CHAPTER 13: KARIN'S SECRET

YOUR NO.1 FAN
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Donghae dropped Karin off at a distance from the park entrance, where not many people could see them. Before leaving him, Karin tells him where she would meet the others. He then parks his car at the other side of the park, near their secret place.

She then finds Shin, Jin and Junyoung near the center of the park, in front of the fountain. “Oppa, thanks for bringing your piano-organ,” she said as soon as she approached them. Junyoung was setting up his piano-organ for her. “Cut it Karin. I always bring this for you.” She chuckles saying, “I’ll buy one soon oppa. So you wouldn’t always have to carry yours.” Her piano is an upright type, not really the type one would bring for outdoor occasions. Junyoung shakes his head, “Aish, Karin. You can always use this.”

She then turns to face Shin and Jin, “So, how was your day together?” Shin answered, “It was fun Karin.” “Where did you go?” she asks. Jin interrupts saying, “None of your business, Karin..” But before he could continue, Shin slaps his arm saying, “You stop talking to her like that.” Karin backs off, laughing. She doesn’t want to be the cause of a love squabble. She just loves teasing Jin because she knows how embarrassed he gets when he is around Shin. What Shin did then, surprised her. Seeing a shy and soft-spoken Shin handle her noisy friend convinced her that she indeed is his perfect match. She can never shut Jin up.

Karin checks her watch. Almost 10 minutes passed and there is still no sign of Donghae. Actually, he has been watching her the whole time from a distance. He would like to see whether he could read Karin, without her noticing him staring at her. He laughs when he sees Karin looking in every direction people went. Alexa approached them panting, “Sorry, I’m late. Something came up..” Junyoung stands up saying, “It’s ok Alexa. We are kinda used to it,” making everyone laugh.

They got into position, even Jin was already holding his camera. He could see from where he was standing that Karin is really worried. He decides to call her. She picks up the call at once, saying, “Where are you? Are you ok? Were you chased..” She could hear him laughing.  “Ahh. Fishy!” she then laughs as well at herself for throwing so many questions. “Sorry Karin. I’m ok. Please continue with what you are doing,” he assures her. “Where are you?” she asks still scanning the crowd, looking for him. “I can see you from where I am standing. Don’t worry, I’m wearing a disguise and I’m not smiling,” he chuckled. “Not smiling?” she raised an eyebrow, sensing that he is safe, she says, “Ok. I’ll hang up now.”

In minutes, people in the park started gathering around them, young and old. Donghae could tell that they have been doing this for a long time, as the audience seemed to have been waiting for them to perform that time. They started out with a couple of country songs, and to his amazement, the audience started dancing. It was followed by contemporary music. Karin was still looking at the audience, trying to find him, which made Donghae feel happy inside. They ended with a couple of k-pop songs, which even the older generation enjoyed.

After their performance, a lot of people greeted and thanked them. Donghae went closer to them and was surprised that Karin was not there. He began searching from left to right.

Pop! A balloon popped near his ear startling him. He turned around, a little shocked, only to see Karin, grinning, “Found you.” He instantly pinched both her cheeks saying, “I told you not to scare me.” Karin gripped his wrists taking his hands of her cheeks, “that hurt,” she said. He was just laughing at her, she looked so cute with her red cheeks and her eyes squinting. She was still rubbing her cheeks, saying, “We should go now. We still have to cook.” Karin then approaches her friends telling them that she needs to go home to cook dinner. Jin was about to tag along, pulling Shin with him, when Shin stopped him. Karin looked back, as if she heard Jin call her name, but she saw Shin waving at her. She waved back and walked with Donghae towards his car.

“Karin, do you always perform at the park?” he asks. “Yes, for almost a year now, I guess. Only if the weather is good and we are not that busy with school work. It’s just a hobby, we do it for fun, no pressure at all.” They were walking next to each other, when Donghae began noticing a lot of couples all sweet and cuddly walking together. He looks at Karin, who doesn’t even seem to notice at all. He sighs, knowing it would take a lot before Karin would realize these things.

They finally arrived at the apartment and started unloading the groceries. Karin handed Donghae a knife and a chopping board, “You do the chopping, while I do the marinade.” Karin started mixing water, soy sauce, 3 cloves of garlic, a bit of ginger, a tablespoon of sesame seed oil and one and one half tablespoons sugar in a measuring cup. She asks Donghae, “How much red chilli powder should I add?” Donghae looks at her, tears flowing from his eyes, “Just a little, you are not used to spicy food.”  Karin took pity on him, as she saw him painstakingly chopping the onions. “I’ll do it Fishy. You do the marinade,” she said moving closer to Donghae. He refused, “I’m okay Karin. I don’t want to see you cry because of this onion.” She insisted getting hold of the said onion, “I’ll do it. I’m more used to chopping onions than you.” He takes back the onion and continued chopping it. Karin could only smile and watch him, tears flowing from his eyes, chopping an onion.

She puts a dash of black pepper and just a bit of red chilli pepper to the marinade. She then starts cutting the chicken into pieces. From time to time, she would check on Donghae who was really doing a good job cutting the potatoes, carrots, garlic, peppers and the onion. She poured the marinade over the chicken pieces, which were already in a bowl. After 30 minutes of marinating, she puts the chicken along with the marinade in the skillet and cooks over medium heat. Donghae has now recovered from the onion and is beside her in front of the stove. Once the chicken was almost done, Donghae puts in the cubed potatoes. He would occasionally mix them and check if the potatoes are almost cooked, while Karin cooks the rice. Once in a while, Donghae would steal a glance at Karin. He would start imagining them together as husband and wife in the future. He kept smiling while cooking, not noticing that Karin was staring at him. “Fishy, umm, if you are ready, we can add the rest of the vegetables now,” once again waking him up from his dream. Karin puts a cover and cooks it on low heat.

Donghae starts cleaning up the table, throwing the vegetable peels in the trash can and starts the dish washing, his expertise. Karin then puts back the other ingredients in the cabinet. He could not help but smile, reminiscing his day with her. He became her prince in front of the kids, her l

Please log in to read the full chapter