Chapter 36: The Promise

YOUR NO.1 FAN
Please log in to read the full chapter



Music Playlist at MixPod.com

 

 

They both hung up at the same time, and all they could hear were their hearts pounding hard as their chests tightened, making it hard to breathe. She stared at the door, tears pouring down her cheeks. He was just on the other side, yet it seemed like they were worlds apart. It wasn’t a dream. They bid goodbye without even starting a relationship together.

 

Donghae sat in bed, as rivers of hot liquid spilled from his eyes. A hand over his mouth, he tried to muffle the sound of his cry, not wanting to trouble the others. He just… let her go. It would be better this way… Her life would always be complicated if she chose me… His mind tried to convince him that what he did was right, but his heart retaliated, screaming otherwise.

 

Even though her knees felt weak, she strained her legs to move. The air was suffocating her, she had to go away… leave and never show herself. I sincerely hope you find the one you are destined to be with… and I hope that you would not shed a tear anymore. It was her ardent wish for a friend… for Fishy, her first love.

 

 She walked slowly, clutching her chest, then darted off to the elevator almost bawling over a person.

 

“I’m sorry.” Karin slightly bowed her head without stopping, partly covering her tear-streaked face with her hand.

 

Sungmin froze at the sudden contact. His eyes could be possibly playing tricks on him. Karin just passed by him, crying. Without second thoughts, he turned back and followed her, calling her name, “Karin, wait!”

 

Karin did not need to look behind to know who was calling. It was her Sungmin-oppa, trying to catch up with her. A few more Super Junior members then came out from the lift and saw her in tears. “Karin!”

 

Stepping back, she ran towards the stairs. Ryeowook and Kibum were taken aback at the sight, but before they could follow her, Sungmin stopped them. They nodded, knowing that it was best that only one talked to her.

 

“Karin,” he finally caught up with her. Her hand was holding onto the railing, and her legs won’t move. Tears continued to flow from her eyes and Sungmin didn’t have to ask.

 

“Oppa!” she wailed and buried her face on his chest.

 

A tear flowed from his eye as well as he patted her back. She was like a younger sister. It was clearly a misunderstanding and he’ll deal with it as soon as he goes back to their unit. They stayed like that for some time, until her sobs subsided. Pulling away, Karin kept saying sorry and he shook his head, “It’s not your fault.” Cupping her face, he lifted it up so that she could look into his eyes, “Hold on a little while longer. We’ll sort things out.” She smiled as she wiped her tears, “You don’t have to burden yourself, oppa. Thank you very much for all the kindness you have shown me. I guess… It would be better if I kept my distance.”

 

“Karin, don’t say-“

 

“What I’ve done… the pain I have caused…” She looked up, keeping her tears from spilling once again, “I too would say that if I were him. I think it’s just how it ought to be. Who am I kidding?” Karin laughed bitterly. For how long had she held on to the possibility that they could be together, but now, it was highly doubtful… so unreal that it could only be wishful thinking.

 

“Don’t say that. I, for one, dream to meet my other half and I’ll find her, wherever she is. The two of you give me that hope that despite being a celebrity, I, too, could find my one true love.” Sungmin blushed at his sudden confession. What he said was true, in his eyes, Donghae and Karin belong to each other.

“I’m sorry. It wasn’t the case for us. I know you’ll find her oppa.” There was a hint of sadness in her voice, but she tried to let out a small smile for him. He had been a very kind oppa to her. “I think it’s time for me to say good bye.”

 “It’s not like we aren’t seeing each other. I’ll talk to that dongsaeng of mine and knock some sense out of him.” He helped her brush away her tears.

She held his hand, “It wasn’t his fault. Just listen to him, oppa. He needs it...”

With that, she slowly released his hand and walked down the stairs, with a heavy heart.

 

Sungmin entered their apartment banging the door behind him, startling his hyungs and dongsaengs. A worried Leeteuk rushed over to him to ask about Karin but he simply ignored him and walked straight to Eunhyuk’s and Donghae’s room. Apparently, Ryeowook and Kibum told Leeteuk what they have witnessed but it wasn’t enough to know what’s wrong between the two. The others were oblivious of the situation that Sungmin’s sudden actions troubled them.

 

“Yah, Donghae open the door!” he knocked but Donghae wasn’t responding in any way. “OPEN THE DOOR!!” His voice rose making the others stop from what they were doing to look at him. Leeteuk tried to calm him down but he won’t let it go. “Hyung, let me handle this. I won’t let him do something stupid as this.”

 

Leeteuk was holding Sungmin’s arm and were arguing right outside the door when Donghae came out of the room. His eyes were red and swollen like Karin’s and Sungmin knew he was crying. “What’s with all the noise, hyung? Can’t I get some peace and quiet?”

 

“Yes,” he nodded, “You’ll get your PEACE and QUIET after I give you a PIECE OF MY MIND!!” He screamed at his dongsaeng’s face, glaring at him. Donghae was taken aback at his sudden outburst. “Hyung… what’s wrong with you?” he asked, confused. It was seldom that he sees his hyung this infuriated.

“What’s WRONG with ME? No, Donghae. What’s WRONG with YOU?!” He pointed a finger at him. Donghae and the others couldn’t understand what he was driving at. “THIS!” He now pointed at his shirt. Donghae shook his head in annoyance and walked past him.

“MY SHIRT IS WET!”

 

Donghae stopped in his tracks, “and so?”

 

“My shirt is wet with her tears.”

 

He froze as realization hit him head on. Slowly turning to face his hyung, he felt a pang in his heart. “Ka… Karin.” The pain grew intense as he uttered her name.

“She nearly bumped into me, running through the corridors… crying.” Sungmin’s h

Please log in to read the full chapter