CHAPTER 12: THE 'DATE'

YOUR NO.1 FAN
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

WARNING: A VERY LONG CHAPTER AHEAD 

 

“Aren’t you going to lunch with me?!” Karin shouted. She was already at the school gate, while Donghae was still standing in front of the building’s entrance, still caught up in his excitement of finally eating lunch with Karin. As soon as he came back to his senses, he ran towards Karin, grabbed her hand and said, “Let’s go princess.” Karin who was taken by surprise, wriggled her hand saying, “Fishy, let go of me. Where are you taking me?” He just looked back at Karin smiling and still holding her hand firmly, “out for lunch.” Karin just shook her head and sighed. She could tell that her friend is in a good mood so she just let him take her by the hand to wherever it is he has in mind.

At a distance, she could see a white Audi parked near the apartment complex she was staying. “Is that your Audi?” she asked while pointing at the said vehicle. He just smiled and nodded. He opened the door for her, and started the engine. Karin just kept looking at her friend who has a big smile plastered on his face. She chuckled, “Why are you so happy? What’s the occasion?” He glanced at her briefly, and replied, “You’ll see.”

It was a short drive, only 15 minutes. Karin didn’t wait for Fishy to open the door for her; she just got herself out of the car, startling Donghae. He finally made it next to her. “This is” he started but Karin was laughing, saying, “How’d you know this place?” He was taken aback by what she said. “It’s my secret place,” they both said in unison. They looked at each other amazed and surprised on how that place was both special to them and then ended up both laughing. It was the other side of the park, a remote area where not much people go to. Hidden beyond the rusty fence and crowded trees, is an old outdoor theatre stage or what remains of it.

“The park is always crowded,” Karin started as she sat on one of the concrete steps, “but I wanted to be alone that day and hide from Jin” She chuckled. “So somehow, my feet dragged me to this place.” He was just staring at her the whole time and broke from the trance when Karin suddenly looked at him. Avoiding her stare, he chuckled, “I was chased around by fans around this area and somehow, this became my safe hideout.” Karin suddenly laughed at him, as she remembered the day they were chased by his fans, while Donghae just looked at her with worry in his eyes, “Do you still go here?” 

Karin stopped laughing and faced Donghae, “sometimes,” she said with a weak smile. But before Donghae could say anything, Karin laughed saying, “Gotcha! You definitely fell for it.” Donghae playfully ruffled her hair, “Why you...!” She was still laughing, but managed to say, “Sorry fishy. Don’t worry about me. I’m not always sad when I go here.” Karin suddenly stood up, brushed her pants and said, “Let’s get lunch. I’m getting hungry.”

Aish Donghae, how come you forgot the most important thing- THE FOOD!Donghae hurriedly stood and ran towards his car, leaving the confused Karin behind. He looks back and shouts “Wait there!! I’ll go get the food!” Worried that her friend might get recognized, she follows him. When she finally reached the car, she saw Donghae pulling out a basket from the trunk. “You prepared our lunch?” Karin said as she walked closer to him. “Karin ~” he said pouting. “What?” she said, her eyes on the basket. For once, stop giving me a heart attack.  Karin raised her left brow, “What did I do?” Donghae couldn’t face her; do you know how hard it is to keep my heart in place?  

“You startled me. You always do that.” Donghae frowned. Karin chuckled at his expression, “Me? I just asked a question. It’s because you were always spacing out. What’s bothering you anyway?” He closed the trunk and avoided looking at her, it’s you, Karin. My thoughts are always filled with you. And it drives me nuts figuring out how to tell you I love you.

Karin crossed her arms, “ok, ok. Fine. Don’t tell me.” She then walks back to their secret place. A flustered Donghae quickly follows after her, “Sorry Karin...Karin, don’t get mad.” She kept walking and increased her pace. Finally, Donghae catches up to her and blocks her path, only to find Karin, trying hard to keep herself from laughing.

