Chapter 44: A Father's Heart

YOUR NO.1 FAN
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

More than a million hits in less than a second, Donghae gulped as her dad browsed the links. He prayed that none of the articles bearing false information about him would appear. Her dad started with Wikipedia and he was asking basic ‘yes’ and ‘no’ questions, which Donghae answered truthfully.

“It’s a good thing that you are famous. A lot of information about you is available at my disposal,” the old man would constantly look at Donghae then back at the screen. “That kid really did me a favour.” He was referring to Jin, who spilled almost everything about Donghae.

“Ye-yes, sir.” At that moment, he wasn’t sure whether it is a good thing that he is famous or not.

“How’s my Hangul?” he asked out of the blue.

“Its fine, sir. I could understand you completely.”

“Great. Jin’s dad and I started a business in Korea in our younger days. He taught me the language,” his eyes then shifted back to the screen.

“Am I intimidating you?” her father asked noticing that Donghae didn’t dare move or change his sitting position. His back was straightened, hands resting or rather holding his knees.

“Yes, sir. I am really nervous right now,” he was so honest, as his eyes set on the man in front of him.

“Good. You are nervous and scared that I might not approve of you for my daughter. I just want to know more about the one who dares take my daughter away,” her father’s eyes narrowed into slits then a wide grin played in his face as he continued surfing the net.

“Ye-yes sir. Please continue asking me questions,” he was so determined to prove his worth.

To his surprise, the older man chuckled, “Don’t be too scared or my daughter will get mad at me if I scare you away.”

Donghae nodded, “I won’t run away, sir. I am willing to do anything just to earn your trust.”

“You are getting there,” her father set aside his laptop and looked at him straight in the eye. His voice was still deep and serious, but with a lot of kindness in his tone.

“Thank you sir,” he said softly, relieved.

“You are a famous celebrity and yet, you dropped everything just to come here and talk to us. Thank you for honouring me as her father. Other guys would take advantage of our absence, but I see that you are different.”

Donghae felt humbled at her father’s words that he lowered his head, tears b in his lids. He could contain his joy. Her father saw his efforts.

“As a father, I only wanted what’s best for my daughter. She is an only child and I treasure her the most. So, please understand that I won’t hand her that easily. I still have reservations about you, but I am willing to listen to what you have to say.”

“I understand completely, sir. I am grateful for this chance that you have given me,” he knelt on the floor and lowered his head.

“That’s enough. Sit, sit,”her father laughed lightly. “Tell me, out of all the girls around you, why my Karin? How did you meet?”

“I first saw her in a video, sir,”he started and saw the confusion in her father’s eyes. “Jin recorded her delicate hands as she played her version of our song, ‘Sorry, sorry.’ Towards the last second of the video, her face was captured and since then, I was undeniably captivated by her music and her.”

“Oh, that kid. He always takes photos and videos of Karin ever since they were young. It was his dream to make his own movie and Karin was the only one who agreed to be his subject, despite being shy.”

“I know, sir. There was this one video, wherein Karin kept blocking the camera lens with her hands,” he chuckled as the scene played in his mind.

“So, you have first seen her in Jin’s videos before meeting her in person?”

“Yes, sir. I am her number one fan,” he said proudly.

The father let out his boisterous laughter. “Oh really? Does she know?”

“I kept telling her, sir, when I finally got the chance to meet her in person. I attended their concert at the university.”

“And she told you to stop saying that,” her father took the words from him.

“Yes sir,” he smiled. Her father knows her very well.

“Music led you to each other. Who would’ve thought that a famous celebrity would fall for my daughter? Its amazing how two people meet despite walking in different paths.”

“I believe that its destiny. The main purpose of my existence is her – that I know very well.”

“Well said, young man, very well said.”

“I know about her promise to you and I’ll help her fulfil that promise. All that I am asking for, is that on the day she graduates, please allow me to be her boyfriend,” he once again bowed his head low. “I love her so much to the point that I could not imagine a l

Please log in to read the full chapter