Chapter 35 Unexpected

YOUR NO.1 FAN
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Looks like everytime I update, I lose a subber, haha!

As promised, here's the real update ^^

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Donghae stood watching and waited until the SUV drove off. Still cautious with his surroundings, he then walked to the compound and saw her looking for her key in the bag. Despite the heartbreaking scene that he saw earlier, a smile quickly formed in his face which turned to a soft chuckle. Her face showed irritation over not finding her key, and right then, he wanted to pinch her cheeks.

 

Sneaking behind her, Donghae called her name, “Karin~” She turned her head to look over her shoulder when she felt his finger poking her cheek. He had positioned his pointer finger just right behind her, under her ear. Karin pouted and squinted her eyes at him for his trick. This made him laugh even more.

 

“Fishy~” she whined, puffing her cheeks in frustration. He stopped laughing and took her bag from her. “Are you sure you didn’t forget your key inside?” he glanced up and saw her nodding. “It’s not here,” he said after pulling out the contents of the pockets and returning them back. She let out a deep sigh, “I never forget my key,” she muttered looking somewhere on the ground.”

 

He clearly saw the tired look on her face, and felt that she was bothered by something… other than her key. “Come here,” he held her hand and pulled her closer to his arms. Karin leaned her head on his chest without saying a word. Things have been too much for her to handle, even with Jin helping her. He wanted to ask her about her day but understood that it won’t do any good after seeing her in such state. Donghae would not want to add to her dilemma.

 

After a few minutes, she pulled away smiling, “Thanks Fishy, I badly needed a hug.” He her hair, looking lovingly at her, “I have lots to give. No need to ask.” She blushed instantly at his words and smiled gratefully at him.

 

“I…It’s getting late Fishy, you should go back now.” She was still worried of what will happen to him if found out that he was visiting an unknown girl.

 

“I can’t… How could I leave you here, outside?” His voice was filled with worry, as expressed in his eyes.

 

“Don’t worry. I… I’ll…” She was thinking hard of how to appease him, but just couldn’t find the words.

 

“She’ll borrow the spare key from me.” Jin had said it for her and her smile widened in relief. Jin has a duplicate for emergency purposes. Her bestfriend dangled the spare key in front of her and her eyes followed as Jin opened the door for her.

 

“Thanks Jin.”

 

“Ahhh,” he rubbed his head in embarrassment, “don’t mention it hyung. It’s kinda my job to look after this girl,” patting Karin’s head.

 

Soon, if she allows me, you would retire from that job and I’ll take over… a contract that would last a lifetime.

 

All his worries disappeared as soon as the door was opened. However, it meant that he would leave soon. Nonetheless, just a few moments with her would be enough to make him whole. He could not stay longer if he wants to see more of her in the following days. He had to be careful for Karin’s sake.

 

“I’m heading off now,” he said with a faint smile.

 

The two nodded and Karin said, “Take care. See you again soon.”

 

What she said instantly painted a smile on his face and heart. “I will!” He waved and soon left the premises.

 

 

Days passed and soon two weeks were over. Donghae kept his word, visiting her only three times. Fortunately, rumours spreading in the cafes died down; giving him a peace of mind, but it doesn’t mean that he could put his guard down. Jake would occasionally pop in his head but he fought hard, battling with him mentally.

 

Jake, on the other hand, wasn’t planning to back down that easy. He saw them together one night when he planned to visit Karin. Jealousy and anger welled inside him. Right then and there, he knew that Donghae was the reason for her rejection. Like any man, he loves a challenge and it made him want to pursue her more. He had never wanted anything badly in his life. Karin was driving him insane.

 

In those two weeks, Karin spent her weekends with his parents. Jin can see that she was having a hard time with the situation. He could not bear to ask her not wanting to make her relive it. Instead, he would always do something random and crazy to take her mind off it.

 

It was a Sunday afternoon and Jin just woke up from his nap. Wiping the sleepiness away, he opened the refrigerator to have a cold drink. As he chugged water from his tumbler, his eyes caught a shadow… something or someone moved. His apartment was dim, with only the light coming from the sun seeping from the curtains. His mind went overdrive as he shifted in defense mode. ing his ever-trusty butter knife forward, he called out, “Karin, is that you?!”

 

He didn’t get any reply and silence filled the whole unit. Brandishing his weapon, he squinted his eyes surveying his surroundings. “Back off… I have a weapon.”

 

“What’s with you and that butter knife?” The lights in the living room went on as soon as she finished speaking.

 

“And what’s with you and the darkness?” He answered back, lowering his guard as he walked towards her.

 

He slumped on the couch opposite her and waited for what she was going to say. Karin looked straight ahead, but her eyes weren’t on him. “They invited me to company’s 20th anniversary ball on Saturday.”

 

He nodded fully grasping what’s going to happen next. “You are going.” It can’t be helped. Their secret would be revealed if she goes against him. It wasn’t explicitly said, but Jin knew that Jake had Karin on an emotional blackmail. Her kind soul would not be able to go against her parents. With his parents spending time with her, showering her with love and kindness, Jin knew how hard it must have been for Karin to tell them that she never loved their son. Gripping the handle of the butter knife, oh how he wanted to slit Jake’s throat for putting her through such an ordeal.

 

“Just tell me what to do Karin.” His eyes burned in anger to see the sadness and worry in her eyes.

 

Karin forced out a smile, but it won’t fool him. “Jin, just keep your phone always with you that day.”

 

“I always have my phone with me…” His voice trailed off, not getting what she was heading at. “What are you planning?”

 

“I’ll be fine. Promise me… your phone?” She stood up, her eyes not leaving his until he replied.

 

He hesitated for a bit, mentally weighing the pros and cons. “Can’t I go with you?” It wasn’t a question, but more like a request. “Just in case that Jake pulls something stupid~”

 

She chuckled and hugged him tightly, “Thanks Jin. I am a big girl now. I can take care of myself.”

 

“Promise?” He held out his pinky finger.

 

“Promise.” She entwined hers with his.

 

 

Draped in a flowing turquoise long gown, all eyes inside the hall were on her as she graced down the staircase. Her hair was pulled up in a braided bun, emphasizing her silk smooth neck and bare shoulders. She was wearing a diamond pendant that matched the sparkle in her eyes. 

 

 With one compass from the conductor’s hand, the once up beat orchestra music turned to a serenade, fit for a princess. Her eyes landed at the bottom of the stairs, where he was standing in his black tuxedo gazing at her beauty. Jin’s scrunched face popped in her head and she remembered how he was totally against her wearing that. Jake sent her the gown which made him more furious; he kept yelling and pointing, “Easy access!!” For a brief moment, Karin forgot about her surroundings and chuckled.

 

From a distance, a heart was breaking. He stared longingly at his princess, wishing to be the prince waiting for her. Her smile was heavenly; if only it was him she was smiling at. He mistook her smiles given to the man who reached out his hand for her.

 

Hands gripped his shoulders and patted his back as everything in front of him faded, leaving only her with the person he now abhors.

 

Karin took his hand; as if it was the right thing to do… sh

Please log in to read the full chapter