“Aish,” He scratched the back of his head, and then pinched her cheek, “Stop scaring me like that.” She pouted, “You started it.” He lets go of her cheek, what am I to do if I lose you? “It’s nothing Karin. Just work…” he said. She then flashed him her smile, “Stop thinking about it for now. Let’s just have fun. It’s your break, after all.”

Karin helped Donghae set up the picnic blanket and started taking out the contents of the basket. The food was placed in thermal containers to keep it warm. He really thought about every detail. He couldn’t help but to laugh silently as Karin’s eyes widen each time they pull out a container. He woke up early that morning to start the chopping. Then, Hankyung and Ryeowook helped him cook the dishes. He begged them to help him, earning him a lot of dishes to wash for the week. Eunhyuk just watched his friend from the side, amazed on how love could make a person do things he never usually do. So far, his plan was working perfectly.

Karin was deeply touched by his thoughtfulness. “Thanks fishy. I really appreciate these...all of these.” Donghae kept blushing and said, “I just want to do something special for you.” He could not wait to tell the guys about his day, but he must control his excitement first, since there is still a long day ahead.

Karin caught his stare, and asked, “Why?” He could hear his wild heartbeat; she caught him off guard once again. Helpless, he just said, “to thank you for accepting me…as your friend.” His last words caused a sting in his heart. He couldn’t bring himself to say it; for fear that Karin might reject him. The ever-so-clueless Karin smiles brightly and says, “Ohh...I’d love to be your friend. Heck, I’ll always be your friend if you always treat me like this,” causing Donghae to suddenly look at her, quizzical. Karin then laughed, “Just kidding. Seriously, thanks Fishy. No one has ever done this for me. When we go out on picnics, I am always the one preparing the food. It’s nice to know that you care about me.” Donghae was definitely on cloud nine hearing such sweet words from his princess.

 “Wait! You did not wake up early just because of this did you?” Karin raised her voice, her tone slightly changed, causing him to fall from the clouds. Scared of Karin’s sudden outburst, he shook his head vigorously. “Fishy ~ it’s your day off. You should be resting…” Karin said, now with a lower and calmer tone. He just kept shaking his head, “No...No, Karin... I want...I want to do this for you.” Karin stood up and to his surprise; she hugged her from the back, “thank you. I’m really blessed to have a friend like you.” He felt warm and fuzzy; he was just silent and frozen, as if time stood still for him. He wanted it to last. For him, it was the greatest feeling on earth – to be held by the person he loves the most.  She then released him from her embrace and started putting food in her plate. Apparently, he was still dazed by what happened that he did not feel any hunger.

There were vegetable rolls, fish fillet, fried dumplings, breaded chicken strips, fried rice and a whole lot of side dishes; Donghae couldn’t think of what Karin would like. As a result, Karin couldn’t decide what to eat first. Noticing that her friend is not touching the food he prepared, she said, “Fishy, why aren’t you touching the food? It’s delicious.” Karin then picks up a fried dumpling with her chopsticks and places it near his mouth, “aaahhh,” she was ordering him to open his mouth. Shyly, he opened his mouth and ate the dumpling. Karin was staring at him the whole time, waiting for his reaction after tasting the food, while Donghae’s face turned to different shades of red.

“Yummy isn’t it?” she asked. He could just only nod at her. He then picked up a breaded chicken strip and motioned it towards Karin, who gladly opened . While eating it, she gave him two thumbs up. “It’s really tasty fishy. You are a better cook than me,” she complimented. He denied it by saying, “I got a lot of help from Wookie and Hangeng-hyung.”

“Oh...” she kept nodding, “extend my gratitude to Ryeowook-shii and Hangeng-shii. Tell them I’ll cook for them one time. I’ll make dinner for you later.”

“No…no need Karin. Seeing you enjoy the food is enough.” It’s true he never wanted Karin to repay it. “I insist! I’ll cook for you and that’s final” Karin was determined to cook for him

Please log in to read the full chapter