their respective rooms.

Donghae skipped to her side as

Please log in to read the full chapter